[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do People Actually Read the Full Starting Strength Book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

File: ripcurls.png (155KB, 366x510px) Image search: [Google]
ripcurls.png
155KB, 366x510px
I ask because I see people going "lol T-Rex" or "lol GOMAD" even though the book talks extensively about upper body accessories (curls, chins, incline bench, shrugs) and GOMAD is only recommended for Auschwitzmode DYELs. Never done SS myself, but I did do a beginner LP. Pic related.
>>
I drink 1 liter of milk a day and do SS + accessories and I'm doing great. I don't get the people of this board
>>
>do people actually read SS

no
>>
>>35670282
No I only read the memes on /fit/
>>
Reading SS gives you a pretty good insight into how you've been fucking up all of your lifts by not being educated on how you should be moving.
Any progressive program is going to be better than going about it willy nilly.
If only gaining mass was my problem.. NOGOMAD
>>
>>35670282
>Do People Actually Read the Full Starting Strength Book?

Absolutely not.
>>
Are there any decent books on lifting?

I just ordered a squat rack, bench, weights and barbell for my garage but all my knowledge of lifting has come from a Korean sandal enthusiast telegram exchange messageboard.
>>
>>35670437

>willy nilly

I swear, people dont have a clue what this actually means...
>>
>>35670282
I read SS, and Rippetoe is wrong on some pretty important things.
>>
>>35671499
umm with that context it makes perfect sense. Seriously . . . google it.
>>
>>
It's a book for strength coaches. There are no other books like it. Hence the popularity.
>>
>>35671516

not going to elaborate at all? not going to even claim what expertise you have?

ok
>>
>>35671986
Just read recent-ish studies on the biomechanical analysis of squats and deadlifts, and compare that with what Rippletits says.
>>
>>35672058
>i read an article from greg cuckols that i think contradicts what rip teaches
you're being vague because you don't want people to call you out.

don't be that guy who goes
>hey i have some information relevant to this thread
>dont ask me what it is though kek i won't do your homework for you
>>
in SS rippletits advices you to do curls in the squat rack.

I am not making this up.
>>
>>35671610
criminally underrated
>>
>>35672058
Biomechanical analysis of squats? Jesus.... go back to bed kid. The real world runs on results.
>>
>>35672058
for fucks sake, stop being so vague

if you wanna say something and start an discussion JUST DO IT
>>
The SS book is solid gold for form guide and troubleshooting, and otherwise great aside from diet advice.
>>
>>35670282
Someone post the SS party one.
>>
>>35670282
> GOMAD is only recommended for DYELs

What does it matter if I'm 120lb or 220lb? Drinking a gallon of milk a day or being in a +3000 kcal surplus is retarded for anyone.

The book may talk about curls, chins, incline bench... but the routine has you working legs every day, which is stupid. I never understood why 5 rep sets are supposadly better for progression either. I progress better with 8-12 reps, and 3x the volume of SS, personally.
>>
>>35671986
>not going to elaborate at all? not going to even claim what expertise you have?

basically none of the strongest squatters squat as he suggests.
>>
>>35673677
the strongest squatters are on grams on gear and have 10+ years of experience behind them ofc they aren't squatting how it's recommended beginners squat
>>
>>35673744
>grams on gear

lad, the IPF and IWF are drug tested.
>>
>>35673804

Badly.

I'm not saying everyone (or even the majority) in both are on gear, but the way they handle testing is basically a joke if you're from any country that doesn't actively try to catch its own athletes - which, unfortunately, is quite a number of them.
>>
>>35670282
>legs every day

