[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/ i have a weird problem. Started noticing it this year,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1449111346760.jpg (32KB, 247x353px) Image search: [Google]
1449111346760.jpg
32KB, 247x353px
/fit/ i have a weird problem.

Started noticing it this year, but my bench hasn't improved in nearly 7 months,
My incline bench has gone from 70kg to 110
Dumbell press from 35 to 45kg
Everything on chest has improved but for some reason i can't get past 85kg on straight bench press.

I really have no idea what it could be, anyway else ever had this problem?

Pic related.
>>
Check form make sure to screw traps into bench and make a slight arch, retract scapula and always have someone to lift off so you can keep the positiob
>>
I'm thinking of moving hands into a more 60 degree position, at about 80-90 i seem to lose a lot of strength in my right shoulder/arm
>>
>>35496618
It happened to me for about 2 or 3 months where I couldn't get past my plateu no matter how much I was improving in other aspects of chest and general strength. I just got past it (by 5kg only) and I think you just have to wait to make more strength gainz to get past it.
>>
Nigga are you trying to tell me your incline is over to plate and your flat is well under that
>>
TRICEPS
R
I
C
E
P
S

ROTATOR
O
T
A
T
O
R

CUFF
U
F
F
>>
>>35497046
Possibly, how would i test that?

>>35497031
Yeah it's fucking weird man
>>
weird that db bell is increasing but not flat bb

probably something specific to that excercise

how often are you doing bb bench? what rep range?
>>
>>35497116
Usually once a week, sometimes though i just switch off for a few weeks to db press cause i get angry.

Rep range is usually 6-10 depending on set
>>
>>35497130
Do 5x5

Follow all the rules

It'll push up slowly
>>
>>35497130
thats whats doing it pretty much..

depending on how advanced you are, you could run a "specialization cycle" for bench. bench twice a week for 5x5, keep all your other lifts on hold (dont add weight), you can follow up bench with some flyes or something to specialize on chest for high reps (like 2-3x10-12).

or for now just bench 2x a week for sets of 5 or 6-8s if you want. you can also do flat bench for lower reps one day and higher reps the next (and then do incline bench or whayever it is you do for low reps instead). but considering you want to get your flat bench up, id do it heavy 2x a week. but it probably doesnt really matter. just do it more frequently and dont switch it out.

realize your stats are kinda intermediate (and may be pretty high depending on your body and whatever), especially on an upper body lift like bench, youre not going to be adding weight everyday, maybe not even everyweek.
>>
>>35497130
>>35497185
you can also consider just not giving a fuck about flat barbell bench. if all you care about is having a big chest (and you dont care about being a powerlifter or anything..), you dont need to do barbell bench.
>>
>>35496618
Accessory work. You are clearly using your delts when you bench and not your pecs. Widen your elbows when you bench for a start but do pec exercises other than bench to bring your chest up to snuff.
>>
>>35497185
I'm 5'10, 110kg (don't know pounds)

But that sounds decent, same with the 5x5, usually i'm so rekt from chest day it takes a 3-5 day cycle to get all doms gone, maybe i'll tie cardio into chest so i'm not wasting a trip.

cheers guys.
>>
File: hold me.jpg (63KB, 785x428px) Image search: [Google]
hold me.jpg
63KB, 785x428px
>>35496666
This.

You're most likely using shitty form and your triceps and delts are compensating.

Widen your grip more on flat bench and do what this guy says.

Remember, when you widen your grip on a bench press you decrease the ROM on the elbow joint while maintaining the same ROM on the shoulder joint
>>
>>35497256
So what degree?
>>
>>35497277
Doesn't matter. The wider the better. Watch some powerlifters who have retardedly wide grips.
>>
>>35497296
I've always found the wider my grip the more my elbows struggled on downwards, should i just reform my bench from say, 60 and choose a wider grip?
>>
>>35497318
Probably.

Just flat bench more. Accessory bullshit like DB and incline is just a waste of energy and time before you actually develop chest strength.
>>
>>35497344

Alright, cheers guys, i'll try that out next week, hopefully it gets better.
>>
File: Fattiepress.png.jpg (12KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
Fattiepress.png.jpg
12KB, 320x220px
Flat barbell bench press is possibly the most useless excercise in the gym. If you are a stubby manlet you can use it to impress clueless newfriends, but other than that it has no place except in powerlifting.
>>
>>35497251
Waiting for DOMS to be gone is a joke... Lifting through DOMS makes it less likely to happen, and DOMS is not an indicator of recovery. That's STUPID.

And all the guys saying the wider the better (it's all one guy I'm sure..) is a fucking idiot too. Too wide if a grip can fuck up your shoulders, and the majority of people can bench the most and push hardest with a grip on the closer side.

Look up: "Lyle McDonald Generic Bench Press", read the article, and then read his articles on Bench Press Variations and Benching With The Pecs.

You want your upper arm about 30 to 45 degrees from your side (or about 60 to 45 degrees from being right out at your side). I personally have actually found that not only since putting my grip closer that I can push more weights more easily (and it feels more natural), but that I feel my chest working MORE than when my grip was wider (of course using the cue of squeezing the chest and "squeezing it up", talked about in the article(s) I mentioned).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.