[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you guys read the studies that say it's essentially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 18

File: 2123123123.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
2123123123.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
Have you guys read the studies that say it's essentially impossible to lose weight and keep it off?

I read these and feel unbelievably discouraged, especially since I once lost nearly 70 pounds and since gained it all back.

Is it bullshit /fit?
>>
You had willpower then lost it.

The great mistake people make is thinking they are ever done "dieting". That you can reach your goal weight then go back to eating how you did to start.

It doesn't work that way.
>>
Have only one cheat day per month. Sticky with your diet until the day it stops being miserable and you feel anxious breaking from it. Also learn basic cooking techniques so it tastes less shit.
>>
Lots of people lose weight and keep it off. Including myself.

I'm finding it significantly harder to put muscle on than I did to lose the fat.

Overhauling your diet is a permanent thing.
>>
No guys, seriously, read this:

>>http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-research-confirms-long-term-weight-loss-almost-impossible-1.2663585

It's ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight and keep it off.
>>
>>35784657
So did I. Those studies are for people who is dieting for a limited time, then going back to eating like a fucking pig. Understand that if you change your lifestyle you will keep the weight off. "Dieting" won't help you keep it off, only a lifestyle change will.
>>
>>35784689
Don't they say the same thing about smoking?
>>
>>35784689
It's also almost impossible to make a lot of money, leading a meaningful life, or even not die from malaria. If you're going to use social proof and statistics as anything other than entertainment, you might as well off your self now, life isn't going to get any easier.
>>
>>35784586
Statistically, yes, those studies are right, it's pretty improbable to not gain the weight back in the near future.

However, I think it's fucking stupid to let statistics decide who you are. You are not the expectation value of a statistic. You are you, and you have all the power over what happens in your life or not. It's all in your hands.
>>
>>35784723

All that study does is confirm that the current state of mankind has next to no discipline.

Losing weight and keeping it off is easy. You just have to realize that the dietary changes that lost the weight are permanent and will keep the weight off.

You take control of yourself. It is you who decides what gets put in your mouth.

You can do this.
>>
File: 1277443190018.png (2KB, 209x215px) Image search: [Google]
1277443190018.png
2KB, 209x215px
>>35784776
meant to quote >>35784689
>>
>>35784734
Yes, about 95% of all people attempting to quit smoking don't make it for more than a year.
The premise of those numbers is flawed for the same reason it is flawed in those weight loss studies: It doesn't take into account that most people who want to quit (or lose weight) don't attempt it once, but literally dozens of times.

If you really want to lose weight and keep it off, or quit smoking, you'll keep trying until you succeed. Even if you failed 20 times before.

I know, I successfully quit smoking on roughly my 40th attempt.
>>
>>35784798
People use the fact that few people lose weight and keep it off as an excuse to not try.

If that were a valid point, we wouldn't bother with tell people to quit smoking.
>>
>>35784689
Almost impossible = possible
Also, the study makes a terrible methodological choice by considering that losing weight permanently is "almost impossible" because empirical data shows most people can't do it. Just because 95% of people do not have the willpower and patience to permanently change their diet to lose weight and not regain it does not mean it's physiologically almost impossible to lose weight and not regain it.
>>
>>35784689
If you want to be on the wrong side of the statistics, just keep reading them.

Whenever you think about going to the gym or sticking to a diet, just pull up one of these useless news pieces, tell yourself you have no power or agency, and I promise it'll come true.
>>
was a chubby kid until middle school. Once I was selfaware enough I realized that not being fat is a huge advantage in life and just started eating less.

I mean I can't understand how people can justify getting fat and staying fat
>>
>>35784843
this.
i see so many who seem convinced that change is not possible (whether it's concerning social status, the body, the mind, bad habits) and just claim that they have accepted these things as given. and while that might be fine and all for them i think it's spiritual poison to anyone who is interested in change of any kind but just starting out. i don't want to know how many people have gotten discouraged in their efforts because of this type of thinking.
>>
File: 23423412.jpg (68KB, 575x575px) Image search: [Google]
23423412.jpg
68KB, 575x575px
This might be the most motivating thread of all time based on these replies.

The smoking comparison seems spot on.

