[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /fit/ think of the paleo diet? Meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

File: caveman.jpg (48KB, 846x468px) Image search: [Google]
caveman.jpg
48KB, 846x468px
What does /fit/ think of the paleo diet? Meme?
>>
it's definitely a meme. that said, it's not necessarily a bad way to eat. fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat etc. are definitely things you can use in a good diet.
>>
>>35528472
>>35528486

I just read about it and was going to start a thread like this.

>it's not necessarily a bad way to eat. fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat etc. are definitely things you can use in a good diet.

Okay, but what about carbs? I read that even OATS aren't considered paleo. What the fucking fuck fuck? Bodybuilders, pro cyclists, basically all athletes that I aspire to be, ALL eat loads of fucking oats because they're the healthiest fucking energy you can put in your fucking body

And unless I'm wrong, there's nothing wrong with healthy complex carbs like brown rice and wholemeal pasta, right? I mean obviously not in excess, but chicken and rice is like the bodybuilding staple for fuck's sake
>>
>>35528472
Its a meme
>hur dur cavemen didnt eat this stuff
>forgets those nigs only lived 30 yrs max
>>
>>35528472
It can be pretty good. It just has a cult like status, and uses the shittiest reasoning to justify why you should eat that way.
>>
cavemen didn't eat oats or dairy
neither did they brush their teeth, wear appropriate clothing or drink clean water
>>
>>35528947
I wanna see these fags when they stop brushing their teeths stop using shampoo soap and deodorant and stop using modern medicine
>>
>>35528894
there are like 50 versions of paleo, because every paleo guru has a different list of what is approvedor not.

Some say it's low-carb, some say you can eat high carb vegetables, tubers and nightshades. Then there's those who say ancient forms of grains are OK, and only modern strains are bad...

None of them have good arguments for why cavemen wouldn't just eat anything they could get their hands on that didn't make them vomit it up.
>>
>>35528970
Those people already exist. They blog about it too.
>>
>>35529151
Most people who do crossfit also do paleo enough said mang
>>
>>>>35529167
> I refuse that these people exist around 5 years after the death of our lord zyzz

Some sources for some cringe?
>>
>>35528472
>What does /fit/ think of the paleo diet? Meme?
Meme. It's just a low-carb diet with a pseudoscientific veneer.
>>
>>35528894
It turns out oats are paleo, there was some evidence found recently of paleolithic humans grinding oats into flour.
>>
>>35528907
>life expectancy used to be 30
that was in the industrial revolution, it doesn't apply to any other past time (the paleolithic, ancient greece etc.).

the other confusing factor is they use infant mortality to calculate the average at 30years, so most children dying age 3months will cancel out the few who survive even though if you survived child-birth you had more or less the same life expectancy as today (70s or 80s),
>>
>>35528970
shampoo and soap are totally unnecessary, your skin and hair clean themselves - all shampoo and soap do is strip everything off, the dirt and the self-cleaning oils. You end up clean either way, but one way you buy industrially-produced chemicals.

I still brush my teeth but so do chimpanzees, they use a stick.
>>
>>35528472

I think it's a great diet. An awesome diet.
No processed food = health
>>
>>35529151
>why cavemen wouldn't just eat anything they could get their hands on that didn't make them vomit it up.
it isn't about why cavemen -wouldn't- it's why they -didn't-. Obviously humans will eat whatever is tasty, however we didn't evolve with access to HFCS, carbonated drinks, refined sugar or as the paleo-dieters have it, any type of agriculturally produced grain (but oats were discovered to be paleo recently).

It's about what our systems have evolved to run on, not that paleolithic humans were smarter or more "intuitive" - the difference between paleolithic humans and now is that back then they hadn't changed their lifestyle, or so the thinking goes. They were supposedly living the lifestyle around which we evolved the digestive system etc. which we have now.
>>
>>35529413
it's just retarded logic. good diet though.
>>
>>35529413
what is good/best for us =/= what cavemen ate
they ate whatever they could find and wouldn't poison them
now we have a bigger variety of food thanks to technology and geographical discoveries and some of that food is bad, like fastfood and candy but just because something is relatively new to our diet doesn't make it bad in any way
>>
>>35529499
honestly, fast food isn't all that bad, lets say if you were a caveman. For us, it's bad, because we don't burn 6000 calories a day.
>>
>>35528894
Some people may say oats aren't paleo, but in reality early human did eat wild versions of the grains we have today, including oats, wheat, barley, etc. You don't have to avoid grain carbs, just make sure any products are the whole grain (not whole wheat) version.

