[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sumo deadlifts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: sumoconvo.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sumoconvo.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>sumo deadlifts is cheating
has anyone who's said this actually been able to pull sumo?
>>
File: 1443042008977.jpg (706KB, 1024x1596px) Image search: [Google]
1443042008977.jpg
706KB, 1024x1596px
>>35525295
>>
http://startingstrength.com/site/article/why_almost_nobody_should_pull_sumo#.Vo6hmuw8LCQ
>>
>>35525295

Here are two different points of view on the issue.

Against sumo for training: http://startingstrength.com/site/article/why_almost_nobody_should_pull_sumo

In favour of both styles: http://www.strengtheory.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/

For competition you obviously want to pull with the stance that you are stronger with.
>>
I pull both sumo and conventional both equally over 200 kilos
Hate me
>>
>>35525604
>>35525641

>sumo is mechanically superior
>"everyone" is stronger conventionally because of superior muscle mass
>the conventional deadlift utilizes more and larger muscle groups than sumo. Which doesn't negate sumo being a mechanically better lift somehow cuz fuck it
>those who pull more sumo are faggots that should actually pull conventional

actually wtf @ that article
>>
>>35525905
>inb4 confirmed for arguing that sumo is superior
I'm not. I'm simply saying that some people pull more and heavier with sumo and vice versa.
And then we have these >>35525658 assholes who pull both really well
>>
>>35525295
Pull however you want faggot. Personally I'm more powerful in the conventional stance but what the fuck does it matter
>>
>>35525604
>>35525641

What a surprise, an article from starting strength without a single reference.
>>
File: Swedish girls.jpg (1MB, 1152x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Swedish girls.jpg
1MB, 1152x1728px
Lowbar vs. Highbar is legit either way, but Sumo deadlift is gay as fuck.
>>
>>35526157
>reference
lol, wtf are they supposed to reference? there's no useful science to reference
>>
>>35525905
>>sumo is mechanically superior
the article never says that
>>"everyone" is stronger conventionally because of superior muscle mass
it actually explicitly states that not everyone will pull more conventionally
>>the conventional deadlift utilizes more and larger muscle groups than sumo. Which doesn't negate sumo being a mechanically better lift somehow cuz fuck it
doesn't say this either
>>those who pull more sumo are faggots that should actually pull conventional
nor this

>actually wtf @ that article
learn to read better.
>>
>>35525905
>sumo is mechanically superior

Meaning it's easier. You use less muscles and don't pull the weight as high. It's basically cheating.
>>
>>35526245

Where the studies at senpai?
>>
>>35526315
but my conventional is stronger than my sumo. how is it cheating if people are pulling more with their conventional stance?
>>
>>35526190
who the fuck are you I know those girls
>>
>>35526190
>>35526346
okay turned out some guy went to sweden and just photographed a lot of people
>>
>>35526345
Because you've probably been lifting in the conventional style much more often

And it's cheating for the two very obvious reasons which I've already stated, you don't pull the weight as high and you engage less muscle groups.
>>
>>35526265

>the article never says that
"the sumo deadlift allows the lifter to get his hips closer to the barbell, thereby decreasing the moment arm between hips and barbell. And as the back has become more vertical in sumo, there is a shorter moment arm along the trunk segment. Thus the hips, as well as the muscles that stabilize the torso, have less leverage to overcome as a result of these decreased moment arms.
Sounds pretty good if our sole purpose is to lift the most possible weight, right? Well, maybe and maybe not. More on that later. But we are concerned with getting stronger, not with finding ways to make the deadlift easier."
>doesn't say this either
"However, the simple fact that many lifters – probably most lifters – can pull more conventional lends additional support to the conclusion of the mechanical analysis above. There must be some factor that accounts for the ability of most lifters to pull more conventional despite the longer moment arm between hips and barbell and the longer range of motion involved.
This factor is more muscle mass."
+
"To be fair to the sumo deadlift, the wide stance with toes pointed out probably involves the adductor musculature to a greater degree. When the external rotators do their job of keeping the knees out in the sumo deadlift, the adductors are more elongated at the start of the lift than in the conventional pull and can better contribute to hip extension. The adductors, however, are a smaller muscle group than the hamstrings. In the sumo pull, these smaller muscles are doing more of the hip extension that the larger muscles of the hamstrings are better positioned to do in the conventional pull. Because it makes sense to use a technique that calls on bigger muscles to generate stronger hip extension, the conventional deadlift is the superior choice."
>>
>>35526449
cont.
". We choose the lifts that allow us (1) to work the most muscle mass, over (2) the longest effective range of motion, with (3) the most weight possible. We’ve seen that the conventional deadlift satisfies the first two criteria.
And for most lifters it will satisfy the third (independent of the first two) on account of the additional muscle mass utilized."
>additional muscle mass utilized

He literally can't stop saying it.

