[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you touch type /g/? I just started learning how, and it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 24

File: Keyboard-Illustrator.png (162KB, 1684x1191px) Image search: [Google]
Keyboard-Illustrator.png
162KB, 1684x1191px
Can you touch type /g/?

I just started learning how, and it is definitely a tough transition.
>>
>>42382746
yes because I'm not a pleb. if you can't touch type by yesterday you should kill you are self.
>>
>>42382766
>you should kill you are self.

lol kill yourself
>>
I can. Years ago I forced myself to use the homerow and type without looking. I started at probably around 10 WPM. A few years later, I'm now able to type around 130 WPM. Don't give up anon!
>>
It's safe to say that if you can't touch-type you don't belong on /g/

Takes all of one day to learn
>>
>>42382787
It isn't a matter of learning, just gaining speed. I am at probably 10 WPM now
>>
I can type without looking, at 65wpm.
Started learning proper touch typing over the weekend and immediately dropped down to 50wpm.
Having 'c' and 'e' assigned to the same finger is pretty retarded. Actually having the left hand curl inwards seems really stupid.
>>
>>42382784
OMG there are some nice people on the internet.
>>
Wow. I've been doing this almost 20 years. You guys are late to the party.
>>
File: 1402063821225.jpg (22KB, 285x326px) Image search: [Google]
1402063821225.jpg
22KB, 285x326px
>>42382781
Shiggydiggy
>>
What the hell is touch type?
Like, using a keyboard properly?
>>
Yes, ever since I started playing RS in ~2003. I'm not amazingly fast (110-120wpm) but it's good enough.
>>
i can't touch type, but i average at 145 wpm.
>>
>>42382746
>learning on a qwerty
Just get a colemak already!
>>
>people who didn't learn to touch type in elementary school
I guess your parents and local government don't care about you?
>>
>>42382897
it's what retards call typing
not sure why

as if hunting and pecking with two fingers while staring at the fucking keyboard doesn't involve touching anything
>>
I have to occasionally glance at the keyboard to get my hands in the right position.
>>
>>42382955
Don't your keys have those bumps on the j and f keys?
>>
>>42382975
I type street fighter style. I kind of move my hands all around the keyboard.
>>
>>42382927
maybe my definition of touch type is too broad, but how is that possible to type that fast and not touch type?
>>
Yes, ~80 wpm on my laptop keyboard, ~90 on my reds. Could be faster but I make too much mistakes on my mech ;(

Taught to us at elementary school
>>
I type relatively fast (90 wpm) but I don't type "correctly" I touch type the way I taught myself back in the aol instant messenger days. I think when I first started I only used my index finger and middle finger, then I slowly added fingers till I used all 10 digits. I don't care enough to learn how to "properly" type. The only time I ever notice that I'm not doing it the intended way is if I try using someone's ergonomic keyboard (the kind split in half). I notice that I use my left hand for 1 or 2 keys the right hand is supposed to use, and I'm quite sure I don't use the right fingers for certain keys. Either way, it's easy to teach yourself how to touch type over time. I guarantee if you can type relatively fast while looking at the keys, it will not take you long to stop looking.
>>
Yes since I was a little kid.

I don't follow any typing technique though, my fingers just go naturally wherever is closer
>>
>>42383042
I'm same as you.
>>
Where can I buy Programmer Dvorak keycap set?
>>
>>42383042
the fastest typist in the world uses his own method and you basically have to to reach the fastest speeds. that said, 90wpm is not very fast and you could probably improve by typing "properly"
>>
yeah but only because i've been using computers for so long that it came naturally. i don't use the standard finger position or anything like that, never really learned the proper technique but at this point i'm quite fast so it doesn't matter to me anymore
>>
>tfw I only type at 45 wpm
>>
I type at like 30 wpm and use like 4 fingers.
>>
>>42382746
I can. Only really bothered after I started going on IRC. 80WPM here, I'm no good, but I have minimal desire to get better.
>>
>>42382746
>pressing 1 with pinky
ishiggy
>>
I taught myself so my form sucks. I don't use a homerow and I mostly just use three fingers on each hand, but I know where the keys are relative to each other. It doesn't help that I started out with the keyboard in my lap.
Repetition is about 90% of it.
>>
File: typing2.png (2MB, 1662x1232px) Image search: [Google]
typing2.png
2MB, 1662x1232px
I don't get how people actively force themselves to learn how to touch-type. I just typed a lot and at some pointed I pretty much stopped looking at my keyboard altogether, except for maybe a glance sometimes to position my hands right or when typing some characters that I hardly ever use.