My brother smoked for nine years and quit... It's been 15 years and he has zero desire to light up.
>>
>>35784586
So what is happening ther is this:
>You are fat, so your base metabolic rate is high enough that you can eat a lot of food and not gain weight that fast
>You decide to lose weight, so you go to a nutritionist and get a diet that will make you lose weight (basically a calorie deficient diet of any variation)
>You lose some weight (or esle yo don't make it to the study)
>Once you lose said weight, you fail to understand that the amount of energy your body wastes at rest is lower because you have a smaller body
>You have a tendency to overeat, and you do so and gain back weight
Basically fat fucks are not understanding that the stationary state for their new body is different from the one for the old body. Temporary diets produce temporary changes in weight, and permanent lifestyle changes will produce permanent changes in your body.
This is because fat ppl have an overeating habit (be it genetic or simply a result of poor upbringing, that does not matter here), which is what made them into fat fucks in the first place. I's a self fulfilling prophecy.
If you can understand this, you can lose weight. Be the outlier. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>35784689
ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE

based on percentage of people succeeding

comparing yourself to other people

number 1 sign of not making it
>>
>>35784586
those studies mean that most people are stupid fucking retarded fat fucks who go into crash diets,lose a shitton of weight and then go back into eating 3 pizzas per day like they used to. of course they will gain it all back. fitness is a way of life, not a diet.
>>
>>35784689
Fatties using this as an excuse is a self fulfilled prophecy, disgusting.
>>
File: 1451975972422.jpg (158KB, 1024x533px) Image search: [Google]
1451975972422.jpg
158KB, 1024x533px
>>35784586
Being fit is a lifestyle choice, not a 6 month cycle
>>
Anyone here lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off for over 5 years?
>>
>>35784689

t. Been 5 years since I was fat.

Still skinny skelly.
>>
>>35784798

Couldn't that be biased though. I quit smoking cold turkey 2 years ago (after a pack each day for 7 years) and am still doing fine. While I have a friend that has quit about 10 times in the last 2 years.
>>
>>35785020
It must suck to be hired to be the guy in the right picture.
>>
>>35785185
Ten years, and currently putting on muscle.
>>
>>35784586
It's true. Not for the reason you might think though. I study medicine so I do have som qualification to say this.

It's hard to keep weight off because whether we like the idea or not our behaviors are heavily genetically influenced. People will slip back into habits that made them fat because they are hardwired like that. When you realize there's a biologic basis for everything you give up on the idea of free will.
>>
File: recovering fatty.jpg (30KB, 777x454px) Image search: [Google]
recovering fatty.jpg
30KB, 777x454px
Tomorrow marks one year for me
I would like to keep that fat off forever and not put it all back on

>5'8'' manlet
>>
I like this thread. Everyone agrees and has a positive contribution to make.
>tfw we are all gonna make it
>>
>>35785398
This is what I'm so scared of.

It's all biology and physics... we don't make decisions for ourselves.
>>
>>35784586
Diets don't fail, people fail.
>>
>>35785398
I'm
>>35785418
and you're right
Whenever I slip up on my diet I will keep slipping for about 3 days
The holidays were miserable because of this

I am afraid one day I will say fuck this and just keep eating
Like a lot of people say
I replaced one food problem with another
>>
>>35784689
>uncle is md ENT and phd in nutrition
>rants at every holiday about nutrition being bad science

Nutritionists and dieticians used studies like this to support the idea high dietary cholesterol=> high cholsterol for DECADES. The field is fundamentally flawed in their research methods.

If you want real research, look for dieticians who specialize in medical feeding, behavioral psychologists who deal with self control, and mds who deal with prader willi and other food disorders.
I'd rather have 10 small, non-random studies that show large bl tx DV changes than 1000 large N studies. Epidemiological studies for diet is not valid.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (90KB, 908x299px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
90KB, 908x299px
I have personally seen this happen to me, I'm sick and tired of gaining the weight back.

Big bumps of overweightness returning were meeting my gf who cooks really well and getting comfortable in the relationship, but then realised I was a fat fuck again, then lost it, then regained, now losing it again.

It's an endless struggle, but this time I intend to learn from the past and just keep it the fuck down.
>>
>>35785020
Saved this pic
>>
>>35784689
Its almost impossible to get fit,get a doctors diploma and be wealthy and here I am.
You need to leave humanity behind and become a superior being,let the mediocre masses lag behind.
>>
Basically, however you were eating when you were successfully losing weight, that's pretty much how a normal human being is supposed to eat, all the time. There is no "I did it, I reached my goal".
>>
File: fatties_gonna_fat.png (440KB, 921x741px) Image search: [Google]
fatties_gonna_fat.png
440KB, 921x741px
>Have you guys read the studies that say it's essentially impossible to quit smoking and keep smoke-free?
HEALTH AT EVERY PACK-LEVEL
>>
>>35784689
Bogus studies are just as good as momscience anon. If you ever had any scientists in your social circle, you'd know that. Nutrition is one of the most unreliable studies of all, its heavily tempered by a lot of big industries, hell people still don't know how to lose weight till this day and time. Some people don't even believe in the simple math of being in a caloric deficit. There are some fatties out there who sell the "scientific" theory that you are born with a set body and you can't change that. Don't be naive.

