[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is deadlifting with a hook grip bad for the joints in your thumbs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: hook-grip.jpg (2MB, 4558x2100px) Image search: [Google]
hook-grip.jpg
2MB, 4558x2100px
Is deadlifting with a hook grip bad for the joints in your thumbs? I've been using a hook grip for all by deadlift sets for a few months now, with weights up to 315lbs, but today I tried 335lbs and felt like my thumbs were being pulled apart at the joints. Had to quickly put it down about as soon as I locked out. Is this feeling normal when working with heavier weight and I just have to get used to it, or is there a significant risk of me dislocating a thumb if I continue using a hook grip on heavier weights?
>>
>>35604360
Yeah, I wouldn't do hook grip. You're pulling the joint and tendons, and with 355lbs. pulling on them, that's not good.
>>
>>35604360
i pull 495 for 2 with hook grip and have never experienced this feeling.you might be doing it wrong op
>>
>>35604637
Olympic lifters use hook and they put a lot of explosive force through their thumbs
>>
>>35604757

...but for very short periods of time
>>
>>35604700
>>35604757
OP here, after looking closely at the image that I googled for this thread, I noticed that only the index finger is over the thumb, while I've been doing it with both the index finger and middle finger over the thumb, and my index finger would be on or near the knuckle of my thumb. I'm wondering if that could be the problem, I think I'll try doing it more like the image next time I deadlift.
>>
>>35604889
No its not the problem, you're a fucking pussy and 335 is a shit lift. Fucking hell get out.
>>
>>35604889
The guy in the picture just doesn't have long enough thumb to get both fingers.
>>
>>35604908
You sure showed him
>>
>>35604360
I have a 550 hookgrip pull and I've never experienced any pain like this; perhaps you're doing it incorrectly.
>>35604700
>495x2
Nice, yesterday I pulled 500x2 then I did a single off a three inch deficit.
>>
>>35604889
Naw, that's either a very thick bar or some very very small hands. I'm 170cm and even I can get both fingers over my thumb.
>>
>>35604360
that pic isn't the proper way to do a hook grip
>>
>>35605032
Yeah well i did 505x2 then did a single off a four inch deficit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15caSvMxt3s
>>
>>35604360
That aint how you hook grip man, you want as many fingers wrapped around your thumb as possible. Yeah it hurts but you'll get used to it. I got tiny hands but still wrap 3 fingers, it just takes practice.
>>
>>35605032
>>35607775
oh yea? well my god's dick is bigger than your bologne sandwich!
>>
Only real downside to pulling with hookgrip is youll be more likely to fuck up your nerves
>>
>>35604360

Hook grip is a crutch. Just strengthen your hands and you won't need it.
>>
>>35604853
doesnt change the fact that ilya cleaned 246kg the other day with hook grip

and besides, cleans are faster than deadlifts, and faster means more hurtier
>>
>>35604360
I was a pretty serious rock climber before lifting. When I very first started I was at 3pl8 dl and picked it up double overhand standard grip
My point:
You're fucking weak. Get the fuck over it. However much you can lift with the form I described is how much you dl. Anything else is bullshit. You're just fucking weak. You're just like a woman
>how do I get better at dl guys? Surely not proper form, good diet, and lifting heavy! I bet it's my grip since I'm so flawless nothing else could possibly be incorrect
>>
I use hook grip for farmer's walks mate, you're not goint to rek your thumbs deadlifting 350 with a hook grip. It's probably about on a par with tearing your bicep with mixed grip in terms of likelihood
>>
>>35612486
>However much you can lift with the form I described is how much you dl
wew lad
>>
Due to a back injury I can't do mixed without it swelling up. Recently discovered hook and have gone up to 405x3 only thing is make sure to chalk up your thumb and it will shred the skin on the thumb
>>
Yall got some small hands and short fingers, hook grip hurts like hell for my lanklet fingers
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephfXmedHU0

man up faggots
>>
Use wrist straps to share the force of the lift among more of your forearm flexors and extensors. Also use an overhand grip. At the moment you are starting with your arms in an externally rotated position so some your muscles are stretched while others are contracted before the lift has even started. That is not good for preventing injury.
>>
>>35612602
put athletic tape on your thumbs rather than just chalk
>>35612666
>Use wrist straps to share the force of the lift among more of your forearm flexors and extensors
advising someone to use straps for 3pl8 is pretty fucking stupid mate
>>
>>35604637

If you're doing it wrong, yeah, you're pulling on the tendon hard. If you're actually hooking your thumb properly, the pressure from your grip and the bar completely locks it in place, so it won't put any unreasonable pressure on it. If your thumb hurts from hook gripping, you probably aren't doing it right.
>>
If it hurts don't do it man. I personally think hook grip is a crutch like wrist straps, and shouldn't be used unless you're pulling really great weight. Focus on training your grip for awhile and pull normally
>>
>>35612686
>the pressure from your grip and the bar completely locks it in place, so it won't put any unreasonable pressure on it. If your thumb hurts from hook gripping
no, at first hook grip hurts regardless of whether you're doing it right or not
it gets better with time though
>>
>>35612721
if it hurts from the beginning, how do you know you're doing it right?
>>
I only hook for cleans and snatches. Use double overhand or straps for dls and rdls
>>
>>35612756
>how do you know you're doing it right?
you'll know you're doing it right because it actually works
if you do it wrong the bar will roll out your hands
>>
>>35612680
I haven't needed anything but chalk so far I don't mind the skin damage on my thumbs
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.