[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did cloaks fall out of fashion? Considering all the polar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 15

File: cloak.jpg (105KB, 500x716px) Image search: [Google]
cloak.jpg
105KB, 500x716px
Why did cloaks fall out of fashion?

Considering all the polar vortexes and high wind chills, I think it's time we bring cloaks back.
>>
>>9134161
Because jackets and windbreakers exist you dumb faggot
>>
Because /fa/ couldn't find a way to make them look gay enough.

You seem to be forgetting that 90% of what /fa/ hails as fashionable is just whatever makes the wearer look like they take it in the ass from an iPad salesman.
>>
>>9134161
do you want to be a trilby-loving faogt?
>>
They used to be incredibly functional but modern advances in clothing and building insulation have rendered them useless. As a consequence of progress, the cloak fell by the wayside.

I don't think people really mind cloaks, it's just that you'll look so out of place wearing one that people will question your sanity.

I reckon girls could actually pull them off alongside Clint Eastwood-esque ponchos. I think guys would just look like a try hard Aragorn or some shit though.
>>
File: 27cvMI8l.jpg (50KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
27cvMI8l.jpg
50KB, 427x640px
I own one, picked it up right at the end of last winter so I haven't had too many chances to wear it, but I've still worn it a handful of times.

Cloaks are really, REALLY weird. If you think you got weird looks for your /fa/ggotry before, this is a whole new level. Like >>9134791 said, they're just so out of time and place for us that it's really hard to not look like you're a fucking comic book character.

One of my friends actually told me "nice cloak you fucking halfling." To be fair he's pretty basic, so that's not much worse than a derisive comment about leather gloves or something like that, but still, cloaks are weird.

As far as functionality goes, there are pros and cons. If you get a real cloak (mine is really heavy, all wool, really thick), it's basically like wearing a wind resistant wool blanket that's even better at insulating you than a coat, since there's a gap for warm air between you and your outer layer.

Another plus is that it's easy to keep adding layers underneath. Wear it over a sweater. Or over two sweaters. Or over two sweaters and a coat. Whatever.

Only real downside (assuming you like how they look) is that the cloak can open up in front if it's windy. This is fairly easily avoided by throwing one corner of it over the opposite shoulder, which honestly I think looks better than just wearing it open in front anyway.

The aesthetic is weird but cool. Heavy wool drapes beautifully. Pic related is mine.
>>
>>9134906
>leather gloves
i was with u until there
>>
>>9134947
it's probably cold where this guy lives so give him a pass on the leather gloves
>>
>>9134947
>>9134991
>not liking leather gloves

The fuck?

>mfw have gloves in lamb, peccary, and python leather
>adding custom made pairs in lizard and carpincho leather in a few weeks

Are gloves too #menswear for /fa/?
>>
>>9135000
Personally I just prefer wool or cashmere gloves.
>>
>>9134947
?

Echoing other posters here, what's wrong with leather gloves? Do they even make non ~techwear~ gloves in other materials than leather?
>>
>>9135000

Post pic of gloves. I want to see the python leather.
>>
>>9135000
python??
pix
>>
File: 500x500px-LL-a15d3931_IMG_2346.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
500x500px-LL-a15d3931_IMG_2346.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>9135035
>>9135047

Python back, lamb palm/sides, cashmere lining. They're my newest pair, and the only ones I have any photos of. Most other pairs (even the peccary) are fairly simple, just basic stock from Dents. The only other "weird" pair I have before I get my lizard/carpincho pairs is a studded Burberry Prorsum pair from a few seasons back.

Honestly wouldn't recommend python for gloves. It's cool but fragile as fuck. Honestly not sure how it'll hold up, but it feels like it could flake off really easily. Lizard should be a lot tougher.
>>
>>9134161

Many changes in fashion came when people stopped riding horseback. It was a major shift for practical reasons.
>>
>>9134906
beautiful cloak though, what's the source?
>>
>>9135000
wool gloves are the official shit if you need to prevent your hands from becoming gangrenous and frostbitten. Leather gloves are impractical, tryhard, lame, and/or gay, in addition to being stupid.
>>
>>9135079

Why not leather lined in a knit?
>>
>>9135074
First heard about cloaks and this specific brand on this SF thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/380576/

Online shop here:

http://www.tabarroshop.com/

My cloak is the 15/18 style (shortest one they offer), and that color seems to be part of a limited run. But that's just a guess, seeing as it's not one of the "normal" cloth options, but rather it's listed as "Art. Piave - Italian wool Light Grey."

