[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OKay. So the introduction to this page shows a tutorial in how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

File: Unbenannt.png (171KB, 1095x479px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
171KB, 1095x479px
OKay. So the introduction to this page shows a tutorial in how to install Gentoo on your machine. However it seems like the majority of the Linux users here uses Arch Linux.
Is Gentoo just so comlicated that it needs its own tutorial or is Arch just the preferred Linux distro.
>>
Fedora is simply better than both of them.
>>
File: 160.gif (62KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
160.gif
62KB, 300x100px
>>42348226
>>
Just use Debian (or its derivatives) like normal people and you'll have time to actually do some real work, not just re-tinker with the OS for the millionth time because it broke again.
>>
>>42348217
Both are equally technical, gentoo might be a tad more dificult since you need (or can) compile the kernel and set the right useflags for your software.

Also gentoo compiles, which means the installation process takes more time.
>>
>>42348217
Everyone hates Arch.

Stop going to Desktop threads by the way, shitnigger.
>>
>>42348290
Why are you so mad at Arch?
>>
>>42348217
It depends on who you are and what you need.

You'll either prefer Gentoo, or Arch, or perhaps just use both.

Or any other distro.
>>
>>42348290
>Everyone hates Arch
>I speak for Everyone
y-yeah, sure
>>
>>42348298
>Projecting this hard because someone said shitnigger.
Found the Nigger.
>>
i've used both, moving from gentoo to arch

for me it mainly boils down to compiling and use flags

in most cases on a modern machine, compiling things with optimizations yeilds no practical advantage, which means things take longer to install and update, plus managing use flags yeilds at best a bit of saved disk space in things you don't need being avoided (and disk space is not exactly rare anymore)

also for use flags, i hated having to reinstall (and therefore recompile) things i forgot to add a use flag for (for example, say i installed mplayer and forgot to enable aac support, then tried to play an aac file, i'd have to edit the use flags and compile mplayer again)

arch doesn't have these issues, being binary based, and its defaults line up quite closely to my preferences, making it, for me, pretty much everything i liked about gentoo and none of the downsides
>>
>>42348317
no, it is YOU who is the nigger!
>>
>>42348317
>projecting
Um, no? I use Arch, I can't be mad at it.
>>
>>42348317
1/10 troll harder
>>
File: 1334119705305.jpg (59KB, 650x416px) Image search: [Google]
1334119705305.jpg
59KB, 650x416px
>>42348217
>Gentoo
>complicated
No?
>>
>>42348311
>Not looking beyond your desktop generals

>>42348329
>>42348331
>>42348332
Jesus Christ.
I mentioned someone was a shit nigger.There's no reason to be mad.
>>
>>42348328
You used Gentoo for all the strong reasons and then realized you didn't know how to into portage so you jumped ship to something retard proof.

You're in the wrong thread, you're looking for the desktop thread.
>>
File: ruse-o-copter.png (95KB, 552x704px) Image search: [Google]
ruse-o-copter.png
95KB, 552x704px
>>42348352
Well done sir. *tip fedora*
>>
>>42348328
Thanks this heled me a lot. I am going to install Linux on my Lenovo S9e. And it doesn't have that much power. So I was thinking either Gentoo or Arch, since I want to avoid all the useless packages that comes with the other distros. And I think I am going with Arch.
>>
>>42348328

Exactly right. If you're using old hardware, you need Gentoo. My old T21 is still going strong and that thing's ten years old since I can optimize everything for the processor.

Arch is better for modern hardware.
>>
>>42348356
>You used Gentoo for all the wrong(presumably) reasons
can you elaborate?

i did like gentoo, if you can tell me what i did wrong i might consider it again
>>
>>42348371
>Useless packages
Arch adds a lot of useless bloat, and the kiddies working on them had to go full Damage Controll on that.

Case in point: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
Earlier on this page used to have the "No useless bloat" rule.It has been taken down since Arch isn't that anymore.
>>
>>42348371
Hey. IT there a possibility you can upload your distro, so that I can use it on my T40.
>>
>>42348386
Arch is just gentoo for posers, if you have good hardware there is no reason not to compile everything.
>>
>>42348426
at the same time if you have good hardware there's little reason to compile everything
>>
>>42348388
Gentoo isn't useful if all you do is browse /g/ using Chrome on a tiling wm.

