[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux versus thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: linxu.png (143KB, 1500x300px) Image search: [Google]
linxu.png
143KB, 1500x300px
Hey /g/, what Linux distro within this three on picrel meets these requirements the best?

- is not bloated
- works well on most notebooks (and doesn't burn your CPU)
- supports many programming languages, especially new like Go, Rust etc.
- has big repo and doesn't force you to compile every package
- is relatively stable due to freshness of packages
- can be configured nicely and almost everything can be suited for your personal needs

Feel free to add other distros.
>>
slackware bestware
>>
File: yui2.png (492KB, 800x770px) Image search: [Google]
yui2.png
492KB, 800x770px
>I don't want bloat
>I want pre-installed languages
>I don't want to compile stuff myself
>I want unlimited customization
>>
Debian Sid
>>
>>43053592
Arch?
>>
>>43053592
You just described Arch.
>>
>>43053668
>>43053693
I'm using Arch now but it's some pain in ass that Flash make my notebook hot as hell, probably it works better on Fedora for example.
>>
I run Arch on my laptop and it idles/web browses at 30C while windows just idles at 60 on it.
>>
>>43053716
>using flash
>2014
>>
>>43053693
>>43053668
not OP, Arch with MATE or Fedora with MATE? Also what DE do you recommend?
>>
>>43053716
Then don't use Flash or use extremely lightweight DE like Openbox.
>probably it works better on Fedora for example.
Linux is not BSD.
>>
>>43053716
Flash is flash, how could it work better on one distro than the other?

Also this >>43053780
>>
>>43053803
Also is Arch a good distro to learn Linux? Thanks!
>>
>>43053843
you will learn Linux just by trying to install Arch
>>
>>43053592
why cant i find a distro that plays nice with my desktop?

debian is a little too outdated
fedora lacks fglrx support and for some reason refuses to install GRUB to any of my drives
slackware comes with LILO, which causes my system to refuse to even boot for some reason
opensuse installer doesnt even support encrypting your OS partitions
mints repos have gone full retard each time ive used it
same with ubuntu
kubuntu is a broken piece of shit
fuck gentoo
fuck the BSDs too

also, can arch be used in any way that prevents it from becoming a complete and utter waste of time? its the one distro i havent tried yet
>>
>>43054368
After your initial setup, arch is probably simpler to keep running than any of the others thanks to the huge amount of information out there on its wiki and mailing lists. If you plan on installing a de then the setup shouldn't take more than a few hours following the guides on the wiki. I just installed it for the first time and I went with just a wm and was left with a lot to configure myself as a result (still easy since the wiki walks you through that for just about anything you want to install) it took me a day and a half to make sure I had absolutely everything I wanted on here and get my vim configs set up and everything.

Maybe check out Antergos, I used that briefly and that was pleasant (although somewhat pointless given how easy Arch is to install)
>>
>>43054368
Arch isn't a waste of time at all, the only thing it has that is different from other distros is lack of preinstalled software and the AUR which is incredibly convenient.
>>
>>43054217
how can anyone learn anything by following simple instructions?
>>
>>43054368
>opensuse installer doesnt even support encrypting your OS partitions
I've never used opensuse but why would you ever encrypt your os partition?
>>
>>43054535
sounds like a bit of a pain, whats it like managing your packages on arch? i like to try new software often, so ease and speed of install is important to me, i just want it to werk on first try
>>
>>43053592
>- is relatively stable due to freshness of packages
Not possible, you cannot have both stability and bleeding edge packages. Otherwise it seems like you want Debian Unstable (Sid) or Arch, pick your poison. Both are pretty unstable.

>>43054368
>debian is a little too outdated
You can use backports and external repos if you need certain software to be up-to-date. Failing either of those, you can make your own backports or compile from source.
>>
can't we all just get along? haha
>>
>>43053592
Debian/crunchbang if you're lazy and want it to just werk

Arch if you want bleeding edge and AUR
>>
>>43053592
Debian Testing (AKA. Jessie).

Only downsides are that you'll have to wait a little bit longer for packages, but once you get them they're usually well tested, and systemd.
>>
>>43054623
if you are a total noob and you never really got your hands on Linux, you will probably struggle with following them
>>
>>43053716

Flash makes my fucking everything hot, it's shit. html5 is much better avoid flash at all costs.
>>
>>43053815
That is called a window manager. Not a desktop environment.
>>
>>43054706
It always has for me. Use yaourt and package management is really simple even installing stuff from aur. I haven't gotten around to checking gentoo out and I hear portage is nice but yaourt (which is pretty much a wrapper around pacman) is way better than anything I've used before.
>>
>>43054877
>Only downsides are that you'll have to wait a little bit longer for packages, but once you get them they're usually well tested, and systemd.
Did you hear that the other day they removed the Nvidia drivers from Testing? People are bitching all over the place about how their update broke their system.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/558502

Bottom line: Testing and Unstable are unstable, just because someone has used them for a certain amount of time doesn't mean they won't blow up in your face.

>usually well tested
They go from Unstable to Testing if they don't find bugs within 10 days. That's not exactly the most thorough examination.

