[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 8

File: how2lift.jpg (194KB, 600x1098px) Image search: [Google]
how2lift.jpg
194KB, 600x1098px
Weightlifting General

A thread for discussing everything related to the sport of Weightlifting (Snatch and Clean & Jerk).

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
http://pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
http://pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
http://www.chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links. That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

>OlyPets and OlyFeels Edition
>>
>>29921300
What's a "good" sinclair number, i'm hovering around 200 right now and i'm wondering at what point it's classified as "good"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUeeecjd2s8
If Omar is right here, why would we add weight to our snatch/clean and jerk when beginning? If it's just motor movements and irrelevant to strength, why do people immediately start with a 40kg snatch? Should we take months getting the technique down by muscle memory first?
>>
>>29921332
I've heard 300 is "good". I hit 112/145 @ 83.75 and got a 309.something Sinclair and I think I'm "okay." 350 and I'll consider myself goodish.

140 clean pull + clean + 2 jerks this evening. Reposting from last thread because hype.
>>
>>29921332
300 would probably make you competitive at all local meets.
>>
guys hows my technik
http://instagram.com/p/waEImRikqf/
http://instagram.com/p/waEcCICksD/

not a robot btw, im pas
>>
>>29921390
because if you stay snatching the bar for 4 months you will never get used to your muscles needing to work at heavier loads, and as such you will never learn the form for heavier weights.

>This is what i'm guessing is why
>>
>>29921471
mirin' breh you may aswell be olympic level
>>
>>29921472
Yeah, but the weight should come over time. Adding weight immediately without having some kind of muscle familiarity won't add any benefit. Plus, doing weights you're not used to doing skew your technique, and over time, your technique will end up being awful
>>
>>29921390
I have people add weight because i don't think snatching/cleaning/jerking an insignificant weight helps you lift significant weights that much. Just because the weight challenges you to use good technique doesn't mean it won't help you build better technique. I think challenging yourself is good if it results in better motor patterns
>>
>>29921495
ok yeah, that's what i was trying to say, that weight should be added over time/ you shouldn't stay at the same weight(ie. just the bar) for an extended period of time.
>>
>>29921505
My coach said you should be able to do a perfect snatch with just the bar before you add any weight. When you start lifting weights before you have the movements down, your technique will mess up. You'll start performing irregular movements to get the weight up, instead of sticking to good form (cheat squats, bending back during max deadlift, etc) I think you should at least have the movement down before attempting weight, muscle memory takes longer to accrue than just learning how to snatch.

But hey, this is just me, and I don't even total more than 200
>>
>>29921548
That's all and well, but snatching an empty bar is nothing like snatching max weight which is the point of this sport. Is your coach a good lifter?
>>
>>29921593
Was on the Chinese national team for 7 years. Yes, I'm that guy.
>>
>>29921471
>http://instagram.com/p/waEImRikqf/
ur wrist flexibility is absolutely terrible m8
>>
>>29921471
Topkek, go rewatch the pendlay vids
>incomplete clean extension
>cant do full lifts
>trying to make us think those whites are 50 kilos a piece
Also
>Internal rotation
You forgot to put #don'tbescaredyourwholelife
In there
>>
>>29921632
i-it's my first clean for ages :(
but yeh ik
>>
>>29921471
white Lu
>>
>>29921622
Wait, I'm not trying to insult you but how were you on the national team for 7 years but don't total 200? Is there some catch
And are you the guy who was lifting in the globo gym who couldn't do full snatches because of your knee?
>>
>>29921669
his coach was on the team, dumby, not him
>>
>>29921669
My coach was in the team for 7 years, not me. I've only been lifting since May. I don't know what a globo gym is but yeah I posted some form checks here while recovering from a knee sprain. It's fine now, I'll probably be finally adding weight in January if things go as planned.
>>
>>29921622
Hey → on man. If it works it works. I feel like it's more productive for adults to spend more time working with actual weight than an empty bar, but that's just how I was taught and how I teach and I'll be lucky to ever be anywhere near as good as your coach was/is.
>>
>>29921471

why do you even trip

are you the fag who got eaten alive by some azn disease and got stroke in Bangladesh or something? or am I mistaking you for someone else?
>>
>>29921706
that was olyslab :)
>>
>>29921703
Oh no I don't mean only do bar and just the bar. I do strength training on the side as well, just no full lifts until I my technique is good enough.
>>
>>29921706
why do you post when youre so new you dont know the difference between a trip and a name?
>>
>>29921771
>questioning tripfags
>on 4chin
>get called newfag

