[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pls help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: boxing.jpg (38KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
boxing.jpg
38KB, 620x465px
What do I need to do to make the boxing club team at my uni next year? Tryouts are in October and are pretty competitive. Looking mainly for a workout regimen but any dietary/lifestyle recs are also welcome. The team says no boxing experience necessary and the tryouts are pretty physically demanding. Around 125 people started out at the tryouts this year and at the end there were only 50 because people dropped out throughout the week. Should I start practicing boxing at all or should I just focus on getting in the best shape possible?

Atm I am ~195, 6' 1" and working out 6-7 days a week, doing SS 3 times a week and 3 days of rowing interval training. My bf% is prolly 21%-22%. I am still a fatass but over the last year I've lost about 45 pounds so I am less of one than I used to be.
>>
Did very limited MMA at one point, and there is really only one answer here.

CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO
>>
>>35558593
A real boxing gym doesnt are how /fit/ you are when you start, they care if you have the ambition and heart to keep going no matter what. If the tryouts are all about phys cond its a shit gym and youd be better off starting aa fight club and watching technique videos

My granfafther ran a boxing gym, uncle was pro, great uncle was also pro. I ran a fight club in high school
>>
>>35558593
lifting weights is gonna disable your ability to punch as well.
>>
>>35558728
> My granfafther ran a boxing gym, uncle was pro, great uncle was also pro. I ran a fight club in high school

How early should you start to go pro?

>>35558750
Shouldn't it increase it?
>>
>>35558593
Been doing karate since 2005, and other martial arts in the mix too. I feel like I can answer this question.

Focus on cardio and bodyweight stuff. I'm talking jogging, pushups, sit ups and all that shit. That's how you get better at martial arts. You need to have stamina and endurance. The will to push through hardship is great, but if you're just reaching that point when everybody else is almost dead, then you're going to easily trump them.

Lifting is fine, and helpful, but if all you do is lift without cardio, you'll struggle in sparring, and getting in.

Finally, if they say Jo boxing experience necessary, don't "box". You learn a fckload of bad habits, and waste your time, and basically suck ass and detract from the team. When they say no boxing experience is necessary, what they really mean is "we want to train you ourselves, in a non retarded way".

Good luck OP. Also, might be worth talking to the trainer or whatever and asking for tips.
>>
>>35558800
ty for the advice

Do you think it's reasonable for me to continue doing SS and cardio to get down to about 170-175 lbs and then start focusing on bodyweight exercises/cardio more intensely or just start on it now? With my lifestyle rn I can see myseslf probably getting to ~175 by May.
>>
>>35558796
I'm pretty sure it's just the broscience of boxers that lifting hurts your punches. Similar to cardio ruining gains.
>>
>>35558879
LOL no, it's true. not just for boxing but for any striking sport/martial art.

the LAST thing you want to do is make your arms and body HEAVIER than it needs to be
>>
>>35558913
source on that?

i boxed for quite a while and lifted pretty consistently
>>
File: McGregorHollowayScared.jpg (360KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
McGregorHollowayScared.jpg
360KB, 2400x1600px
>>35559214
do you want to throw punches slower than your opponent or faster?

lighter arms senpai
>>
>>35558796
No your flexibility and speed will decrease from lifting. you can go pro at any age younger than 30 or so. If by pro you mean ameteur. The golden age of boxing is over
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.