[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone on this show use a fucking Mac? Even if they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 8

File: pied piper silicon valley.png (45KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
pied piper silicon valley.png
45KB, 630x630px
Why does everyone on this show use a fucking Mac?

Even if they don't use Windows, I haven't seen Linux anywhere on the show.
>>
>>42027613
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>42027682
It's the logo for the tech startup in a show called Silicon Valley.
>>
>>42027613
Wide Diaper
>>
>>42027613
It's a stable Unix machine which is great for development. Try programming with Ruby on Rails on a PC.
>>
It's not that uncommon in the mobile app scene.

I really enjoy the show, but it's moments when they try to say something related to technology that I just get autistically frustrated at how wrong or innacurate they can sometimes be.
>>
A good chunk of Silicon Valley is Mac-based.

Seriously.
>>
>>42027613
Mac's are used all over the place in silicon valley. Google, Amazon and more have banned Windows iirc. OS X is stable and UNIX based.
>>
What is the IDE that they use on the show?
>>
>>42028104
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7792685/Google-bans-Microsoft-Windows-on-office-computers.html
>>
>>42028104
In fairness though, how the fuck do they do enterprise networking on OSX?

Honestly, we run a big campus at my work, about 5-10k machines, at least 300 staff and a LOT of students.

Our (relatively small) Mac fleet is a fucking nightmare to maintain. It was a massive struggle to get it to integrate with Active Directory Services in the first place, and for image deployment, DeployStudio doesn't play nice about 50% of the time.

Fucking nightmare to maintain.
>>
>>42027613
Gilfoyle uses Ubuntu.
>>
>>42027613
Mobile app: Pied Piper Touch

PP Touch for short.
>>
>>42027613
Gilfoyle uses Ubuntu though you fucking fag
>>
>>42027974
>I really enjoy the show, but it's moments when they try to say something related to technology that I just get autistically frustrated at how wrong or innacurate they can sometimes be.

You should check out this show called CSI. I think you'd enjoy it.
>>
>>42028233
>Active Directory

That's your problem right there.
>>
File: shot0001.jpg (55KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
shot0001.jpg
55KB, 720x404px
>>42027974
>I really enjoy the show, but it's moments when they try to say something related to technology that I just get autistically frustrated at how wrong or innacurate they can sometimes be.
I think the Indian Java developer was pretty accurate.
>>
>>42027974
But most of it is pretty correct.

Sure you have to make something up to atleast let them have some kind of new idea.
>>
I don't know what you're on about, OP, there is a mixture of apple and pc products.
>>
>>42030486
>Apple and PC
Apple machines are PCs.
>>
>>42030528

>winderz

sorry
>>
They live in Silicon Valley...
>>
>>42027613

If you haven't noticed, Macs have infested every kind of TV show/movie/any fucking thing that has video. Just watch, almost any time a laptop is shown it will be a Mac.
>>
>>42027613
FFS I've seen the satanist use Ubuntu three times now. Look harder.
>>
>>42027613
this show is terrible, stop talking about it here.
>>
>>42030595

its a conspiracy
>>
>>42028124
IIRC it's Sublime Text.
>>
>>42030595
>almost any time a laptop is shown it will be a Mac
Unless HP or Dell paid more, which seems to enrage the autistic, neckbearded hordes even more.
>>
>>42028266
>>42028285
>Gilfoyle uses babby's first linux

fucking dropped, I thought he was cool
>>
>>42029952

Yeah, as someone who usually gets butt-frustrated about inaccuracies in TV shows, I have to say this show is actually pretty damn good.
>>
>>42030612
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

The show is great, and actually surprisingly accurate, and fuck you too.
>>
>>42030633

All arch/gentoo users don't have jobs and live in their mum's basement, so at least it is realistic.
>>
>>42028104
Google uses Googlebuntu or whatever it's called
>>
>>42030626
>Unless HP or Dell paid more

HP got their logo prime position in the opening credits.
>>
>>42029931
What the fuck should we be using for cross-platform services then?

If you say Novell, I will find you, and stab you in the face.
>>
>>42027974
It's actually largely accurate. I understand they employ some of the DevOps Cabal to act as technical consultants.
>>
>>42028233
>In fairness though, how the fuck do they do enterprise networking on OSX?

Easily. It works fine.

OS X has a very reasonably fine AD plug in, and there are third party companies that make plugins that do it too.

>Our (relatively small) Mac fleet is a fucking nightmare to maintain

Sounds like you have a shitty Mac admin.

>It was a massive struggle to get it to integrate with Active Directory Services in the first place

It's pretty easy, really. Use DeployStudio's binding scripts.

>and for image deployment, DeployStudio doesn't play nice about 50% of the time.