>pic related, my typing speed, personal finger layout and my keyboard I figured out sometime when I was bored
>>
>>42383493
Your middle and ring fingers on your right hand are broken.
>>
>>42383516
If I have to spend a little more attention to which button I'm pressing, I tend to use my middle finger.

I just noticed I pressed the comma with my ring finger. I guess it's pretty much just random, whatever seems to line up best at that particular moment. Basically what >>42383464 said.
>>
I get 85-101 WPM without that shit, I am happy with that
>>
>>42383516
Your brain is broken, retard.
>>
>>42383516
Different anon here, but my index and middle fingers are almost the only fingers I use on my right hand. Would be nice to break that habit, since I end up making wild motions across the keyboard (eg, typing "yellow" has my middle finger going from Y to L if I don't think about it).

In the meantime, my left hand is practically dead still and all fingers get a mostly equal usage.
>>
>>42383624
#rekt
>>
>>42382784
wao are you logan?
>>
>>42383000
Most people generally refer to touch typing as the "proper" way of typing with the homerow usually taught in shitty computer classes. I also don't "touch type" but I sure as hell do not look at my keyboard when I type my hands just fly all over the place and I hit 90-100 wpm.
>>
>>42383703
From what I know touch-typing means locating the buttons by touch, meaning not looking at the keyboard.
>>
I am using only my Middle finger and index finger thats about it, around 90WPM max is 101
>>
>>42383665
I have a similar habit, but with the index finger as well.
It's mostly an issue with having so much shit that's ``supposed'' to be hit with the right pinky, leading to compensation from elsewhere.
Pinkies aren't exactly the most dextrous fingers, so I only use mine for Shift, Ctrl, and Enter really. Well, caps too, but that's a modifier to turn IJKL into arrows and whatnot for standard textbox movement.
>>
>>42382932

this, specially if your mother language is not english
>>
>>42382746

man, keyboards are really shit. qwerty is bad enough and then they tell you that for proper typing you should have alien hands.

>asdf
>zxcv

really? is my left hand suposed to bend in that direction?

also your pinkies have a fuckton of keys, specially if you program, while your most strong and agile finger, the thumb, has 1/2 of a key.

why we still use these?
>>
>>42383980
because Ergodox is expensive
>>
File: ??5617.png (943KB, 909x651px) Image search: [Google]
??5617.png
943KB, 909x651px
>>42383980
>>
>>42383734
Same here. I use my right index finger on the space bar. Everything to the left of B gets my left index and middle finger, everything to the right of that gets my right index and middle fingers
>>
>>42384033
my man!
>>
I hunt and peck at about 85 WPM without looking at the keyboard. I feel like that's pretty good, considering how much more distance each of my fingers need to move.
>>
>>42382746
it's really stupid how unused the thumb is. the two thumbs could be used to press multiple buttons instead of just one for both of them. i actually never use my left thumb for anything other than alt when i alt+tab or alt+wasdxcz. that's not while typing though what a waste.
>>
>>42383980
>qwerty
>designed to slow you down so typewriter doesn't jam
Computers should have started with dvorak as standard layout as soon as they realized it's just a bunch of switches.
>>
>>42382746
>just started learning to touchtype yesterday

are you 12?

inb4 underage b&
>>
>>42384164

I respect the dvorak layout, but I write usually in 3 languages and the 'l' and 'r' make it unusable for roman languages.

colemak is perfect for me
>>
>>42384259
I type mostly in spanish and english. Is colemak good for them or should I try dvorak?
>>
>>42384295

colemak, no doubt

check the website, if you use windows "colemak portable" is the fucking greatest thing in keyboards history
>>
>>42384369
Yes, I use mostly windows. I'll check it out.
Thanks, man.
>>
>>42384369

>>42384295

the strenth of colemak is to use altGr as a modifier key for non english characters, so, ie: ñ = n + AltGr
also the 'l' il dvorak makes my pinkie hurt
>>
Friendly reminder that if you are below 90 WPM you are considered to be a computer illiterate and should probably get a different hobby.
>>
Not in the official sense with homerow and index fingers on F and H and all that stuff (had to look where the bumps were), but I can type blindly pretty well. Hit 100wpm once, average around 90.
>>
Any good website or program for learning?
>>
File: vomitchan.jpg (91KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
vomitchan.jpg
91KB, 680x680px
>>42384585

qwerty?

