[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/ lit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 21

File: image.jpg (70KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 500x750px
People shitting on lifters for being meatheads, let's prove them wrong by posting our reading material. Books that inspire or relate to fitness with description.
>the slight edge
Great book about how the little decisions, daily, even hourly, make the difference. It helped me go from fat to fit realizing that yes, one doughnut or whatever does matter, either eating it or not. You don't get fit instantly, and you don't get fat instantly. Daily choices, good or bad, lead to your destiny.
>pic kinda unrelated, but not really if you think about it
>>
File: 2195464.jpg (19KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
2195464.jpg
19KB, 317x475px
Not lifting but running.

Still fitness
>>
>>35746777
Not "related" to fitness, but Camus and other absurdists always make me feel motivated
>>
>>35746777
Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel
>>
File: fit3.jpg (822KB, 1012x2691px) Image search: [Google]
fit3.jpg
822KB, 1012x2691px
>>
>>35746777
Have read most of H. S. Thompson
I enjoy Mark Twain when I'm in the mood to let my mind wander.
Started "Mastery"
Also have "The Narcissism Epidemic" on my coffee table.
Read lots of books on theoretical physics including Michio Kaku "Hyperspace" the obligatory one like "A Brief History of Time" / "Relativity" and Neil Tysons "Death by Black Hole"
A few others but nothing I can think of at the moment though.
>>
>>35746777
I also post in /biz/ so I try to read books recommended there. Currently reading 48 Laws of Power which is intended to be a bit like Sun Tsu's Art of War, i.e. not directly related to business or personal life but rather a set of lessons that you apply in whatever situation you're in.

It's fucking fedora-tier "literature", I've gotta say. It's a good /biz/ book in that it undoubtedly made the author a lot of money. As for the content it's deliberately vague and often self-contradictory. A bit like newspaper zodiac columns, it doesn't give you any specific guidance, it just makes you feel good about what you were going to do anyway.

Aside from that I recently read (and liked) The Blank Slate. Also a fan of sci fi and classic 19/20th century fiction.
>>
File: deepest.jpg (32KB, 298x391px) Image search: [Google]
deepest.jpg
32KB, 298x391px
>>35746777
>People shitting on lifters for being meatheads, let's prove them wrong by posting our reading material. Books that inspire or relate to fitness with description.

That's exatly why people call 'you' meatheads, for fucking thinking you prove anything by reading fitness literature
>>
>>35746777
A farewell to arms or generally anything by Hemmingway. Guy works his ass off, and hates everything around him besides women. /fit/ in a nutshell
>>
>>35747228
OK, lemme look through my bookshelf and see what /fit/ might like:

Stretching Scientifically - Tomas Kurz. People rave about this book and how effective it is. I bought it back when I did martial arts and wanted to achieve the front splits. I should try again...

Poker, Gaming and Life - David Sklansky. A mix of poker and philosophy. Interesting even if you only have a passing interest in poker, the main lesson is to think in terms of long-term strategy.

The Making of a Legionnaire - Bill Parris. Some fag's autobiography of applying, training, and enrolling in the French Foreign Legion. The info about their training is interesting but they guy writes like a bore. "Legionnaire" by Simon Murray is a much better read but is more historical (1960s).

Mathematical Puzzles and Diversions - Martin Gardner. Got to keep those mental gains up, and Gardner was one of the best-regarded popularisers of maths in the last century.

No Surrender - Hiroo Onoda. The autobiography of an insanely patriotic Japanese soldier who refused to believe WW2 was over and continued living in the jungles of the Phillippines (occasionally shooting villagers) until well into the 70s. Fascinating read.
>>
>>35747251

Quit being a dick, Thomas
>>
>>35746777
Just started Hyperion.
>>
Lyle Mcdonald has some great lit out on nutrition
>>
I only read fantasy and nonfiction... mostly non fiction but I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately. Wheel of time, the First Law trilogy, starting on Sword of Truth now.

I tried the Dark Tower series but I really couldn't get past the middle of the first book. I dont know what it was about it but holy shit.

As far as nonfiction a book called Mindset by Dweck is really good. Think on These Things by Krishnamurti was cool, lots of travel essays.
>>
Is the slight edge fitness focused? I don't need a push to stay fit but I'd like that kinda stuff in other aspects of life.

I'm reading the count of monte cristo right now because it's like 3000 pages and I was really curious about how much of a story they had that they needed 3000 pages.
>>
>>35747318
Almost, but I'm pretty sure /fit/ hates women too.