Imaging is over and done. Thin-or-no-imaging is where it's at. Use CreateOSXInstallPkg + Munki instead.
>>
>>42030670
Well, they are a Valley institution. Shit, even the Woz worked there before he started Apple with that other guy.
>>
>>42027964
I don't use rails, but I program with ruby just fine on Windows.
>>
>>42030637
>>42029952
Are you joking? Have you ever even see the Indian computing curriculum?

It's INCREDIBLY heavily Microsoft-based, most specifically around VB.NET. They have a huge M$ bias in that country.

Also, more relevantly to the show, there are plenty of times when he mentions concepts and paradigms that aren't even relevant to Java, in the context of Java. The technical inveteracies just infuriate me to no end.
>>
>>42029952

>Java developer is indian

Pretty accurate

Only an involved mentally inferior shitskin would use java

If you write java you aren't white, even if you have blonde hair and blue eyes, you're automatically disqualified from whiteness
>>
You are now aware that Mike Judge - the creator of the show - actually worked as a programmer.
>>
I really enjoyed the recent episode with the Techcrunch Disrupt competition. Just goes to show you how completely and utterly full of shit tech companies are.
>>
>mfw all the ridiculous shit like "bicycle meetings" are actual things that happen in SV
>>
>>42030461
Name one thing about it that is correct. You've got a non-existent benchmarking system that makes no sense, resting on top of a concept (this compression shit) that is completely technically impossible, but more important if it was possible it would be completely infeasible since the amount of processing power required to facilitate such a complex compression/decompression would completely nom the battery anyway, rendering the app pointless.
>>
>>42029952
>>42030637
>>42030736
>>42030747

He's Pakistani. Well Pakistani-American. Was a big plot point in that Episode with the Satanist guy who is Canadian.
>>
>>42030811
It's a TV show, dude. Artistic license and all that. Relax.
>>
>>42030736
>Also, more relevantly to the show, there are plenty of times when he mentions concepts and paradigms that aren't even relevant to Java

What, you mean like developing a perfect compression algorithm for any given input?

OH WAIT THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S A FUCKING WORK OF FICTION
>>
>>42030633
I use Ubuntu... What's wrong with it? It has a lot of support. What makes other versions better?
>>
>>42030842
RELAX?! DON'T YOU FUCKING TELL ME TO RELAX, BOY. YOU LET SHIT LIKE THIS SLIDE, AND PEOPLE WILL START THINKING OTHER WRONG THINGS ARE OKAY, BECAUSE WE'LL JUST LET IT SLIDE LIKE THE MISUSE OF THE WORD IRONIC, THEN ONE DAY EVERYONE'S USING THE WORD INCORRECTLY AND YOU CAN'T USE IT THE OLD WAY ANYMORE AND THERE ARE NO FUCKING SYNONYMS FOR IT SO YOU'RE JUST COMPLETELY FUCKED, COMPLETELY UNDERMINING THE POINT OF COMMUNICATION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

But no, it's okay. Go back to making your visual gui interface in vb to trace those criminals' IPAs. I know this is a technically correct thing you guys do, because i saw it on the televisions.
>>
>>42030811
>Name one thing about it that is correct

Everything other than the bits you've got your tightly waded pink autism panties in a bunch over.

However I suspect you can't even recognise the bits that are entirely accurate because you're an autistic NEET living in a basement who's never actually worked in the real world and have no idea that people actually use things like Java, and Chef, and Jenkins and that Disrupt is a real conference and yeah actually everyone uses beat up 15" MacBooks with stickers all over them because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IT'S A FUCKING WORK OF FICTION WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU FUCKING PEOPLE JESUS CHRIST

Look, it casts geeks in a positive light. It is LARGELY technically accurate. It is funny. It is made by Mike Judge, who gave us Office Space and Idiocracy. It is the antidote to Big Bang Theory. Shut the fuck up, sit the fuck down, and go back to wanking over Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>42029952
>>42030747
He's Pakistani.
Also Gilfoyle allegedly did some amazing Java in the latest episode.
>>
>>42030857
>I use Ubuntu... What's wrong with it?

Nothing, but the newbies who are in their "I need to use Gentoo to really learn Linux" phase think it's "too easy". Once they've made it through their "I need it to be stable" Debian phase they'll finally realise and return to the "I need it to just fucking work" final Ubuntu phase.
>>
>>42030857

Unity has an amazon botnet

They heavily patch their packages which fucks things up all the time, it's one of the most unstable distros out there

They shit all over the unix philosophy, caconical has to reach their slimy fingers into every part of the OS, every single thing has to be controlled by them

Because every part of the OS has to be written an maintained by caconical, many of the parts are are complete shit (upstart) and you can't change them
>>
>>42030898
You should switch to decaf, friend.
>>
File: 1389135306634.jpg (55KB, 575x615px) Image search: [Google]
1389135306634.jpg
55KB, 575x615px
>watching a big bang theory clone
>>
>>42030932

>Ubuntu
>Just working

lol, more shit breaks in Ubuntu than every other distro combined
>>
>>42030908
The only technological accuracies are their inclusion of buzzwords, and half the time they can't even get that right.