You've actually gotta use your desktop for something to see the benefit of portage.
>>
>>42348426
There's no reason TO compile everything
>>
>>42348454
>Using Chrome
So basically everyone on /g/ should use Gentoo?
>>
File: 1395325723469.gif (2MB, 285x217px)
1395325723469.gif
2MB, 285x217px
>>42348467
>There's no reason TO compile everything
>>42348454 perfectly describes you.
>>
>>42348473
Don't waste your time with Gentoo, it's just a massive joke
>>
>>42348473
Literally the exact opposite, /g/ doesn't use Linux for anything that isn't ricing and then booting into Windows to play vidya.
>>
>>42348516
>actually thinking gentoo is just an epic meme
>>
>>42348529
>actually thinking gentoo is more than just an epic meme
>>
>>42348546
wait, there are people on /g/ that aren't using Gentoo?
>>
>>42348454

What's the point using gentoo anyway ? I heard it was good for programing in C/C++ but what's the difference with another linux distro apart from customisation
>>
File: arch.png (871KB, 650x4377px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
871KB, 650x4377px
>arch
>>
>>42348559
At least 90% don't, notice the overwhelming amount of Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, Debian (and CrunchBang) and BSD users compared to Gentoo?
>>
>>42348563
portage
>>
>>42348546
Go back to memebase then tard.
>>
>>42348569
Simply epic
>>
>>42348594
Wtf is that ?
>>
>>42348217
>Starting with Arch or Gentoo
Just choose Fedora or something jesus christ.
>>
>>42348591
what
>>
>>42348606
Keep using Gentoo delusional friend :)
>>
>>42348591
Aren't you basically saying that Gentoo users don't spend 90% of their time shitposting in desktop threads?
>>
>>42348634
>Delusional
Im tipping my GNU/Linux distro right now.
>>
>>42348634
well, it is the best distro, so
>>
>>42348618
Enjoy being an unpaid redhat lab rat?
>>
>>42348634
Thanks, I will.
>>
I have a slightly related question:
I am currently using Win7, and I created a 7GB partition on my computer for Debian. How do I install Debian to that partition exclusively?
>>
>>42348687
There comes a dialog during installation where you can pick whole disk, existing partition, free space, and such.
>>
So Fedora is basically Debian without outdated packages?
>>
If you want to become an experienced Linux user, install Gentoo.

If you want to make a joke out of yourself, install Arch.
>>
>>42348848
I don't see difference between those two except how they handle packages. It's all Linux, you retards.
>>
>>42348261
Define "real work" please.
>>
>>42348848
If you want to troll properly on /g/, troll Arch users.

If you want to boast properly on /g/, install Gentoo.
>>
File: tipsfedora.png (23KB, 389x323px) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.png
23KB, 389x323px
>>
>>42348569
>install Debian thinking it won't be as much of a timesink as Arch
>fonts look like ass, go to download infinality
>realize sudo isn't installed by default, install it
>realize user isn't in sudo/wheel group by default, add it
>have to pull in a million libs for infinality
>get infinality installed, lets get some ubuntu mono up in this bitch
>ubuntu fonts aren't even in the repos (not even non-free) because muh freedom or some shit

I feel like a newbie who just got tricked into installing Gentoo
>>
>>42350279
You didnt install debian ever. Sudo is root user acess through lxterm and its there by default. I have debian on a flash drive and the only thing that required any configuring was a wlan driver for my gfs laptop. The one in my laptop came stock with debian its just broadcom requires the non free and contrib repos. Debian also comes wiyh other fonts out of the box but if you are autistic enough to care about that, yet stupid enough to not figure it out maybe you should just become a mac babby.
>>
>>42348217
There are only two usable distros in the world: Ubuntu and Arch. Why?
Software availability. Arch has the AUR, and Ubuntu has PPAs. Every other distro is shit for this purpose and you have to manually compile many packages.
>>
>>42350391
>Debian also comes wiyh other fonts out of the box but if you are autistic enough to care about that, yet stupid enough to not figure it out maybe you should just become a mac babby.
Oh boy I care about how good my fonts look like, I *must* be autistic. Also I did get them to work after downloading them manually from Ubuntu's website, how fun.