The vocal majority of 4chan hates absolutely everything. That's why you can't get through 3 replies without somebody being called a retard.
>>
>>35747566
Slight edge is pretty much success focused. It touches on many aspects but success principles are fairly universal, so no, it's not specific to fitness but it relates well to pretty much every arena.
>>
File: oryx1.jpg (171KB, 513x700px) Image search: [Google]
oryx1.jpg
171KB, 513x700px
Set in the future and the book is literally about genetically engineering new types of humans which are fit and hot
>>
File: 1389806214322.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1389806214322.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
thank me later
Examine Stack Guides
http://filehoot.com/biq9ry1hdfg8.html

Lyle Mcdonald's articles and Ebooks
http://filehoot.com/zhaolggxzi00.html
>>
>>35747500
read hyperion and fall of this year and found them to be quite dissapointing teebeehee.
Maybe they were good when they came out but I don't think they compare to stuff like Starship Troopers or The Stars my destination.
Do you have some other sci fi to reccomend brah?
>>
>>35746829
Any feedback on this?
>>
>>35748059
Read Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, & The Rise of Endymion, was quite satisfied with the second half of the series, it pieces everything together.
>>
>>35747378
Try How To Prove It by Velleman and Naive Set Theory by Halmos
>>
>>35748059
Culture series
Alistair Reynolds
Book of the new sun by Gene Wolfe
Ursula K. Leguin
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
An oldy but a goody - Lost Horizons
>>
>>35748162
>>35748127

>no Solaris in these recs

Read Solaris
>>
i'm reading Tristana, by Benito Perez Galdos; L'Ecole des Femmes, by Moliere; Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle and the Phaedrus.

i've never really read things directly related to /fit/ but i suppose Stoner by Williams really strikes you hard if you're living what you see as a life of mediocrity and can't find a way out. i'm a transplant from /lit/ though so it's a meme to like stoner, i guess.

>>35748095
most of it is /pol/ trash with little to no literary merit, morning crafts is OK but not for the reasons the plebs who made that image think
>>
>>35748201
>Moliere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlMSnj6OEGY
>>
>>35748229
this is quite nice, thanks for sharing
>>
>>35747318
Hemingway is based. All about truth and love. And all the plebs will think you are smart if you are reading Hemingway
>>
>>35748095
The way of men is a shit book. I would recommend stoic philosophy over it. More eloquent and more impactful
>>
>>35746777
Lord of the Flies. A reminder that behind the facade of "society", the alphas play chess with the rest of us.
>>
>>35748493
Yeah I've taken grade 10 english as well.
>>
Maybe I am a hopeless meathead.

Terry Pratchett- Color of Magic
Robert Jordan- Wheel of Time series
Brandon Sanderson- Well of Ascension

To my credit I'm a pre-med student and spend a lot of my time reading for class, so when I chose to read, I like to read things that are far away from the reality I live in.

I'm also reading a massage therapy book, which is bretty good. Self-massage techniques are easy and beneficial, especially since I don't want to pay for monthly massage sessions.
>>
>>35747527

Sword of Truth is so deliciously trashy. I abandoned the series at book 5 because I got tired of his "but wait, so and so LIVES!" BS.

Kill your characters and kill them dead, or not at fucking all.
>>
>>35748189
Oh yeah an amazing experience for Severian. Unbelievable expansion of that character.

>>35748493
Also: Don't ever be piggy!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CO0Z5cuWw
>>
Meditations

The Republic

Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals

Nichomachean Ethics

Beyond Good and Evil
>>
>>35746777
A women that good looking is probably a lesbian, a lot gym rat women are huge lesbians.
>>
>>35746777
lifting books are shit but i guess
>Born To Run
counts.

But if we're talking actual good books,
>In Search of Lost Time, Proust
goml
>>
It's funny when someone tries to call me a meathead because it's always some fat fedora tipping neck beard and they never know how to respond when I hit them with the fact I'm at a t14 law school on a scholarship
>>
>>35746777

Currently reading:

>The Willpower Instinct

Pretty good for dem mental gains.