>pic related
>>
>>42382746
If you're gonna use a computer, you should learn how to touch type. It's fairly important of a skill.
>>
>>42384585
it's all the same shit

literally all it consists of is just not looking at your keyboard. learning how to touch type takes less than a day of suffering through the (boring) rote memorization of the key locations by touch. every website that helps you do this by showing you what fingers to use is the same. just choose one and stick with it until they are memorized and DON'T LOOK DOWN. typingweb.com is more than sufficient. by the end of the day or week you will still be typing much slower than you currently are but you will be TOUCH TYPING and it should take you less than a month to more than double your current typing speed.
>>
>>42384585
Force yourself to not look at the keyboard while typing. If you need to look, take a quick peek, then straight back to the screen. It's all about making your fingers familiar with where all the keys are - for me this came naturally as my focus is usually the content on the screen rather than the keyboard.
>>
>>42384585
Lookout gnu typist.
>>
>>42382840
I type at 68 wpm while touch typing.
You just gotta train it into muscle memory, but it's not worth it.
>>
>>42384026
yes, thanks for that picture, now explain why we STILL use that layout.
>>
learned it by pure experience.
>2014
>still needing charts to touch type
pleb
>>
i pull about 120 wpm and i dont have my fingers anywhere specific and i only use my 2 index fingers for the keys and right thumb on the keyboard. I know where I am because my left pinkie is always touching the side of the keyboard. I know the style is really weird but i can be fast and accurate with it so why change?

Home keys are bullshit. I used this style in like 3rd grade when they were trying to teach it and i was already able to type faster than the teacher.
>>
>>42385043
>right thumb on the keyboard
i mean spacebar fug. cant blame my typing on that one though.
>>
I can type 4chan comments in touch type easily, but have trouble when trying to program.

I need to git gud
>>
Alright. You guys have brought up a question here. I never use the shift key to capitalize a letter. I use it only for the symbols on top keys. Does anyone else do the same? 130wpm here with a lazy eye.
>>
I tried to learn touch-typing for years, but when I started writing a real text, I always fell back to my normal 2-finger technique, because it was still more effective than 10-finger due to year-long practice.

The only way for me to learn it was to switch my keyboard layout to Dvorak and immediately did a Dvorak touch-typing course. My 2-finger technique didn't work on the new layout, so I was faster with touch-typing.

After a year or so I had to switch back to QWERTY because of a new job where I couldn't use my own keyboard. But because I had completely forgotten my old 2-finger technique I was finally able to learn touch-typing.
>>
>>42385111
lazy eye wouldnt matter unless you're some kind of peck & seek typer and at that kind of WPM I strongly doubt it.
>>
>>42385141
Definitely not a peck & seek, but the question is more focused on using the caps lock for capitalization.

...also, my lazy eye shifts more to the opposite side of my focusing eye and a bit downwards in my peripheral vision.

>pic related, mspaint diagram
>>
Lol at ameriburgers not having learned this at school
>>
tfw I learned dvorak then looked like a retard whenever I used a computer at work or something and had to go back to qwerty
>>
>>42382746
of course I can touch type, I thought everyone was taught how to touch type in middle school
>>
>>42382746
i started touch typing and using vim at the same time

now that's a tough transition
>>
>>42385340
It's not like touch-tying isn't taught in schools.
>>
>>42385340
I'm pretty sure they do teach it though. They taught it in school for me at least.
>>
>>42382746
yes, I'm an american. I took it as an elective in 10th grade because I used the computer all the time and thought being able to type would be helpful. It has been extremely helpful.
>>
File: 1400817476157.jpg (45KB, 421x427px) Image search: [Google]
1400817476157.jpg
45KB, 421x427px
>touch type in dvorak for a few years
>hear "colemak master race dvorak a shit" all over the internet
>mfw
>>
>>42385402
They taught it to us in seventh grade but I could type faster than anyone in my class (including the teacher) using my own method involving moving my hands into optimum position for each word (or phrase) and type them all at lightning speed in bursts
>>
>>42382746
Touch typing just means typing without looking at the keyboard? Of course, then.

