[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should people be vegan? Discuss. I wanna hear all arguments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (218KB, 1211x721px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
218KB, 1211x721px
Should people be vegan? Discuss.

I wanna hear all arguments - ethical and health. Both sides can give me their best shot. Let's have an all-out debate.
>>
Vegans are fags
>>
>>35549634
Checks out
>>
>>35549634
/thread
>>
bump
Let's try this again.
>>
If you're serious about lifting, a vegan diet will not work because vegan proteins aren't complete, which leads to longer recuperation between workouts. Ottermode is all you achieve.

>inb4 posting that Jon Venus vegan guy that has a great body, he's an exception and would look fantastic as a meat eater
>>
I would say no. If it were possible to survive a vegan diet without grain, maybe. Our bodies simply process animal protein more efficiently than vegetable matter.

We should still strive to make the livestock industry closer to how our ancestors raised meat. The modern meat industry is a fucking joke from a nutritional standpoint.
>>
Although B-12 is the only essential nutrient in animal products only, some non-essential nutrients are only in meat or only in meat in significant quantities. If you refuse animal products your diet is less rich in nutrients. If you want to say it isn't that much less or it isn't an issue etc. then you need to show it. The human body self-produces some of those non-essential nutrients but I don't think internal production should be relied on as the sole source.

Humans ate a meat and seafood rich diet for hundreds of thousands of years, to imagine that access to all that rich food had nothing to do with our brains enlarging seems naive - especially when you see the association of oily fish with less dementia.
>>
>>35550146

It's all about the fish. Omega 6's are fairly easy to come by, but the body needs a 1:1 ratio of omega 3's to 6's. Being vegan means you can have this balance, but it would be godawful expensive to maintain.

Also, flax seed tastes like fish. I'd rather just eat the chicken of the sea and be done with it.

It's very possible to be a vegan and maintain a healthy weight, and remain well balanced in nutritional needs, but the problem is that most people that commonly come up as spokespeople for veganism are off the deep-end. The key to the human diet is variety-- Not living off of romaine lettuce and bananas. Again, it's also incredibly expensive to get a well balanced meal as a vegan, because most of your variety needs to be from fresher sources of foods, and it becomes depressing if you're eating a lot of raw fruits/veg/nuts.

I've eaten out with many vegan friends, and the food is good, but it's expensive, and there's an unwanted atmosphere around eateries that specialize in vegan dishes. Kind of a "fuck you" to the normal Joe. also, after paying 10 dollars for a small plate of baked cauliflower at said restaurant, I can't imagine what it must be like to never get to enjoy casually going out to dinner as a vegan.

Maybe it's better, but it's way too expensive. I'll take my cheap eggs, fish, and dairy products over the smug satisfaction of "saving the earth one meal at a time."
>>
Thing is, the line separating the things that are inanimate and disposable and the things that are 'living' and 'conscious' is more or less arbitrary.

Are plants not alive? Is fruit not the product of a plant, taken without consent? Can plants feel pain?
We assume animals feel pain because their reaction to it is similar to humans (screaming, jolting, receding etc.), but its still an assumption. We can't measure pain so how can we know whether or not plants feel it?

My point is, why have vegans drawn the line at animals? What's their proof that plants are, unlike animal meat, perfectly OK to eat?
>>
>>35549842
>believing this
>>
>>35549618
I'm not vegan because animal products

a) Taste great
b) Are convenient

I don't care about muh animals.
>>
>>35550619
Do you think we only care about (some) animals because they have human-like characteristics?
That's kind of what I was getting at in >>35550433

Why shouldn't we treat plants as equals too? Cuz they're not cute and fluffy and look less like humans?
>>
File: shit what.png (148KB, 1042x375px) Image search: [Google]
shit what.png
148KB, 1042x375px
>>35549618
>>
>>35549634

First response best response.
>>
>>35550433
the answer to all your questions about plants is yes

they use hormones to signal when their in distress alerting other plants around them

they use a growth hormone called auxin to artificially produce larger fruit with no seeds a sexually
>>
>>35550249
>It's all about the fish.
it still looks to me like red meat has a unique nutritional profile unreached by anything else.

>It's very possible to be vegan and remain well balanced in nutritional needs
Everything I read so far suggests the opposite - it is not possible to take in enough micro-nutrients unless you are supplementing a lot (a lot more than any vegan I have ever heard of) and even then they might not be absorbed well enough.
>>
>>35550433
because animals are sufficiently like humans to elicit sympathy - they bleed, they scream. Vegans are often moral in other ways in my experience, so they are always thinking about how to help others whether it's immigrants, minorities etc.
>>
>>35550665
fish are fairly unsympathetic, though - they don't cry or scream nor are they cute or fluffy.
>>
>>35550723
>they use hormones to signal
>they use hormones
>to signal
that implies intention and purpose, which is a pretty big assumption although no-one knows for sure.

it seems like you may as well say glass shatters into shards as a self-defence mechanism to stop animals from breaking it.
>>
>>35550818
But that's just bias then - we feel we relate to animals more than plants so they deserve to live

>>35550841
But they have eyes, mouths etc., they jolt and back away when they experience pain
But yeah, less human-like than cows/pigs so I guess thats why pescetarians exist
>>
>>35550868
fuck man go read up on your biology will you
fucking retard
and for the record i don't give 2 fucks if an animal or plant feels pain
food is food
i eat what i want
and i am content on my life choices
meat tastes good
>>
What if I just eat less meat for health reasons? Who's face can I rub that in?
>>
Can vegans still eat the pussay?
>>
>>35551151
yes my man.
and I eat it pretty well.
my beard usually looks like i dipped it in a sink full of water after I'm done.

working out those chin muscles is definitely worth it.
>>
For lifting, vegans proteins are way higher in calories, so you have to cut way more often and lose more muscle on a cut.

Even though there is a lot of known health problems linked to meat, it appears that people who primarily eat white meat live as long or longer than vegans on average.

Healthly omnivores who make good choices have a lower environmental impact than vegans.

Except for religious reasons, there is no reason to go vegan.
>>
>>35550552
I'm speaking from experience faggot.
7 years lifter that went vegan for 3 months and it was shit. And yes, I was eating plenty of proteins
>>
>>35549618
people are real faggots these days.

>lift to look good (pls no fat)
>too much focus on what they eat
>cry if eat anything with a shadow
>hobbies go clubbing and instagram pics.

Be a real man faggots

>lift to be strong
>eat like man, eat meat, good food
>do manly things, hunt (for food not faggot trophy hunting), chop down trees for fire, camp, fix things.
>have education
>get shit done which needs to be done

We're omnivores for a reason, watch the fucking lion king its the circle of life faggots.
>>
>>35550981
>just bias then
it might be an instinctive reaction, it seems to be most common in urban city-dwellers though and not so much farming tribes etc.

some of the diets are for health reasons, I think pescetarianism is mostly health. I think there was a lot of sympathy for whales but they're mammals and not fish.
>>
File: Tokyo Ghoul.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo Ghoul.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>35551212
This. If we couldn't eat meat we wouldn't be able toor like poison, our bodies would get rid of it wholly and we would not use it protein synthesis or building muscle
>>
I'm vegan because I want to eat like I give a fuck.
>>
>>35551200
Health reasons too, perhaps.And ethical?
>>
>>35549618
>Should people be vegan? Discuss.
No, they shouldn't.
\thread
\thread
\thread
\thread
\thread
>>
>>35549634
Underrated post.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.