When you get right down to it paleo is just a fancy way of avoiding high GI foods, which we should all be trying to do anyway.
>>
It's healthy but unecessary. Eating more veggies, fruits, nuts, healthy fats, and fresh meat is going to be healthy diet.

Omitting grains is unnecessary but it's by no means detrimental.
>>
>>35529508
obviously. it just does more harm than good for an average person from 21st century so that's why I used it as an example
the fact that it would be fucking great for cevemen is actually a good argument against paleo, kek. they'd totally switch from meat and berries to McDonald's if they could and would probably live easier and healthier lives
>>
>>35528472
The premise is sound, in that it's a good idea to not eat anything that was invented in the last hundred years or so. It's stupid to try to exactly imitate the diet of a cavefag though.
>>
The majority of it is true, unprocessed foods are better for you. Normal people call it eating healthily, attention seeking faggots have to give a special name to it
>>
>>35528472
I like the idea. It's low carb, encourages eating various good foods with lots of micro nutritients that many people miss out on. Also it cuts back on lots of stuff that causes problems with digestion, skin and hair in a lot of people (dairy, eggs, white sugar and more). It's probably one of the more reasonable diets out there, even though it may sound weird at first.

>>35528894
Can someone quickly summarize what the benefits of oats actually are?
>>
The logic is completely flawed.

http://body.io/a-call-to-abandon-the-paleo-diet-and-the-pursuit-of-ancestral-health-part-1/

This is the only thing you ever need to read about Paleo
>>
>>35530831
Oats are low GI and high in soluble fiber. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>35531078
Judge the diet its self not the lore behind it.

At it's core paleo involves eating more fruits, veggies, nuts, meat, and healthy fats while minimizing the consumption of processed junk foods. These are all good things.

You can argue that removing grains and legumes is pointless but I can't see how anyone can argue that the diet is unhealthy.
>>
>>35532333
It's not unhealthy, it's uneeded restriction, based on science that makes no sense.
>>
diets don't work, IIFYM faggots
>>
>>35532958
Yes they do, learn how carbs/insulin works.
>>
>>35532970
IIFYM
>treat food like its fucking energy
>count macros
>find number that works for your goal
>progress
bro diet
>treat food likes its a chemical that you take orally
>have to follow strict timetables
>forget to eat/eat too much
>no progress/reverse progress
Keep it simple stupid.
>>
>>35532984
Carbs are a drug. Learn how they work nub.

Or keep eating inefficiently, and eat half the food I do at the same BF%. btw more food=higher quality of life. I'll say again learn how carbs/insulin works. Carbs ARE a drug, and should be treated as such.
>>
>>35533015
How many calories do you eat in a day.
>>
just dont eat processed shit and dont over eat. Count your calories and eat a lot of greens to feel full. Lean meats and grains. Try not to eat grains in exess. My diet is like 40%green 30%meat 25% grains 5%others. By grains imean whole grains like oat and corn sometimes. Rice too.
Fuck pasta tho, fucking piece of shit food
>>
>>35533072
Vegetable and brown rice pasta is pretty good.
>>
>>35533083
yeah i forgot about the rice pasta
>>
>>35528472

It's a really stupid diet but it's genius as a marketing strategy. You can get impressionable men in their 20s to buy anything if you pair some macho image with it, like a swole caveman with a strong jaw and a cavewoman on each side of him.

Some people will say "it's a basically good diet aside from the meme, it's just fruit, veg, and meat, can't go wrong," and those are the kind of people who just eat chicken breast, rice, and broccoli as their whole diet anyway.
>>
>>35533015

> learn how carbs/insulin works

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/paleo-diets-may-negate-benefits-of-exercise/
>>
>>35532931
That's my point. It's unnecessarily restrictive but it's still healthier than the average diet and by no means detrimental.
>>
>>35533265
I don't do paleo, I do targeted keto.

