[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So wide grip bench press is completely pointless then https:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: s8atJ.jpg (132KB, 752x500px) Image search: [Google]
s8atJ.jpg
132KB, 752x500px
So wide grip bench press is completely pointless then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsBzQL4GzRM
>>
File: 1439105948374.jpg (62KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439105948374.jpg
62KB, 800x600px
>>35655297
>>
>>35655297
He said wide is 7% better for lower chest than narrow grip. That's still pretty decent even if there are loads of benefits for going narrow grip.
>>
>not doing both
do you even want to make it?
>>
>>35655404
Why do both when narrow works everything better a lot better except lower chest which is pretty much works the same anyway?
>>
why would I care about what some dyel on youtube says?
>>
>>35655443
its from a scientific research paper, look at the graphs
>>
>>35655426
wide = more pecs
narrow = more triceps
>>
So why is shoulder width better for bench but he said diamond push ups are better in his other video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9sQnnIDJg
>>
>>35655443
I still have a hard time taking advice from someone who looks like he would collapse from 5 pushups.
>>
>>35655485
actually the triceps graph shows above 0.7mV.s activation whereas the graphs for both upper and lower pecs have a max of about 0.55mV.s so triceps are always worked more than pecs. also only your lower pec is worked more with wide grip and only 7% more, your upper pec is worked 31% more by using narrow grip.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>35655530
>also only your lower pec is worked more with wide grip
which is arguably the most important as far as aesthetics are concerned
>>
>>35655548
yeah but only 7% more, so almost the same. but upper is 31% more with narrow grip, more than 4 times more. so why do wide grip when you can work lower pecs pretty much the same using narrow + grow triceps and upper pecs so much more?
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 870x1120px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 870x1120px
Completely useless

Def not useful at all

Did not help this man achieve his physique in any way
>>
DYEL
>>
>>35655548
I recognized scooby in this pic because of his permanently erect nipples. Does this mean I am gay?
>>
>>35655297
>advertising your shitty video on /fit/

Remember to report the thread, guys
>>
>>35655613
>not being an optimal exercise means not working the muscles at all
your logic is flawless
>>
>>35655297
doesn't account for possible max load. this guy is a mong who thinks he's cracked the code.
>>
>>35655297
it already was, do people seriously do these without worrying about their shoulders
>>
>>35655671
this. wide grip makes you much more likely to get injured
>>
>>35655643
Thank you I'm glad you recognise how great it was
>>
>>35655297
pretty legit video. anyway i do bot wide on pec day and narrow on triceps day so whatever
>>
File: #5 max weight- grip&inclination.jpg (36KB, 439x358px) Image search: [Google]
#5 max weight- grip&inclination.jpg
36KB, 439x358px
>>35655667
max load for wide is like 5% higher at most. also you would have an even higher max load for decline but that shit isn't optimal for anything.
>>
File: 1440733718626.jpg (52KB, 494x500px) Image search: [Google]
1440733718626.jpg
52KB, 494x500px
>taking advice about lifting from a dyel faggot
If his 'studies' contradict what actually strong people say I'll just assume his methodology is shit and he's a shit scientist on top of being a shit lifter.
>>
>>35655735
the advice is from scientific literature, not the guy.
>>
>>35655297
Does anyone actually believe this? your arms should be at 45 degrees for bench to move the most weight. how do you do that with narrow grip?
>>
Why would anyone listen to this dyel?
>>
>>35655856
look at >>35655723
>>
seriously? fuck off dyel faggot
>>
>>35655723
2pl8 1RM is nothing and is just indicative of shit pressing strength in general, not to mention what form, if any at all guidelines were used other than

>lie down
>now press

we're talking about potential max loading, and if you think the 5% carries far past the beginner stage then you are mistaken.

and decline isn't relative in this situation. we're talking about hand spacing, not a different exercise.
>>
>>35655921
you mad
>>
>>35655953
>doesn't agree with you
>mad
ok now atleast i know youre trolling
>>
>>35655921
The graph clearly shows both wide and narrow grip max load increase when going from horizontal to decline so it is relevant.
Also do you have a source for your claim that these scientists research methods are wrong or is this just your broscience?
>>
>>35655991
decline is not relevant because the discussion is between wide and narrow grip for the horizontal press. why don't you actually watch the video.

