[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Muscle supplements linked to cancer risk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: muscle_shake_1170-770x460.jpg (132KB, 770x460px) Image search: [Google]
muscle_shake_1170-770x460.jpg
132KB, 770x460px
A new study links taking muscle-building supplements, such as pills and powders with creatine or androstenedione, with an increased risk of testicular cancer.

Moreover, says study senior author Tongzhang Zheng, the associated testicular germ cell cancer risk was especially high among men who started using supplements before age 25, those who used multiple supplements, and those who used them for years.

“The observed relationship was strong,” says Zheng, who led the study at Yale University before joining the Brown University School of Public Health as a professor of epidemiology.

“If you used at earlier age, you had a higher risk. If you used them longer, you had a higher risk. If you used multiple types, you had a higher risk.”

The study is the first analytical epidemiological study of the possible link between supplements and testicular cancer, the authors write in the British Journal of Cancer. Mounting evidence that at least some supplement ingredients may damage the testes inspired the study.
>>
>>35585207
Zheng’s research team conducted detailed interviews of nearly 900 men from Massachusetts and Connecticut—356 of whom had been diagnosed with testicular germ cell cancer, and 513 who had not.

In the interviews, researchers asked the men not only about their supplement use but also about a wide variety of other possible factors such as smoking, drinking, exercise habits, family history of testicular cancer, and prior injury to their testes or groin.

After tallying their data and accounting for all those possible confounders, as well as age, race, and other demographics, the researchers found that the men who used supplements had a 1.65 odds ratio (a 65 percent greater risk) of having developed testicular cancer compared to the men who did not use supplements.

The researchers defined “use” as consuming one or more supplements at least once a week for four consecutive weeks or more.

The odds ratios increased to 2.77 (a 177 percent greater risk) among men who used more than one kind of supplement, and to 2.56 among men who used supplements three years or longer. Men who started using supplements at age 25 or younger also had an elevated associated odds ratio of 2.21, the researchers calculated.

http://www.futurity.org/testicular-cancer-muscle-supplements-896242/
>>
Cancer is linked to cancer risks. Who give a fuck? Unless im getting ass cancer a week into doing something then it doesn't really matter. Its these fuckers that say breathing air is linked to cancer risks and want me to stop breathing and instead pay for air in a can that THEY manufacture
>>
≥pills and powders with creatine or androstenedione

Wow, great description. "Supplements" is a very broad ass term.

Cancer and steroids is nothing new.
I don't know about creatine though
>>
>>35585227
>>35585232
complain all you want, but people should have a right to know that what they're putting into their bodies will give them cancer
>>
>my plant based organic protein giving me cancer?

nah lol
>>
>>35586217
EVERYTHING GIVES YOU CANCER
LITERALLY THE ONLY THING TO DO IS BECOME AN ANARCHO-PRIMITIVIST AND GO LIVE IN THE FOREST
>>
>>35585207
I would say that 100% of roiders have "done" (sounds retarded bc they are not illegal) supplements/protein, and I would say that 100% of roiders use protein powder and/or supps long term.

I would say that explains it. Add to that that around 10-15% of supps are laced with roids (cough cough bb;com scandal) and I would say that we can quite safely say that it is the roids doing this and creatine will not give you cancer.
>>
ok let me get this straight

meat, bread, supps, fish oil, city living, country living, smoking, drinking, soda, water, and electronic devices all cause cancer now

what doesnt cause cancer?
>>
>>35586273
Agreed.
What would fuck with cell division breh? HGH/roids
Whey protein
>>
>>35586293
Sorry. Meant to add a question mark after hgh and whey.
>>
By the time I get cancer from it. Cancer will be as easy to cure as a common cold.
>>
I suspect there would be a strong correlation between increased cancer among people using these supplements, and the number of people within this group also using actual steroids (a variable that is probably not controlled within this study.)
>>
>>35585207
How about you link the study in question?
>>
>>35585207
>muscle building supplements

Classifying the subject as this automatically negates anything else written. There is no way any scientific rigor can be applied to such a broad range of substances and treat them as one.
>>
I've out-lifted cancer on many occasions. It's no big whoop.
>>
>>35586273
>I would say that 100% of roiders have "done" (sounds retarded bc they are not illegal) supplements/protein, and I would say that 100% of roiders use protein powder and/or supps long term.

Anyone who knows anything about anything doesn't bother with any supps, aside from MAYBE creatine. And most roiders are not gullible teens, rather experienced lifters.
>>
http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v113/n11/full/bjc2015294a.html

>Previous research shows that the frequency of anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) use within practitioners of recreational physical activity can be as high as 30 (Abrahin et al, 2014) to 50% (Dodge et al, 2011). Therefore, there is high probability of concomitant AAS and MBS use. In addition, AASs have been associated with the development of some types of cancer. Nandrolone and stanozolol, two of the most used AASs, have proven to enhance Leydig cell proliferation, increasing the risk of tumour development in rats (Chimento et al, 2012). There is also suggestive evidence that involves AAS in Leydig cell tumour growth in humans (Belli et al, 2013). In this scenario, AAS could be playing an undetected role in malignancy development instead of or in conjunction with MBS.

>Moreover, two recently published articles detected the presence of AAS in products marketed as dietary supplements (Abbate et al, 2014; Odoardi et al, 2015). Thus, the MBS consumed by Li’s study participants could have been contaminated with AAS. This highly probable mix of substances does not allow us to convincingly blame one specific compound.

It's not creatine. Fuck off.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.