This is me

>>35533015
>>35532970
>>35532931
>>35531078
>>
>>35533998

>I do targeted keto

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-spillover-effect-links-obesity-to-diabetes/
>>
>>35528472
not a meme
definitely meme variations though, mostly commercial ones.
>use your critical faculties breh...
>>
>>35534038
I don't get it

You think I'm consuming too much fat? I take in 1500g carbs a week. TARGETED KETO
>>
>>35534381
mind explaining?
>>
>>35528472
Bad justification, awesome diet. You will be leaner and still make gains if you eat that way.

I'm an evolutionary biology grad student, so I have all kinds of reasons why the thinking behind the concept of paleo is erroneous, but I basically eat paleo anyway.
>>
>>35534805
>You will be leaner and still make gains
Please explain, I'm trying to work all this stuff out.
Learning about effects of macros, etc
>>
>>35534852
Almost everyone eats a bunch of easy carbs in the form of bread, sweetened dishes, white rice and noodles. You need carbs, but the amount you need can be easily gleaned from stuff like sweet potatoes, quinoa and nuts that are rich in micronutrients, fiber and protein. Pasta, bread, white rice and sugary anything are mad overkill on carbs and will contribute to making you fatter than you need to be.

I don't know what an orthodox paleo diet looks like exactly (there are variations I guess) but don't be shy about eating lots of fat in the form of olive oil and occasional fatty meats.
>>
Paleo's been rated "most retarded diet ever" atleast two times. Once by US News and World Report, and again by the British Dietetic Association, who put it in the same category as the urine-drinking diet and the eat-clay-to-remove-toxins diet.

Eating nothing but meat with some token fruit and veg on the sides isn't a healthy way to eat.
>>
>>35529413
>however we didn't evolve with access [...] any type of agriculturally produced grain
what a load of unproven bullshit
>>
>>35534381
[pseudoscience intensifies]
>>
>>35533265
>nutritionfacts.org
>>
>>35534954
since when is paleo "nothing but meat"? I would expect paleolithic man ate a ton of plant food in quantity and variety.

>>35535541
there's some truth to it in that we know (or think we know) when the agricultural revolution happened and there isn't enough time since then for us to have evolved.
>>
>>35528472
All "radical" diets are fucking bullshit.

That being said, my diet is partly Paleo. Luts of fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat, fish. But fuck it if I'm gonna give up pasta, oats, rice or bread.

All in moderation dear friend.
>>
>>35528472
honestly, you can eat nearly anything and be in good health. I think the bigger culprit is not working out.
>>
>>35529442
Actually stupid diet ... Logic is sound though
Unless you don't believe in science
>>
>>35535921
Carbs after workout is the only time you need them. EVER
>>
>>35536942
You have no idea what you're talking about. Glucose is the preferred fuel for every cell. Foods rich in carbohydrates (whole grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, legumes, etc) have well-known health benefits and are recommended by health organizations worldwide to make up a significant portion of calories in the human diet.
>>
>>35537120
Right, and you only need to consume them after your work out.

I said nothing about the % of your daily macros that makes up.
>>
>>35538203
After work out means between 6pm and bed time. After a lifting session.
>>
>>35528472

Is quite a meme and falacious

but it's actually good not eating processed food. Nothing bad with eating fresh veggies and fish and so. It just really stupid to call it "paleo", makes it look autistic.
>>
>>35538203
>>35538214
Sounds like broscience. Carbohydrates encourage protein synthesis and promote nitrogen retention. They should be consumed at every meal.
>>
File: 1436487223745.jpg (23KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1436487223745.jpg
23KB, 337x367px
paleo is confusing, because somehow they beleive that certain carbs render differently for nutrition than other carbs. This is such a silly position to take. i have difficulty even trying to explain to someone that using coconut flour to make a pancake isnt different nutritionally than using wheat flour.

i am in favor of ANYTHING that gets people to realize corn finished beef is bad, that sugar added to everything is bad, that fat isnt unhealthy and that we should be able to recognize the majority of the food on our plate for what it came from.
>>
>>35539500
I only eat pure sugar, some whey protein powder and butter. As long as you hit your macros, amirite?
>>
>>35536632
troll, I guess? o well
>>
File: 1332344177930.jpg (52KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1332344177930.jpg
52KB, 500x667px
>>35539535
sounds like you got it all figured out, champ.

did you have something to contribute or just wanted to explain to everyone how well your butter diet is going?
>>
>>35536229

>I would expect paleolithic man ate a ton of plant food in quantity and variety.