The irony
>>
>>29921818
>>
>>29921741
I figured. I'd like to see what a "perfect" snatch with the empty bar looks like though. Just to get a guage of exactly how good you're expected to be with an empty bar before you add weight. I've read in the Soviet texts that you don't develop really good technique until you've been doing it for 5 years.
>>
>>29921958
Yeah, my coach said my technique will be nowhere near perfect until at least half a decade from now. But he says I need to be able to have consistently "good" technique before I add weight.
>>
>>29921958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKs4tMG0EU
>>
>>29921471
oh man my voice is horrible, never speaking again
>>
>>29921471
mirin your squat depth
>>
>>29921633
b-but the chinese and illya all internally rotate

lets not start this again
>>
>>29921986
Okay that's more in line with my thinking then. At first I thought you meant perfect technique because I think you said perfect
>>
>>29921958
is it normal that i feel like my technique has gone so far with the bar, that i need to add weight to see if i'm doing it 'right'?

if you do the bar and only the bar, as a noob i think sometimes i wonder if im just muscling it easily into position because its so light, and it looks 'right'. oly way to test it is with some weight added

or am i barking up the wrong tree?
>>
>>29921996
this isnt the same as a full grown adult using the bar though. 20-30kg is alot for a little kid but its nothing for an adult
>>
File: vgs9zkyg7n3n.jpg (248KB, 1087x778px) Image search: [Google]
vgs9zkyg7n3n.jpg
248KB, 1087x778px
when are we gonna have our oly jailbait edition we talked about, huh?
>>
>>29922176
You're right. Everyone talks about how the chinese train with just the bar for months before adding weight - this is because 1. they are teaching 5-8 year olds. The bar is a lot for kids that young. And 2. the "perfect" lift to them is any lift that follows the "close, low, fast, balanced" motto they have and looks the same every time they do it. So long as it fits those requirements, they don't care.
>>
>>29921471

why the fuk post vids of literal babby weight

grats bro ur tech looks solid with the weight my little sister could lift, and guess what bro id ont even fkn have a little sister faggot
>>
>>29922176
Well that's my line of thinking. If you can just do whatever you want with it then it's probably not going to teach you a lot.
>>
>>29922251
newfriend pls go

dnt u kno anything
>>
>>29922254
i feel snatching just the bar as a noob has a function, especially as i'd never even had 20kg over my head in that position before

clean and jerk though, i could litterally do anything. i actually feel my technique is better with weight on the bar
>>
>>29922262

shut ur fuckin gab pas
>>
>>29922251
to bait responses from idiots like you probably
>>
File: 1406257738051.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1406257738051.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>tfw this guy taught you the oly lifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LXnByvRwIg&index=85&list=UUCCwTcKXcldkb6PtPnC1R9w
>>
>>29922599
dat rack position doe
>>
pls critique thx guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gs-tbTXxI
>>
anybody from southeastern CT know of a good oly gym for me to learn form at with like a coach or whatever? looked online for some and only places were a few hours from me in like boston.
>>
any shoe recommendations for squats/cleans?
>>
>>29922790
bar bath could be straighter on second pull, looks good tho m8, big weight there
>>
>>29922798
Adidas power perfect 2
>>
>>29922864
Not actually him. It's an epic meme.
>>
>>29922864
>Doesn't know kyle
>he fell for it
>>
>>29921996
>dropping the metal weights
what a pompous asshole
>>
>>29922148
#thatsthejoke
>>
>>29922213
if you really want that make the general yourself, but for aslong as i'm the one making it it aint happenin.
>don't know about Ge tho he might b into that kinda stuff
>>
>>29921471
Pas what's your height/weight atm??
>>
>>29921300
why do they need knee wraps?
>>
File: aoeu.png (477KB, 846x471px) Image search: [Google]
aoeu.png
477KB, 846x471px
pretty noob question but why does it seem that 105 kg is a lot of muscle and little fat then +105 or +75 has people with a ton of fat on them? I know that there is a lot of muscle under that but why do they pack on so much fat? like doesn't lower weight in your class help you in the scoring if there is a tie? pic of chinese +75
>>
>>29924728

Lower weight only matters if there's an exact tie. If being twenty kilos heavier adds even 1 to your total.... it ain't a tie.
>>
>>29924100
they dont
>>
Has anyone here read or bought Greg Everetts Olympic weightlifting for sports?