TUPLES? YOU KNOW, TUPLES?!!?

disclaimer: I write (mostly) abstract business layer implementations for a large software firm, mostly based around the MVC architecture.
>>
>>42027613
Apple pays Hollywood for product placement. I thought it was obvious.
>>
>>42030940
I suppose we should be watching Battle Programmer Shitstain or whatever it's called, right?
>>
>>42030935
>Unity has an amazon botnet

Use Xubuntu

>They heavily patch their packages which fucks things up all the time, it's one of the most unstable distros out there

topest of tip top lels

>They shit all over the unix philosophy

Yeah that's why Canonical invented systemd and...OH BUT WAIT

>Because every part of the OS has to be written an maintained by caconical

You can't even get the name right, and don't even realise that Ubuntu is pretty much just Debian Testing with some extra packages.

Your entire opinion is invalid.
>>
>>42030980
how about not watching shitty sitcoms at all
>>
>>42030957
>I am too retarded to make Ubuntu work

Put down the keyboard.
>>
>>42030965
>I write (mostly) abstract business layer implementations for a large software firm, mostly based around the MVC architecture.

So you're a code monkey and have no idea what it's like working for a startup using technologies developed in this century? O.K so thanks for the input. How about pay some more attention to the show, maybe Google (it's uh, like Yahoo! but newer...) some of the technical terms they use and read up on them.
>>
>>42030995
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!!111!!!

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>42030995
How about not obsessing over what others do, since it doesn't affect you in any way?
>>
>>42030981
Wait hold up. Ubuntu is Debian "testing". Does that mean Debian stable has even more outdated packages? Jesus
>>
>>42031051

It's not debian testing, it has different repositories with different packages
>>
>>42031051
Other than the "GOTTA GO FAST" faggots, people actually value some stability. Particularly on servers.
>>
>>42027613
because you need OS X to run Xcode and publish apps to the iOS app store, there's literally no other reason, it's the same bullshit vendor lock-in stuff that can be expected of any other proprietary company

honestly I laugh when people say "b-b-b-but the OS X kernel is BSD licensed," yeah it is, but all the actual desktop software that people have been made to depend on is proprietary and you can bet your ass apple leverages that to their advantage
>>
>>42031083
Ubuntu is largely kept in sync with Debian Testing.
>>
>>42027613
It's satire. It highlights stereotypes. One big stereotype in the pile of hipsters called Silicon Valley is the convergence of Mac users.
>>
>>42030595
this screenshot is apparently taken from the show
>>42029952
>>
>>42030973
This.

It's funny when between seasons you see the actors using different computers. I've seen several shows with obvious microsoft, sony, samsung, etc product placement where all the shots of them using a computer will feature a large company logo in some way. It's even more obvious when they write the names of products and marketing bullshit into the script... I remember watching a show a while ago where one of the actors literally said "I'm going to open skydrive on my surface and upload these files." How fucking gratuitous can you get?
>>
>>42031085
Guess I might've been unlucky but for example the packages for the Go language are like, not even up to version 1.0 when the latest stable version is like 1.2.1 or something.
>>
File: chuy.jpg (47KB, 584x320px) Image search: [Google]
chuy.jpg
47KB, 584x320px
>>42027613
The original log was better.
>>
>>42031155
>Don't believe me? Bing it!

>What's that? It looks delicious!
>This is a Five Dollar Footlong™ from Subway™!
>>
>>42031051
It's called "Debian STABLE" for a reason, friend.
>>
>>42031184
Hi, honey! Look what I got free at the checkout. It's a "Chef's Pal". It's a dicer, grater, peeler, all in one. Never needs sharpening, dishwasher safe!
>>
>>42031184
I love how you can just smell the ™ from the show sometimes.
>>
>>42031215
>the show

Which show? They're ALL like that.
>>
>>42031229
Meant all of them.
>>
>>42028104
From a user standpoint, the command line in OS X is like Linux, but with added stability and the ability to take it to the Genius Bar when you screw up.

>inb4 Mac is not Linux
No, it's not. It's close enough for most tasks, though. And I can SSH into a Linux box if I need to.

>inb4 Genius Bar costs money
The average salary in San Francisco is more than enough to accommodate a trip or two. Also, get a job.