>The Brothers Karamazov
Really like it so far, pretty dense but easy to keep going once you're used to it, good to keep a dictionary handy

>Fires of Heaven
Book 5 in Wheel of Time series, fun fantasy that has a good plot and great world building, only down side is characters can be annoying sometimes
>>
>>35747228
business books are shit. they arent principles that will foster success, they are post-success self-indulgence. a set of beliefs that retrospectively can be stretched to fit what already happened
>>35747566
>count of monte cristo
one of my favorites. enjoy the fuck out of it, anon
>>35748493
bretty good for a middle school reading level. enjoyable but not overly difficult
>>
>>35748790
Redpill me on nichomachean ethics
>>
Finishing Ulysses, probably going to read Marquez (Love in the time of cholera) or Hemingway (Sun also rises) next. Ulysses has been an amazing experience, almost sad that it is over.
>>
>>35748846
>Brothers Karamazov
Dostoyevsky is pretty awesome, although I haven't read that one. I did The Idiot and Crime and Punishment. Dense, but very good if you like that kind of writing (it's my jam +bh)
>>
>>35748882
Not him, but it is actually pretty /fit/-related. I believe that Aristotle writes something like 'the womanly beauty lies in their fragility, but a man can only be beautiful when he is big. Surely, a man can be handsome or good-looking etc., but true beauty comes with a man's strenght.'. It's been some time since I've read it though, might be wrong.
>>
>>35748887
>Marquez
didnt read LITTOC but I read One Hundred Years of Solitude. I read it in a Metafiction class and I found most of what the book offered I wouldve missed had I read it on my own, outside of a metficticious framework. If LITTOC is the same and you enjoy it, I would also recommend John Barth's Lost in the Funhouse
>>
>>35748926
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. I will be sure to look up metafiction too before starting Marquez, although reading a book on its own merits is nice aswell. Neat to see other people that are interested in literature on /fit/ !
>>
>>35748903

Yeah, I agree. Crime and Punishment is a great read, and Brothers Karamazov is denser if anything. Lots of philosophy if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
File: IMG_20160124_155125.jpg (11KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_155125.jpg
11KB, 240x240px
Starting Strength 3rd Edition
>>
>>35748605

Mistborn is pretty cool. I thought the first was the best of the three, but found all of them enjoyable. Allomancy is one of the coolest magic systems I've ever seen in a fantasy series.
>>
Threads like this make me sad. How can I have time to be fit, read, and play guitar? There aren't enough hours in the day
>>
File: alloymancy.jpg (726KB, 1400x1500px) Image search: [Google]
alloymancy.jpg
726KB, 1400x1500px
>>35749063
>Allomancy
>>
>>35748906
From a utilitarian perspective he's right. Sometimes I have to remind myself when I'm doing physical labor that this is what I train for.

>>35748926
LITTOC focuses on 3 characters rather than generations of a family, and the characters are more realistic. Less magical and more realism, but fascinating
>>
File: IMG_20160125_140746272_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160125_140746272_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>35747500
>>35748059
Mah niggas, I just started Hyperion the other day, if you haven't read Dune then read it
>>
I think I wanna find some ideology/philosophy.

Looking at the willpower instinct out of what has been mentioned here. Any recommendations?

A lot of books on these subjects are just some simple minded self help or /pol/ material.
>>
>>35749013
What philosophy? His own? Or interpretation
>>
I got the stench of Honolulu for Christmas and finally finished it today. It's a fast read and I found it really funny. It's written by jack handey, the guy who did deep thoughts on old SNL episodes.
>>
Models by Mark Manson
>inb4 fags hate on me for learning pickup
>>
File: 617424.jpg (35KB, 323x500px) Image search: [Google]
617424.jpg
35KB, 323x500px
>>35747318
>>
>>35749063

The second book got flung across my room when I finished it. I was pretty disappointed-- The first was great, yeah, so it's taking some getting used to. I wanted the mistborne brother and Vin to develop more of a relationship and continue on, but I guess not.

I like him. He was crazy, and it brought the intensity to the book that I needed. The third book is dragging, and I miss the earlier fights.

Also, if they could make an animu/movie out of Mistborne, I would be very happy (provided they don't fuck it up and adapt it outside of the original plot.)
>>
>>35746788
Good book, enjoyed it
>>
File: HowBadDoYouWantIt.jpg (184KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
HowBadDoYouWantIt.jpg
184KB, 300x450px
Great book so far
>>
File: RacingWeight.jpg (227KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
RacingWeight.jpg
227KB, 400x600px
>>
File: ImHereToWin.jpg (192KB, 799x1235px) Image search: [Google]
ImHereToWin.jpg
192KB, 799x1235px
Good book about winning mentality, but not too much good advice for non-elite racers
>>
I once read Foucault while using an elliptical.
>>
>>35747527
The first book of the DT series is weird but the rest of the series reads much better. Also try picking up the name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss if you need a new fantasy series.
>>
File: url.jpg (7KB, 240x165px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7KB, 240x165px
Yukio Mishima is the ultimate /fit/ author.

