[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

File: unnamed (1).jpg (33KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
33KB, 512x288px
Hey /fit/

Monday next week I'll start SS. I've been fucking around half a year in the gym doing the same brosplit lol.

>Monday my deadlift was 45 lbs each side
>Tuesday same because I was still practising
>Wednesday I didn't deadlift
>Today I was checking my 1RM so I did a lot of deadlifs incresing 10 lbs each set.

So, these are my current stats:

DL 1x3 190 lbs (70 lbs each side, alternative grip kek, I feel it easier and comfy). I wanted to do more but some pussy cardiobunny wanted to use the squat rack

High bar ATG SQ with a pause of 2 seconds at the bottom 3x5 100 lbs (35 lbs each side)

BP 3x5 120 lbs (45 lbs each side)

These are my questions:

I do buttwink when I squat. I have no problems with ankles. I can ass to grass perfectly but I do buttwink. I put my knees forward than my feet as the highbar squat must be but I still do a buttwink. I was thinking maybe I do it because I'm a twig? Anyway, is this a problem while doing SS?

Can I do high bar atg squat? I want to high bar atg squat I feel it easier than low bar and haven't tried low bar properly.

Must I do powercleans in the next 2-3 weeks? Yeah I want to be strong but I dunno... it's hard to learn the proper form.

I'm pretty excited to start this routine.
>>
Ahhhh the main question is:

Should I start with my current stats?
>>
>>35533752

>it's hard to learn the proper form.

It's not. It's very easy.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Don't worry about buttwink. You can do highbar if you want. Keep deadlifting all days until your deadlift is over 100kg or so, then go to the next phase.
>>
>>35533752

Also, read this picture related.

And watch these vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drttm5r66A
https://www.youtube.com/user/artofmanliness/search?query=rippetoe
>>
>>35533752
>deadlifting
>squat rack

Go to google and research deadlifting. You are not doing it right
>>
Anybody else on this board so thirsty they'd tongue punch trappy at the bottom of her squats?

I KNOW I AM
>>
>>35533965
>>35533975
Thanks man, nice info
>Keep deadlifting all days until your deadlift is over 100kg or so
C-can I???

>>35534151
I do deadlift near the squat rack but eh I think there is a little more of space
>>
File: 1442194985116.jpg (74KB, 529x450px) Image search: [Google]
1442194985116.jpg
74KB, 529x450px
>>35534266

>tfw no horny bf to spot my squat with a boner

>>35534404

Yes, that's how the program is supposed to go. Also, remember that you can add a fuckton of weight to the deadlifts on the first few workouts. It's supposed to go up to 100kg really fast.

You shouldn't worry too much about butt wink on the squat (specially not important on the oly-style highbar), but if you wanna reduce it do stretches like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7nALXgXz0
Most people find it that not having tight hamstrings help a lot.
Also do ankle extension mobility work like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISJxsccN1E
>>
>>35534427
>>35534266

this place has ruined me

now i thirst for a tranny that posts on an image macro fitness board

they said as long as i stayed away from drugs i'd be good

they never warned me about 4chan
>>
>>35533752
There's no need to go ATG if you aren't flexible enough, go as deep as you can without buttwink. Buttwink fucked up my back bigtime
>>
File: 1442194985085.jpg (172KB, 840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1442194985085.jpg
172KB, 840x1080px
>>35534751

I'm sorry bby ;_; I didn't want you to feel this way
>>
>>35534427
>supposed to go up to 100kg really fast
not him but is fast like 2 weeks? a month?
>>
>>35533752
>Can I do high bar atg squat? I want to high bar atg squat I feel it easier than low bar and haven't tried low bar properly.
atg is not a low bar cue at all. most people will have their lumbar curve if they go way below parallel in low bar squats.

the lowbar squat is a better strength exercise in general, you should look into learning that over the high bar squat.

you're not doing SS, SS doesn't include high bar squats. also SS tells you when to begin doing power cleans. it also has great guides on how to learn PCs.