>inb4 RMS's principles of free software
freetard detected

>inb4 only homosexuals use Macs
No, only liberals use Macs. Go enjoy your out of date computing experience, redneck.

>inb4 NSA
Just as bad on Linux. If they can use an adapter pattern for what software you're using, they can spy on you. Keep that in mind.

>inb4 users are stupid
MOST users are stupid. Even though I am perfectly capable of running a Linux laptop like a complete NEET, I don't want to wake up with homework to compile and submit to Git to find that the kernel needs compiling. My Mac just werks.
>>
>>42031016
>MVC
>not this century

what if I told you one of our products is an XML based interfacing layer for (primarily cloud-centred) database communication on mobile application platforms?

But no, you're right. I haven't been part of the 90000001 failed start-ups that try to develop retarded and nonsensical businesses with a useless hipster language like Ruby. I guess I don't know anything.
>>
>>42031270
Are you quoting the right person?
>>
File: 1359914256025s.jpg (3KB, 125x124px) Image search: [Google]
1359914256025s.jpg
3KB, 125x124px
>>42030661
kek
>>
>>42031294
>what if I told you one of our products is an XML based interfacing layer for (primarily cloud-centred) database communication on mobile application platforms?

I'd say "Whoopee fucking doo!" and move on with my life.

Also XML? Please. Your product is written in Java, isn't it?
>>
>>42030626
Windows is great. OEMs are terrible. Why market shit-tier laptops on a show that might inspire people to code?
>>
>>42030661
Accurate. Well, Google does hire a few Gentoo people, but nobody ever sees them outside of the payroll.
>>
>>42030932
THIS. I went through that phase in high school. Glad I stopped myself when I was using Arch.
>>
>>42027613
dinesh doesn't use a mac
>>
Richard X Jared.

They'll fuck by the end of the show, I guarantee it.
>>
>>42031388
>mfw imagining the hidden gentooists roaming around in google's basement
>>
>>42031410
Everyone does, it's the 4 phases of Linux.
>>
>>42030935
>amazon botnet
basement dweller detected
>>
>>42031365
Because money. If Dell comes to you and offers a few million to feature their products in your movie or television show, are you really going to turn them down?
>>
>>>42028104
>the command line in OS X is like Linux, but with added stability

Mein sides
>>
>>42030957
>hurr durr I followed some guy's guide online and now my install doesn't werk anymore halp me
UNDERAGE B&
>>
>>42031351
The language varies depending on the deployment platform, that's the entire point of the interface being abstract.

Also, if you ever worked with any phone deployment, you'd know that XML is the best way to interface between the data and application layers on mobile platforms. Who the fuck is the one with no real world experience now?
>>
>>42031270
>Just as bad on Linux. If they can use an adapter pattern for what software you're using, they can spy on you. Keep that in mind.

Sure they can but using free software makes it harder for them to do so. When you use proprietary software there really is nothing standing in their way.
>>
>>42031155
>How fucking gratuitous can you get?
Watch the last two seasons of Fringe. There are entire scenes that look like Nissan commercials.

>inb4 product placement sucks
Yeah it does. But when a great TV show only attracts a niche audience, its ratings plummet, which makes it less marketable, so it can't make ad money as well.

Tl;dr: Fringe was on life support.
>>
>>42031469
>The language varies depending on the deployment platform

So that's a "Yes" then.

>Also, if you ever worked with any phone deployment, you'd know that...

THANK JESUS FUCK no. The closest I ever came was a brush with an SS7 device that I had to tie into a testing framework.

>Who the fuck is the one with no real world experience now?

Uh...you still? Yeah, it's you.
>>
I don't know if anyone knows this, but there's such a thing as "content marketing." Most TV shows are bid on by various companies to fight for the chance to put their products front and center in a show, especially in an HBO show, as the only people who own HBO are obviously more well off than most people.

Apple has been content marketing and giving away products to celebrities so that their products seem ubiquitous in a business and social environment.

Most businesses still happily run Windows products, and will continue to do so.
>>
http://www.piedpiper.com/#hello

(BERTRAM) GILFOYLE

“The Eye of Sauron”

Systems Architect

McGill. MIT. EFF. 666Chan.

>666Chan

Am I the only one that ever noticed this? No one has EVER pointed this out in any other threads
>>
>>42031213
Hi, Billy Mays here to show you all the fucks I give.

Oh wait, my hand's empty...
>>
>>42030932
>Ubuntu
>just works

Not sure what you're talking about. I'm a developer and trying to do anything on Ubuntu is a nightmare. It's a huge hassle to get all the correct versions of development tools/libraries installed. The most bizarre thing is it doesn't even ship with gcc (?????????), seriously what kind of Unix system doesn't have a fucking C compiler installed?
>>
>>42031450
If I have any self-respect, yes. I mean, that's why the show is on HBO. Mike's probably getting subscription costs subsidizing the show.
>>
>>42030683
What the shit are you even trying to accomplish?
>>
>>42031572
What do you use?
>>
>>42031572
>The most bizarre thing is it doesn't even ship with gcc

Sorry, what in the Jesus fuck is wrong with you?