Although I might look at the keyboard for the | \ key every now and again, since it's confusing on a laptop where it goes immediately from that to the numpad.
>>
File: raw.webm (2MB, 960x540px)
raw.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>42385439
like this only I actually typed words, wish I could do it now.
>>
I can touch type, but I don't use the fingers specified for the keys in OP's picture and I never use the right shift key.
>>
>>42385439

sounds similar to steno
>>
>>42385340
Da burger :DDDDD
I did learned it in school.
>>
>>42385428

but it is true anon

colemak > dvorak > shit >>>>>> qwerty
>>
I can, but not perfect, i learned as a kid and stopped when i knew all the letters.

numbers are guesses i usually tap a number and if its wrong i backspace and progress to the second one or something. At least it isn't great but works.

tings like minus - and ; and some brackets came later when i got to learn bash.
>>
>>42382746
I started learning few days ago. It's not easy, but I'm getting there. The toughest thing to learn is using my right pinky.
>>
>>42382746
>touch typing
>not using muscle memory
I do not do that shitty babby's first typing session shit. I just type and the letters fly across the screen.
>>
>There are people on /g/ who cannot touch type.

What.
>>
>>42385758
You're arguing semantics. It's the same end result, both make you obtain muscle memory, it's just that one person obtained it by practicing one way, and you must've practiced it by looking at it until you got the muscle memory to go without looking.

Memorization --> Muscle memory is faster
>>
>>42382932

I would only recommend learning colemak if

>You have a stable computing environment
That is, you only ever type on your own desktop & possibly laptop -- if you work in an environment where you're hotdesking, or you're always using other peoples computers, or they're always using yours, it will be a PITA and you will need to know QWERTY anyhow so there's no point. You'll just get frustrated.

I've learnt colemak, dvorak & one handed (LH) dvorak in the past for varying reasons, I always revert back to QWERTY because my working envrionment dictates it to be so. If I were a NEET I'd definitely consider it.
>>
>>42385616

There's science to back up this claim too

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/?colemak
>>
>>42384026
>QWERTZ

absolutely-disgusting.png
>>
I don't use the homerow keys, but I can still do it. I type at about ~70 wpm. Any suggestions on how to improve?
>>
http://www.gnu.org/software/gtypist/
>>
Touch typing was pretty tricky when I first learned it in the 5th grade but it has made my life a lot easier.

Being able to type 100+ wpm is super useful if you work with computers (spoiler: everyone who doesn't want to pick fruit all day does), and so is typing without looking at the keyboard. When I meet 40+ year old programmers who can't touch type I just feel bad for them.
>>
>>42387395
My first piece of advice would be to use the home row keys
>>
>>42383697
Nope.
>>
>>42387395
>Any suggestions on how to improve?
Use the home row
>>
File: Gentoo.png (259KB, 1303x627px) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo.png
259KB, 1303x627px
>>42382746
Yes I can touchtype. And it was a nearly effortless transition.
>>
To bad I don't have proper posture to type correctly. I average around 40 WPM if I don't touch type. It literally took me 5 mins to type this touch typing. I use a mac btw
>>
I learned the proper way to touch type back in elementary school but my hands and fingers are fucking retarded. I average 60-70 wpm but that's only because I have to go back and correct all the fucking mistakes I usually make. The backspace key is likely the first to wear out on any keyboard I have.

I suppose I could learn better but my right index finger does most of the work of the entire hand for some reason and all my fingers shake like crazy due to cholinesterase damage.
>>
>>42382746
yes but not how they want me to.
>>
>>42388451
painting your'e nails is gay though
>>
>>42382781
You must be new here.
>>
>>42382934
Oh please, it was the same as learning cursive.
>Okay class you're 8 now, we're going to spend the next three months learning an outdated, hard to read script
>Oh by the way, you'll never use this again till you're 18, hope you don't forget it

I had a class where part of the test was signing your name in legible cursive my freshman year of highschool. Not a single person could do it and the teacher had to drop the requirement because fuck if an 8 year old is going to keep using cursive in their free time and it was never brought up in school again.
>>
File: Sodawizard.jpg (55KB, 720x538px) Image search: [Google]
Sodawizard.jpg
55KB, 720x538px
>>42385521

>dat obesity
>>
File: seriousnigger.jpg (56KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
seriousnigger.jpg
56KB, 340x565px
Wait, there are people here that don't actually type normally? Like, you guys peck at the keyboard?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN FUNCTION? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>42382746
i type with 2 fingers...
>>
>>42384610
Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of shit with down syndrome.
>>
File: FPS Home row.jpg (42KB, 620x442px) Image search: [Google]
FPS Home row.jpg
42KB, 620x442px
This is where your fingers belong, OP. Don't use that shitty asdf jkl; garbage. Left hand stays roughly stationary, right hand floats.
>>
>>42382841
It is a very worthwhile skill to have. One of the few I use daily.
>>
http://www.keybr.com/

The easy way to learn OP. Taught me well.
>>
What the fuck are you talking about? What are you even doing with a computer? How did you navigate the web and find this place if you can't touch type? Are you wearing diapers? How old are you?
>>
>>42382746
Why would they make so many keys dedicated to the pinkies. I'm a programmer, my right pinkie is a bit messed up, and this annoys me.

