[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quit smoking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 2000px-No_Smoking.svg.png (111KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-No_Smoking.svg.png
111KB, 2000x2000px
I used to smoke about 1.5 packs of cigs a day
About two months ago I decided to quit smoking and I weened myself down to one or two cigs a day last week.
I decided to say fuck it and try dropping it completely this week.
It's been four days since I had a cig, how long do the cravings stay this bad?

>inb4 just have better willpower
Never said I'm thinking about caving in, but I'm literally shaking from what I assume is nicotine withdrawal.

Also if anyone can post some literature or tips on how to do this better it would be much appreciated.

>inb4 this is no longer health&fitness, just fitness now
>Implying smoking and lung health don't directly affect your performance in /fit/ related activities.
>>
http://web-profile.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/allen-carrs-easy-way-to-stop-smoking.pdf
>>
>>35615803
cravings last 12 months
>>
I've been smoking a pack a day for 3.5 years. My mom got diagnosed with COPD a few months ago and now I just feel horrible because I need to quit for my mom's health but I can't be assed to, am I in the right for trying to manage my habit or should I have quit already?
>>
>>35615803
>toking the tobacco jew
ISHYGDDT
>>
The intense cravings only last about 2 weeks. It's much easier to deal with after that. If you ever feel like your about to give up chug a glass of water and/or go for a walk. I'm 4 months into no tobacco. I feel so much better already, stay strong.
>>
>>35615803

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16vhtjWKL0

posting this video while smoking a cigarette

dont be me OP
>>
I quit smoking 3 days before christmas and it was the fucking worst. After the initial three days my sense of smell started coming back. On top of that, the money I save now is incredible. You can do it OP. Its not easy, but water and walks do help considerably. We're gonna make it bros.
>>
>>35615803
>how long do the cravings stay this bad?
4th day is usually the worst.
After a week, you're over most of the physiological addiction.
After a month, you're over most of the psychological addiction.
You'll still get a pang once in a while, in situations that are hard-wired to smoking in your brain.
Then comes the hardest part, which most people fail: To never smoke a cigarette again, despite the fact that you don't feel addicted to it anymore.
>>
>>35615848
I love you anon

>>35615869
Well shit

>>35615892
I lost my mom to lung cancer anon, she didn't even smoke.
I'm stopping because she asked me to on her death bed.
To this day I feel somewhat responsible,
thinking that it may have been my second hand smoke that got her sick in the first place.

>>35615936
Thanks anon, I appreciate it
>>
>>35616059
>thinking that it may have been my second hand smoke that got her sick in the first place.
god shoot me in the mouth
>>
>>35615803
It's shitty for the first week. Gets easier after that but shit you associate with smoking will always be a trigger. I quit in early 2009 after smoking a pack a day for about a decade.
>>
>>35615803
Cravings are hard breh.

You want to use some kind of positive method of coping. Something systematic. Self grooming routine, stretching routine, dissembling and reassembling a gun, doing your laundry, etc. Every time you beat the cravings with that method, the method itself becomes stronger at dealing with cravings, because brains are stupid.
>>
>>35616059
So interestingly. Despite there being less and less smokers, and less and less second hand smoke exposure, lung cancer rates are spiking in the never smoked population.

Its almost like a portion of lung cancers were miss-attributed to being caused by smoking.
>>
I tried vaping for a bit and weened myself down to no nicotine juices then finally quit altogether.
>>
protip: Alan Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Read the book and You'll stop automatically, and effortlessly or your money back.

Seriously.
>>
>>35616318
So that's why it didn't work for me.
I pirated it.
>>
>>35615923
Yeah, I dun goofed. They jewed me good.

>>35615957
Thanks anon, that's what I'm trying to stop being

>>35616014
Yeah, I've noticed that my lungs feel a bit better even though its only been four days, but I started to smell smoke on my breath even though I haven't smoked. Is that just from my lungs being full of the shit for so long?

>>35616051
What do you suggest to avoid relapse at that point?

>>35616140
Sorry anon, didn't mean to bum you out
>>
>>35616251
Doesn't cancer end up altering your DNA once you get it making your spawn more susceptible to suffer from it too?
>>
>>35616980
Perhaps, but i don't think that matters to this case.
1. lung cancer is rare for anyone under 50. It is also fairly uncommon for anyone over 50 to reproduce. As such a drastic increase in lung cancer is not likely to be cancer mutated dna passed to children. Additionally lung cancer has a 75% fatality rate, so unless people get pregnant while cancerous, it is even less likely for them to reproduce.

2. total incidents of lung cancer are going down. If I implied that smoking does not increase the risks of cancer, I apologize. The science is pretty clear. However nowadays over a third of lung cancer is not associated with smoking at all. And second hand smoke cancer is linked to a very small fraction of lung cancers anyways.

What I propose is that the link between smoking and lung cancer is overstated. If a third of lung cancers are not linked to smoking. (And nowadays 20% occurs to nonsmokers) Then it is likely that a percentage of lung cancers linked to smoking are done so falsely. Causes could be laziness "oh he was a smoker, that probably did it." bad record keeping "We never detected asbestos in the apartment that was torn down 10 years ago, but it is too late too double check, it was probably his smoking that did it then." Faulty equipment "our radon meter was broken, but we don't know when it broke, so we can't go back and retest for all the dead people marked as smoking related, it was probably the cigarettes that did it anyways." Or as you pointed out hereditary, or mutated hereditary cancer, "Both his parent had lung cancer, but it was probably the smoking."

The actual amount of over stating is hard to measure. I once heard a statistician claim that upwards of 20-50% of lung cancers attributed to smoking were wrongly done so; but i don't remember his exact methodology, so it could be incorrect. However if 33% of all lung cancers are none smoking related, then the 3% attributed to second hand smoke could well be false attributions.
>>
>>35615803
i was smoking half a pack a day this semester due to school stresses and the fact that i really liked smoking while studying. I came home from break and dropped it overnight, now cigs make me sick. wtf?
>>
>>35617146
Whoops got distracted, never finished point 2 before going off on a tangent. My point is that if dna changes was increasing hereditary cancer, then total incidences would do up. Which they are not. The fact that they are going down, along with smoking, while none smoking lung cancer is increasing shows that it is being misdiagnosed.
>>
>>35615803
ba bold da banii in plm
>>
I smoked for about 5 years since i was 17

One time i had chest pain lasting 2 weeks and i was scared shitless knowing it could be copd or cancer. Havent touched a cig since.
>>
>>35615803
>tips on how to do this better
Figure out how much you're saving each year and use that as a budget to start building a home gym.
>>
>>35617209
Ah okay, thanks for that clarification anon.
That makes me feel a bit better about my moms situation.
I'm still determined to stop for her though. :)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.