Get used to that sort of bullshit, it literally happens every week.
>>
>>35785518
While this may be true, in a practical sense you can change things that, as a secondary result, change you in the way you want. Lets say that you like soccer, and you set a goal "to get picked to the local team", no time limit. You go and practice, and it's not even work, it's fun and socializing and letting off steam. One or two years pass and you've lost over 50 pounds while never setting out to do it. Even if you don't make the team, you got your weight loss by shifting objectives a bit.
>>
>>35784907
Because a lot of parents fail at teaching their kids that you can achieve almost anything you want if you work hard enough. I am glad my dad taught me that. And honestly no matter what it is being in the top 5% of the population is easy as fuck to achieve. I mean serious lifting for a year already puts you in the top 5% strengthwise. If you consider the max bench in the entire lifetime you would be in the top 1% of all males with a 300lb bench. https://www.t-nation.com/training/is-a-300-pound-bench-rare

I know t-nation is kinda shit but you get the idea. I dont know how anybody can go through life not wanting to be in the top 5% of any field. I mean seriously you can be in the top 1-5% of literally any field if you want to and mostly you will only need 1-3years to do it.
>>
>>35784689
This is honest to God propaganda to get us to accept that fat and weakness is inevitable, making those influenced easier to control.
>>
There's a reason obesity is defined as a chronic illness; you constantly need to be treating it. Make changes in your life that you know you can keep up. Make being healthy a habit. If you fucking despise broccoli, don't promise yourself to eat broccoli with every meal, because you won't. Don't do a juice fast for a month and expect that weight to stay off; you're not sustaining your treatment.
Health is a lifelong dedication, and while it's important to look at statistics and be reasonable, there are two sides to the statistic. That article says that only 5% successfully keep the weight off. Strive to make yourself a part of that 5%, fuck the other 95%. They don't have the drive you do, or the knowledge you do. If you want it, go get it. You're gonna make it
>>
>>35784951
All the fatties need to READ THE FUCKING STICKY. I've actually shared the sticky with several people I know. It's the single best article I've ever read.
>>
>>35784689
Because fatties have little self-control. How do you think they got fat in the first place?
>>
>>35784689
>study reveals most people lack willpower to sustain a lifestyle change for their betterment

It's a study that reveals people make excuses, and now this is used as an excuse.
Wonderful.
>>
>>35784951
what most people dont get is that you can look vastly different depending on your bf%. I was always on the bigger side, between healthy and overweight range, and that might very well be my "setpoint" if you want to use fatty language. BUT by changing my lifestyle I vastly reduced my bf% and although I am only a bit lighter than I was I look and feel WAY better.

Honestly even if you wanna be a big guy or want to eat like one building muscle also makes you look and feel better. Imo weight is not as important as a lot of people think.
>>
>>35785601
if you want any advice for me the most important part of staying lean is sport. whenever I exercise my body just feels better all around and I dont even want or need unhealthy shit. If I am injured or sick and cant train for a week I feel fat, lazy and will most definitely cheat on my diet.

I think a lot of it is psychological and the reason we gain it back is simply the lack of exercise atleast for me personally it is. Not because it burns kcal but because it makes you feel and think differently. You dont need the Dopamine from eating choclate - you already got that rush in the gym.
>>
>>35786150
>>35786150
Yeah, I think what makes me gain weight all over again is to stop measuring. Every time I gain weight is because I haven't weighed myself in that time frame and subconsciously avoid to.

Had a small relapse on December, went on holidays for christmas and such, but weighing myself all throughout that made me realise I was bullshitting again and helped me get back on track.
>>
>>35784586

Shit-tier "studies".
>>
>>35784586
I lost 80lb in 8 months 3 years ago and have kept it off easily. Hell I even stopped exercising and lifting for 6 months and still didn't put as much as a lb back on, i've had visible abs every day since I reached my bf% goal. What do you think is more likely - that I am a fucking magician or that the people that article refers to are shit weak?
>>
>>35785398
This is stupid. So tasty things taste tastier to fatasses, and maybe always will. They will have a harder time in aggregate resisting heaps of shit food, so in aggregate they will put the weight back on.

When looking at the individual it is an issue of free will. An individual can recognize their craving and overcome them. Populations don't have free will like individuals do, which is why cohort studies can reveal that former fatasses with the fatass gene are more likely to become fatasses again. Individual fatasses can make their own choice, that choice just may be more difficulty than non-fatasses following through.
>>
Does anyone else kinda enjoy the hungry feeling in your stomach when you cut?
Shows that it's working.
>>
File: 1447033827505.png (9KB, 411x387px) Image search: [Google]
1447033827505.png
9KB, 411x387px
whats harder, a fat guy trying to get thin or a thin guy trying to get big?
>>
File: 1241355112.jpg (722KB, 1200x902px) Image search: [Google]
1241355112.jpg
722KB, 1200x902px
>>35784689

instead of saying the methods people use are pointless they just claim its impossible to maintain weightloss

kek
>>
What the hell do you expect? You know healthy people are a tiny minority in Murica right now? People don't have a clue how health and weight really work. Macros, nutrients, vitamins, it might as well be japanese to the average american.