I'm probably going to get one of those ErgoDox soon.
>>
>>42384026

No 1 key.

You used to have to hit the "I" key for one.

why couldn't they just add a fucking one.
>>
>>42385439
man this doesn't look real at all. I bet he was just on hackertyper.com/ or something similar.
>>
>>42389017
>http://www.keybr.com/
This site is god tier. thank you anon
>>
People that actually use computers often (everyone that isn't old as fuck) don't know how to touch type?

What do they stare at their fingers as they type? The fuck?
>>
>>42382746
what the fuck happened to /g/?
>>
>>42389974
macfags is what happened to /gee/
>>
>>42382746

I type with my two index fingers and they just go to whichever key is closest. I dont even think about it and sometimes they cross over? Anyone else? Sometimes I get another finger to press a key, but it just developed to go fast this way. (96 - 115 wpm)
>>
>>42382899
Same, runescape taught me to type
>>
I have seriously screwed myself over in this aspect.
Over the years I learned to "touch-type" but without using the proper fingers for each set of keys as indicated by the OP.
I can get around 110 wpm on a test with punctuation but I believe I hit a wall there and can't progress any further, since I hit keys with the wrong fingers.
Is there anyone who was able to unlearn self-taught, bad finger assignment and transitioned to properly typing while barely lifting their fingers ?
>>
>>42389938
My friend is the tech director for the city I live in. He types only with his index fingers.

I've been touch typing since I was 5. Probably the only thing my school did right.
>>
I type without looking, but not in a standard way. My hands move all over the keyboard, and I never hit the space bar with my thumbs. I can type like 80 WPM, but my hands get tired pretty quickly, and I make lots of mistakes.
>>
It really shouldn't take more than a few days to a week to develop the muscle memory of where keys are located. I can't fathom how there are people who've been using computers for years and still have to look at the keyboard to type. Do they have to look at the mouse too?
>>
>>42390557
lol you make it sound like it matters to anyone except for a few people on the internet just trying to give themselves more reasons to feel that shitty emotion called pride
>>
File: Why do you hate your fingers.jpg (38KB, 497x269px) Image search: [Google]
Why do you hate your fingers.jpg
38KB, 497x269px
Colemak and Dvorak are shit, SHIT!
>>
File: keyboard_comparison.png (91KB, 589x1184px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard_comparison.png
91KB, 589x1184px
>>42391208

Please. If you're going to suggest some obscure layout, at least choose the most efficient one.
>>
>>42391334
I did.
>>
>>42391402

So how is qgmlwb treating you?
>>
>>42391449
What the fuck
>>
>>42391449
65.94 Alice in Wonderland, Chapter 1
67.89 Most Commonly Used Words
66.68 Most Commonly Used SAT Words
Feels inferior...
>>
File: typing.jpg (27KB, 281x403px) Image search: [Google]
typing.jpg
27KB, 281x403px
You should get a keyboard that has the letters obscured. You'll be "touch typing" in no time.
>>
I touch type but I do not use the 'correct' fingers. I use 3 fingers for almost every key. I type up to 120-130wpm on tests, probably like 100 when just typing normally (not testing).
>>
>>42389854
Uh, anon. That's the guy who made hackertype. He was demoing it but they thought he was legitimately coding the site then and there.
>>
>>42391605
>122
Weak.
>>
>>42391700
Show us yur score /b/ro.

I'm not sure there's much utility to be gained after you can consistently type 100.
>>
>>42382975
They're called homing bars, you pleb.
>>
>>42391780

but they're not bars, they're bumps
>>
>>42391826
Molotov cocktails aren't cocktails either.
>>
>>42391865

my cock was in your moms tail last night
>>
It's easy, just put your index fingers on those nipples and then you'll automatically know where each finger has to go, by going up and down the rows.
It might be slow and hurt your hand the first week, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
>>
>>42382746
Slightly off topic, but does anyone use Colemak and Vim? How does that work out?
>>
I can touch-type, but I never learned to do it properly, so I don't use all fingers and my speed is around 80 WPM.
>>
File: s4s4.jpg (115KB, 623x600px) Image search: [Google]
s4s4.jpg
115KB, 623x600px
I learnt to touch type a few months ago but I still find unnatural the letter Z
>>
I can touch type, but I don't use all my fingers and I believe this makes me pretty slow.
H-How can I improve /g/?
>>
Sort of. I dont have to look at the keyboard but i dont use the traditional method of typing. I'm at about 60-85 wpm, and dont give a shit about going faster.
>>
File: TitanAE0668[1].jpg (62KB, 720x308px) Image search: [Google]
TitanAE0668[1].jpg
62KB, 720x308px
Had a keyboard some years ago where the space key stopped working. We stopped using it, so I popped it apart to look at it.

