[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help /fit/. First time posting, I'm a high functioning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: 20150820_150938.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150820_150938.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I need help /fit/.

First time posting, I'm a high functioning alcoholic but I drink every day. I smoke nearly a pack a day and I have no drive or motivation.

I'm skinny but not fit and I live in a filthy apartment.

I need help, what should I do?
>>
>what should I do
take a break from drinking and smoking
pick things up and put them down
get some fucking discipline and control your life
>>
>>35944331
Get help.
Go to an AA meeting.

Ultimately you need to detox, get off the booze and the cigs, and on a 6 day/week lifting+cardio regimen, but we all know you don't have the willpower and discipline to keep at it for even a month.
>>
Eat and lift not drink and smoke
>>
>>35944370
Fuck you I know I dont.

What can I do to actually have the willpower to make a major change?

I mean look at me I can't lift shit
>>
>>35944387
>What can I do to actually have the willpower to make a major change?

Get help. Go to a support group.
>>
>>35944395
This.
The social pressure will make you change
>>
Get your drinking and smoking in check. Trim your hair and your beard. Start walking daily. Once you've done those start looking at your diet and start lifting weights.

The only motivation you have is from within yourself. If you actually want to stop being a degenerate you will make it happen. Otherwise you will just half ass it, make no progress and wind up a fat sad 45 year old man with a failing liver and poor life.

You already know what you need to do. You're coming here because you don't want to just start doing it. That is why you will fail.

Get your shit together.
>>
>>35944424
You have no idea how hard this just hit me
>>
>>35944331

I thought you'd be doing pretty good from that Silicon Valley money.
>>
>>35944459
I don't get this joke sorry :(
>>
>>35944453
Because it's the truth you already know. Go to AA if you have to. They're gonna tell you that you need God to overcome this.

You are God. You control your actions and your life. You don't need to be saved by a higher power. You just need to commit to a goal. That means no going out to bars. Not hanging out with people that influence you to drink. You need to start taking the small steps to getting your life together.
>>
>>35944467
i think he meant that you look like tj miller from the show Silicon Valley, or that you look like a nerd working in the actual silicon valley
>>
>>35944476
I'm crying anon
>>
>>35944370
>Go to an AA meeting.
dont do that. AA is thinly veiled christian recruiting.

Keep a spreadsheet, and keep track of the following:
>how many cigarettes
>approx time of first cigarette
>how many drinks
>approx time of first drink.

obviously try to get less cigarettes and less drinks everyday, and keep pushing the times as far back as you can.
>>
>>35944496
Perfect advice for a guy like me.

Thank you so much anon
>>
>>35944496
>AA is thinly veiled christian recruiting.
It still works even if you cut out the Christian bullshit.
>>
>>35944514
its not even like the 16th most effective treatment program. one of the tennants is admit your powerlessness or something total betafag christian bullshit. no turn your own life around get good at guitar or something.
>>
I'm also high functioning m8. got over my cocaine addiction with choice some advice

every time you think about a cigarette or alcohol, make fun of yourself in your head. Call yourself a faggot bitch and laugh at how pathetic you are for honestly listening to your BODY about putting this expensive poison in you

it got really easy to quit when I realized how much of a joke of a person I was
>>
It really scares me that everyone is telling me that I will fail, but I must try.

I'm not going to drink until Friday this week. I think that's a start
>>
>>35944331
Everything starts with one choice. You made a choice to pick up your first drink, and you made a choice to light your first cigarette. Now, you need to make a similar choice to put down your last drink and put away your last pack of cigarettes. Don't fall for memes like AA, cold turkey is statistically just as effective and it's not a cult.
>>
>>35944598
nah m8 you won't fail but just remember that you're literal human trash if you even think about alcohol on Friday, let alone drink it

you're done with that shit because you're intelligent enough to know it's shit
>>
>>35944598
dude just find a guy that'll sell you weed and get a girl that'll smoke it with you

you're fucking forget about alcohol so quickly

just don't then get addicted to that new lifestyle
>>
Whether you think you can, or if you think you can't, you're right. Get tough, OP. Read the sticky.
>>
>>35944598
You will fail. You will fail many times in your life in many facets. You've got to want to improve your life.

Take small steps. Keep track of what you're consuming and taper it. If you've been drinking heavy for a long time daily just going cold turkey til Friday may not be the best way.
>>
I'm crying so much right now anons, I'm so glad I posted this
>>
btw you piece of shit the point of bashing yourself for being a dick chugging bitch when you think about alcohol or cigarettes is to retrain the feedback loop in your brain that currently says vice=good

if you actively HATE yourself and ridicule yourself in those moments (because you're utterly useless) your brain learns quick that vice=bad

it REALLY helps to replace the feedback loop with a good feedback loop because you're a GREAT AND USEFUL AMAZING PERSON when you use your time for good stuff

I replaced cocaine with learning to sing and even though I'm mediocre, I used my time to do something constructive and set up goals (to give myself that positive dopamine rush when overcoming them)
>>
>>35944331
>smoking
not even worth the effort, you don't have enough willpower to get anywhere
>>
>>35944331
You should kill yourself
>>
>>35944694
The biggest problem is I really WANT to drink. I really don't want to stop but know I need to.