>Sudo is root user acess through lxterm and its there by default.
What are you even talking about? sudo is not installed by default, su is, but not sudo.
>>
>>42348217
Are you talking about the boards sticky?

wiki.installgentoo.com is not instructions for installing gentoo. It is just the /g/ wiki.
>>
>>42348217
Nah, I just use it because Gentoo has stuff take longer to install.
I would totally use it otherwise.
>>
>>42348261
>recommending freetard distro that might as well be FSF endorsed for normal people and "real work"
>>
File: WHAT YEAR IS IT.jpg (22KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT YEAR IS IT.jpg
22KB, 500x372px
>>42348261
>not just re-tinker with the OS for the millionth time because it broke again.
>>
>>42350451
Anyone who has used Debian can tell you never have. Fonts are there right out of the box and its fairly easy to find. You dont have to do anything special to get sudo to work. Just be listed on sudoers list, no downloading necessary. You never tried Debian and are just bashing it because, being the autist fanboy that you are, you dislike anything that isnt your babby proof OSX.
>>
I heard the new York stock exchange runs on Gentoo
>>
>>42350659
I just installed it on my laptop, and have many times before but I've never stayed because of this bullshit. Fonts look godawful out of the box and you know it, Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives are the only ones in which they look good by default.
>>
Arch is easier and way way way way quicker to install than Gentoo since you don't have to compile everything.
Especially if you use the AUI script, you'll be done in no time and it doesn't take a lot more effort than installing Ubuntu.
>>
>>42350279
>realize you need to move to Sid to actually get anything that isn't Iceweasel up to date
>Sid breaks more than Arch stable
I love you Debian.
>>
Shitposting aside, I'm curious about Sabayon and why it doesn't get discussed here? Is it just because it's specifically is a fork of Gentoo meant to just werk? I haven't seen it discussed much, negatively or otherwise. Why is that?
>>
>>42348217
As someone who currently uses arch, gentoo is way fucking harder to install properly.
>>
>>42350992
I dont have any problem with any font that I can read because im not a faggot. I have however stumbled across how to change fonts in Debian without needing to download anything. Its so easy Im genuinely concerned for your saftey in navigating everyday life if you cant figure it out. If what you said is true, you have installed Debian and needed to download sudo and fonts, you are everything that is wrong with the PC world and you should probably kill yourself. Failing that, which I know you will from your track record of failing at life in general, please get out of /g/ and never touch a computer again.
>>
>>42350725
>>42350725
I could believe that.
>>
>>42348217
are you just simply troll or retard?

>gentoo is here for a much longer time than arch
>the real linux distribution
>a little harder to install and use, but gives you rock stable, highly customizable and low maintance distro

>arch came late
>from some russian underaged hackers
>not bad system with not bad package manager
>terrible ports system
>used by many linbabies that wont bigger e-peen but couldnt install gentoo
>>
>>42351330
Sabayon is gentoo except without the benefits.
>>
>>42351121
Whats wrong with chromium on wheezy?
>>
>>42351689
There's nothing wrong with chromium, wheezy is woefully out of date.
>>
>>42351796
>botnetium
>>
>>42351796
What difference does it make? Im just curious because I run wheezy and notice no issues.
>>
>>42351874
Like, specifically? I remember wanting to use ncmpcpp, but the version on the repos was outdated and didn't have the feature I wanted to use, so I had to compile the latest stable myself. which is not cool at all. And I think I got lucky because a library it depended on could have been out of date, making the whole process even more complicated.

Either you deal with it, or you switch to Sid.
>>
>>42351874
I used to use wheezy for about half a year, and as soon as I switched to Arch I noticed the packages were very old.
>>
>>42351436
>terrible ports system
Are you talking about ABS? What's terrible about it?
>>
File: 1304757801477.jpg (19KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1304757801477.jpg
19KB, 493x387px
>>42351436
>arch
>March 11, 2002

>gentoo
>31 March 2002

(wikipedia in charge of consistant date formats)

your face when arch is older than gentoo
>>
Wanna compile and thus have control about compile time options everything? Use gentoo.
Wanna have binaries for most things and custom compile only a few packages? Use Arch.

