[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK faggots: Let's talk politics. How would you change public

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: public-health.jpg (43KB, 660x360px) Image search: [Google]
public-health.jpg
43KB, 660x360px
OK faggots: Let's talk politics.

How would you change public health policy to make people fitter?

>inb4 screaming at fat people, shit don't work yo.
>>
Higher tax rate if you can't perform various physical activities due to fat.
>>
File: jfk.jpg (72KB, 624x807px) Image search: [Google]
jfk.jpg
72KB, 624x807px
World leaders need to impose it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ERk2yNL2Y
>>
establish a daily recommended value for DNP
>>
Mandatory SS at 18 years or after you are done with school
>>
>>35947071
educate children on nutrition in school. Basic stuff like calories in vs calories out and cost affective meals. Also, mandatory fucking PE. An hour every single schoolday. Extra hours after class for fatties. In my school, fatsos actually got out of PE instead of being made to do extra. It's absolutely appalling how tied the hands of sports faculty in western education is, they're too terrified to offend so kids are living their whole lives being depressed, obese sacks of shit.
>>35947086
It won't cut obesity, just raise money. People try taxing unhealthy habits all the time and it's been thoroughly proven not to reduce consumption.
>>
File: jfk-jackie-caroline-580.jpg (57KB, 580x376px) Image search: [Google]
jfk-jackie-caroline-580.jpg
57KB, 580x376px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnxrCcQQv0
>>
>>35947071
Regulate what people on government assistance can purchase for nutrition.

Eliminate their ability to buy soda & junk food with their aid money.
>>
File: 2 (1).jpg (37KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
2 (1).jpg
37KB, 418x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfzoFnOanUI
>>
>>35947109
Who gives a shit about the obese if they're paying for their own Healthcare through the tax then?
>>
>>35947150
Me because I'm not a disgusting individualist, I don't want my countrymen to needlessly suffer a reduced quality of life. Not to mention the tax raised goes nowhere near covering healthcare, unless you want to start charging 40 quid for a fucking chocolate bar.
>>
>>35947142
Wouldn't that only target a minority of society while the rest get fatter? And what about working people on benefits (food stamps in the US is an example, you actually have to have a job to get those). They'll just use their foodstamps for food but use any money they do have to get junk food, which is cheap.
>>
>>35947190
My hypothetical tax goes right to their Healthcare. If your "countrymen" are so stupid that they remain obese, why even care about them in the first place. They're 2nd class citizens and should be treated as such.
>>
Those with a BMI higher than 25 will be sent to camps to be gassed in the name of Jesus Christ. Fear of death will keep everyone thin.

Jesus is Lord.
>>
>>35947237
not even gonna bother with a bait pic
>>
>>35947200
If you can afford whatever food you want, I don't care what you look like.
It's the food stamp army with fat kids and riding a scooter through the grocery store loading up on ice cream, doritos & pepsi that need to change. If you are poor, you have no right to be fat too.
>>
>>35947218
Because we're all products of a collective culture and all of our actions affect the whole. We're getting to the point where the next generation won't outlive their parents. That's a nation I'm not comfortable living in and I intend to do whatever is in my power to stop it. Your need to look down and dehumanise others is sad.
>>
>>35947264
If somebody wants to SS + GOMAD their entire life and society isn't footing the bill, let them. There's no point to force people to be healthy if they don't want to.

Those resources would be better spent on helping people that actually want to be healthier.
>>
>>35947327
a lot of people do want to be healthy but they lack the knowledge to do so, become depressed and then can no longer find the motivation. If you educate and train children you stop them from ever getting fat. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
>>
Mandatory military service
>>
If you are over 300 lbs men in black uniforms should break down your door in the middle of the night and drag you off to a camp where you stay until you lose 100lbs.
>>
>>35947342
Nutrition is taught in schools,people can make their own decisions on health,and with economic incentives they can be persuaded to lose weight.

Nobody gave a shit about low mpg cars when their main benefit was being environmently friendly, people started buying them when gas became so expensive that fuel efficient cars made economic sense.