>DL 1x3 190 lbs (70 lbs each side, alternative grip kek, I feel it easier and comfy). I wanted to do more but some pussy cardiobunny wanted to use the squat rack
you should only use alternative grip when your normal grip isn't strong enough. you should absolutely warm up with normal grip desu.

also don't be such a cuck. sure dont occupy a rack for DLs but if you need the bar then you need the bar and she has to wait on that.
>>
File: 1446351358390.gif (1MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1446351358390.gif
1MB, 360x240px
>>35535166

Depends on where exactly you start, but you should be able to add around 6-8kg to your deadlift on every workout for a one to two weeks. This means a 36-48kg increase in two weeks, since you will be deadlifting 3 times per week, in an optimal situation. Then you would tapper it down to 4kg once you feel it's getting too hard to keep adding 6kg, and eventually to 2kg per workout. At this point, you will be doing a later phase of the program where you will be switching the deadlift workouts with power cleans.

Here's what's written in the book by Rip himself >>35533975

And I can confirm from experience that trainees are easily able to add 6-8kg per workout for at least one week. Considering most trainees start at around 60-70kg, it should take less than two weeks to reach 100kg.

Don't sweat it too much if it's taking longer for you, though. Just keep adding weight, make sure your form is good, and you will be there in no time. And remember, you have to eat and sleep well.
>>
>>35535198
oh ok, because i'm a weak af 5'8'' 70kg 18 yr old who started at 30kg deadlifts and have managed to bring it up to 40kg after 2 days so i wasn't sure if this progress was okay or not
>>
File: 1442195649945.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442195649945.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
>>35535217

Try to take bigger jumps in the next workouts, 8kg or so. See how it goes for you. You are young and male, as long as you eat your body will adapt incredibly fast.
>>
>>35534427
Trappy, ive seen your pictures. Pretty sure you made me 5% gayer
>>
>>35535228
Don't do this. 8kg jumps are too much for a newbie and too risky if you can't pull it off. He would be right if you were overweight though.
>>
>>35535228
yeah but im really weak (like seriously i went gym for a while before ss and started on 4x5 of the bar) and im paranoid i'll end up going too fast and end up getting too heavy
>>35535242 pretty much
>>
File: 1442194985173.jpg (113KB, 687x914px) Image search: [Google]
1442194985173.jpg
113KB, 687x914px
>>35535242

>too much for a newbie

It's pretty much what Rip recommends, though. >>35533975
Of course this is in general and some people are below average when it comes to strength, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't try a bigger jump on the deadlift at least once to see how he handles it.

There's no "big risk" involved, that's too much fearmongering. At the worst he will get tired and will feel lots of DOMS on the next day, but that's part of the game.

>>35535259

A big part of strength actually comes from the nervous system, not your muscles. If you stay in the mentality that you are weak, your body will be hesitant to produce enough strength/power.

If you give the stress to your body, it will adapt incredibly quickly. Don't be afraid of trying to be stronger, it's just a bar with weights on the floor. It's not gonna kill you if you fail.
>>
>>35535259
2.5kg each side is more than enough for a hungry skeleton to jump

that said if you aren't nailing every rep you shouldn't be increasing the weight

deadlifts and squats aren't that hard to learn how to do properly and the last thing you want to do is start doing them wrong now, find out at 150kg and start learning how to do it all again
>>
>>35535292

>that said if you aren't nailing every rep you shouldn't be increasing the weight

Don't listen to shitty advice like this. You increase the weight on EVERY workout. That's the point of the program.

Like Rip once said when asked "what's the biggest mistake you see novices do?"
- Not adding weight to the bar
>>
>>35535304
good idea

doesn't matter how much you fuck it up
just slip a disc dude it'll be fine
>>
>>35535289
ok fine trappy i'll try going up by 8 in my next workout, you've convinced me with your confidence
>>35535292
i mean i am nailing 5 reps each time i'm just paranoid for the long run
>>
>>35535306

>he thinks he will slip a disc if he fails a deadlift rep

Be careful not to fail on the bench or your pecs will tear, and don't fail on the squat or your knees will burst.
>>
>>35535315
if you're doing them properly it's not a problem
its when you start ego lifting, which doesn't sound like a problem, you'll fuck your shit up

>>35535322
>unironically telling people to not care about form
>>
>>35535332

>implying "not caring about form" equals "going to failure"

You know you can have perfect form even if you fail, right?

