[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seems like most "hackers" just use pre-made tools they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: weareleejun.gif (2MB, 330x204px) Image search: [Google]
weareleejun.gif
2MB, 330x204px
Seems like most "hackers" just use pre-made tools they don't even necessarily understand nowadays. I've been wanting to get more into security (network and OS for starters), cryptography, etc, and I am much happier making things myself. Is it still viable, though? I mean, would I be able to get things done in a timely manner, or would it be comparable to still using assembly for gamedev in the vidya dev industry?
>>
>>42978634
Start playing around with Kali-linux and learn from the tools in it.

And I make my own scripts when im doing something specific, but I mostly use the tools in kali + various other tools
>>
>>42978939
I just installed it last week. I'll look at the man pages. For kali linux, what are some good places for literature and turorials and none of that "crack somebodys facebook password" crap that doesnt really work?
>>
>>42979197
I can upload "Kali Linux Cookbook.pdf" "Web Penetration Testing with Kali Linux.pdf" and "Instant Kali Linux [PDF]" in a zip if you want them, or you can just google them
>>
>>42979351
I am not OP, but I would also like you to upload if you would be so kind.
>>
>>42979351
Yes please. Thatd be awesome of you
>>
File: hackers.jpg (90KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
hackers.jpg
90KB, 1680x1050px
Is it already time for the daily pretend hacker roleplaying thread?

I get to be ZeroCool today, though. You faggots promised.
>>
>>42979991
Ok, you can be ZeroCool, but make sure you have your sunglasses on while typing 1337 shit.
>>
>>42979991
>TFW my terminal is black on white
Master race.
>>
>>42980387
Worst terminal colors.
>>
>>42978634
IIRC, No Starch recently released a book on the basics of pentesting. I've yet to look at it, tough.
>>
>>42979991
>>42980353
hardy har har
>>
>>42980684
This? http://www.nostarch.com/pentesting
>>
>>42980733
Yeah, this one.
>>
>>42980387
>not having amber on black

pleb
>>
>>42979755
>>42979433
Sorry it took so long, comcast died on me
www.dropbox.com/s/g5y93tgi2zic6ag/Kali.zip
>>
>>42980913

ty kinda anon
>>
>>42980913
ty based anon
>>
>>42980913
Thanks Anon, much appreciated.
>>
I don't even get what the practical applications of pentesting are. Unless you're doing it for your own network or were hired by a company to test their networks. Otherwise you just risk the change of getting caught doing something stupid and get ass raped in prison.
>>
>>42981064
Its just nice to know how it all works / how to do it, plus its fun at places with free wifi.
>>
>>42980913
Thanks
>>
>>42981064
It's not hard to get a pentesting-related job if you're marginally competent.

Practicing at home increases your chances of getting such a job.
>>
>>42979991
I set my terminal up that way specifically to scare people off.
>>
Do Kali hacks and tools work on a wired system?
>>
>>42982299
wut?
>>
>>42982299
no, it has to be wireless and then only using very specific linux-driven wifi card adapter versions
>>
>>42982299
Not if they're on Kali. If you want it to work on IBM you need Fedora (most secure OS) and all the tools from Kali. Get GNOME 3 it comes with Fedora.
>>
>>42982299
Not unless they're Matrix29-compliant, which I doubt. You can always try backtracing it though.
>>
>>42982336
Which part are you not understanding?
>>
>>42982389
>get GNOME 3 it comes with a Fedora
Fixed
>>
>>42982366
>>42982389
>>42982390
I want to learn how to use Kali, but for now I can work only on my LAN that is fully wired. Will the tools work?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZgZT4DGSY
>>
File: aec.png (1MB, 1367x1500px) Image search: [Google]
aec.png
1MB, 1367x1500px
>>42980387
>>
>>42982485
Yes the tools work but to prevent a backtrace you must use Fedora with GNOME. Also get KDE, it's a useful software suite that will disguise your hacker computer as normal Windows XP.
>>
>>42980387
>Not black and light blue
>>
>>42982779
White and dark blue PS master race
>>
Kali is a set of tools that are useful for people as a giant toolset.