They did, but what paleolithic man ate is not "the paleo diet" as it's known today.

>there's some truth to it in that we know (or think we know) when the agricultural revolution happened and there isn't enough time since then for us to have evolved.

Either we did evolve in that amount of time to eat neolithic foods or we didn't require much adaptation to begin with. The fact is that, as far as modern science can tell, foods like whole grains, lentils, beans, etc ARE healthy foods and it's better to include them in the diet than it is to avoid them.

It would only make sense to start theorizing why we wouldn't be adapted to eating these things after discovering through scientific inquiry that they're bad for us, not after all the data we've gathered seems to tell us they're great foods.

This video is a good breakdown of the paleo "we didn't have enough time to adapt to grains and legumes" argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GD_9UXHg_k
>>
>>35538431

And when is your body trying to synthesize protein.....exactly

It's called keto, very highly researched actually.
>>
>>35539500
They have different glycemic index's
>>
>>35539740
There was enough time to evolve, l2 genetics. Same reasons asians can't into milk
>>
>>35539788
If you're not at risk for diabetes this doesn't matter nearly as much as your macro/micro intake
>>
>>35539798

That's what I said
>>
>>35539809
It's not about diabetes, it's about getting the lowest body fat % possible while consuming the same macros.
>>
>>35539757
>And when is your body trying to synthesize protein.....exactly
Ideally all day long. Otherwise you'll have negative protein and nitrogen balance.

>It's called keto, very highly researched actually.
It's highly researched as a last resort for treatment-resistant epilepsy and treatment-resistant obesity. Last resort, because of the numerous side effects and stringent elimination of healthy foods that everyone should be eating. Were you diagnosed with one of those?
>>
>>35539956
>Otherwise you'll have negative protein and nitrogen balance.

O god, and you accused me of bro science.

>because of the numerous side effects and stringent elimination of healthy foods that everyone should be eating
>>35534381
>>35536942
>>
>>35539956
>because of the numerous side effects
like what? other than your ldl going up, which seems to be ok based on the particle size, i havent seen any real side effects.
>>
File: 1437914894695.gif (1MB, 356x321px) Image search: [Google]
1437914894695.gif
1MB, 356x321px
>>35539956
>stringent elimination of healthy foods that everyone should be eating.

like donuts, baked potato soup and peanut butter sandwiches?
>>
>>35540033
How hard did you fail your intro to biology class?

If you poison whole body protein synthesis, you die. It has important housekeeping functions. Slowing it down, like with growth factor withdrawal, disinhibits amino acid catabolism from the increased availability of free amino acids. Incidentally, restricting dietary carbohydrate does the same

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/129/4/890.short

With muscle protein synthesis in particular, the recommendation is to eat throughout the day. Muscle protein synthesis can only be stimulated so much with one meal (the "muscle full effect") ergo protein balance is higher this way.
>>
File: ketogenic diet side effects.jpg (107KB, 805x664px) Image search: [Google]
ketogenic diet side effects.jpg
107KB, 805x664px
>>35540154
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

>which seems to be ok based on the particle size
Familial hypercholesterolemics have large LDLs and die from heart disease. The fact is that all LDLs are atherogenic regardless of size and size has no significance as a risk factor once adjusted for LDL particle count. See the end of page 357 of http://www.lipid.org/sites/default/files/articles/expert_panel_paper.pdf for example.
>>
>>35540171
No. Like fruits, legumes, and whole grains.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/
>>
>>35540893
>The fact is that all LDLs are atherogenic regardless of size and size has no significance as a risk factor once adjusted for LDL particle count.
thats not true, and if you think it is, your knowledge is not current and/or based on internets vs medicine. sorry friend, you are blog smart and real world stupid. What you think you know is wrong, the problem with why it hasnt made it to your reddit level knowledge is that there havent been a lot of studies on it specifically yet. Ask any practicing cardiologist about it and you will learn a little bit more about atherosclerosis