“Muscles, I found, were strength as well as form, and each complex of muscles was slightly responsible for the direction in which its own strength was exerted, much as though they were rays of light given the form of flesh.

Nothing could have accorded better with the definition of a work of art that I had long cherished than this concept of form enfolding strength, coupled with the idea that a work should be organic, radiating rays of light in all directions.

The muscles that I thus created were at one and the same time simple existence and works of art; they even, paradoxically, possessed a certain abstract nature. their one fatal flaw was that they were too closely involved with the life process, which decreed that they should decline and perish with the decline of life itself.”
>>
>>35750329
[Racks weight]
>>
>>35750290
Can verify that the name of the wind is the shit. Opinions vary ALOT when it comes to the series though.
>>
>>35748605
God this. The books I read in my spare time are enjoyable and fairly easy to read. I'll dive into the deeper shit when I'm done with my program.
>>
>>35748548
>>>35747378
brutal
>>
File: theprofession_book.jpg (39KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
theprofession_book.jpg
39KB, 182x276px
>>35746777
Anything by steven pressfield. pic related, multiple steron usage mentioned
>>
>>35746777
russian masterace

Bulhakov , Dostoyevsky ,Tolstoy,
Nabokov , A.B Strugatsky
>>
>>35748605
Terry Pratchett is incredible.
He matured as an author after the first couple of books, so the first books are generally considered his worst.
I really recommend "Guards! Guards!" and the following books in the series about the Ankh-Morpork city watch.
>>
>>35753722
> No Chekhov
>>
Favorite writers in no particular order:
-steinbeck
-ishiguro
-irving
-somerset maugham
-wolfe
-murakami
-naipaul
-rushdie
-robertson davies
- mantel
-tolstoy
>>
>>35754304
Currently readin that new irving book avenue of mysteries btw, don't know if it's any good yet.
>>
File: 8117HB7WbvL[1].jpg (303KB, 1400x2092px) Image search: [Google]
8117HB7WbvL[1].jpg
303KB, 1400x2092px
Any russian lit bros in here?
>>
>no John Fowles anywhere

Fucking plebs.
>>
Books are for nerds
>>
>>35754328
I read some dostoyeveski and some bulgakov and i lik tolstoy, but I don't much like the overly descriptive nature of russian novels.
>>
>>35746788
>/fit/
>running
gtfo
>>
Did anyone here read Hotel New Hampshire?

You've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed - Iowa Bob
>>
SICP
>>
>>35754335
>choosing the blue pill
>>
File: 4326196884_2782db3467_z.jpg (125KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
4326196884_2782db3467_z.jpg
125KB, 640x428px
This is a good thread, let's keep it alive.
The Rider is really good. Even if you hate cycling.
>>
>>35754347
wrong board
>>
>>35746777
Think and grow rich
>>
>>35748229
thank you
>>
>>35747527
THE WHEEL WEAVES AS THE WHEEL WILLS
>>
>>35749067
Rest days familia

>>35746777
I just finished Tender is the Night Saturday and started on Journey to the end of the Night yesterday, liking it so far.
>>
As long as it has pictures I will read it
>>
File: Bäst.png (277KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Bäst.png
277KB, 450x450px
Well I have to recommend books my Conn Iggulden. Reading about the great conquerors and the life of their armies always gives me some extra motivation to work on my body and mind. I mean after reading about the Mongol conquests or the life of Gaius Julius Ceasar one can not simply skip leg day or let the fatty mentality take control. These I'll definately recommend to EVERYONE and you also learn a bit about history on the way.

Also every other book about ancient times, conquerors, wars and history alltogether are my own favorites. From reading and learning about history I've started to completely ignore every little negative aspect of my life (balding, some minor acne, not always very good with the girls). Becouse how can I seriously complain about stuff like that when I know what most of the people during most of the known history have been through? And also what is going on at the moment in places like Africa, Venezuela, Middle East and other crisis affected zones.

Damn I love history bois
>>
File: 1376138171551.jpg (458KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1376138171551.jpg
458KB, 2048x1536px
>>35757531
>Conn Iggulden

Sounds like a brofessor at Hogwarts school of Broscience
>>
>no illiad
>no homer

anyway, a schopenhauer vs nietzsche reading should be a must for every /fit/ member

stoicism and books from the old cultures
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.