[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What advice would you give to yourself when you first started lifting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (73KB, 417x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 417x433px
What advice would you give to yourself when you first started lifting?
>>
>>35588348
No one is watching you
>>
don't listen to /fit/
>>
>>35588348
>you dont need to buy chalk yet
>you dont need to buy wrist straps yet
>switch to low bar and work on your mobility until you can make it to parallel, and THEN add weights
>please keep at it, you're going to start and give up five times and waste years of potential progress. just fucking do it now please
>get your diet in order first, thats why you feel like shit all the time
>protein powder, creatine, EC stack, fish oil. thats all you need, now you dont have to buy all the other supplements that clutter up the cupboard
>the reason why that guy can lift more than you is because hes been here longer than you. come here long enough and youll be that big
>stick with free weights, you're going to hurt your shoulder on that fucking overhead press hammer strength machine twice before you realize this.
>dont spend an hour on the treadmill every day. you only need 20 minutes at the end of your workout.
>learn to love yourself
>stop thinking terrible things about yourself when you look in the mirror; see potential, not failure
>again, keep at it. please dont give up.
>>
Don't neglect chest
>>
File: 1445956102888.jpg (6KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1445956102888.jpg
6KB, 205x246px
>>35588505
The last part really struck a chord with me im six months in i can see my seratus and top 2 abs and if i lean back and flex i have a 6 pac

But my arms are smaller(almost fully lean)
And i have a lower belly pudge its very annoying thank you for themotivation
>>
>>35588348
Dont bother, you cant make upper body gains
>>
>>35588505
>you dont need to buy chalk yet
wat. its not like using chalk in the beginning would hurt in anyway
>switch to low bar and work on your mobility until you can make it to parallel
you don't need to work on your "mobility" to get to parallel on a lowbar squat. you should have learned to squat properly instead
>>
>>35588348
dont go crazy space it out over the week, do alot more body movement instead of weights first so your skin get used to it you'll have less stretch marks
>>
>>35588348
Do PPL and start cutting now
>>
>>35588348
Poo in the loo
>>
>>35588348
>Don't be a fat ass and change your diet
>Be patient

Really, I could have made so many great gains if I had known about proper dieting. I'd hit the gym hard for 3 months at a time, have a shit diet and therefore not see any change aside from getting stronger, then quit for a year to eat more shit because I didn't see the results I wanted.

I went through that same cycle for 5 years before I finally changed my diet and lifestyle. Been lifting consistently for the past 6 months now and while I'm not at my goal body yet, this is the most aesthetic my body has ever been.

As far as being patient goes, I've come to realize I won't have over night results, and that this kind of shit takes A LOT of time. I started in late July with the goal of having a semi-decent beach body by the following June. Seems a lot more realistic than my previous goals of going from bear mode to otter mode in 2 months without changing a single thing in my diet.
>>
>>35588573
I've got terrible problems with flexibility that I've only managed to work out in the last five months. I still can't squat below parallel without doing a long warm up, not even a simple bodyweight squat. It feels good to have that warm up get shorter and shorter each workout though.

That reminds me, I should've added this:
>when people say 'JUST SQUAT ITS EASY EVEN BABIES DO IT', don't listen to them, they are wrong. Everyone is different, and some people are incredibly inflexible. You are one of these people. That's why you can't squat. You will have to work harder than everyone else to get it right, but you can do it, because in the future you ARE doing it.
>>
>>35588348
Just do SS
>>
>>35588629
rippetoe has coached thousands of people to squat and of those many thousands, four people couldnt squat to parallel after being coached properly. no stretching required. and those four people had other problems than flexibility
>>
>>35588573
>wat. its not like using chalk in the beginning would hurt in anyway
Forgot to add why I advise against chalk - it gave me an excuse as to why I couldn't handle heavier weights when deadlifting. I assumed that my sweaty hands were the reason why I kept dropping 225lbs, when the reality was my grip just wasn't strong enough. Chalk made it so I could get up to 245lbs, and would also dry my skin enough to give me huge callouses that would rip off or blisters that would pop. I started doing farmer walks and static holds, and was surprised when my deadlift went from 225lb to 350lb (without chalk) in four months. I don't have a problem with the weight slipping out of my hands anymore, either.