>that glorious feel when typing by tapping on the board

Space bar still didn't work very often, but it was magical. I felt like pic related.
>>
>>42384137
There's two really good options around that, actually.
Japanese layouts with GLORIOUSLY tiny spacebars and a couple more (mappable) keys around them. Less curl on the thumb for Ctrl/Super/Meta/etc, possible enter/backspace keys.
Or ErgoDox like shit, with entirely different layouts designed around the idea.

>>42389006
ASEF > ShiftAWD
>>
>>42388734
> not being able to type
> not being able to write in cursive
Do you not know how to change a tire, cook for yourself, or wipe your own ass either?
>>
>>42397494
Thank goodness for modern convenience.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+whipe+my+ass
>>
>>42382746
I could touch type when I was 10.
I don't get why people don't learn it at an early age, especially now
>>
Yes, I decided to take the dive at the same time that I bought a mechanical keyboard. I got a blank keyboard and changed my layout to Dvorak so that I would be forced to learn how to touch type, now I average around 80 WPM when I'm not trying and about 100 when I'm pushing it. It's definately worth learning even if it's just so that you can keep typing and turn around to have a conversation with someone. Stick at it dude, it's worth it in the long run.

A pointer I would give is if you're not 100% confident with the layout then have the on screen keyboard up and use that as a guide instead of looking down, you'll get used to finding the keys with your fingers while looking at the screen more that way. Have fun and good luck!
>>
How the fuck am I suppose to get my pink all the way over there???
>>
>>42382746
I came here to do some bitching about all of that typing on tablets and shit, and then holy shit

are there anyone who can't write without looking at keyboard? Really? on "technology"? Typing without looking at keyboard is natural for anyone who spend more than few years woth computer, how the hell anyone would be unable to do that in 2014, and especially here?
>>
Why don't they call it memory typing? I forgot.
>>
>>42382817
Because you don't have hardware acceleration yet. What you're doing right now is emulating touch typing in software, i.e. your CPU is totally bogged down by having to remember where each key is and pointing fingers to their destination.
>>
File: suffer_g.png (386KB, 512x715px) Image search: [Google]
suffer_g.png
386KB, 512x715px
>>42382817
>I am at probably 10 WPM now

Suffer like /g/ did.
>>
the pastebin with the bitcoin sites? it's trending rigfht now on pastebin slash trends
>>
>>42397730
You only need your pinkies for Ctrl, Shift, and Enter. Sprawling the entire hand out to reach for backspace with the ring finger, for example, is much less taxing than repositioning the entire arm to inappropriately use your pinky.
>>
>>42382899
>110-120wpm
>not amazingly fast
Then what is "amazingly fast" according to you, trole? 500wpm?
>>
If I can touch type, nobody who can't has an excuse. I didn't even want to learn how to do it at the time, it just happened because I was on the computer so often.
>>
>>42397847
not that guy, but the fastest typing ever recorded was 216 wpm. anything faster than 120 wpm and i'm typing faster than i can properly think.
>>
>>42391741
138 wpm master race checking in
>>
>>42397841
That's what I do.

I use my pinky for ctrl, enter, shift, ', ", and the occasional letters.

If I hold my hand in the correction position, my pinky doesn't even reach the backspace.
>>
>>42397881
well, maybe not 120 as the max. depends on what i'm writing. but 160+ means you need a hobby and some fresh air.
>>
>>42397887
both of your hands should float above the keyboard slightly. it feels awkward the first few days, but the improvement in typing speed is quick.
>>
>>42382746

I can pull around 115-125 WPM on a good keyboard

Normally I'm at around 95-105 though
>>
>>42397914
Even if I float, I have to move my entire hand to get my pinky to the backspace.
>>
>>42397934
yeah, that's what you do. that's why you float.
>>
>>42397914
Was going to say that would feel a little awkward, but then I noticed I do that anyways while in motion. Only ever at rest are my hands both flat on the keyboard. Huh.