$ apt-cache search gcc | grep ^gcc | wc -l
>>
>>42031487
>implying the openness of free software allows them to make even more effective adapters
>implying they add those adapters back into the source code
>implying they're not hoarding custom versions of popular programs designed to spy on the masses
>implying RMS would not be in jail right now on some BS charge if he was still relevant

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
>>42031270
>when you screw up
are you seriously saying you have the knowledge to know what terminal is, but lack the basic intelligence not only to prevent yourself from fucking up an incredibly simple device, but that you have to go out of your way to have someone else fix your fucking computer?

are OS X users this fucking dumb?
>>
>>42031517
The interface is not developed in Java. It incorporates various different languages and frameworks. The concrete implementations include C#, Java, and Objectve-C, among others. I have no control over what language those teams choose to develop their implementations in.
>>
File: section_technology_bg.jpg (162KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
section_technology_bg.jpg
162KB, 1000x563px
What the fuck is this? Taken from their website:
http://www.piedpiper.com/
>>
>>42031572
>calls himself a linux user
>can't even apt-get install gcc
#REKT
>>
>>42031592
Gentoo for development. Being able to create ebuilds from just git urls is a significant time saver.

>>42031519
Most tech workers I know these days use GNU/Linux or OS X. Development on Windows is broken and still extremely focused around one overpriced and bloated product (visual studio)

>>42031627
It's in the repo, but it's not installed
>>
>>42031659
Uh, a desk? A keyboard? Screen? Bottle of beer? Half eaten slice of Pizza? A pair of hands? Uh...a pair of headphones? Help me out here.
>>
>>42031686
>It's in the repo, but it's not installed

No fucking shit?

Apart from "GOTTA GO FAST" systems, which ones *do* install a compiler by default? The BSD's only do it because they still rely on ports. Even proper UNIX's like Solaris and (yes...) OS X don't ship with a compiler installed.
>>
>>42030661
I'm using Arch and I have used it at work. I also don't live with my parents.
>>
>>42031675
GCC not being installed by default is just indicative of who the system is set up for.

Also, good luck trying to pull the latest development version of GCC on ubuntu.

>>42031706
C is the language of Unix. The system is really not useful without a C compiler.
>>
>>42031730
>C is the language of Unix. The system is really not useful without a C compiler.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard
>>
>>42031730
POSIX, Single Unix Specification and even UNIX certification do not at any point require a C compiler to be installed.

Now go away.
>>
>>42031659
probably some emacs extension
>>
I'm surprised so many /g/ users dislike the show. The newest episode criticized women in the industry pretty hard.
>>
>>42031643
The software being free also allows the users to easier spot those backdoors and remove them. With proprietary software, users can't do that.

Also RMS is a fat jew from new york who went to harvard and MIT. He was able to surround himself with lawyers, famous pedagogues and other rich people which is partly why his movement has been so successful. No government can really touch him.
>>
>>42031743
I take it you're a /v/irgin who thinks computers are only useful for playing video games and browsing facebook?

>>42031749
Never said they did. Dat strawman.
>>
>>42031686
Most tech workers I know use strictly Windows/Linux with a heavy bias towards Windows.

In terms of development, Windows might be bloated, but for networking and server administration (especially at companies that just need a strong back end that won't quit), it works just fine.
>>
>>42031831
>I take it you're a /v/irgin who thinks computers are only useful for playing video games and browsing facebook?

I take it you're an elitist nerd who thinks computers are only useful for programming in C?
>>
>>42031831
>Never said they did.
>The system is really not useful without a C compiler.

Back peddle some more you chucklefuck.
>>
>>42031659
>Pied Piper is a multi-platform technology based on a proprietary universal compression algorithm that has consistently fielded high Weisman Scores™ that are not merely competitive, but approach the theoretical limit of lossless compression.
>proprietary
>>
>>42031519
What's sad is that most people will think that Apple products are actually good after seeing all of the product placement.

>professional nerds using Apple products
>I need a Macbook so I can be a nerd xD
>>
>>42031906
Except that they're actually good? OS X is basically linux without all the bullshit.
>>
>>42031920
If I wanted a no-bullshit system with only half the tools I normally use I'd switch to Plan9.
OSX has the worst terminal emulators of any OS.
>>
>>42031920
>OS X is basically linux without all the bullshit.
And a whole new pile of Apple's bullshit instead.
>>
>>42031866
>doesn't respect my freedom
>fucking dropped

that being said, i think most people don't actually know what proprietary means, and it just serves as a buzzword
>>
>>42031846
You sound like you're working in the trenches at an older company. Windows is only useful for low-level tech workers. The only admins who prefer it are help-desk types who cannot be bothered to learn anything besides active directory.