Will I be able to drink at all anymore?
>>
>>35944716
If I was gonna do that I would have done it 4 months ago when me and my gf of 7 years broke up.

I thought I was going to marry her.
>>
>>35944726
Lmao get c u c k e d faggot
>>
File: lPViUS3.jpg (151KB, 1165x914px) Image search: [Google]
lPViUS3.jpg
151KB, 1165x914px
>>35944726
>>
>>35944733
Yeah it sucked.
Worst thing to ever happen in my life.
>>
>>35944733
>c u C K e d
>>35944759
>louie C K
just now clicked with me what the louie ck cuck meme is all about. I thought it was just random memeing
>>
>>35944331
I thought you were wearing a face mask i have one that looks just like you
>>
>>35944772
dude you'll be fine just get some weed and psychedelics, bang some random tinder sluts drink lots of wwater, forget all about alcohol cigarettes.
>>
>>35944808
Really? Who would want that? Lol
>>
>>35944824
I have a lot of weed consistantly, I should just sub alcohol for it instead of doing both...
>>
>>35944717
nah m8 this is your first moment RIGHT now

You don't want to drink. Your mind is telling you that drinking is good but you just TOLD us drinking is bad. You KNOW it's bad. You're more intelligent than a dopaminergic feedback loop in your brain so tell it to fuck off and realize that you either have real goals and life or WANT real goals in life

You won't be able to drink because that feedback loop doesn't leave. The literature has already shown that it'll stay with you for decades. You can't touch alcohol again because you'll immediately slip back. You did the damage and now you gotta live with it.

I can never touch cocaine again and it honestly sometimes sucks because it really DID help with productivity, but I partied too hard with it and I know if I use it one more time then I'll use it two more times and three more times and I'll fuck my life all over again

since I quit cocaine I've sculpted my body into something I'm proud of, moved into a manager position at my job, and have held down a relationship with a great woman for longer than I could've imagined (longest relationship before was 3 weeks in college)

I know I'm not the same as other people and my goals don't fit the same as other people but I'm just so much HAPPIER knowing I'm accomplishing things I set out to do rather than systematically destroying my body and telling myself I liked it
>>
>>35944717
Probably not. Most people that have it bad can't really do the whole drink on special occasion thing. It slips into things being more special than they are to excuse drinking. To I'll drink only on weekends. To I'll only have one beer a night. To waking up hungover and drinking a strong glass of vodka and oj while the coffee brews before you show up late to work again.
>>
>>35944845
>>35944852
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk
>>
>>35944879
say it out loud right now anon
look in the mirror

"you're fucking useless"

then laugh at yourself
like legit laugh like the bullies laugh at the playground

but fucking force it and fucking sell it to yourself

if you want to drink, you're useless
you're fucking useless
>>
>>35944917
Fuck I'm so fucked.

I should probably stop doing nothing but playing video games all day and drinking. I know I must.

Thank you anon, you're good people
>>
File: 1451988801811.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451988801811.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>35944331

Sup OP,

I'm a recovering alcoholic myself, also fighting an addiction to weed and cigarettes. I've been clean for 2 weeks now, and already feeling much, MUCH better.

What should you do? Well, the answer is pretty fucking easy, you need to quit that shit.
Alcohol is fucking terrible... it affects both your body and your mind. I used to wake up in the morning hungover, feeling suicidal. Then I would fall back to sleep and remain in bed as long as possible. I quit because I was sick and tired... of being sick and tired. My appartment looked like shit and I never brought girls over because it was downright filthy.

You need to understand that you get drunk because you want to escape reality, or past memories. You need to realize that wherever you may be in your life right now, you are responsible for that. Your current situation is a result of your past choices and actions, and if you want to turn things over, you can't wait for something to happen, you need to act and set up a plan.

It's gonna sound cheesy, but motivational videos really helped me (and still do when I have cravings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75jiNd6bfwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_dUxTg33I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0

about quitting smoking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXNSDqaaMKY

Good luck OP, I hope you find the strenght to change and improve yourself.

PS: cigarettes will be the hardes to quit. I suggest you fix your addiction to alcohol 1st. The first 3 evenings sobers are gonna suck, but after that the cravings go away quickly. Waking up fresh in the morning and feeling happier is good to nice, you won't want to drink anymore.

Also: join a gym. This will help with your addictions and overall well-being.
>>
>>35944996
I love you anon
>>
hey man.