Otherwise there isn't much of a difference. Both systems require more maintenance than a run of the mill debian.
>>
>>42351436
What if I use Arch because I could install gentoo but I didn't enjoy using it because it's package installation was slow and preferred Arch?
>>
>>42348217
Gentoo and Arch are very similar.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Gentoo_Linux
If you want a metadistro that is source based, go with Gentoo.
If you want a metadistro that is binary based, go with Arch
>>
>>42348569
The only thing that you would need to install Arch is beginners guide, fdisk usage page(can be done through YouTube videos for ease of use), general recommedations page and man pages of WM of your choice, it's not that hard, you only need to have will.
>>
>>42353223
same here

guy has some points, but choosing between them isn't just "one is better, one is worse", it depends on an individual case

things like how much flexibility is needed, how strict are the cpu and disk space requirements, how often one will do installs and updates.. all adds up to the difference between the two

gentoo is obviously more flexible, but what good is that if someone doesn't need the additional flexibility it provides?
>>
>>42350279
sudo is default just for the blep distros
it isn't in Arch by default either
>>
>>42350659
>Anyone who has used Debian can tell you never have. Fonts are there right out of the box and its fairly easy to find. You dont have to do anything special to get sudo to work. Just be listed on sudoers list, no downloading necessary. You never tried Debian and are just bashing it because, being the autist fanboy that you are, you dislike anything that isnt your babby proof OSX.

It's pretty funny how much you protest he has never used Debian because of this sudo thing.

Just an FYI: Debian has never had sudo installed by default and it's way of setting up sudo %wheel is different to I believe any other distro.
>>
>>42350725
>I heard the new York stock exchange runs on Gentoo

Nope.
Nowhere that makes money or needs any form of basic security uses Gentoo and they never will. They all use SUSE or RHEL because they need paid support and someone to be held responsible for security patching of software. It's why RH make so many millions of $ each year, they provide the right service.
>>
>>42354612
Funnily enough, hardened Gentoo has higher level of security than RHEL.
>>
>>42354612
no, they use real unix
>>
>>42354633
>Funnily enough, hardened Gentoo has higher level of security than RHEL.

Not really funny at all, hardened Gentoo is nothing other then a bunch of extra very basic cflags which are all used in every other distro apart from 'normal' Gentoo which doesn't even come with basic stack protection as well as patches which are done by a very small team (mostly by one guy, sven something) and are completely un-audited and have no backing for usage in a commercial mission critical use case.
>>
File: gentoo.jpg (34KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
34KB, 400x300px
I use Gentoo mostly for the USE flags, they let me tear out shit I don't want.

Install time isn't that bad unless you're a complete idiot or use an ancient machine.

MAKEOPTS="-j#"

Where # is the number of cores in your system.

shm                     /var/tmp        tmpfs           noatime         0 0

In your fstab. SSD's ain't got shit on RAM-disks.
>>
>>42348569
>coreutils
>bloat
everytime
>>
>>42355120
Wrong. The # denotes your gentoo power level, and thus you must increase it until your system is as edgy as you are.
>>
>>42348217
arch loves systemd
>>
>>42351350
I had to Google around and ended up on the Sabayon wiki trying to install Arch. I followed the Gentoo wiki and Gentoo just worked. Just saying.
>>
>>42356442
I just followed the wiki and had no problem with arch. But to get the full of gentoo you need to understand how to compile the general properly.
>>
>>42354140
>guy has some points, but choosing between them isn't just "one is better, one is worse", it depends on an individual case

This whole discussion is like two retarded kids arguing over an ant covered bologna sandwich on the playground...
>>
>>42350279
apt-get install sudo
adduser foo sudo

It's like a holocaust up in here.
>>
>>42351436
Arch is older than Gentoo
>>
>>42348687
>7GB
It'll install fine on that, but you're probably going to run out of space if you use it at all. I'd recommend either resizing that up to at least 20GB before installing or just using a VM.
>>
>>42361895
7G is enough for a basic desktop setup

rootfs                                                  4.7G  1.7G  2.8G  38% /
>>
>>42348217
Xubuntu for booting pretty much all current hardware into usability
>>
>>42348261
Arch user for a year here, not broken anything yet.
>>
>>42359247
>arch v1.0 release date: 2007/08/05
>gentoo v1.0 release date: 2002/03/31
maybye I forgot how numbers work
>>
Arch has the ABS.
>>
>>42362422
>>42352875

"1.0" isn't the point when something starts
>>
>>42362863
yeah, that is truth for both arch and gentoo
>>
>>42362422
>maybye I forgot how numbers work
No, it more seems like you don't understand versioning at all. Might want to work on that before posting again.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.