The statistics for people who really change their lifestyle and educate themselves about health and fitness is probably a lot better.
>>
>>35786883
thin guy trying to get big is harder, im a fatty myself and its simply because i eat too much
>>
>>35786866
You'll grow out of it, you little masochist :)

Now that I have a good physique Id rather cut longer but more comfortably
>>
>>35786969
yeah thin guys are pretty much fucked when it comes to gains, genetics made them basically into women
>>
>>35784586
>impossible to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you retarded?How does that even make sense??!?Have you never seen fat people become skinny/fit and stay like that their whole life?Is that a bait?
>studies
Considering all these fat acceptance activists its probably to make fat people feel good for themselves
>>
>>35786883
First of all what an idiotic question.
Of course a fat guy trying to lose weight is harder. That requires a preventive measure which needs ridiculous willpower.
Sticking more food in your mouth is not difficult. Just eat more of what you like.
>>
>>35784586
all you need to do is eat less
all you need to do is quit smoking
all you need to do is stop shooting heroin
all you need to do is quit being a pussy nigger cunt faggot
>>
Lost 90 at one point I've put 30 of it back on but I'm on my way back down again. Actually I've chilled with the extra 30 for a while now so at least I didn't gain it all back I guess. Winter really kicks my ass
>>
What about the studies that say willpower is a finite resource?

>>http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx
>>
>>35784798
Changing any behavior requires willpower and motivation. After about three days, your body is nicotine free and then all craving is psychological. However, people treat it as a coping method, so whenever they need to cope with something, cigarettes are the go-to. The same goes with food: If you treat eating as a comfort, you'll always want to be comfortable so you'll always put the weight back on.
I smoked consistently my whole junior and senior year in high school, then I decided to quit on graduation day and never touched a cigarette again. It's been 6 years and I have no interest in going back.
>>
>>35787902

makes perfect sense, what did you think it was an infinite resource?
>>
File: rsface.jpg (5KB, 239x250px) Image search: [Google]
rsface.jpg
5KB, 239x250px
>>35784586
I will never understand this, putting on muscle is so much harder than just getting thin. Bulking up requires you to put large amounts of effort into making sure you eat enough and do workouts, as apose to losing weight where you literally just don't eat. You don't have to do anything, in fact it's doing less things to get thinner?
>>
>>35784689
You should kill yourself.

Almost impossible because all fat fucks have no discipline and are the shit of society. Only the ones that are truly sick of it get out.
>>
>>35784689
This: >>35786038
They're not just measuring the average PERSON. They're examining the average FATASS and discovering that most of them have shit self-control compared to a normal person. BIG FUCKING SURPRISE THERE, MILTON.

What you need to do is determine to become a normal person. Not just physicall. You have to get mentally /fit/. I guarantee you: those 5% who pull it off are the sum total of guys who decided this. You don't fail if you have the right attitude and stick with it.
>>
I lost about 50 lbs from 2008-2009. I have sinced gained about 15 lbs back, but all through lifting. I have a lower body fat percentage than when I skinny.

It can be done.
>>
>>35784586
I don't believe that you read the studies, because if you did you'd have read the Discussion sections that mentions possible reasons for the results you would realise that fatties stay fat because they ask dedication.
>>
>>35784586
Fuck you OP. Every time I see this image in the catalogue I stop and just stare for at least 15 seconds.
>>
>>35789168
>You don't have to do anything, in fact it's doing less things to get thinner?

This argument is so stupid.

>How is fighting cancer hard? All you do is lay in a bed and let the doctors do their shit, you're doing nothing.
>>
>>35784931
Where'd you get this pic? I know this girl lol
>>
>>35784689
>only 5%
Smaller by The day!!
>>
File: 1408115347327.jpg (20KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
1408115347327.jpg
20KB, 211x246px
diet and exercise have to be the weirdest fields on the planet.
in what other area of life is so much wrong information allowed to stand? You just make something up, write a book and hope people repeat it. Its utterly ridicolous.

also
>people acting like losing weight takes willpower, takes top 5% willpower.
top kek, its not hard and almost everyone can do it. the reason why they fail is not actually knowing about calories in calories out.
>>
>>35784586
>lose weight
>get shredded
>maintenance kcal amount remains the same
>but now you look actually good while eating as much as before
>you also acquire a hobby, prolong and improve your life and may get hit on by chicks more
Simple, really, just don't overthink it.
>>
>>35785020
>An apple
Should have been a piece of unseasoned/unflavored chicken or oats.
>>
>>35784689
I guess it's also impossible to participate in the Olympics.