"We don’t substitute lifts where more weight can be lifted at the expense of muscle mass worked and range of motion. Otherwise, we would be doing rack pulls and quarter squats to the exclusion of deadlifts and squats. And if you’ll actually train your conventional pull, I can almost guarantee it won’t be substantially lower than your sumo pull anyway."

The article is literally called "why (almost) nobody should pull sumo
>>
do people ever rip their knee ligaments doing sumo at high weight? Seems rough on the knees
>>
>>35526395

The goal is to lift the weight and lock it out.

Not to lift it to a certain imaginary line or to use the most muscles.

If you enter a race to a finish line you can't accuse the other competitors of cheating because they've decided against following your approach of doing the race four legged.
>>
>>35526449
>>35526486

cont.
"You’ll have plenty of time to consider pulling sumo for competitive reasons once you’ve established a 600-700 lb conventional deadlift. But by then, you probably won’t even care to."

>deadlift 700lbs before considering sumo
>>
I have a bad back and sumo deadlifts and front squats have done it wonders.

I don't care what riptoes cult of personality say you cunts all look like shit.
>>
>>35525295
>>35525641
>>35525658
>>35525905
>>35525926
>>35526083
>>35526315
>>35526345

>pull
>pull
>pull
>fucking deadlift
>pull

FUCKING
KILL
YOURSELVES
DEADLIFT ISNT A FUCKING PULL
>>
>>35526346
No way lmao. Yeah I saved it from stormfront (inb4 buttmad pooskins)
>>
>>35526629
Then what is it you CUNT?! Yea, you read that right, C U N T. Heh.
>>
>>35526395
You don't engage less muscle groups. Anyone who says that is fucking retarded and never did deadlifts. You just use more legs with sumo vs more back for convention and if you donkeykong ever deadlifted would know it's the same shit and has no fucking difference. How about you fucking lift instead.
>>
>>35526629
Yes, it is.
>>
>>35526566
This, just fucking lift how it feels better. Everyone thinks pulling conventional adds 2 inches to your dick. It doesn't and no one cares about your 3pl8 master race conventional deadlift.
>>
>>35526629
fuck off Richard
>>
>>35526776
Do you know that chinup is a push because you push yourself when doing chinups. Check m8
>>
>>35525295
i can doeadlift around 220kg / 490 poons conventional but i struggle to pull 150kg/330 pounds sumo, it depends on your structure.
that said, i hate sumo and i think it has no place outside of powerlifting, which is a joke sport.
>>
>>35526629
you call it a pull because you pull it of the ground, who the fuck cares if you have to push with your legs or whatever.
you would call a clean pull a push because you push your legs to do it correctly? no it's a fucking pull because you pull the weight off the ground no matter what fucking cue you use to do it.
fuck you
>>
Lowbar is better than highbar because it reduces the range of motion. Sumo is inferior to conventional because it reduces the range of motion.

Seriously. Fuck this debate. Anyone who deadlift any decent amount respects both lifts, for most people it's equally difficult.
>>
>>35527295
this
>>
File: grapes.jpg (260KB, 688x1434px) Image search: [Google]
grapes.jpg
260KB, 688x1434px
>>35526914
>>
I do conventional and can only do hookgrip :(

And I can only seem to deadlifts in my OLY shoes now too.

I'm trying to get better at OLY so I guess it makes sense but I can't diddy as much as some of the MOONSTARS in my gym.

I have never not even once tried alternating grip either.
>>
I use a belt and sumo to compensate for the fact I cant arch my back right, and people think im strong for it.

:3
>>
>>35526315
>You use less muscles

Why do you say that as if it would make the lift easier?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.