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021915006002590
Both LDL subclasses were significantly associated with subclinical atherosclerosis, with small LDL confounding the association of large LDL with atherosclerosis. Future studies of LDL size should account for the strong inverse correlation of LDL subclasses.
>>
File: shame.jpg (16KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
16KB, 403x403px
>>35539956
>because of the numerous side effects and stringent elimination of healthy foods that everyone should be eating.

define healthy? that is not a medical term. You betray your level of kung fu with your blog speak. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in the US living full and rich lives in a dietary ketosis right now. What aspect of their "health" do you take issue with? What quality of their health do you think they are not receiving? Your argument is based on your opinion on what is healthy, which isnt even a proper word.
>>
>>35541107
You seem confused. Practicing cardiologists think your fringe theories on particle size are crazy.

http://www.clinchem.org/content/52/9/1643.long

>Because evidence clearly indicates that all Apo B–containing particles are atherogenic(8), this reasoning is akin to the argument that an Uzi submachine gun is more deadly than an M16 or an AK47. Obviously all are potentially lethal, and although this assertion may interest gun aficionados, it matters little to law enforcement or to general public safety if the sole objective is disarmament! As has been demonstrated in clinical trials, if Apo B, or non-HDL-C or even LDL-C is decreased sufficiently, there will be a reduction of all types of particles, even if some are decreased slightly more than others, with a resulting beneficial impact on atherosclerosis and CAD. To suggest that shifting the focus from one particle to another without impacting the total circulating Apo B burden or reducing it will decrease CAD risk is, to use the gun analogy, like believing public safety will improve by switching gun users with Uzis to AK47s.

>http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021915006002590
That paper is cited by mine (http://www.lipid.org/sites/default/files/articles/expert_panel_paper.pdf), which you clearly did not even try to read. Apparently you didn't even read your own paper either. Let me quote from it for you:

>Moreover, both large and small LDL were significantly associated with carotid atherosclerosis in our study participants, whether or not they had diabetes mellitus. Our findings regarding the atherogenicity of both LDL subclasses have been confirmed in the VA-HIT trial, where both subclasses were significantly associated with coronary events once their correlation was taken into account [26].

They found that both large and small LDL are atherogenic. The effect size drops on large LDL once you control for small LDL, but remains statistically significant.
>>
>>35541216
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=definition+of+healthy

If you are too autistic to understand the definition of a word every kindergartener can in a matter of seconds, there's no hope for you.
>>
>>35541216
>They found that both large and small LDL are atherogenic. The
no they didnt, they found that studies found corralations because they didnt look and discriminate on particle size, and suggest that there is a need to study discrete particle size.

>Conclusion
>Both LDL subclasses were significantly associated with subclinical atherosclerosis, with small LDL confounding the association of large LDL with atherosclerosis.

sounds like you read it, but didnt understand it. do you need me to help you understand any of these big words like 'confound' in a science context?
>>
>>35541421
>You seem confused. Practicing cardiologists think your fringe theories on particle size are crazy.
>http://www.clinchem.org/content/52/9/1643.long

oh wow. i just looked at this link. you completely misunderstood this paper as well. The entire point of that article was that the testing methodology used in most studies does not discriminate properly due to a flaw in the testing approach. It actually goes on to reenforce my point, that particle size has NOT been studied sufficiently.
>. A reasonable conclusion is that, although assessing LDL and HDL subclasses may be of academic and research interest, the solid evidence for their use in routine clinical practice is lacking, and the available evidence is conflicting and confusing. In addition, given that determination of LDL particle number may well be a more valid approach

goddamn why do i bother trying to participate in threads with second year college kids who "know everything" because they can skim articles on the internet. you are wrong, confused and have pasted articles making MY point, not your own. lol
>>
>>35541440
>If you are too autistic to understand the definition of a word every kindergartener can in a matter of seconds, there's no hope for you.

you misunderstand, like the other bozo, you are foolish and stupid. Give me a MEDICAL definition of healthy. Give me the exact parameters that define healthy vs not healthy. That word does not mean what you think it means.