Even more impossible to win the Olympics. Frankly I don't see why they even bother to show up and compete when so the odds of winning are so small.
>>
>>35784689
So they take people with bad enough willpower to get in a shitty situation and 95% don't change. Surprise.
>>
>>35793279
Truth.
Spirituality is another one.
>>
>>35784586
No. Dieting is a BS stop gap, but if you powerlift 3x a week you will not kill/ hate yourself, lose weight, keep it off, and allow yourself some leeway to eat shitty due to your boosted metabolic rate.
>>
>>35784586
There is some truth to it, however that's because everybody is doing it wrong when they try to lose weight.
Nobody wants to make sustainable lifestyle changes. Everybody wants to crash diet.

It's really that fucking simple. If you lose weight through some method that you can't imagine yourself using for the rest of your life, then you WILL return to old habits. And old habits got you fat and will get you fat again.

It's not even debatable, it's just how things are. Yet nobody wants to hear it. Everybody just wants to run their low carb 2k calorie deficit soup starvation get-ripped-in-4-weeks shit diet.
>>
>>35784746
Underrated post
>>
>>35786150
I was reading in New Scientist the other day there was an experiment showing a link between exercise (specifically HIIT) and reduced cravings and reduced brain activity in response to addictive stimuli (like seeing a cigarette if you're a smoker).
>>
>>35786753
http://www.webmd.com/diet/20081016/obese-enjoy-food-less-and-less

results of brain scans have shown a tendency for the obese to expect to enjoy food more, but actually enjoy it less.

I'm a little skeptical that the "reward centres" are actually the reward centres, though. If they're still treating dopamine as if it mediates reward then the whole study needs to be rethought.
>>
>>35786883
what's harder, burning energy from fat instead of from food or having to build muscle?

building muscle requires rest, and energy put into it - burning fat releases energy, all it requires in is will-power.
>>
File: tried_nothing.png (386KB, 640x484px) Image search: [Google]
tried_nothing.png
386KB, 640x484px
>>35786906
>>
>>35787029
every time a "hard-gainer" is asked what they eat, they always say "I eat so much" and then when they actually list it it's hardly anything.
>>
>>35787151
they aren't being asked to quit, though - only to scale it back and they don't even have to scale it back that far in most cases.
>>
>>35793279
>in what other area of life is so much wrong information allowed to stand?
many areas, this is simply the only one you've researched enough to see it.
>>
>>35793288
>implying healthy people eat meat let alone carbs
>>
File: obeseinamerica.gif (26KB, 860x509px) Image search: [Google]
obeseinamerica.gif
26KB, 860x509px
this study is bullshit. was obesity a problem 40 yers ago? if 30% of the country is just genetically predisposed to being obese and there's nothing anyone can do, then where did those genes come from? if the fault of obesity lies at the feet of genes, and genes are inherited, then where the fuck was the fat gene until about 30 years ago? did it just spring up?

do not buy this genetics load of shit for even a minute. fat acceptance is about to hit the mainstream like a rocket sled on rails and they're pumping up their "science" now to support this self-destructive social cause.
>>
>>35793323
maybe they are both areas which are difficult to test due to the complexity involved - either that or success in either field isn't tied to specific results like it is in physics or engineering (either the bridge stays up or not).
>>
>>35793397
so what is the version of this for under-eaters? if anything adding muscle seems to make things worse over time if you're an under-eater.
>>
>>35793781
it isn't individual will-power which changed in that time either, though - it's the type of food supply which changed most noticeably, I think.
>>
>>35784689
lol it's 100% guaranteed that you can lose weight and keep it off by just E A T I N G _ L E S S.

The reason people "fail" is because they go back to old habits. And now if we were to talk about permanent habit changes... that's where it gets hard. It's very hard for you to change habits that were forged over multiple decades.

But it's kind of like this: if you want to succeed and you put in the effort, it might be hard for the rest of your life... but you can't fail.

Getting to normal weight is not like becoming the world's top athlete or something. You don't have to be the best, you just have to try more often than not.
>>
>>35784586
>it's essentially impossible to lose weight and keep it off
That's a very superficial interpretation.
You should look at the subpopulations, but nobody studies those because it would tell people how to diet down and actually lose the weight for good.

Protip: stay on /fit/ for support, follow the sticky. You won't gain the weight back, you're in the right subpopulation here.
>>
i lost 75lbs 6 years ago and my weight has only fluctuated about 20lbs up then back down.

if you can't keep your weight off you don't want it off.
>>
>>35784689
>clickbait claims of science
>no source
Fucking hell, this is why common nutrition and fitness is such utter shit.
>>
Once you've been a fatty at some level you will always have that impulse to gorge yourself and get fat. It just becomes easier to control with routine and discipline.