It doesn't matter how much upperbody you do at that point your legs are going to skyrocket into space and your upperbody is gonna look relatively crap
>>
File: 1450654230635.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
1450654230635.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>35673658
it'll obviously be easier to gain muscle at underweight than it is at normal weight
if you're underweight and start eating more without even lifting you'll gain a lot of muscle alongside with some fat, with lifting your muscle gains will be even more rapid
>>
>>35670282
Everyone that unironically spouts the SS+GOMAD meme when rippetits is mentioned has not read the book. The book is an indepth analysis in pure strength training, not on how to become a bodybuilder or get toned for summer like most people here want.
>>
>>35673853
>Upper body work everyday as well
The reason SS has you squatting every workout AS A BEGINNER is because it is a lift that can progress very quickly and doesnt require as much time to recover from. People that claim their legs blew up on this routine and their upper body lagged did not focus enough on the benching, pressing, and deadlifting Rippetoe also says to do
>>
>>35673658
>What does it matter if I'm 120lb or 220lb?
context. someone massively obese needs to cut significantly, and a massively underweight person needs to bulk significantly. being severely underweight doesn't mean you're only lacking in fat, and something needs to happen to rectify the problem fast.

>legs every day
>stupid
literally even most body builders by now know not to follow conventional bodybuilding routines. its just you stuck in the past. but go ahead and stick to your one body part a week routine and telling people

>b-but I don't train for s-s-strength

>>35673677
that's got nothing to do with the form advice he gives. he doesn't suggest a massive powerlifting arch yet the people holding the world records tend to have great arches. does that mean everyone should arch as much as possible? or that not arching significantly is bad form? no.

how about instead of anecdotal, false logical connection, you give a legitimate criticism of anything he advocates?
>>
>>35670282
I did though I don't know if I'd recommend it beyond skimming for pictures. Rip tends to be very long winded. 15 minutes with a trainer will do more for your form than hours of reading. I'd recommend anyone spend a session with a trainer when starting out to get your form right for squatting and cleaning. I wish I did.
>>
>>35674027
shill pls go
>>
>>35674027

Most trainers are shit tho
>>
>>35673629
It's actually got very reasonable diet advice.
>>
>>35671468
New encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding
>>
>>35670282
It's way too long. Too much babble that not a lot of people would have much use from.
>>
>>35671499
>"Will ye or nill ye"
Without direction or planning; haphazardly
>>
165lbs/6'1'' hungry skeleton here

Should I do GOMAD? I don't know how to cook anything and want to have gains now while I learn to cook
>>
>>35674652
No, you're skinny but not holocaust skinny. Add one or two peanutbutter sandwiches and a few extra glasses of milk to your diet maybe but skip GOMAD.

>>35674499
No.
>>
>>35674670
>No.
The tl;dr versions and Rippletits instruction videos are a much better way to learn the program and the lifts.
>>
>>35674670
>No.

Rip spends 20 pages explaining why your shoulders should be ahead of the bar during deadlifts. That's shit nobody cares about.
>>
>>35674714
>>35674690
Some people learn better by reading, and having things explained in depth can help to drive a point across. It's worth your afternoon to read through the book.
>>
>>35674728
I suppose that is true.
>>
File: 1435589933720.jpg (3KB, 94x91px) Image search: [Google]
1435589933720.jpg
3KB, 94x91px
I've got the book now but honestly have been putting off reading it. I just can't read stuff that log.

On another note with SS to anyone that did it for a long while, did you have to buy new larger underwear after awhile? I wanna pick up some new trunks but I'm half way between size M and L, not sure what to get.
>>
>>35674807
buy S and wear them for 24 hours then sell them to me
>>
>>35673658
>+3000 kcal surplus
>i did this thing and it worked for me
You didn't read the book did you.
No where in the book does it say to eat 3000 kcal over maintenance.
The logic behind 5 reps is that you are able to lift a greater weight 5 times than you are able to do 8-12 times. Therefore your muscles adapt to that heavier weight faster.
>>
>>35674925
Not him but I read the diet and nutrient part yesterday and it says for a thin dude to eat I think it was 4000-6000cal or something. page 308 to 311 faam
>>
>>35674652
Calculate how many calories you burn, then add 400-500 maybe a thousand if you want to put on mass then hit your macros. Its in the sticky and the book and is common knowledge that you have to eat more than you burn to gain weight. If drinking a gallon of milk will help you fulfill these macros and surplus and you can handle that much lactose, do it. I'd shit my guts if I drank more than a liter of milk but some people drink milk like water.
>>
>>35673887
lol dont talk shit when you know fucking nothing. i was 5'9 50 kilos, eating a fuckload does not build muscle. fucking assholes spewing their bullshit thoughts as facts.
>>
>>35671593
he means the original maybe, maybe not meaning, hes a shakespeare fan and all
>>
File: Kid.jpg (21KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
Kid.jpg
21KB, 398x500px
>>35670400
>>
>>35674966
If you're tall, young, and active, your maintenance can definitely be 4000 Cal. So a 4000 - 6000 Cal diet is in fact appropriate for some people (especially those who say they "can't gain weight no matter what").