>source a rudimentary methodological criticism
lol ok m80 you can stop pretending your all academic now
>>
>>35656040
the video is about wide vs narrow but you were talking about max load and i was responding to you.
ok well how do you know then, how do you know that 5% doesn't carry past beginner stage? and yeah, that graph showed that your actual max load will be higher for wide grip so if you do powerlifting then ok, but if you are growing muscle? and trying not to get injured? use narrow obviously (unless you REALLY want to target lower pecs i guess).
>>
>>35656096
I was talking about max load in conjunction with the other variables that have already been discussed, ruling out incline and decline as non-competitors.

>how do you know that 5% doesn't carry past the beginner stage
1) empirical evidence. ask anyone whos not a weakfag to max bench and max cgbp. observe.

2) simple biomechanical analysis - same reason you can squat more lowbar than highbar: because physics.

>growing muscle?
stimulation is not everything - one factor is being discussed literally right now (i.e. max load)

>and trying not to get injured?
more weight =/= injuries.

its like saying we're more likely to die in a car crash then bumping into people while walking so we shouldn't drive.
>>
>>35656250
observing people in the gym is not empirical evidence. its not the same as many people going through the same motion in a controlled scientific study. great, show me this simple biomechanical analysis source you have, or maybe your own workings.
as ive said, if you want max load then yes wide will give you a slight advantage, but the optimum compound movement for activating the most muscles to the highest extent? that would be narrow grip.
i didnt say more weight means injury, i said wide grip bench pressers are more likely to get injured than narrow grip bench pressers. and yes, i have a source http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Abstract/2007/10000/The_Affect_of_Grip_Width_on_Bench_Press.1.aspx
>>
>>35655297
you can tell it's accurate because he's in bad shape and it has sub-100 views

and it's even posted to 4chan
>>
>>35655548
No dude lol. It's the opposite, big upper pecs make your chest look full and aesthetic. Lower pec is also way easier to train and gets enough stress anyway.
>>
>>35655297
So why do I feel my chest more when I do it?
>>
>>35656351
empirical evidence doesn't mean it comes from a study. an empirical study utilises empirical evidence to guide it's hypothesis. pay attention in class.

>asking for sources for basic topical knowledge
>again
you think asking and providing 'sources' makes you appear more learned and credible, but to anyone who knows when/where sources are actually relevant, you look like a complete retard.

you want a source? read a physics book.

>reading obscure abstract
>concluding anything
let alone the fact that it says "may" increase injuries, it doesn't detail anything about form, training history of the participants, training advancement of the participants, literally ANYTHING that would be useful to this conversation.

in fact - that abstract doesn't follow any of the basic academic guidelines that entails a 'useful' abstract - probably demonstrative of how good of a study it is. good job trying to appear intelligent though.
>>
>>35656514
Improper form
>>
>>35656514
who cares, emg shows greater activation when using narrow grip, what difference does how you feel make
>>
>>35655297
this is your video isn't it?
>>
this dyel is giving advice?
>>
>>35656484
aesthetically both shouldn't exist without the other

>Lower pec is also way easier to train
wrong, lower pecs are the most difficult to fully develop
>>
>study isn't peer reviewed
>in some horseshit "strength and conditioning" journal

About as easy to get published as my study on how OP is a faggot
>>
>>35656525
>bench hits chest
>improper form
>>
File: 1452829736787.gif (538KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1452829736787.gif
538KB, 720x404px
>>35656711
My chest gains. Who cares about a video you made using unsourced infographics?
>>
>>35656711
EMG also says barbell bench and dumbbell bench are identical. Other EMG studies say decline bench has more activation. This study says nothing about the number of muscles recruited for the movement which is far more important. EMG activity might be higher, but only because small sets of muscles near the sensors are being taxed to a greater extent due to an inefficient movement.

I don't really care what lift type -> EMG says unless EMG -> gains. Right now, based on hundreds of years of experience, lift type -> gains says normal grip (wtf is wide grip? when I hear wide grip I think of people cheating and ruining their ROM on bench) is best.
>>
>>35655476
>EMG
>Scientific
If you had any clue about how it works and how it doesn't cover the whole physiology of muscle contraction, you'd know that EMG measurements are complete and utter bullshit. Actually, typical for med students: They take shit they don't understand, use it in inappropriate contexts and publish it on journals nobody gives fuck about. Mix in some complete lack of knowledge about statistics and data analysis, and you have your average med dissertation. Jesus, they might be good for saving lives, but they are easily the shittiest scientists I've ever worked with.
>>
File: 1352988226908.jpg (11KB, 180x233px) Image search: [Google]
1352988226908.jpg
11KB, 180x233px
>>35655297
>taking bait thread from a dyel seriously

come on guys
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.