>>42397934
Ditto.
>>
File: typeracer_speed.png (44KB, 1032x300px) Image search: [Google]
typeracer_speed.png
44KB, 1032x300px
>>42383124
45wpm is not slow, it's above average (not much, but still). Don't believe every other person claiming to type at 100+wpm speeds, these claims are worth as much as people insisting they had beaten Portal the first time blind under 1 hour.

According to typeracer.com speed tiers your 45wpm speed is "pro" (pic related).

>inb4 "typeracer.com is nub pleb fagtard site"
>>
>>42397960
...and when you're down there with him, YOU'LL FLOAT TOO
>>
how the fuck is 45 wpm average everyone I speak to has at least 80+ and I have 92
>>
>>42397972
Your analogy would be apt, if the words ``the first time blind'' were removed.
Given that people here spend probably 10 hours a day typing, whether it's shitposting, coding, just practicing(Nerds MUST obsess over something, always), or whatever the hell else; 100WPM is an entirely believable standard.
>>
I tend to smack the keys on these shitty membrane keyboards. It just sounds aweful and try to drown it out. I have all to do to type accurately.
>>
>>42397841
>pinkies for Ctrl
Just press Ctrl with the side of your palms which should hover directly above the Ctrl keys on most decent keyboards.
>>
>>42397972

But I do type at 100 WPM because I spend a lot of time typing shit up in word processors, IM clients, and shitposting here

It doesn't really mean 45 WPM is terrible either way.
>>
>>42397972
tfw I dropped down to 98
>>
>>42398058
I prefer the side of the first knuckle of my pinky. Palm feels awkward and actually starts to hurt after a couple hours of use, like Emacs and shit.
>>
>>42398019
Then talk to typeracer.com and tell them they're full of shite and they should revise their typing aptitude scale and make it so 80wpm is average and "megaracer" starts with 160wpm.
>>
>>42398051
Twist the ends of a membrane keyboard in opposite directions. That's what it sounds like when I type faster than 45wmp.
>>
>>42398090
It's actually the ball part of the palm directly under the pinky root, but then again ymmv depending on the specific type of keyboard you use.
>>
>>42398019
you're forgetting that half of the world drink windex
>>
File: maltronetype.png (400KB, 654x342px) Image search: [Google]
maltronetype.png
400KB, 654x342px
move aside plebians
>>
I type plenty fast without touch typing (70 wpm for just plain old text)

But coding, on the other hand, is a birch. How can I get faster at typing all of th fancy characters and things?
>>
>>42398381
What are you on about now retard. Is your downs flaring up again?
>>
>>42398513
You gotta memorize all of the keyboard's main block, not just alphanumeric characters. You have to be able to touch-type all of the ASCII characters.
>>
>>42398551
But how do I do this?
>>
>>42398499
>get used to typing on that thing
>have a problem each time you have to type on a normal keyboard, i.e. everywhere else

About as useful as getting proficient in using some obscure program nobody else uses.
>>
>>42397663
>www.howtowipeyourbutt.com
I didn't want to know that this existed.
>>
I touch type (I never look at the keyboard), but I don't use the home row.

I've my own system.
>>
>>42398567
First memorize where each symbol is and what finger needs to type it. Then you'll need to endure through a tedious phase of having to direct the fingers counciously, which is admittedly very slow, but will eventually build the needed muscle memory.

tl;dr - just the same way as you learned to touch-type the alphanumeric characters, just perhaps more tedious as the special characters are not used as often and don't spell out words by themselves.
>>
>>42382876
not everyone is you
>>
>>42382876
>oh_you.jpg
>>
>>42382746
>and it is definitely a tough transition
keep it up a month, rigorously, and you will never look back (nor down).

I don't claim fucking 990^E12 WPM, but I can tell I'm the fastest typist I personally know. Playing keyboard instruments helped me realise how optimal and comfortable touch typing can be once you get used to it
>>
>>42398499
It looks like one of those slide puzzles I used to throw at my sister.
>>
>>42398659
Mind = blown
>>
File: mmk.png (44KB, 702x643px) Image search: [Google]
mmk.png
44KB, 702x643px
>>42397972
I dont type at +100wpm all the time, but it's not that hard
>>
>>42398638
I never actually learned to touch type and so can hardly stand the rapid slow down in speed that occurs when I try.
>>
>>42398864
That's unavoidable though. You WILL type at 10wpm at the very beginning when you need to conciously lead you fingers to the right keys, without looking at the keyboard. That's the hardest part, once you get through that you'll type 15-20wpm, but your fingers will go where needed on their own. From there, you just need to keep typing to gradually improve speed while keeping a reasonable accuracy (above 95%, ideally above 98%).
>>
>>42398966
But I can currently type about 70-90 wpm without looking I'm just not using the old school touch typing home row shit.
>>
>>42382746
I can't even believe there are people out there that can't touch type. How do you type?
>>
>>42398861
Nobody was saying that nobody types 100+wpm. However, it gets a bit ridiculous with every other person claiming they do, and better still, that 100wpm is "average" and everything below 80 is "utter shite".
>>
>mfw typing was a required course at my high school
>mfw went from typing 12wpm to 110wpm by the end of the year