I'm sure many people have a use for it, and I may even start using it again one day, but needing it to lift 225lbs is unnecessary.
>>
push pull legs is the KING fuck all these other programs you've been doing, put that USELESS shit known as bread down,no you cant have a fucking takeaway its got NOTHING in it to help your body repair and its expensive and tastes like shit compared to what you can cook for half the cost like stew,stew has made you make crazy gains eat that shit now full of everything your body needs to grow
>>
>>35588649
Seriously, I even tried yoga and eventually left because the instructor got frustrated that I couldn't do the 'beginner' poses, like the ones that seniors do. Imagine bending over at your waist, then raising your upper body a bit above parallel - that used to be as far as I could bend over. Now I'm almost able to touch my toes. It takes time, but it can be done.
>>
>>35588348
Fuck deadlifts.
>>
Don't neglect calisthenics.
>>
>>35588649
Rip coaches low bar, which requires considerably less mobility.
>>
File: Arnold-Schwarzenegger.jpg (21KB, 625x411px) Image search: [Google]
Arnold-Schwarzenegger.jpg
21KB, 625x411px
>>35588505
I would clarify that I probably only quit because I didn't ask to go work out with the huge dudes (albeit roiders). They just never invited me, despite being at their house as they were going.

Even if there's no group to go with, it's obviously worth it. If you don't have the motivation, you're probably not getting enough nutrition. Fucking calcium and magnesium, vitamin C and K, minerals..

If nothing else, I probably stopped going because I would only visualize the mechanical aspects of lifting weights and not how great it feels.. during lifting.

>The most satisfying feeling you can get in the gym is the 'pump'. It's as satisfying to me as coming is, you know? ..As having sex with a woman and cumming. So, can you believe how much I am in Heaven? I am, like, getting the feeling of cumming in the gym. I'm getting the feeling of cumming at home. I am getting the feelig of cumming backstage when i Pump up -- when I pose out in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling.
>>
> be consistent
>be more honest with myself about food and portion control

I'd have had a better body by now.
>>
It won't get her back. But that's okay, you're going to stop caring about her and be so much better off. Love you bro.
>>
Watch out for your fucking wrists. Seriously.
>>
>>35588629
Have you elevated your heels enough? I have bad mobi, but put my heels on a plate and can squat with good form.

Obviously improving your flexibility is important in the long run, but don't sacrifice sssquating
>>
>>35588348
Progressive Overload is all that matters.

It doesn't matter what kind of insane 8 hour arm workout you do, without progressive overload you'll get nowhere.

Progressive Overload is all that matters.
>>
Do strength training. You'll enjoy this much more when you are trying to lift more and more every time, and you will also get muscle as a bonus.
>>
>>35588348
eat more you fucking lanklet
>>
>>35588752

How do you do it? How do you get over a woman? Not even a gf, just a woman that could have been if I hadn't messed up.
>>
>do SS
>don't go as heavy on OHP
>do sumo deadlifts from the start, its gonna pay off
>don't lift for aesthetics, girls really don't care
>>
>>35588348
I would say read the fucking sticky Anon, further more..... BELIEVE the sticky.
>>
>>35588348
Don't take that fucking 'short break' you God damn faggot, and do your fucking squats, no leg press and isolation is not enough you fucking dyel skelly cunt. I would then rape myself and bust in past me's mouth because I know that faggot isn't getting enough protien.
>>
> Eat more
> Form before weight
> Don't neglect the warm up
> Stick to it
>>
When bulking

> Scale going up doesn't matter that much , look in the mirror and take photo of your face before you get chubby

When cutting

> Scale is everything , don't believe or think you are losing weight , measure it
>>
>>35588348

SS+GOMAD
>>
>don't fall for the bulking meme
>don't fall for the "you don't need to work out your arms" meme
>don't fall for the "you don't need to work out your abs" meme
>don't fall for the "cardio kills gains" meme
>less fucking carbs
>read /r/theredpill side notes to find out why you're such a fucking faggot
>use the gym to turn your depression into anger that will fuel your gains
>jack3d will give you heart palpitations, but you will literally rape the weights
>/fit/ is a pretty shit hole, but they'll be more honest on opinions friends/family won't
>don't squat too much, your thighs will literally explode and 1/2 your pants will no longer fit
>wear whatever the fuck you want, everybody watches everybody else in the gym
>make friends with those people that were nice to you, your new gym won't have any
>when that naked dude tries to start a conversation with you in the locker room, give him shit
>when that Asian dude tries to start a fight with you, give him shit
>>
>>35588348
It's okay to have gay thoughts to the point where you question if your really straight at all...n-no homo
>>
>>35588707
No, see, you're a fucking idiot. I can't go past parallel bending over, but squats aren't a problem. Serious here: if it takes ANY FLEXIBILITY AT ALL, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.
Learn to squat properly.
>>
Keep your mind at ease. Focus on good form, and eat a lot; the increased weight on the bar will come natrually. Don't worry or get pedantic. All you have to do is watch your form and get good nutrition.
>>
>just buy the damn SS book, you'll save months by learning the correct form.
>just eat the damn food.
>don't worry if you don't make those fast gains rip promised. Realize that YDDTP, fix the problem, and continue.
>>
Lying about your penis size aint gonna make it any bigger bro. Also watch out for that door........damn, same thing happened to me when I was paying attention to my future self. Guess I was distracted

I had an Olympian as a coach so I actually learnt good on weight training. No regrets here
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.