you are trying to participate in a conversation that is so far over your head, you dont even realize it. the word healthy has no definition in science.
>>
File: Screenshot.jpg (77KB, 610x691px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.jpg
77KB, 610x691px
>>35542213
>no they didnt
>do you need me to help you understand any of these big words like 'confound' in a science context

Are you fucking kidding me? "Confound" does not mean "eliminate"

Here's figure 2. They clearly show a statistically significant positive association between large LDLs after controlling for small LDLs. But go ahead and tell me what you mistakenly believe it means. Since you apparently don't know shit about lipidology, I can only expect top tier comedic gold from your ignorance. Come on, entertain me, tard boy!

>suggest that there is a need to study discrete particle size.
They suggest WHEN studying particle size you need to control for other particle sizes in your statistical model otherwise the associations are bogus. What is it about reading English that is so hard for you?
>>
>>35542261
>The entire point of that article was that the testing methodology used in most studies does not discriminate properly due to a flaw in the testing approach.
Yeah. Try reading the part that I greentexted again. With that autism of yours it's no surprise you couldn't understand it the first time.

>It actually goes on to reenforce my point, that particle size has NOT been studied sufficiently.
What a cop out. Literally every scientific paper in existence calls for more research. When all existing data we have points to it not being useful, there is no reason to think to think it is right now. If you have something that suggests differently, please share it. Otherwise what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
>>
>>35542281
>can't understand a word taught to kindergarteners
>resorts to posting a wall of pointless semantical bickering and insults

[autism intensifies]

Please ask your mom to make you an appointment with your psychiatrist. You need to adjust the dosage of your autism medication.
>>
File: 002.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
All you guys arguing about lipids for ketogenic diets are tossing around studies from normal people, not studies based on people doing high fat low carb diets on ketosis. My wife has RA, and we have both been on a ketogenic diet for years to manage inflammation. Our bloods come back with high LDL-C (>250) with hdl-c in the 60-80 range and total chol around 350-400. Interestingly, since my wife has some other stuff, she gets quarterly CIMT scans. Despite having "go on lipitor" levels of fats, her inflammation is down, her crp is low and her imt has remained steady.

i'll stick with my n=2 study that tells me what a whole lot of diabetics already know, ketosis is healthy, a fat based diet with low carb and <130g protein macros is fine. Its not shocking to me that people want to defend the status quo. The american diabetes association recommends on thier website
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html
>A place to start is at about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate at a meal.

meanwhile, if you dropped that to <10, it would cure your diabetes. Most doctors would rather put you on insulin to control your blood sugar than reduce your blood sugar so it doesnt need to be controlled. Why is that? keep on worrying about how keto is bad for you while i enjoy my cheese and bacon covered broccoli i had for dinner tonight.
>>
>>35540801
16 hours each day without carbs, is not restricting carbs.
>>
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/right-dietary-fats-diet-idm-5-2/
>>
>>35534917
>the amount you need can be easily gleaned from stuff like sweet potatoes, quinoa and nuts that are rich in micronutrients, fiber and protein.
plus most of that shit has fuckton of fucking fiber which makes you feel motherfuckingly full and bitching healthy. SHIT FUCK ASS cock BITCH
>>
File: b8trickdeluxe.png (175KB, 400x215px) Image search: [Google]
b8trickdeluxe.png
175KB, 400x215px
>>35528472
>paleo
>>
>>35534917
Agreed. Grains are just filler for calories and carbs. They have no real benefits, though.
>>
>>35543550

>ketosis is healthy
> Our bloods come back with high LDL-C (>250) with hdl-c in the 60-80 range and total chol around 350-400

You have pretty low standards of health

>meanwhile, if you dropped that to <10, it would cure your diabetes.

No, it would just ignore the underlying cause of the problem, insulin sensitivity. With diabetes already being a risk factor for heart disease, putting someone on a diet that's going to raise their cholesterol to 400 is the last thing you would want to do. Considering that high fat diets, especially high saturated fat diets, kill insulin sensitivity, it's also unlikely to work as a long term treatment for diabetes, much less a cure. A better option would be to feed people high quality carbohydrates that increase insulin sensitivity, which improves blood sugar control. Legumes have been used this way for centuries.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/diabetics-should-take-their-pulses/
>>
>>35546566

> Grains are just filler for calories and carbs. They have no real benefits, though.