>>42031849
Where did I mention anything about the POSIX specification? Please point it out.

>>42031847
No I just think that all users should learn how to develop something at some point because the whole point of a computer is that it's programmable. It's really not that hard, anyone with a knowledge of highschool algebra can learn it in a weekend or two. I miss the old days when computers were considered useless if they didn't at least ship with a BASIC interpreter.

>>42031920
>BSD + a proprietary GUI = less bullshit
What? If anything that's more bullshit.
>>
>>42031949
BSD - the somewhat decent kernel + a clusterfuck of mach and darwin with the speed of a microkernel combined with the stability of a monolithic one + proprietary GUI
>>
>>42031989
>kernel replaced for no reason other than to be different, i.e. hipster garbage
>lol our GUI so kewl gotta keep it sekret so plebs kant mess with it XD
Sounds like bullshit to me.
>>
>>42031949
>No I just think that all users should learn how to develop something at some point because the whole point of a computer is that it's programmable

Not true at all. The whole point of a computer is to make certain work easier. Programming is not a prerequisite for productivity.

>It's really not that hard, anyone with a knowledge of highschool algebra can learn it in a weekend or two.

If they have the time and desire to do so, sure.

>I miss the old days when computers were considered useless if they didn't at least ship with a BASIC interpreter.

Those times were completely different times, when computers and the world were completely different.

Just like you don't need to know how an internal combustion engine works in order to drive a car, or need to understand how the flight computer on a commercial airline works in order to fly to Hawaii, you don't need to be able to program to get work done with a computer.
>>
>>42031949
>>BSD + a proprietary GUI = less bullshit
>What? If anything that's more bullshit.

OS X is not BSD + a propietary GUI.
>>
>>42031949
>Where did I mention whibble wobble blurp blub blub blub

Calm your tits Charlie Chuckle Fuck

POSIX, SuS & UNIX certification define "the system" therefore you have absolutely no standing to say that "The system" is anything but what those standard define. They do not define a compiler.
>>
>>42031920
>people actually taking the bait
>>
>>42032023
>The whole point of a computer is to make certain work easier
Stop falling for this marketing tripe. A computer is only as useful as is it controllable by the user, and when you rely on software written by others you have little control over its operation, especially when that software is proprietary and you can't study or modify it in any way.

>If they have the time and desire to do so, sure.
All tech workers should have the desire to do so because it will make them better at their jobs and further their careers.

>Just like you don't need to know how an internal combustion engine works in order to drive a car
Except driving a car is not the only thing you do with a car. Understanding how your car works can save you on repair bills, can help you maintain your car better and generally makes you smarter.

Is it just me or do proprietary software supporters aways seem to take an active anti-education stance? Stop trying to scare users by making them think programming is some daunting, scary task, it's actually retardedly simple
>>
>>42032035
You're right, it's just straight-up bullshit

>>42032036
Cool story bro. That really has nothing to do with what I said.
>>
>>42032129
>That really has nothing to do with what I said.

Yes it does Charlie. Now shut the fuck up and install the fucking compiler like everyone has been doing for the past decade.
>>
>>42032141
No thanks, I would rather just install a distro that has a less retarded default configuration
>>
>>42032089
>A computer is only as useful as is it controllable by the user, and when you rely on software written by others you have little control over its operation, especially when that software is proprietary and you can't study or modify it in any way

That's completely irrelevant for the definition of "useful."

If someone needs to write up a 10 page paper in college, programming is not useful nor required.

If someone needs to log into a website to access their bank statements, programming is not useful nor required.

You don't need to exert control over its operation in order to get a use out of it.

Your definition of "useful" is limited to a very small subset.

>All tech workers should have the desire to do so because it will make them better at their jobs and further their careers.

Most people aren't tech workers.

>Except driving a car is not the only thing you do with a car

It's the only thing _most_ people do with their car.

>Understanding how your car works can save you on repair bills, can help you maintain your car better and generally makes you smarter.

I'm not disputing this. I never stated it wasn't a good skill to have.

But it's not required to consider something "useful."

>Is it just me or do proprietary software supporters aways seem to take an active anti-education stance?

