[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's fit's official opinion on fitness smart-watches?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: fitbit.png (49KB, 435x402px) Image search: [Google]
fitbit.png
49KB, 435x402px
what's fit's official opinion on fitness smart-watches?
>>
I've thought about getting one but at that price it's certainly a luxury item with no actual benefits
>>
Only fat people wear them.
>>
only useful on a cut and cardio/endurance gains... completely useless for tracking weight lifting/gains
>>
>>35692530

My mom got me a FitBit for Christmas. It hasn't let me know any more info than I didn't already know. I workout, and track my diet. I do like how it tracks my sleep though. That's kinda cool.

For people that don't take care of themselves, I can see how it would motivate people. I added a few friends on there, and the competition things are fun.

For example, I added my brothers girlfriend who gained some weight over the last year, and she admitted she's been a lot more active since I can see her activity because she know I'll talk shit when I get more steps.

tl;dr They're mostly for lazy people. If you're already /fit/, save your money.
>>
If you are cutting they can be useful.

But generally they are better at being bought than being used.
>>
probably better to get just a normal smart watch, I have one and there are some cool apps where you can program your whole set via your phone then your watch will basically instruct you which exercise, how many reps, which weight etc etc and you can also program the rest times in between.sets.
>>
it's a gimmick for people who'd rather pay money than do the shit that's necessary to get fit. there are tons of those people so I image they sell well
>>
>>35693051
guy who founded the fitbits is a billionaire
>>
>>35693121
>>35693051

Along with the FitBit scale that costs what? Like $120 or something fucking ridiculous? I just remember looking it up, and my jaw dropping.

Wish I could come up with a great idea to cash in on unmotivated fatties like that guy. Fuckin genius.
>>
>>35692530
A proper garmin/suunto/whatever is useful if you're serious about being a competitive athlete in cardio, otherwise they don't really tell you much you don't already know.
But they're not gonna be detrimental in any case.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-20-11-53-02.png (267KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-20-11-53-02.png
267KB, 1440x2560px
>>35692530
I dig my charge HR. By keeping my heartrate up, i know not to rest / fuck around too long. Even though i put in my stats 6'0 / 170 / 25 yo, it still underpredicts my calories burned.

My TDEE is about 3100 kcal (bulk on 3400) and the fitbit says i burn like 2800.
>>
>>35693291

Yours might work better than mine, but I don't trust the HR monitor. I did fuckin bike sprints for 15 minutes, checked my HR when I started my cool down, and it said ~75.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12086337/Fitbit-heart-rate-tracking-is-dangerously-inaccurate-lawsuit-claims.html
>>
I got a Pebble Steel for Christmas.

Is there any Fit related uses with that?
>>
I have the FitBit Charge. Dad got it for me for Christmas so I wear it all the time. I don't trust the calorie calculator on it and I know that the distance tracker is completely wrong. I have a 3.5 mile run that I know for a fact is 3.5 miles and it always says I ran around 3. I still like it though. The sleep tracker seems accurate and is really interesting. And even though a lot of its features aren't perfect it's still fun to try and beat your records.
>>
I got the Garmin Forerunner 225. I just use it as a watch and for tracking my runs since it has a gps. Also the heart rate monitor works fine for running and finding your rest pulse. Not that good lifting. I'd say if you have the money and you enjoy going for runs it's a nice accessorie for that.
On a side note the step tracking and calorie stuff on it is bullshit.
>>
>>35692530
>I need /fit/'s approval to wear something!!!

Never gonna make it
>>
>>35692530
>>35693291
I dig my charge HR as well, got it for christmas. mainly for the sleep though. i somehow didn't notice I was getting <5 hrs of sleep a night, but when I thought about it, it was true. and the heart rate/steps is sorta naice I guess.

definitely not needed, but it's a neat little accessory. it can be fun if you have friends who have them as well, to compete for steps n shit. not like that'll get you in shape or anything, but it can be fun-ish.
>>
>>35692530
>what's fit's official opinion on fitness smart-watches?
They're a meme and a placebo and they just allow you to be tracked by Corporate America. Throw it away.
>>
>>35692530
My buddy has one he uses in the gym with me.

I think the Fitbit is very inaccurate as measuring burnt calories. Even today his thing said he burned over 1k calories, even before we started doing cardio right after lifting. Granted we lift for about one and a half to two hours everyday, it just doesn't seem right.

So I think it's way off.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.