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/
>>
>>35670282
I based my workout and eating habits off of the sticky and am having a great time. I have up sugary drinks and have gained about 15lbs of muscle over the last 11 months. I look and feel a lot better. Been doing SS the majority of the time. There is a silent majority on fit who use this place as motivation to work hard and achieve goals
>>
>>35674652
Goad is pretty extreme. Drink whole milk and also Google scoobys gainer bars and make a shit load of them. Has helped me gain
>>
>>35674966
He says on pg 308 that:

Most sources within the heavy training community agree that a good starting point is one gram of protein per pound of body weight with the rest of their diet making up 3500-6000 calories depending on training requirements and body composition.

He doesnt explicitly say eat 6000 calories a day, he's saying eat to fill your macros, and its possible to eat several thousand calories a day which dietitians will tell you is unhealthy. Also note he says heavy training community, referring to people who train at least 5 times a week not doing some dilettante routine. Senpai.

>>35670282
The reason people on this board talk shit about SS is because originally people on this board recognized SS as a legitimate beginner routine. This led to memes being created about it such as Trex mode and GOMAD. Then newfriends came to the board and saw these memes and assumed that the memes were derogatory because SS was bad, not because boards meme the things they have a lot of exposure to. If you go on other boards you can see the same meme progressions where meme becomes fact and fact becomes meme.
>>
>>35673677
>basically none of the strongest squatters squat as he suggests.
Yeah because SS is a beginners program... For athletes looking to gain general strength. If you read the book or knew anything about SS or power lifting generally you would know this.
>>
>dO pEoPlE aCtUaLlY rEaD tHe FuLl StArTiNg StReNgTh BoOk?
>>
>>35670282
>moving the elbows during a curl

lel
stick to power lifting, fatass rip
>>
>>35674807
Nah m8. Get whatever size you're wearing now and you'll look sexy in them by the time you're done with SS
>>
>>35675080
How about you listen to your own advice, fucko? Did you count your calories?
>>
File: 2016-01-19%2017.18.40-1.png (608KB, 510x1075px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-19%2017.18.40-1.png
608KB, 510x1075px
Hi guys did I Fuck up SS?

If so how do I un Fuck myself
>>
>>35677071
You're looking sexy senpai!
>>
>>35677071
by switching to an intermediate routine and putting some level of focus onto lats primarily, and chest.
>>
>>35677109
I'm running it again just started less than a month. That's cos I had tonsilitis and traveling for work over a few monthsplus and lost alot of my strength.

my lifts are shit now.

squat 225
bench 155
ohp 110
deadlift 305

all 3 sets of 5. 1 set of 5 for deads.

my squats can't seem to progress and my lifts are too weak to change to an intermediate program. Any advice?
>>
I must be in the minority that actually read the whole book, did the program as prescribed, and even did GOMAD.

It took me from knowing nothing about lifting and being stupidly weak and under-weight to having some clue about lifting, being stronger and much, much bigger.

I think I was pretty stupid in my weight gain because I ended up over 20%bf, but I was happy with the way my lifts were improving and so didn't give many fucks at the time. It was only when I tried to lose the fat that I realised I'd fucked up a bit.