That's the one class that paid off since I'm a NEET that uses the computer all day.
>>
>>42382840
>Having 'c' and 'e' assigned to the same finger is pretty retarded

My course had us use our index finger to type a "c".
>>
>>42399018
On /g/ I wouldn't be surprised if most people could type 100wpm, it's not that hard.
>>
40wpm master race
>>
>>42399038
That's heresy, and just wrong.
>>
>>42399038
When I took typing classes in school they taught us to use the middle finger for c, but I use my index finger. I don't use my little fingers for much at all my ring fingers end up hitting most of their keys. Works fine for me.
>>
>>42399069

Make sense to me though.

My index finger's natural motion extends from "t", to "f" and to "c".
>>
>2014
>not using speech recognition software to type

I type like 200+
>>
>>42399099
Given that you need to type 'v' and especially 'b' with your index finger anyway, it only makes sense to type 'c' with your middle finger.
>>
>>42399124
Speech recognition replacing typing is a utopia that will never be, mostly because speech is inherently ambiguous while character entry is very precise and specific. Also, you don't want to "broadcast" your message for anyone nearby to hear. Everyone in an office babbling to their computers doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
>>
>>42399126
5 keys is easy for a finger to handle.

And because of the natural motion of my index finger I don't see why the middle finger should be used instead.
>>
>>42399162
Of course. I still use a keyboard at work or on my laptop etc. But its perfectly fine to use in doors. Voice Recognition software has really improved. I type way faster with it now.
>>
>>42399183
Again, it's more natural to type 'c' withe the middle finger than to type 'b' with the index finger, yet you claim that the former is unnatural while you happily do the latter.
>>
>>42399256
>it's more natural to type 'c' withe the middle finger than to type 'b' with the index finger
No? To hit "c" I have to move my middle finger in an unnatural sideways motion, whereas with my index finger I only have to bend it straight.
>>
I think my hands are too big for my tiny laptop to be able to touch type.
>>
>>42399291
Whoops, misread your post. Although I don't understand your point. I'd still rather use my index finger for "c" because it's more natural.
>>
>>42382746
I didn't know I was doing it automatically until a bought a keyboard with a European layout but had it set to gb layout automatically.
>>
I touch type at roughly 90 WPM, but I don't type with much more than just my index fingers.
>>
>>42389006
This shit is why I touchtype with just my index fingers at 90-100 WPM. Not having a mic in Countr-Strike means you've gotta type FAST.
>>
>>42399373

Damn. If you type that fast with only your index fingers, that must make you somehow cool or special.
>>
>>42399373
>touch type
>with just my indes fingers

Pick one.
>>
>>42389006
This is for gaming, not for typing, lel.
>>
>>42399490
I assumed touch typing simply meant not looking at the keyboard while you type.
>>
File: 1400885236868.gif (14KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1400885236868.gif
14KB, 416x416px
oh, this is how i've always typed. i didn't even realize it had a name.
>>
>>42399547
same

TIL
>>
>>42399373
You look at the computer screen the entire time? That's just comical.
>>
>>42400760
No, sometimes I turn my head to look at other things while I type, like the TV.
>>
>>42382781
kill you'reself dumbass
>>
>>42382881
welcome /tv/ friend
>>
>>42382746

look ma! no eyes!
>>
>>42382746
The only fingers I don't use while typing are my thumbs. I might occasionally use my left thumb.
>>
i can only hunt and peck at ~85wpm on a good day, do any of you motherfuckers actually look the keyboard when you're typing?

the thought of that is disgusting.
>>
>>42401220

b-but how do you spacebar?
>>
>>42401259
What'saspacebar?

Just kidding, right pointer finger
>>
>>42394414
Why is that?
>>
>>42401282
What do you do with your thumbs?

Seriously, don't answer that.
Thread posts: 249
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.