>saying ego lifting unironically

He's doing a fucking strength program for beginners, he's supposed to lift heavy so that he adapts to lift heavy.
He's not gonna die from deadlifting 50kg.

Stop telling people to give up and not try to get stronger.
>>
File: key being idiots.jpg (192KB, 1351x505px) Image search: [Google]
key being idiots.jpg
192KB, 1351x505px
>>35534404
You seem like you need
>>
File: 1440150792488.jpg (62KB, 472x676px) Image search: [Google]
1440150792488.jpg
62KB, 472x676px
>Rippetoe with 3 decades of experience coaching novice lifters tells you to add a bunch of weight to the deadlift

>random anon from 4chan, a community where 50% of the people don't lift, and more than half of those that do haven't been lifting for more than 3 months - tells you to not add weight to the bar and go slowly

Hm, tough choice on whom to listen to...
>>
>>35535345
i never said anything about failure
i said training the movement wrong is a bad idea

and there is no point getting "stronger" if you're doing shit that is going to end up with you in the hospital because you were impaitent and didn't learn how to actually do the movement

>Stop telling people to give up and not try to get stronger.
never said this
you're retarded

rip says himself if you get all the reps with proper form then you go up

he doesn't say go up everytime, only when you get the reps properly
>>
>>35535378

>he doesn't say go up everytime, only when you get the reps properly

That's not what he says at all.

And the dude can increase two or three more kilos per workout without ruining his form.

Stop being so dyel.
>>
>>35535391
try actually reading the book

from page 356, its about progression
he talks about how stupid weight jumps will cause problems
he talks about how if you don't use correct form you shouldn't increase the weight and he talks about not being a fucking retard who thinks he's better than the program and to do massive jumps
"If you insist on attempting unrealistic increases
between workouts, it is your fault when progress does not occur."
>>
>>35535431

>unrealistic increases

Doing 15 pound increases for the deadlift at first is not unrealistic, it's what he recommends.
He's talking about the people who have been training for a while and still think they can keep adding 4kg to the bench.

Follow his instructions here:>>35533975
Add weight on every workout
Make sure your form is good

That's it.

Don't be afraid of following the program.
Don't listen to random people on the internet, specially not on 4chan.
>>
>>35535465
add weight when your form is good

if it's not good at 1 plate it sure as fuck isn't magically going to get good at 1 and a half
>>
>>35535472

>add weight when your form is good

No.

You add weight.

Then you make sure your form is good.

Not the other way around.

The dude is a beginner, stop telling him not to progress when he could be getting strong incredibly fast.
>>
>started this argument
>>35535348
thx senpai
>>
>>35535304
>Don't listen to an anon on the internet without credentials or knowledge
>Instead listen to this internet coach without credentials, successfull trainees, that tells weightlifters that they should do lowbar squats!

>>35535484
>You add weight.
>
>Then you make sure your form is good
Because if you can't deadlift 80 kgs without rounding your back you're going to be able to deadlift 87,5 kg with perfect form? Nice logic.