>>9135079
You sound mad as hell, not to mention uninformed (>what is wool or cashmere lining). Most of my pairs are cashmere lined, with only one pair being unlined, and another pair being fur lined.
>>
File: cape 3.jpg (39KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
cape 3.jpg
39KB, 427x640px
>>9135098
this is astonishingly beautiful

if only the zipper matched the shoulder rivets
>>
File: 44.jpg (90KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
90KB, 600x800px
>>9135104

Idea is decent, but biker/cape hybrids have been done before and done better. They're simpler, but not too simple styles are better. Too bad they'll never see any distribution outside of Italy and Asia.
>>
I have an audrey cantwell (ovate) cloak I got when she only had her etsy store. Too bad it just makes me look like a giant mass of edginess.

I like cloaks though
>>
>>9135121
I really dislike the side drapes. It seems too locked into relating the mind to the more familiar biker jacket shape. The other one succeeds in its tempting you into believing its a biker cape symbiosis, but in fact ends very unexpectedly and flatly at a sheer bottom.
>>
>>9135053

Nice, I want some leather gloves, but it doesn't get very cold where I live.
>>
>>9135104
>>9134906

Post fit of cape and cloak
>>
File: 1417053433316.jpg (51KB, 601x469px) Image search: [Google]
1417053433316.jpg
51KB, 601x469px
>>9135098
>440,00 €
>>
>>9135185
Sorry bb, never taken a fit pic with it. There's really nothing to see beyond what it looks like in the stock photo, since it totally covers your tops and a lot of your pants.

>>9135206
>tfw spoiled little fucker

feels good man
>>
>>9135079
Lol you're trying to hard kiddo
>>
>>9135053
holy shit
your glove game is on point
what does a day to day fit for you look like
>>
File: yohji fit 17.jpg (107KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
yohji fit 17.jpg
107KB, 640x640px
>>9135185
One of my favorite street-style compositions. The photography is just perfect.
>>
>>9134791
I'm down w/ cloaks living on in women's fashion.
>>
>>9135221
I'm sure someone will call me autistic for this, but anyway:

Wool trousers (linen in summer)

Suspenders

Tee or linen button-down, always tucked in because of the suspenders

Leather shoes for summer, always boots as soon as it's cold enough. Mostly leather soled, mostly calfskin. Jumpers, chukkas, balmoral boots, ankle captoes, and my first chelseas are coming soon. Pic related is my cordovan jumpers, the only pair I have with me at home for thanksgiving.

Wool cable knit shawl collar cardigan

If it's cold enough, wool coat or the cloak. Also maybe a scarf.

And whatever gloves I'm feeling for the day. Depends on my mood and the rest of my fit.

A lot of my shit was originally dictated by finding /fit/ and having my bulk fuck my chances of wearing normal /fa/ clothes. Overbulked so I gave up on jeans for almost two years, and found that brooks brothers trousers fit me perfectly. Tried suspenders because I thought they'd be more forgiving about weight gain/loss than belts, and I was right; comfy and efficient as fuck, and I'm a fairly big guy now so I don't look like a fucking twink when I wear them. /fit/ is also why I love accessories so much, because I didn't have to worry about outgrowing those things, so I have loads of shoes, gloves, and glasses.

I'm no longer a fat fuck and I can actually wear jeans again, so occasionally I'll just wear jeans, a tee, and a sweater, but usually that's just for when I go to concerts.
>>
>>9135285
>I'm a fairly big guy
baneposting imminent
abandon thread

post your stats?
how old are you and what is your day job?
>>
>>9135005
Cashmere lined leather > almost anything else

I usually wear touchscreen dollar store gloves though because I always delude myself into thinking I "need" to check my phone
>>
I was surprised of how warm it keeps me considering its open to the front. I have the women's wool Cape that's currently sold on mango.