Overall I don't regret it, but I probably recommend GOMAD, and wouldn't recommend people stay on SS for too long.
>>
>>35677071
pls be in london
>>
>>35677207
sorry I meant WOULDN'T recommend GOMAD
>>
>>35677071
looks more like you are lower body dominant, just decrease leg volume and increase upper body volume
>>
>>35677131

If you're cutting or recomping add some more upper body accessories especially for chest and back (Rip recommendeds dips & hyperextensions afaik), wait until you can bulk to worry about progressing.

If you're bulking add some more upper body accessories especially for chest and back, and eat more.
>>
>>35677071
>""""proportional"""" legs
>>
>>35677316
thx for the replies. I'm looking to gain so I'll be bulking.

chest and back accessories like incline bench and chin ups?
>>
>>35677334

Yup.
>>
>2012+4

>Buying books
>>
>>35672335
There's nothing wrong with me doing curls in the squat rack, its other people doing anything in my squat rack that's annoying.
>>
File: starting-strength-smh_1.jpg (181KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
starting-strength-smh_1.jpg
181KB, 500x400px
>>35671468

Yes, there's this very secret book called Starting Strength.
>>
File: 1437119798775.jpg (19KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1437119798775.jpg
19KB, 413x395px
>>35673804

This guy
>>
>>35676921

Biceps do shoulder flexion, so that's actually correct form.

>>35677223
>>35677321
>>35677129

>these are the people giving advice on /fit/
>>
I saw some black guy in my gym do the ss program with above parallel squats rack pulls and 3x5 curls at the end. I know there are people stupider than that in this thread
>>
>>35675080
It literally does though you skinnyfat nerd
>>
>>35670282
Bunch of WIP t-rexs shilling for GOFAT routine, disregard thread don't be trolled!
>>
>>35677595
This is exactly correct.
>>
>hey, I want to look good and be strong
>make sure you 5x5 squat at the beginning of EVERY SESSION
>JUST GO 3X5 ON YOUR LIGHTER DAY BRO

Doing all these squats are highly overrated I feel. Once you break out of the beginner strength you'll want to train your upper body like a madman anyway.
>>
nowhere in the book does he say to add incline or dips or shrugs _to the novice program_. the book is about basic barbell training, not just the novice program. in the chins chapter he says that chins are the only useful accessory that should be done during the novice phase and any other addition should be considered very carefully.

>>35676309
underrated
>>35677794
>biceps do shoulder flexion
insignificant. almost 0 moment arm
>>
>>35670282
no most people don't. but it's not a very big book, i read it over a couple days when i first started out, and it does have some good information
>>
>>35675080
this. its fucking hard to eat so much when youre not used to it. with this much input i have to shit sometimes 5 times a day and more and its not the "oh i might shit in a few hours feel" its the "damn i skip my next meeting because my stomach explodes" feeling and if youre not sitting on your ass allday you burn even more calories
>>
>>35673677
He put a video out interviewing one of his certified SS coaches about a week ago. They went into detail about how the U.S. sucks at olympic lifting because, in addition to rampant steroid use and 'train from child' in other countries, no one in the United States trains the lowbar squat. Instead they train specificity, like highbar squatting for after the catch on a clean and jerk. Or rack pulls for the second part of the pull in the clean and jerk.

Rippetoe's philosophy has always been to train the most muscles in the most efficient way. Which means your basis, multi-joint barbell lifts.
>>
>>35670381
don't do it
too much mammalian estrogen in milk
also lots of puss in milk, disgusting
>>
>>35679461
lol

vegan pls go
>>
>>35679497
enjoy your gyno you milk fag
>>
>>35679360

And he was completely wrong about everything in that video. He's a joke amongst weightlifting coaches, literally nobody squats low bar in WL because it's a shit movement for a sport that's all about positional strength (and you never want to be in anything close to a low bar squat position during a snatch or clean)

He's overrated as fuck around here and has never produced a genuinely good athlete in any sport, especially weightlifting
>>
>>35679605
tbf he's probably produced about a thousand good football players
>>
>>35679360
no olympic lifter in any country trains the lowbar squat lol
>>
>>35677071
Why did you censor your cock?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.