This has nothing to do with propietary software. I'm disputing your claim that the lack of a C compiler preinstalled makes the OS useless.
>>
It's like how super autist Shelden Cooper uses an iPhone and an Alienware laptop, even at home.
>>
>>42032155
>I would rather just install a distro that has a less retarded default configuration

Installing the compiler by default is the retarded configuration, as it isn't required and it's a fucking liability on a server. You'd know that if you weren't Mr. Chucklefuck Esq.
>>
>>42032165
>programming is not useful nor required.
Who are you to say it's not? What if writing that paper requires automating a repetitive task? What if I want to do some simple analytics on my finances? Good thing I learned python last weekend, now I can accomplish both these tasks in 5 minutes, whereas your solution probably involves buying some commercial solution that is probably overkill.

>Most people aren't tech workers.
Okay, this discussion isn't relevant to "most people"

>It's the only thing _most_ people do with their car.
Most people's cars don't need repairs? Most people aren't interested in extending the life of their cars?

>This has nothing to do with propietary software. I'm disputing your claim that the lack of a C compiler preinstalled makes the OS useless.
I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're some kind of microsoft/apple/canonical viral marketer considering you're trying to scare users into not learning how to program and trying to posit that they shouldn't have C compilers installed to make this easy
>>
>>42032165
>If someone needs to write up a 10 page paper in college, programming is not useful nor required
Except I had to write a 3-page paper and knowing just a little bit of LaTeX made it so much easier to make something presentable.
>If someone needs to log into a website to access their bank statements, programming is not useful nor required
Except to assess the security of given log in site. Something far too few people do.
>You don't need to exert control over its operation in order to get a use out of it
Do you also only ever occupy the passenger seat of a car?
>It's the only thing _most_ people do with their car
_most_ people are clearly retarded if they take their car to the shop and fork over 10 times more than the cost of changing that headlight bulb themselves. _most_ people I know would rather study and fix their car themselves. Luckily most cars come with detailed manuals on how they were constructed, how to take them apart and the circuit diagram of the electrical wiring.
>>
>>42032181
No one is talking about server OSes.
>>
File: javamethod.png (811KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
javamethod.png
811KB, 1366x768px
>>42029952
>>
>>42032291
>Linux
>Not a server OS

O.K sure thing Charlie McChucklefuck whatever you say.
>>
>>42031164
fokn chuy
poor guy got lied to ;_;
good thing he ran into some luck kek
>>
>>42032326
First of all Linux isn't even an OS, Linux is a kernel. Do you mean GNU/Linux?

Second of all, GNU/Linux is a desktop OS as well as a server OS. Stop being a faggot and trying to change the discussion just because you realized your posts were fucking stupid to begin with
>>
>>42032260
>What if writing that paper requires automating a repetitive task?

Way to shift the goalposts.

How many college essays did you write outside of programming classes that involved requiring actual programming?

>I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're some kind of microsoft/apple/canonical viral marketer considering you're trying to scare users into not learning how to program and trying to posit that they shouldn't have C compilers installed to make this easy

Where do you get this crap?

Anyone who needs a compiler installed can install one. The majority of users who want to use a computer are not doing so for the purpose of compiling code or any kind of programming. This is common sense.

>>42032268
>Except to assess the security of given log in site. Something far too few people do.

How exactly are you going to use a C compiler to determine whether or not you should go to www.wellsfargo.com?

I think you guys are again misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Programming is a wonderful and useful skill. It helps a lot of things.

It isn't required to use a computer, nor should i tbe.
>>
>>42031523
not surprising, theres a lot of guys like that on /g/ actually, you'll discover this if you go to any of the /g/ irc channels on rizon and get to know the regulars, all guys who are pretty much that archetype irl
>>
>>42032357
>Do you mean GNU/Linux?

No I meant Linux.

>Second of all blub blub blub blub

Oh I'm sorry Mr. Chuckle. F. Uck, did I upset you by pointing out you're a complete fucking retard with the intellect of a mewling kitten?
>>
>>42032364
>How many college essays did you write outside of programming classes that involved requiring actual programming?

Plenty. If I'm editing a large document and want to make specific changes in bulk the easiest way to do that is to script something. Your problem is you still don't seem to understand what computers are actually useful for.

>The majority of users who want to use a computer are not doing so for the purpose of compiling code or any kind of programming

We aren't talking about the "majority of users," we're talking about tech workers. Obviously this discussion doesn't apply to the typical facebook-addicted retarded teenager. You're the only one moving the goalposts here.
>>
>>42031523
>>42032403
What surprises me that Mike Judge/HBO Guy who made the website knows about imageboard and stereotypes on them.
>>
>>42032444
Fuck me, I meant imageboards.
>>
>>42032407
>No I meant Linux.
Ok well then your entire post makes no sense because Linux is a kernel, not an OS.

>did I pointing upset a you intellect by out retard with you're a of kitten fucking complete mewling the?
Yep.
>>
>>42032431
>If I'm editing a large document and want to make specific changes in bulk the easiest way to do that is to script something

I'd just use something like Find and Replace, but you're welcome to do things the hard way.

