[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physically Retarded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: mma_salto_flip.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mma_salto_flip.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Will asthma affect performance in boxing?

I was diagnosed with severe asthma at a young age, I've been hospitalized numerous times very close to death. It's hard to run long distance especially in the cold or it starts to act up. Lifting doesn't bother me however.

I've heard boxing is a shit ton of cardio, but I wasn't sure if that type of cardio would fuck me up just as much as running would.

Also, any easier types of cardio that won't take as much a toll on my lungs like running would?
>>
>>35652488
In boxing, once you slow down, you get taken apart by anyone at your or a higher level

Try riding a bicycle
>>
Running (roadwork) is a huge component of boxing so if you can't run 5 miles daily it's gonna be a problem. Can you run indoors where it is warm on a treadmill?

Also, I would say that the breathing is much more difficult in boxing as it is much more dynamic. I guess i would link it to sprinting then jogging
>>
I've had asthma since I was born.
Multiple visits to the doctor, with convulsions; almost dying.
My parents threw me to a pool when I was 2 and forced me to swim every day.
I also participated in 5km races when I was young, and I always finished, even if I passed out right after the finish line.

Stop being a pussy. And swim. A lot.
>>
>>35652488
Cardio is cardio, you moron. Boxing is very similar to running, which is why roadwork is so important. Get off the internet and read a fucking book.
>>
>>35652692
>>35652707
Thanks for the help, guys.

Yeah I can run indoors. Are there any ways I can work on practicing breathing and cardio drills I can start now to help? I would like to begin training in June
>>
>>35652752
>Are there any ways I can work on practicing breathing and cardio drills I can start now to help?
If you want to do boxing, I'd suggest you pick up skipping rope. It's one of the fundamental exercises of the sport
>>
>>35652722
Either this is bait or you're exaggerating. This is like telling a diabetic to just change his or her blood sugar to fix it.

If you are taking in very minimal oxygen you're body won't function, it's not a matter of willpower. Fuck off.

>>35652775
Thanks a lot
>>
>>35652801
Swimming is literally the best excersise you can do to help your lung capacity and fix your asthma but keep making excuses buddy
>>
>>35652801
>Thanks a lot
No problem.

You'll never be a champion, but that doesn't matter. Don't listen to retards, go there, work hard, and have fun
>>
>>35652852
Thanks, man. You really helped. I can't wait to start
>>
>>35652752
As one anon mentioned, jumprope - if you can aim to do 15 minutes non-stop that's good.

Bodyweight squats, push-ups and chin-ups are all going to be good. Also very light weight (literally one pound bitch weights) for arm conditioning. Look up "freddy roach conditioning" on jewtube and it'll be a video with some hot chick and Freddy going over some arm conditioning.

Also get used to breathing out when punching. I mention this to you now because of your asthma
>>
>>35652936
Thanks for the advice, I'll pick up a jump rope and start that asap
>>
>>35652889
No problem. Remember to stay on the balls of your feet at all time. You can start by picking up the way Cotto skips at the start of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMnNDOWG-Ww and then work up from there - gets fun when you reach the level where you can play with the rope

>>35652936
>Also get used to breathing out when punching.
He'll learn how to breathe as he learns how to punch. It's bad to try and learn how to punch on your own because there's a high probability you'll pick up bad habits. It's much harder to correct a bad habit than it is to learn something from scratch
>>
>>35653009
Got it, if there's anything else you can throw at me while you're at it I'd appreciate it
>>
>>35653060
Nah, you're good. Just start boxing as soon as you can
>>
>>35653009
> It's much harder to correct a bad habit than it is to learn something from scratch

I disagree. I know what you mean as most beginners will push their punches instead of snapping them, but it's better to do it wrong, build up reasonable amounts of conditioning so you have the shoulder/arm strength to fix it later.

As a beginner, so much of it is just building up the endurance to train properly.
>>
>>35653116
Is Google my best option when finding a boxing gym or is there a better way?
>>
>>35653135
>so you have the shoulder/arm strength to fix it later
you'll develop that "strength" as you learn how to box - the first few months are just learning basics

>>35653146
Well, yes and no. Google your options, go check them out, talk to the coaches, etc. Just go to a real boxing club, not some MMA/self defence/whatever shit
>>
>>35653203
I meant stamina, not necessarily strength. When i first joined a boxing gym, i didn't have the stamina to work on the fundamentals and would tire quickly, making the whole secession not as productive as it could have been.
>>
>>35652488
Shannon Briggs somehow managed to get to a high level in heavyweight boxing with astma. It will be hard for sure, but give it a shot.
>>
>>35654447
thanks, buddy
>>
>>35652488
>asthma
>close to death
That's not how asthma works, numbnuts.
>lifting doesn't bother me
Doing it wrong. How about you put some actual weight on the bar and don't take 30 minute rests between sets.
>>
>>35655427
I've had my blood oxygen level down between 20-30%, almost resulting in them cutting a hole in my throat and putting a tube down there to feed me oxygen.

So yes, it is life threatening.
>>
>>35652488
90% of boxing training is running m8
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.