They protect against cardiovascular disease and stroke, colorectal cancer, diabetes, hypertension, hemorrhoids, alzheimers, and other diseases. It's been a public health goal for decades to get people to eat more whole grains because they do come with a lot of health benefits.
>>
>>35544417

Looks like another quack health website
>>
>>35546981
Hey, stop making sense. I just want to keep thinking my diet of bacon and eggs is good for me.
>>
>>35528472

Meme for sure, not a bad way to eat though.

99% of all greens we eat today didn't even exist back then. Genetic modification niggah.
>>
File: chickens2.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
chickens2.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>35546989
>Looks like another quack health website
lol, such a "quack". Thats a real deal "i can put you on dialysis" kidney doctor. He spent years treating the symptoms of type 2 diabetes, one common one is kidney problems, and decided to start trying to understand why. Well, using a simple protocol of fasting and ketogenic diet, he has literally cured diabetes for thousands of people. His practice is so successful, there is an eight month waiting list to see him.

>>35546943
>You have pretty low standards of health
your opinion on what right looks like is of no concern to me. i have actual health professionals and expensive blood tests and ultrasounds of our actual IMTs over time that say that you are wrong in your belief.

>>35546943
>o. Considering that high fat diets, especially high saturated fat diets, kill insulin sensitivity,
this is ridiculous, when i read this i realized you legitimately have no idea what you are talking about. i literally eat coconut oil and whole eggs every goddamn day for YEARS, and my fasted and OGTT glucose levels are so goddamn low the lab flags it as hypoglycemic.

>>35546981
>They protect against diabetes,
R.O.F.L.
>>
>>35546981
Those are really just fiber benefits, not specific to grains. You can get fiber from leafy greens and root vegetables.

>>35548149
Minimal grains =/= keto

There are plenty of other carb sources that are higher in micronutrients. Grains are pretty micronutrient poor, even whole grains.
>>
Is shitposting paleo?
>>
>>35548305

>Thats a real deal "i can put you on dialysis" kidney doctor.
>he has literally cured diabetes for thousands of people

Has he conducted any studies that were published in peer reviewed papers? Because his views are inconsistent with the rest of the medical community, without good evidence for what he's saying, he's more than likely a quack. On that page, he says saturated fats aren't harmful based on a discredited paper funded by the dairy industry. Here's a video that breaks down that paper to explain why it's not well accepted by any experts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wi9dzkTiU4

Now ask yourself if he read that study himself and thought it was so well done that it provided great evidence that saturated fats aren't bad for you, or if he knew how faulty it was and was just using it to further a quack agenda.

I also wonder what kind of doctors you're going to that see those insane cholesterol numbers and wouldn't agree with me that your diet is probably going to kill you.

Also yes, high fat diets, especially saturated fats, do harm insulin sensitivity, as noted in this WHO report

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/public_health_nut4.pdf

The report also mentions the importance of fiber, as in from legumes and whole grains, in decreasing diabetes risk as well as managing it.
>>
>>35550782

>Those are really just fiber benefits, not specific to grains. You can get fiber from leafy greens and root vegetables.

Cup of kale, 1g fiber. Cup of rolled oats, 8g fiber. Even if your diet is rich in vegetables, vegetables alone aren't going to give you enough fiber. 30g a day is the starting amount, 45+ is ideal. That's not realistically achieveable on a paleo diet.

Fiber from grains specifically may also have unique benefits compared to fiber from vegetables, because they also have more indigestible starch that feeds gut microbes, and a higher proportion of their phytochemicals are bound to the fiber, so they take effect further down the digestive tract and provide more protection there.

http://www.omicsonline.org/whole-grain-cereal-bioactive-compounds-and-their-health-benefits-a-review-2157-7110.1000146.php?aid=4593
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12740067
>>
File: 1431816113567.gif (3MB, 252x263px) Image search: [Google]
1431816113567.gif
3MB, 252x263px
>>35552594
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.