Word processors already have tools for this built in.

>Your problem is you still don't seem to understand what computers are actually useful for.

Your problem is that you refuse to accept the idea that something can be useful without programming.

>We aren't talking about the "majority of users," we're talking about tech workers

I don't know when that happened, but that was never in the context of your original post that started this:
>>42031730
>C is the language of Unix. The system is really not useful without a C compiler.

There's no context about who finds it useful there, just a blanket statement that the OS is not useful without a C compiler. You can do all kinds of things that don't require a C compiler.

You've argued with me every step of the way by insisting that somehow every single thing anyone does with their computer ever can be made better by writing a C program first. That's ludicrous.
>>
>>42032444
>people making a show and things to go along with it research culture relavant to the show

I wouldn't be surprised if 4chan was mentioned in the show at some point, or hinted at or something (say, visible on a screen in the background, hell maybe just the yotsuba or fatuba color)
>>
>>42032476
Maybe moot will do a guest spot.
>>
>>42032497
that would be glorious
>>
>>42032473
I'm referring to complex tasks that cannot be done with just find and replace. See this is what I'm talking about. You can't seem to visualize any workflow that is more complex than find and replace, but learning programming will actually help you with that. Yes, computers can be useful without programming, but even just understanding the way the software works from a technical standpoint will make you better at your job.

Most of Unix and GNU/Linux happens to be written in C and has C interfaces so it follows that a C compiler is extremely useful on those systems. Without a C compiler or any other development tools, a Unix system might as well be a black box like windows.
>>
>>42027613
Why use Linux when Macs run on Unix?
>>
>>42032473
>Find and Replace
The only programs that have find-and-replace functionality with actual regexes and shit (i.e. useful things) are the kind of programs that would mostly be used by people who can shell script anyway.
>>
>>42032464
Look Charles, it's O.K: you can stop posting now. You can go back to your friends...er, buddies on XBox Live and tell them how you totally trolled 4chan. You don't even need to tell them your new nickname is Charlie M. Chucklefuck III, they won't even KNOW!
>>
File: glorious.jpg (3KB, 345x146px) Image search: [Google]
glorious.jpg
3KB, 345x146px
>>42032497
>>
>>42032544
>You can't seem to visualize any workflow that is more complex than find and replace, but learning programming will actually help you with that

Sure I can, I use several. Once again, most people don't need regex. Most tech workers don't need regex. I don't memorize regex, I look it up when I need it. And it's rare that I need it.

>Most of Unix and GNU/Linux happens to be written in C and has C interfaces so it follows that a C compiler is extremely useful on those systems.

Sure, it is useful, if you need/want to write C.

>Without a C compiler or any other development tools, a Unix system might as well be a black box like windows.

Not having a C compiler or other development tool does not change the nature of the source of a Unix system. It just means you need to go through an extra step to develop.
>>
Am I the only want that gets extremely turned on when Monica comes on the screen?
>>
>>42032583
>Most tech workers don't need regex
Says who? You? If that's true then why does every programmer's text editor support at least basic regex?

>Sure, it is useful, if you need/want to write C.
>Not having a C compiler or other development tool does not change the nature of the source of a Unix system.

Who are you to say what users need or want? My point is that the nature of the system is that it's set up by design so that the only way to do certain things is to compile and/or write C, so having a C compiler is pretty useful.
>>
>>42032644
>Who are you to say what users need or want?

Who are _you_ to say it? That's what you've been doing all along.

>My point is that the nature of the system is that it's set up by design so that the only way to do certain things is to compile and/or write C
>certain things

Thank you, this is what I've been saying all along.

A compiler is useful and important and even critical for _certain things_. Not everything.

And there is a whole subset of things for which a C compiler won't help at all. Like 99.9% of web browsing.
>>
Last episode pissed me off. This teen wrecked my code! I can't fix it because I can't into svn or git or backups or copies on any of the 15 other computers in this room.
>>
>>42027613
>Why does everyone on this show use a fucking Mac?
The real question is why don't you use a mac?
>>
>>42032296
Hahaha. Gay.
>>
>>42032728
I know right? They must have some sort of version control...
>>
>>42032728
>>42033427
Boy, that would've been a real nail-biter!
>itt: /g/ fails to understand basic storytelling concepts like 'drama' and 'conflict'.
>>
>>42034426
I do understand it, but they could have done it without being completely inaccurate, surely?
>>
>>42032728
Yeah, I can barely program and that struck me as obviously inaccurate.
>>
The Satanist uses Ubuntu (sigh)
>>
>>42035233
There was an Satanist Ubuntu remic IIRC
Thread posts: 185
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.