Is it good enough if I'm not going to compete in weightlifting? Or should I go with his giant tome? Basically I'm looking to improve my strength and explosiveness in BJJ. Gotta keep up with the fucking wrestlers.
>>
guys, my elbow hurt bad
It doesn't hurt "extending it" and I was able to jerk 90% today w/out any pain, but pulling any weight hurts it, even things like when I was stretching after workout. I was able to do some p snatch with out any pain if I oriented my elbow right but it still hurts pretty bad 8 hours later. feels like if it was massaged or popped it might feel better but massaging tri isn't helping
any advice here? gonna ice tomorrow before workout
>>
so does anybody if dollega is kill?
>>
>>29925364
>>29925364

I believe he has a lifetime ban now, RIP Dolega.
>>
>>29922790
How much was that?

Also jumping back
>>
Oly gyms in metro Atlanta?
>>
>>29924056
6'5/71kg
>>
Are glasses allowed in competitions?
>>
>>29927897
yes

all rules can be found here
http://www.iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf OP make sure you put this link into the OP
>>
>>29927924
ok cool

I've always wondered why I never saw anyone with eyewear

nobody must have fucked up their eyes
>>
>>29927956
i'd say because they'd fall of when you're snatching 2 plates
>>
>>29927991
ohh

good thing I have sports goggles. if those are allowed
>>
>>29928013
sports goggles? like swimming goggles? You lift in swimming goggles? what the fuck man
>>
>>29927877
No way youre 6'5" cuh. You look nowhere close to that in the vids you posted
>>
>>29928398
No more like 5'6" lol
>>
>>29928051
they're goggles for sports other than swimming

the lens have grade, and they stay on your head. nah I only use it for whenever
>>
>>29927991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IaPvOyJWK4#t=407
>>
>>29928398
everyone else is just 7'
>>
>>29926365
150kg
>>
no vid, i think im doing the pete rubish style high bar squat where im literally just leaning forward and doing a good morning back up.

does anyone have an indepth high bar squat technique vid? i used to be really comfortable doing them, but i switched to lowbar for a year and it fucked with my form and motor patterns
>>
>>29929269
hmmmm

i wonder if you went on youtube and typed in "high bar squat" .... i wonder if there's any how-to vids.......guess we'll never know
>>
>>29924839
So why do they use knee wraps then?
>>
>>29929450
for extra support, but mainly to keep the joints "warm" atleast that's what i've heard.
sometimes i'll use tensor bandages to wrap my knees and it helps to reduce the popping in my right knee
>>
>>29929450
they dont..
>>
powerlifter here wanting to move to weightlifting

what should I expect

should I pepper my angus
>>
>>29929483
pepper to to having to gain A LOT of flexibility
>>
>>29929483
Prepare to do something that's actually difficult instead of get fat and lift once every 10 minutes 4x/week for an hour or two.
>>
>>29929434

yeah from fucking jonny candito
>>
>>29929483

Expect to have zero power pulling from the floor in a proper snatch/clean stance

Also expect front squats to rek you on way lighter weights than what you thought was heavy for a squat because your quads are probably a little lacking and your motor patterns need reworking
>>
hey guys, any nice way to get lower squat?
>>
>>29929483
expect a lot of fun. Also transited form Pl, an WL is much much much more enjoyable.
>>
>>29930427
dont squat =)
>>
>>29930427
nothing much other than working on mobility
>>
>>29930901
examples of stretches? thx
>>
>>29925281
Friends?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the book or not.
>>
>>29930929

It's a good book worth the money as a helpful guide to understanding the lifts. Got me started before I had a coach, and while it's no substitute, it's better than nothing.
>>
>>29931040
Thanks man. The reviews are also pretty good on amazon as well. Just wanted to make sure my /fit/ brethren approved.
>>
>>29930921
are you already doing the stretches in the /owg/ youtube playlist? (pendlay lower body flexibility)
>>
>>29929450
>>29929475
>>29929482