That's why there's always numerous fat hate thread going on /fit/ all over 100 posts. People here are constantly reminding themselves how much they hated being fat.
>>
>>35784586
>Is it bullshit /fit?
You are asking a board full of autists and OCD schizos how neurotypical people act.

Basically: Yes, diets don't work. IF you are neurotypical (ie normal). Crazy people (ie anorexics, autists, /fit/) have no trouble to completely fuck themselves over by crash dieting forever.
>>
>>35794117
And to add:
/fit/'s solution to the problem is cutting your calories, then cutting even more as you slowly lose weight. Let's just ignore the fact that cutting calories doesn't work unless you go ridiculously hard (which is owed to the fact that nobody can tell you how many calories you actually burn or eat unless you live in a lab 24/7), you will, after some years, reach the point where morsels of food will turn you into a fat sow.

And that is when /fit/ usually starts roiding.
>>
My take on this (from a fatass) is that dieting typically doesn't work for most people. When I was 40 lbs over weight (which put me into obese range for my height, yes manlet) I tried every diet out there and would stay with it for a few weeks here and there but ultimately my willpower gave out, i resumed old eating habits.

I got a job working from home, making slightly more money then I was, but i no longer had a 60 minute commute to work. Over 3 years I gained an additional 50 lbs, making me 90 lbs over weight. I didn't get fat eating salads and exercising. I got fat from fast food and extreme sedentary lifestyle, plain and simple. I will admit because weight gain is gradual and you see yourself everyday, I didn't notice the changes since i wasn't weighing myself. After a vacation in which I felt tired all the time (sleep apnea) and had a hard time doing certain things like walking around and seeing some of the sites I wanted to, I came home and decided to lose weight. Stepping on the scale for the first time in several yeras I was fucking shocked, I thought I might be 10, maybe even 20 lbs heavier then before, but I was 50 lbs.

My initial reaction was to jump into whatever latest diet I could find. Instead I listed why all my previous attempts failed and it always came back to the same thing. Eventually I slipped back into old habits.

So I changed my habits. I cut soda first, still ate fast food, but now I drunk only water and black tea/coffee. Then I started cooking dinner everyday. Other meal was still fast food. Then I started just making double portions of dinner and had that for lunch the next day. I made these changes over 3 months and I lost 25 lbs. Since then (2 more months) i've added weight lifting 3 times a week and lost an additional 15 lbs.

Now, I don't crave soda. I don't bitch about not having time to cook. My freezer and fridge are stocked with real food. Lifestyle changes are the only way to keep weight off. Not diets.
>>
>>35794117
>>35794133
It actually goes both ways, retard. The more you get for, the more you have to eat to maintain it.

It doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to weight yourself every day and adapt. You don't have to eat close to nothing to be NORMAL.

Though I guess that someone at 600lbs would find normal portion sizes to be "morsels", heh.
>>
File: 150324081323401947.jpg (264KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
150324081323401947.jpg
264KB, 2048x1366px
>>35794133

LIES.

Your Metabolism cannot compensate THAT much.

If you are of normal height range and have a halfways decent amount of muscle on you, and are physically active, you will NOT regain much if any fat on say 2000 calories a day. Likely you will have to slightly up the calories to meet your energy needs.

Your metabolism will NOT, and CANNOT slow down soooo much that morsels (are you female, you speak in "vague") will cause you to become a "fat sow".

If you define Morsels as say 2500 calories a day combined with lifting regularly and cardio.

Now if Morsels is 3500+ calories a day...

OR if you define "fat sow" as like 12-16% bodyfat...

Person who hit the "normal" type people up hit the nail on the head.

Here is the issue, Walk around WALMART. Even if you hate the place, or a COSTCO, some large low cost retail center in any big city.

TAKE a LOOK at the people you see walking around. The way they dress, their ugly ass hair cuts, the stupid food and entertainment choices and so on. Fuuuuuck they are dumb.

Then realize this accounts for the VAST staggering majority of people. 95%.

Also, what % of the population is OLD (aging population in most White countries, and fuck euphemising with "Western") and remember these are the people over age 35 who are ugly out of shape and given up long ago on anything other than quick fix Endorphins, they watch dumb fucking movies, regular TV shows, no attention to their appearance, eat frozen pizzas as a regular meal losers.

No Shit those people cannot make permanent eating habbit changes. Their internal mindset is one of an average loser. This is the MAJORITY of your population. They are borderline animal. They cannot have a conversation about anything other than: work, TV, movie, who is fucking who, sports, celebrities, etc... and so on. No deeper meaning, and what they THINK is a deeper meaning is something they SAW IN A MOVIE. They would never read a book unless seen on Oprah or Dr.Phil.
>>
>>35784586
You have to completely rewire everything in your head and ignore articles like this. It is bullshit to think just because some people can't do it, you're not going to be able to. That's the kind of thing I thought when I was younger and why I never tried until last year.