Either indirect or direct economic incentives is the best way to achieve social policy.
>>
A lot of it is due to ignorance, wilful or otherwise. Being able to cook anything outside of a boxed meal is a skill ducking no one has anymore. Also, no one really understands how much of something is too much due to growing up in a culture of overconsumption.

As for kids, school meals are absolute garbage and they have no structure at home, so their parents just give in to whining and make calorie bomb meals and don't put them into any activities or sports because they spent 500 bucks on an iPhone junior broke in a week.

You may not save the Hamplanets but you can cut off new ones.
>>
>>35947361
This. Everyone in the country that isn't mentally handicapped, including the physically handicapped. Everyone is trained equally as possible with individual allowances for wheelchair bound, blind, etc.
>>
Put a 20% tax, on top of GST or whatever, on junk food, soft drink, ect.

As >>35947109 said, implement useful health education and mandatory effective PE.
>>
>>35947447
Nutrition wasn't taught in my school (Scotland) or rather it was but it was meme shit about eating lots of vegetables. Nothing about calorie counting and weightloss.
>>
>>35947071
mandatory daily 30 minutes of high intensity exercise for children in school...ban junkfood and edu classes
>>
File: legalize_whaling.jpg (80KB, 600x344px) Image search: [Google]
legalize_whaling.jpg
80KB, 600x344px
Legalize whaling.
>>
>>35947462
>school food is garbage

This.
My kids school gives kids the options for breakfast & lunch. When I questioned why they would let a kindergarten child have the option to choose things like Reeses peanut butter cups, cheetos & sugary drinks they just looked dumbfounded.

When I was in school we didn't have options like that, I remember a kid brought a Coke from home one day and the lunch lady took it away from him.

Shit a fat person when I was young was 250 lbs, now I see more people over 350lbs in one day than I would see in an entire year back then.
>>
>>35947071
bring back jfk challenge, make it mandatory for all children without disabilities.
>>
> public health policy
Don't. It doesn't work. I'm a medic working on a public system, this shit is chaotic.

Also, fuck fatties, most of your health is based on personal choices. People expect doctors will fix everything with pills, it's ridiculous.
>>
>>35947071
I recently discovered that I could pay with food stamps at my local farmers market, pretty cool.
>>
Not much, except maybe allow airlines to charge based on passenger weight (with luggage).

Freedom must necessarily include the freedom to be wrong, which would include the freedom to make bad food choices. If people can't be bothered to educate themselves and show some personal responsibility, then they deserve to be fat, and to be publicly mocked for it.

I guess one change I might make then, on that note, would be to amend anti-discrimination verbiage (e.g."shall not discriminate on the basis of...") to *specifically* say that obesity doesn't count.
>>
File: pe.jpg (58KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
pe.jpg
58KB, 500x356px
>>35947071
Mandatory PE classes throughout primary and secondary education that force everyone to train on the level that varsity athletes do now.

Bring back the swim tests in college. I don't think college should have lots of mandatory PE, but nobody of sound body should get a degree if they can't swim a couple hundred meters.

Michelle Obama is sorta-kinda on the right track with regards to being a model of fitness, but ideally we would have a president and maybe some other leaders who make it more apparent that they take care of themselves physically. That's hard because those guys are so busy and usually old, though.

>>35947501
Actually enrolling them in the military is unnecessarily expensive in all kinds of ways and delays the development of people trying to train for jobs with a long learning curve. Actual tough PE and something like the boy scouts is really enough.
>>
>>35947071
>if you let your kid get over a certain BMI it will be taken away by child protective services
>teach kids in school stuff about nutrition, how the body works, what kcal are and the cons of being fat

The current generation is a lost cause but we need to protect their children.
>>
>>35947748
>That's hard because those guys are so busy and usually old, though.
Not to mention the fact they're stressed out 24/7 for years at a time. Check out any president's before and after pics. They're haggard after the fact.