I agree that beginners can probably work out minor issues and still be able to follow SS progression but why should you be in such a hurry? You're not getting a medal for squatting 3pl8 in 4 months instead of 5, you're not gonna reach 5pl8 faster if you sacrifice form for ego, and how your first 3-4 months of training looks like isn't gonna matter when you squat 6pl8.
>>
>>35535552
that guy is definition of a retard
rip says that you should always add weight when you do the reps properly ie good form and cleanly (not busting your nut, an actual phrase used in the book) but this guy thinks you should always add weight each time and forget form and that its going to come out of nothing

anyone with any understanding of how people learn movements, especially people who have never had any training, knows this is a bad idea and rip agrees
>>
File: 1443402662010.jpg (60KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
1443402662010.jpg
60KB, 514x536px
>ITT
>people who think adding a bit more weight to the deadlift is "sacrificing form"
>>
>>35535582
Nice meme friend, really ebin. No one has said that adding weight=sacrificing form. Sacrificing would imply that the form is good from the beginning. If someone has good form, it's no problem to add weight. If someone has bad form, it could be a problem if he adds weight since he's then going to continue lifting with bad form to get the bar up, and then stall and get fat like Rippetoe.
>>
>>35535616
dont even reply its just bait
>>
>>35535617
But I like replying to bait
>>
>>35533965
My deadlift is 120kgx5 at 76kg bodyweight is it time go to part 2 for me?
>>
>>35535552

Rip doesn't even coach online

Rip has had incredibly successful trainees. He just doesn't train people for olympics or competition, that's not his focus.

Lowbar is superior to highbar, that is just a fact. Literally everyone squats heavier with lowbar.

>>35535616

Nice b8 m8
>>
>>35535626
are you still progressing on part 1?
yes? no go to part 2
no? yes go to part 2
>>
>>35535636
yes? don't go to part 2*
>>
>>35535626

You mean if you should stop deadlifting 3 times per week, start doing power cleans and chinups?

Yes. That's how the program is supposed to go. You are not supposed to keep deadlifting 3 times per week forever.
>>
>>35535348
I think the stage 3 (B) is for those that are cutting or are women.

The final stage would be stage 3 (A) with weighted chin ups instead of BW chin ups.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
>>
>>35535627
>Rip doesn't even coach online
No but he's only considered good by internet lifters who have only read SS.

>Rip has had incredibly successful trainees.
Examples?

>He just doesn't train people for olympics or competition, that's not his focus.
Well yeah, that's because he can't. It's easier to coach beginners since it's almost impossible to fail to get them stronger.

>Lowbar is superior to highbar, that is just a fact.
Superior for weightlifting?

>Literally everyone squats heavier with lowbar.
Does lowbar give better carry-over to the snatch and clean&jerk?
>>
I started SL + GOMAD before SS. I am only deadlifting once a week with proper form. Thats fine too, right?
>>
>>35535683
yes
it would be twice every second week though
90% of beginner programs are the same they just have small differences that don't matter since you're going to get strong no matter what
>>
>>35535683
>I am only deadlifting once a week with proper form
Technically it's 1,5 times per week. Yes, it's fine. The difference between different beginner programs are miniscule. Consider buying microplates since it could be harder to progress 2,5 kg/session on OHP if you do 5*5. Any way the program tells you to drop down to 3*5 after a while so it isn't a big deal.
>>
>>35535289
Why do you think that I always experience pain in my lower back when deadlifting? I keep my back straight and I can't really notice a lot of errors in my form but still I get pain in my lower back during and after deadlifting every time. The pain always lasts for 1-3 days too.
>>
>>35533965
trappy u r a tresure to this board

now hurry up and b my gf
>>
Im starting to fall behind in DL, today I lifted 77kg but Squated the same, also I can't keep a straight line when im in position to DL, is it normal to feel pressure in your lower back while doing DLs?
>>
>>35535348
how heavy should the light squat be?
>>
>>35535663
So ignore the last part if im not cuting or a woman, right?
>>
File: 1439341640494.png (9KB, 339x302px) Image search: [Google]
1439341640494.png
9KB, 339x302px
>>35534427

POST ASSHOLE ALREADY YOU FUCKING SLUT
>>
>>35533975
So if you fail 1 rep weight shouldn't be added? I thought it was something like 2 or 3?
>>
>>35533965
>Don't worry about buttwink
not him, but I heard rounding of the lower back leaves the lower part of the spine unsupported by the muscles around it and I had the impression it was dangerous.
>>
>>35539061

You should add weight every time, even if it's just like 0.5kg.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.