I've lost 127 lbs and still need to lose around 60 lbs more, but I already know that I'm never going to put the weight back on.
I realized as soon as I started counting my calories and learning more about a proper diet, all this time I wasn't as in love with food as you'd think. I was just brought up in a way where I had a lot of crap around me. Crap that doesn't satisfy you or give you the nutrients your body needs, so I would eat and eat and then feel hungry again a few hours later. What you crave when your body isn't getting what it needs is sugar and salty junk, which are the worst things to possibly eat. You need to change your diet and not think of it as a temporary thing where you'll treat yourself more after you reach your goal.
>>
>>35784586
no the study is right.

the testgroup isnt tho

half of the People should be fatties and the other half non-fatties

if all gain weight the conclusion that its impossible to Keep off weight is right

if only the fatties gain the weight back it tells us that the Problem lies within the fatties and its not impossible to Keep the weight off

use your Brains guys
>>
File: s908476496241381410_p4_i1_w448.png (141KB, 448x539px) Image search: [Google]
s908476496241381410_p4_i1_w448.png
141KB, 448x539px
>>35784689
dont belive in the jewish lies
>>
>2015,85kg
>start dieting in april
>77 in june
>68 september
>late december still 68
>read about in/out late in december
>start counting
>already 64.5

How hard it is to NOT do something?all you need is to NOT do it,it's not drug it's just fucking food ffs.
>>
>>35784586
They're bull.

"secret" weight loss formula:

Monitor calories. most important. Replacing "bad" foods, with "good" foods (non calorically dense, high nutrition foods) overtime, to make it a lifestyle change to make it easier.

I come from a family of fatties and lost and kept a lot of weight off just with calories.
>>
>>35784586
my bro lost 6 stone and is now fit as fuck...been 5 years now

these studies are aimed at validating the lazy, ignore it and make it
>>
>>35784586
>>35784689
There's a statistic out there that says nearly everyone who loses weight does not keep it off.
Just because most people fail doesn't mean its nearly impossible.
It just means that people are idiots who don't know how to control their weight over the long term.
Why can't people into basic causal logic?
>>
>>35793279
>top kek, its not hard and almost everyone can do it. the reason why they fail is not actually knowing about calories in calories out.

I think it's because of dieting meme horseshit. The concept of a "diet", temporarily modifying your eating habits to lose weight, is simply a way for people to set themselves up for failure because it implies there's an end to it.

People get fat by living their life wrong. They do what the human body is not meant to and the body becomes what it is not meant to.

Changing yourself is an entire lifestyle change and honestly, relatively easy as long as a person acknowledges they're making changes to their lifestyle rather than a temporary fix.
>>
>>35795147
>people are idiots who don't know how to control their weight over the long term
It's more that they don't care, and will just crash-diet and revert to their old habits.
Thus the lose weight-gain weight cycle.
>>
>>35785756
>>35794431

This is the heart of the problem; people having no understanding of basic nutrition.

Store shelves are packed with over-processed meals, sugar based snacks and other toxic crap. It is counter intuitive to believe something so easily and widely available to be so bad for you.

People are stupid, if you cook with oils and use sugar in any way (even in your coffee) you are wreaking yourself.

Also, read about gut bacteria:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-october-28-2015-1.3291946/gut-bacteria-could-be-the-key-to-weight-loss-not-calorie-intake-1.3291996
>>
>>35795258
>if you cook with oils you are wreaking yourself.
what's wrong with using oils? Mediterranean diet is supposedly one of the healthiest and they use a lot of olive oil. I don't think it's healthy to blame specific foods (especially fatty foods which people need for hormone regulation and mental function) when the issue is some people eat too much.
>>
File: 1412238875494.jpg (49KB, 368x381px) Image search: [Google]
1412238875494.jpg
49KB, 368x381px
I've never been fat and I've never craved food to a point where I would ever get fat. If I don't put effort into my diet, I will eat less and probably lose weight.
I have to force myself to eat in order to gain weight.

Isn't is possible that fatties have the opposite natural state? I mean it's unsurprising that they can't keep the weight off if they have to be on a cut (or what feels like one) for the rest of their lives.

Most people in this thread have probably tried to cut at some point. It's not something you want to do for more than a few months at a time. Imagine if the rest of your life was cutting.

For a fatty, even maintenance intake will feel like cutting.

>btw I r8 that ass 8/8
>>
>>35784586

>Science perfectly lays out the laws that encompass weight gain and weight loss via thermodynamics and metabolism
>"It's impossible to lose weight and keep it off"

Pick one. The body obeys the laws of physics. The thing that will interfere is your determination and willpower.
>>
I eat like shit and I've been eating like shit ever since I moved out of my parents house, about four years ago.