If you don't have a few tools in mind that you use that come included with Kali, it will probably confuse you too much.

If you want to get started and are a total noob, download winxp and then go ahead get familiar with nmap, metasploit, and another tool of your choice that will help you accomplish your goal of being a 1337 h@0xR
>>
>>42983936
this, Metasploit nowadays is the only real tool you need,
>>
>>42983936

I might also add, once you really get into infosec you can really make heads turn if you can read/program x86_64 assembly, or any assembly in general.

I suggest anyone who is interested in being a "hacker" at least be familiar with linux enough to take on a sysadmin job and be super serious about it. Information security is more about defense than attack development. Plus, if you want to develop an attack, you should know the defenses well enough to be able to circumvent them.
>>
>>42980834
I had a terminal like that once. Shit was sweet.
>>
>>42979991
>Mess with the best, die like the rest
>>
>>42978634
That is a cracker, or script kiddie. Learn the difference.
>>
>>42982648

Now I know you're just trolling
>>
>>42984990
And you're autism
>>
>>42984008
Well I've always been interested in learming more about linux. I know some assembly, and have some good books to keep working on. Got recomendations any for linux sys admin?
>>
>>42978634
Yes, most crackers are script kiddies. However, no one respects a skiddie because they don't know what they're doing and they're limited to the tools that other people have made. They're likely to get caught because they don't know how to hide their tracks, nor do they know how to do a surgical attack on a target that leaves the victim unaware they've been hacked vs. ass fucking everything such that the sysadmin on call is aware they've been compromised before the hack is even over.

The guys discovering new exploits are the real hackers, and for that you do need to have a very deep and broad understanding of things like networking, OS theory, system architecture, assembly, C, etc.

>>42981638
That's the exact opposite of everything I've heard. The usual story is "there are many times more qualified pentesters than there are jobs".

>>42981082
You aren't going to know how it works if all you're using are pre-made tools.

>>42981064
That is the only point of pentesting, which is why it's called pentesting.
>>
>>42985196
How to get started on the right track, though? I guess networking would be the one thing I'm lacking the most, but I'm not sure where to start looking in terms of staying hidden, etc
>>
File: 1330505115951.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1330505115951.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>42980387
>Not black background with green text.

Do you even Matrix?
>>
Those "hackers" are just script kiddies, they are entirely separate from crackers, and both crackers AND script kiddies are separate from hackers, who are comprised of anyone who follows the hacker ethic, (i.e., engineers, computer science researchers, some programmers, non-Windows system administrators, security professionals, and others)
>>
>>42981064
>getting ass raped in prison

We're not all Americans
>>
>>42978634
please don't use homebrewed crypto on anything important. please. you're going to fuck it up, I guarantee you.
>>
Anyone got PDFS for learning nmap or metasploit?
Would love to learn these tools is it a god place to begin?
or where would you all recommend we start?
>>
>>42988034
it's like you didn't read anything posted in this thread
>>
>>42979991
Please, this isn't a shitty Cyberpunk B-film. Everybody knows the terminal master race is white.
>>
>>42988150
>master race is white
Oh dear, I did not mean for that to come out how it did.
>>
>>42979991
>in elementary school
>make dos disk at home, bring it to school
>have color 0c or whatever makes the display green on black in autoexec.bat
>type help
>shit scrolls across the screen, other kids think I'm hacking

The fucking green on black makes it so convincing to stupid people.
>>
Hackers are a culture that started in the incubator of MIT Building 26, with Peter Samson and the other TMRC signals crew getting access to the TX-0 and later the PDP-1.

That experiment was soon replicated at other universities, notably Stanford's SAIL. With the advent of the Apple home computer, Hacker culture was confronted with the problems of greater society, leaving the Edenic conclaves, losing it's innocence.

Separated, the culture spread and evolved through the BBS systems/community and the ARPANET/academia.

... There's more to the story, but that's all I feel like typing now.

http://dasalte.ccc.de/hackerethics.en
>>
>>42985292
http://www.ietf.org/ would be a good place to start
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.