They dont wrap like a powerlifter, thats for sure

generally its neoprene sleeves for warmth, cloth/elastic sleeves for a bit of warmth and support, wrap with bandages or light wraps (not thick pl ones) for support and maybe a tad bit of warmth

wrapping is usually used when lifters have irritated tendons as you can apply more localised pressure

klokov is an example, wraps under the knee to take pressure of the paetaller tendon, but also on top as he says he gets pain there, leaves knees open though.
>>
File: 1418108143580.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1418108143580.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
guys can i ask a serious question, even though it sounds dumb?

i've been working on m strength, especially the squat. im 6'1 and only weight 78kg. the most ive squatted is 147.5kg, the most i've repped 3x5 is 130kg

now, i dont think thats awful for my height/weight, but recently ive been picking up niggling injuries, little back strain here, calf pull there, and despite it just being twinges it means im not explosive in clean pulls etc currently. and currently working below my maxes. last back squats were 120x5, 122.5x5, 125x5. today i front squatted 60,70,80,90,100 all for 3's.

now onto my question... could these little niggling injuries be because im so fragile/skelly? i'm bulking currently, just wondering if i'll become more robust as i gain weight and mass

sorry if its dumb question. thanks brehs.
>>
>>29934082
Might be your recovery.
>>
>>29934190
this is almost certainly a contributing factor, my sleep pattern and food has been pretty fucking bad recently. text's from the ex and a big job interview havent exactly helped either.
>>
>>29922790
kyle plz stay
>>
>>29929483
expect to have an exciting journey on the road to competitive olympic weightlifting :) You will gain power, flexibility, explosiveness, coordination, reflexes and respect for other lifters. You will stay engaged by making new PR's unpredictably and you will make great friends and life-long companions by spilling sweat, blood and tears with one another! Welcome aboard mate :D
>>
>>29934082
Everytime I've lurked these OWG threads for the past month or so I've noticed you mentioning that you're 6'1 78kg and "only squat 147.5"
I don't know what you're after here. Everyone gets pain, you just work through it, you swim, eat, sleep and recover.
Do you want someone to say something like "wow for your weight and being untrained you squat a lot!!"
Just keep eating and keep a positive attitude, if you worry and whine over little pain you're never gonna make it brah.
Also this is OWG not squatGeneral.
>>
>>29921471
>40kg
Wait, what? Do those huge-ass red plates just weigh nothing?
>>
>>29928051
to be fair, I lift in swimming trunks
>>
>>29934848
they're technique plates
>>
>>29934767
well unless there's someone else with the same stats idk cos i only hit that last week. my height/weight is directly relevant to the question here, as is the weight im squatting as i want it to be clear maybe i shouldn't be feel like that with these weights

i'd rather be cautious and seek some actual advice about a tweak or niggle than take some 'hero' crossfit attitude and end up getting rekt like pas

>implying squatting isn't crazy important

thanks anyway though
>>
>>29922213
Who is this girl?
>>
>>29935151
megan seegert
>>
>>29934924
If you're worried then just deload, keep working and focus more on recovery. Don't train so hard if you're not sleeping and eating right. Active recovery is key.
>>
what the fuck is the "superman pull" that jon north teaches, and why should anyone do it compared to a normal clean?
>>
>>29936132
there's no such thing as a "normal" clean. a clean is a clean. there's many different ways to do it, and jon just teaches it in a way that attempts to maximize tension placed on the hamstrings by pulling the knees back as far as possible off the floor to deliver the strongest "finish" to to lift as possible. obviously this isn't the greatest technical description of it, but essentially it's how he describes the portion of the pull from the floor to the point right before the lifter pulls their shoulders back to finish the lift.
ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um4VxiI2Ng0
if you pause at the moment the video reaches the 10 second mark you'll see that at that point
-the knees are as far back as they go in the lift (shin angle is perpendicular to the floor)
-shoulders are at the furthest point infront of the bar
essentially, jon teaches that from the pull off the floor to this point is the "superman pull"

why should you do it? it's because he believes that it's the best way to pull a snatch and clean to deliver the most amount of power to the barbell. doesn't mean it's the best way, but it is not a wrong way of doing the lift either.
>>
>>29936132

i've spent a while trying to understand what he's talking about

first of all there's the "triple extension vs catapault" thing, which isn't a "vs" at all. triple extension isn't a technique, and "catapult" was just a phrase made up by a coach.

basically jon teaches staying over the bar for a long time, then pulling back hard with a lot of hip contact.