I'm still skinny.

It's calories in vs. calories out and has always been calories in vs. calories out.
>>
>>35793290
Yeah cause living a normal life at a normal health should be compared to training for the olympics

I am this poster
>>35795361
and I've never had to struggle to keep my weight at a normal level. Worrying about overweight is literally 0% of my daily life

It's easy for me to say not being fat is easy and that fatties should just stop fucking eating, but maybe it's not so simple

And let me say that I'm not arguing basic thermodynamics here, I'm arguing that some people's brains are wired differently making it harder for them to stop eating
>>
>>35795172
>is simply a way for people to set themselves up for failure because it implies there's an end to it.

I agree. But it baffles me that so many people actually believe this.
>>
>I've never been fat and I've never craved food to a point where I would ever get fat. If I don't put effort into my diet, I will eat less and probably lose weight.
I have to force myself to eat in order to gain weight.

Are you me?
>>
File: 1421922334533.gif (2MB, 250x209px) Image search: [Google]
1421922334533.gif
2MB, 250x209px
>>35794991
>losing 1938 kg in 2 months
>>
>>35795412

DNP how does it work?
>>
Had a few professors that would talk about the "Set point theory" quite a lot. Sounds like the first link takes parts of that theory and runs with it. The entire theory takes into account cals in vs cals out, but also brings other factors to light as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2253845

Full actual article included at that link as well.
>>
>>35784586
Lost 70 lbs 5 years ago, never have gone back. I'd like to lose more, but I've been successful in keeping up my gym habit and the guilt ensures I never eat too much.

So I guess I'm a statistic improbability, but whatever.
>>
>>35784586
I've lost 30lbs and kept it off for three years so far.
I really need to lose another 60, but at least I haven't gained back the weight I lost.
>>
My pizza hut GM literally eats nothing outside of drinking a 2 liter pepsi. McDonald's and the occasional breadstick or pizza slice at work. He doesn't gain weight because he doesn't eat much at all on a daily basis. So he's obviously not thin but doesn't get any fatter at all.

Also wtf at you can't keep it off? I took it off at 18 and i still have abs at 25. I eat whatever i want. I'm just not an fat ass american from some mongoloid mind controlled family that buys jew food because the TV tells them too.
>>
>>35795361
That's how it feels, pretty much. I'm an ex-fattie that kept on putting weight on again every time I stopped counting.

I don't know, I just instinctively eat a bit more and slowly put on weight over time. It's not even that I go pig out 24/7, maybe I gain about like 1kg a month tops, but slowly but surely, I put it on.

I apparently eat too fast and it takes time for your stomach to realise it doesn't need more food for now. I also like to snack on something during the day, maybe a cinnamon roll and a glass of milk, and that's 500 cal. When I'm cutting that'd be about a third of what I'd eat in a day, but when I'm not it's just a small snack.

I find it so easy to eat too many calories that to me seeing people who struggle on putting on weight doesn't make any sense. A couple of handful of peanuts is literally all I'd need to be putting on weight at that rate instead of being at maintenance. One beer here, one glass of milk there, a small snack here. It just adds up. And this is without even drinking sodas or going for fast food or anything other than maybe once a month.
>>
>>35785592
cardio, motherfucker.
>>
File: 1389284814445.jpg (65KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1389284814445.jpg
65KB, 720x540px
>>35784689
It's almost impossible because fatties diet, lose weight, then go back to their shitty eating habbits. This is a lifestyle, not a something you do for 6 months.

t. former fatty
>>
>>35785185

Lost 45 lbs about 5 years ago. Have added a shit ton of muscle. Not done yet, would actually like to lose another 20, but look world's better now and feel better.
>>
>>35793217
>putting down cheeseburgers
>learning to cook healthy
Same as
>chemotherapy that wrecks havok on your body
>insides feel like liquid fire while your body rejects the idea on existing and you are barely able to do simple tasks
2/10 made me reply
>>
>>35796324
>implying resisting urges is the same as doing literally nothing

I'm thin and I still think you're a fucking dummy
>>
>>35784586

Are they even pants at that point? Everything is there.

I've seen some yoga pants in my day, but never have I seen them ride that high into the crack. That takes genuine effort.
>>
>>35785020
Right pic shows actual tradesmen working their asses off whilst left pic shows the faggot site managers standing around yapping as usual. Insides of belly should be swapped around.
>>
>>35797990
I thought the idea is the right are frantically working to keep it all together (which is true of the inside of an obese person's body) whereas the healthy body has the luxury of planning new developments because everything is running smoothly.
>>
>>35784586

then you are a fucking idiot, go live in a van down by the river
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.