I would go to A.A.

even if it doesn't stick there is some good in there. mainly when you hear other people talk about how fucked up there lives are or have been....kinda puts it in perspective.

it did for me anyway. I'm 28 and have been sober for 2 months. it's not much but it's the longest I've gone since I was 16. I was high functioning for a long time until I just wasnt.

anyway you are still at a point where you can turn your life around. I finally stopped cause I knew I could be better then I am. maybe you can too.

also I know it's stupid and blah blah, but one day at a time
>>
>>35944966
that was what I did too

I replaced my Friday/Saturday night partying with the gym

I made an obligation to be there EVERY Friday or Saturday except for legitimate other occasions eg Christmas

it really helps because lifting has its own addictive dopaminergic effect so you're not just trying to quit an addiction but replacing it

I stopped video games, too, because they weren't productive. Kind of sad because they were my identity from childhood until 25 and I still have a collection of almost 3000 games

You don't need to quit them because everyone needs relaxation time, but pick up other hobbies at the same time
>>
>>35944828
To scare someone with a mask
>>
>>35945053
I laughed, nice burn anon
>>
>>35945038
I play for at least 8 hours a day when I play. Fuck I'm a loser when I really think about it.
>>
>>35945092
yeah man I was the same, I remember being smug when a survey asked how much I played a week and the highest option was only 40+ hours

nothing wrong with video games but they really can go over the top

MMOs were my vice
>>
The thing that's scaring me the most is I won't be able to drink AT ALL anymore. Fuck I don't know if I can do it, I don't know if I WANT to do it. I'm only 22!
>>
>>35945135
one day at a time. don't get ahead of yourself. you are an alcoholic loser today. focus on changing that today.....today
>>
>>35945135
You have to want it or it will never happen. You're a fucking loser right now. You will never not be one until you better yourself. That means not drinking. That's life.
>>
>>35944395
>>35944387
Listen to this op. If you can't hold yourself accountable for your decisions find other people who will. At the end of the day you are the only one who has a say in what you do. Relying on a miraculous inner motivational discovery is the wrong way to approach this.
>>
>>35945377
I half agree with this and half don't. Having other people to hold you responsible works for a little. Then it's a crush. He has to do this himself. Nobody can monitor him 24/7 to force him not to drink. And even if they did once they leave he will revert back. Getting support is important. But it all has to come from himself. There's nobody else. Anyone who says they cannot do it themselves alone truly does not believe in themselves and doesn't want it bad enough. Speaking as someone with a mental illness at the end of the day I have to want to do the things that improve my life. Sure the pills and the doctors can help give a push but they don't do shit if I do nothing to better my own life.

Take the reigns in your hand OP. My best friend is basically withering away due to alcohol and I've gotten to where we've almost physically fought due to it. I can't help him unless he wants to help himself. And sadly he doesn't. Don't be like that.
>>
Stop letting a tiny part of your brain control your life. You've had the sapience to know you need to change, so accept that you're going to do it now before things get worse.

Think about what your ancestors had to do to get you here. They were, by necessity, successful. Thousands of years of warriors, conquerors, businessmen, and ladies' men put their entire livelihood towards you existing. They're looking down on you now and seeing a boy in his prime going down the opposite path. They're disgusted with what you're doing and who you've become. They're looking at you as another failed branch of their dwindling efforts. They've seen too many men continue on and get to the point of no return. Too many men who can't get back up.

You've taken a glimpse, today, at what you're life could be if you quit. The life that so many men died for. Don't take that for granted. They're depending on you to depend on yourself, so nut up and be a man your descendants will tell stories of.
>>
Thanks so much for the encouragement guys, I'll do a followup post one of these days.

I hope I make it
>>
File: Sean-Connery-Zardoz.jpg (681KB, 960x1247px) Image search: [Google]
Sean-Connery-Zardoz.jpg
681KB, 960x1247px
I used to be an alcoholic. It is easy to quit. The problem is YOU DONT REALLY WANT TO. Once the actual decision is made and you know deep down it's the path you want to take, you will take it, and you will fo whatever it takes to get to where you want to be.

It's all up to you. So instead of coming to this place and whining about all your problems, figure out your shit, then DO IT.

You have the willpower, not the motivation.

Some other dude is boning your ex because you couldn't man up and take care of yourself. You have to do this or your life will always be shit.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>35946023
Pic totally related fight against Zardoz
>>
>>35946023
I KNOW that's my problem.

It's a hard one to fix. I don't want to get better but I know I have to, and I will try
>>
>>35945135
nigga you weren't drinking before you knew what alcohol was (or even got hooked on it) just fine. put it out of your mind and you'll be fine.
>>
Remember this thread OP, every time you are about to have a moment of weakness.
>>
throw away all alcohol, weed, and other drugs.

Get a gym membership.

Go do 6 100 yard sprints on your local grass field tonight.

Start going to the gym doing Starting Strength, or something like it.

Never buy cigarettes again.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.