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1872168,00.html
>>
>>35947071
>teach nutrition and food science from primary school.
>teach kids where food comes from and have all kids grow some food in school vegetable plots
>4 hours of organised sports and games per week
>early morning breakfast clubs in schools with healthy food
>After school cooking and sports clubs (shits rare in the UK)
>Instead of having Office Jones come to school to scare kids about drugs, have morbidly obese people and heavy smokers with lung cancer come to warn them

>higher taxation of alcohol and tobacco
>taxation of sugary foods and drinks
>taxes from each go specifically to the NHS to treat the associated problems

>fucking bring back park keepers! wtf
>make parks beautiful and safe again, get families out the house together and away from the tv

>decriminalise all drugs
>treat drug addictions as health issues not criminal issues
>completely legalise cannibis, regulate the industry and tax it heavily (same as alcohol and tobacco) for NHS

>invest large amounts of money in creating cycle networks around the country
>one day a week (sunday) in major cities, cars are banned from city centres. buses taxis and bikes only
>>
no health policy just a high tax on food

people eat less, lose weight poor people die

everyone wins
>>
File: 1429461173421.jpg (207KB, 921x960px) Image search: [Google]
1429461173421.jpg
207KB, 921x960px
>>35948298
Also
>legal interventions for parents who raise their children to be dangerously obese

>legal minimum amount of physical exercise class options for elderly residents in state run or private care homes (tai chi, light aerobics, light yoga etc)
>>
No sane leader wants a fit and strong population
>>
>>35948298

>>35948298

Lost me at your last point.
No relevance to health, just pointless punishment to car owners?
>>
Do what japan did.

If employers and local government go beyond a set amount of people who fail a mandated metric (japan ysed waist size) they get fined
>>
>>35947109
Taxing has been proven to be the most effective way to reduce consumption of smokes, alcohol, hydrocarbons, and any product or unhealthy habit it has been used on. Don't act like an authority if you don't have any real knowledge.
>>
>>35948298
>>treat drug addictions as health issues not criminal issues
>>completely legalise cannibis, regulate the industry and tax it heavily (same as alcohol and tobacco) for NHS

fuck, legalise most of it. I'm not a liberal person but absolutely the majority of drugs should be legalised and regulated (with exceptions like h and crack and meth), but ironically those sorts of drugs available through prescription arguably are far worse than a lot of class A's such as lsd, shrooms etc.
>>
>>35948546
mental health

Less pollution, noise reduction, freedom from stress. I want Sundays to be family-days. Kind of like a non-religious sabbath
>>
>>35947071

make meat illegal
>>
File: Screenshot (24).png (771KB, 1368x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (24).png
771KB, 1368x768px
>>35950751
>>35948546
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/03/pariss-first-attempt-at-car-free-day-brings-big-drop-in-air-and-noise-pollution
>>
File: 1444080423038.jpg (49KB, 678x678px) Image search: [Google]
1444080423038.jpg
49KB, 678x678px
>>35947071
First off remove the community rating that was implemented along with the ACA. Basically it prevents insurance companies from asking you basic questions about your health status and charging you an appropriate premium based on your risk. The only thing they can really ask now is your age, location, and smoking status. Gender, weight, and current health status have gone out the window.

So now you've potentially got a 400 pound tub o'lard being charged the same price for his premiums as a someone who exercises regularly and doesnt overdose daily on sugar. Most people would agree that good drivers be charged lower premiums because they cost less, why is it any different in the world of healthcare? For those unfairly burdened with pre-existing conditions you can re-establish high risk pools.

As it is right now it is incredibly unfair in terms of equity, and I dont even want to get into the economic complications due to moral hazard.
>>
>>35947748
It's mandatory in the great state of Illinois!
>>
>>35947237
Praise fit Jesus
>>
>>35951150
And still 30% of people there are obese
>>
All fatties go directly to jail if their still over weight by age 25. If they regain the weight before 40 we euthanize em
>>
File: 1340007286186.jpg (39KB, 610x350px) Image search: [Google]
1340007286186.jpg
39KB, 610x350px
Increase unhealthy foods cost by fat tax. Think like 500% @first year in effect, doubling after five years. - All fat tax money directly subsidises healthy foods.

As more and more people start choosing to buy healthy foods, welfare and medical costs will drop. This money saved will further go into subsidising healthy foods.

With this in effect- The government isn't losing or gaining cash, and fat foods are what they are supposed to be, treats.

Unfortunately fast food places would be included. They would be pushed to focus on alternative healthy menus.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.