Also there's the downside to Testing in that it doesn't receive timely security updates.

https://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing
>>
>>43053592
either arch or debian sid
fedora is shit, #! is debian and with slackware you'll have to do some compiling
>>
>>43054941
>not using proprietary nvidia drivers
Anyway, most people can live with those minor issues.
>>
>>43054995
What's wrong with fedora?
>>43055015
And yet people bitch on Arch.
>>
>>43055015
>Anyway, most people can live with those minor issues.
>xorg refuses to start, stuck at the cli
>most people can live with it
>>
>>43053592
>- is totally unstable due to muh new packages
typical arch user
>>
>>43053592
You just described Arch
>>
SolydX - the only debian distro worth using
>>
Xubuntu
>>
Why do I have to read 3 1000 page manuals just to understand one Linux distribution?

Why can't I just use Windows now that we know Linux is even less secure than it?

Tell me this, Linuxfags.
>>
>>43055736
>Why can't I just use Windows now that we know Linux is even less secure than it?
Gonna need a bigger bait.
>>
>>43055030
>What's wrong with fedora?
it's basically arch with a worse package manager and without aur
in my experience it's a lot less stable as well
>>
>>43055781
maybe i should add that this hasn't been true a few years ago and might change for the better again, but recent versions are shit
>>
>>43053592
>- supports many programming languages, especially new like Go, Rust etc.
This is where I realized OP is a fagoot.
get #rekt
>>
File: 3454556456557.png (144KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
3454556456557.png
144KB, 368x368px
>>43053592
Try Arch Linux with the Openbox window manager.
Pretty much everything you described.
>>
>>43054882
>>43054623
There is no back button when you make something stupid. And create and mount disks is a pain in the ass if you don't know how to do it.
>>
>>43054535
>few hours setup
Are you retarded nigga? I can setup an encrypted arch drive in 25 minutes. Maybe add 20ish on if you wanna install a shitton of big software packages.
>>
>>43057049
You have experience with it, new users obviously don't.
>>
>>43057049
I'm talking about a new user installing. You know exactly what you want and what you need. New users don't and have a lot of reading to do.
>>
>>43056686
>openbox
gross
just use a tiling WM if you want the autism
>>
>>43055803
How is yum bad? It's been pretty reliable for me.
>>
>>43053592
>is not bloated
Debian
>works well on most notebooks (and doesn't burn your CPU)
Debian
>supports many programming languages, especially new like Go, Rust etc.
Debian
>has big repo and doesn't force you to compile every package
Debian
>is relatively stable due to freshness of packages
Debian
>can be configured nicely and almost everything can be suited for your personal needs
Debian
>>
sorry but Crunchbang does not deserve to be in this pic. ridiculous shit distro
>>
>>43054623
>how can anyone learn anything by following simple instructions?
memorization
i consulted the arch beginner's guide a few more times after installing it, but soon i had everything memorized
>>
>>43053592
Debian sid. I am using it right now, and it is very nice, meets all your requirements
>>
>>43057284
Please elaborate.
>>
Debian Testing
>>
>>43057374
Its basically Debian with broken repos and a shitty configured Openbox
>>
>>43057269
autoremove is horrible, although i admit that this is true for pretty much any package manager. i'd hope that nix and guix might alleviate that problem.
but other than that it's slow and doesn't really offer all that much functionality, so i'll take pacman over yum any day
>>
>>43057461
I use autoremove all the time. What goes wrong for you? Were you on Fedora 20?
>>
>>43057489
let's put it this way, i never managed to fuck up x on arch.
that was on fedora 19
on 18 it managed to fuck up wlan
i mean, i was able to solve those problems, but if i have to put up with this stuff, i'd rather use arch or gentoo than fedora
>>
>>43057548
lel fucking fedora
That shit wouldn't even boot for me unless I enabled secureboot (???).
>>
>>43057422
>Debian with broken repos
The repos are Debian's
>shitty configured Openbox
Not riced enough for you?
>>
>>43057562
tbh, i don't have a lot of luck with noob-friendly distros, maybe fedora falls under the same curse.
a few weeks ago emerge -uavDN world killed my wifi and i badly needed a working computer so i thought i would quickly install xubuntu on a separate partition. first the installer crashed and when i finally got it to work i saw my first kernel panic in 5 years upon reboot
needless to say i'm back to gentoo
>>
>>43057548
>>43057562
Strange, I've never had any of those issues on Fedora. What hardware are you guys using?
>>
>>43057724
The OS senses your autism and reacts to it.
I have never had any problems with any *buntu, except on my shitty desktop where compositing would fucking crash the whole system. God what a nightmare.
>>43057733
Lelnovo y510p.
UEFI. Last time I tried fedora was a half year ago, and some dracut shit caused it to not boot at all.

Now I'm on Arch.
>>
File: distroguide.png (203KB, 839x591px) Image search: [Google]
distroguide.png
203KB, 839x591px
This is the most accurate distro guide I've seen to date:
>>
>>43053592
I would say Fedora meets all of these requirements...
>>
Arch sounds like what you're looking for, so does Debian Sid.
>>
>>43057724
if you still have that wifi problem, the thing that killed it for me on gentoo recently was that the regulatory domain was set to CN instead of my own region. iw reg set <countrycode> fixed it persistently. (and it only killed it on gentoo, I have an ubuntu install as a backup and that kept connecting.)

no idea why, I have the COUNTRY env variable set, but crda seems to have ceased working a while back which is the program that used to be responsible for setting it.
>>
>>43059400
i already got it to work, but thanks anyway
i still find it weird how these fucking country specific regulations managed to find their way into the wireless drivers, but i guess in some places they actually check for this stuff

btw, does anyone know what code to use if you want the most liberal frequency management?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.