For the opposite of what jon does, look at Norik Vardanian (I think, someone feel free to correct me on this)
>>
>>29936132
I watched one video by North a while ago when he was starting to run his own gym.

I will never listen to him again. He advised general weightlifters to bang the bar off their hips as hard as possible in order to help get the bar overhead. From that point on it only further imbedded in my head that good athletes do not always make good coaches. While for him, he can bang the bar at his hips and still understand (whether he knows it or not) to keep it close via lats and whatever else he does, teaching this to newbies will result solely in a looped bar path.

Follow his advice at your own peril, it may or may not coincide with general teachings in weightlifting.
>>
>>29937139
lol he asked what a superman pull is and why people should do it, not the legitimacy of jon north's coaching style.
please do not start this shitstorm again
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 640x960px
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLfIeSgSBSoCJpz57KfVoqp4K4AeSFAfD
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLfIeSgSBSoDLL_m2n1kmP88cXi8NF7nS

I updated/put more videos on the playlist and created pl playlist if u guys are interested
>>
>>29937953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVCa7YEm4uQ
>tfw you will never be as handsome as kyle
>>
>>29938658
Damn its pretty cool to see how much better his tech has gotten since then.
>>
>tfw pointless front squat strength

met with a good Oly coach (he's done something like 152 CJ and 116 Snatch, friend of Broz) and he told me I'm probably a 6 months to a year of flexibility work out before I can snatch...
>>
>>29938723

>tfw should be cleaning at least 125-130
>tfw mobility is shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicZbB6KBvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Purzk8Ng6I
>>
>>29938801
Why is your gym on fire bro
>>
>>29938801
>>29938723
>http://www.qwa.org/Resources/Calculators.aspx
>tfw getting closer to what my ratios should be
>>
>>29938969

My best power clean from the floor is 235, at least that is somewhat close to what it should be based on a 340 front squat...

>>29938943
Fan right next to camera is distorting everything :P
>>
I did a heavy clean session , pretty much just an hour straight for funs, and now I have big bruises on my thighs. Am I pleb?
>>
>>29939020

WTG m8
>>
anyone got that klokov ebook?
>>
>>29939010
use kg pls, or specify lbs
i got real excited for a sec
>>
What was so special about yuri vardanyan? Can't say I've ever paid him any attention, but Everett was pointing out what a specimen he was
>>
>>29939395

400+ total at 82.5 and massive hops
>>
>>29939484
so what's the connection between jumping and oly lifting "potential"? is it safe to say that if I had a shitty vertical when I started that I simply won't be as good as someone who had a 32" vertical when they started? Or would it not be more correct to see how my ratios (eg. fsquat:clean) compare to top lifters?
>>
>>29939484

anything, I dunno, weird? I think the context was that he didn't squat much or very heavy
>>
File: Untitled.png (86KB, 261x684px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
86KB, 261x684px
>>29939576
eh, i think everett just kinda connected the dots and came up with that on his own
like the other anon said, huge total and explosive power
>pic related
also, holy shit dat dynamic start
http://youtu.be/ISvwEH3N9Bw?t=4m50s
>>
>>29939572

It's really about 3 things

fast twitch
levers
technique
>>
>>29939744

seems like a pretty good argument that you can make any body types work, those are some long legs
>>
Also this seems like a pretty cross-cultural reference but does klokov remind anyone of Lukas Podolski?

Still got it but not too active in the sport itself as much as social media, very likeable regardless
>>
Hey guys, I'd like a form check on my squat set, 100 lb x 5. I recently recovered from a bad lower back sprain from doing disgusting good morning low bar squats on SS. Now I'm falling in love with Oly. I'm a young and very skinny kid btw, 135 5'8 and bulking.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=liaG8uo4-OA

The thing is though that I am extremely uncomfortable with the Olympic bar position. My neck seems to hurt no matter where I put the bar, and scapular retraction seems to only exacerbate the problem. So I don't like to put on much weight. In general I've been having some crazy neck discomfort and (rarely) neck pain recently. In fact I'm kinda scared I have a cervical herniated disc, I tend to panic about these things). I don't know how I should deal with this neck pain for squats. Your advice? I'm honestly considering the pussy pad for now.

Also I seem to be posterior chain dominant, thanks to good ol Rippetoe. What do?
>>
I really like C&J but nothing else to do with lifting, can I just do that and make progress?
>>
bumpi
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.