No hood but it would be too much I think , I get compliments all the time but it is a strange sight and comes across as a bit over the top.

it's really impractical when you have your hands full carrying a bag and something else. It hinders your range of motion a lot.
>>
>>9135292
>I usually wear touchscreen dollar store gloves though because I always delude myself into thinking I "need" to check my phone

;_;
>>
historically the only reason is cars. getting in and out of cars,
they are awkward in and around machinery as well.

this is a actual hist majors knowledge here.

cloaks were not outdone by modern materials or jackets, they are still functionally really useful and warm.
>>
>>9135290
>for you

Haha yeah saw that one coming from a mile away. I've never done strength training so my stats are fairly shit for my size. 20 years old, 6' and just over 200 pounds, peak strength was 120 pound OHP, 220 bench, 330 squat, 365 DL, before a jiu jitsu back injury took me out of the gym for almost two months, and a rugby injury shortly afterwards took me out for another month. Squat is down to 255 if that tells you anything.

I hope I don't sound like a total cock, but I've honestly never had a job. I'm a senior in undergrad at a fairly good school ("public ivy" for whatever that's worth) and that's it. I grew up really poor (homeless for a while), but my mom remarried well and always says she wants me to have an easier life than she did, so she spoils the shit out of me. Helps that I'm an only child and have a great relationship with her.

Also I'm not American and have yet to be granted permanent resident status or a work permit, so I can't work...which honestly isn't to say that I would if I could.
>>
>>9135299
>it's really impractical when you have your hands full carrying a bag and something else. It hinders your range of motion a lot.

For me the worst part is not being able to carry a backpack. Makes it a bitch when you actually have something to carry.

>>9135307
Didn't think about this until recently, but you're right; it's awkward. Seems like how it must be for girls adjusting their skirts before sitting down, since even heavy wool can get creased.
>>
>>9135331
i was asking about the age and job because, as you can imagine, i can only comfortably imagine those clothes on a 50 year old wizard looking grey haired guy.

how long have you been lifting?
those definitely aren't beginner stats but 75% of /fit/ apparently can lift heavier than you

full disclosure: i'm 5'10 145lb and my squat is 110 and my dl is 180
>>
>>9135416
Yeah I totally get that; my friends talk a lot of smack because I "dress like a granddad." Never met a granddad who wore custom cordovan boots, but that's neither here nor there... I just like wearing whatever seems cool to me. Most days I wear trousers, some days I wear a rainbow denim jacket. Whatever.

Started lifting 2 years and about 4 months ago. Right around your weight, ~140 pounds. Couldn't DL 100 pounds. Bulked like fucking crazy for about 8 months and shot up to--no joke--220. Obviously a lot of it was fat. Cut down to ~180, bulked again to 235. Lots of fat again. Cut down to 190, now bulking and at a decent ~202. Not shredded by any means, but can see my abs/intercostals when I flex.

/fit/'s stats can be disheartening especially for people like us who started out skinny. Some people start out fat as fuck and already have a lot of lean mass under their blubber; you and I had to start from scratch. Add in the factor of not knowing what the fuck you're doing and it takes ages to make gains. If I knew three years ago what I know now, I easily could have shaved a year off and still made the same progress. Always reference the internet for help with your form and planning your workouts.

Just gotta stick with it man. Don't take shortcuts with your diet or workouts, and keep good form on your big lifts. And most importantly compare yourself with your past self, rather than with other people. Just keep improving.
>>
>>9135469
>some days I wear a rainbow denim jacket

homie i'm gonna need some fit pics
>>
>>9135227
looks like the monster from spirited away
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 900x900px
>>9135504
No fit pic because very recent cop. Still loving the shit out of this. Our Legacy s/s 13.
>>
File: 35487-1.jpg (116KB, 930x930px) Image search: [Google]
35487-1.jpg
116KB, 930x930px
Opinions on Fjallraven's Luhkka?
>>
>>9135637
pathetic
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 350x500px
I adore cloaks. But i feel like you have to be extra skinny to pull it of as a female. Just to make the shilouette even more pronounced. But shit, look at how beautiful this is...
>>
>>9135730
nasty polyester modcloth shit
why do most girls on here have such awful taste
>>
>>9134791
>>9134906
I'm so glad to see constructive discussion. It's refreshing.
>>
>>9134707
>/fa/ is gay xdd
>that's why they don't condone fucking cloaks
>>
>>9135783
because you're a faggot
>>
>>9135916
lmao im a girl but okay buddy
>>
File: allcloakwearersarewirt.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
allcloakwearersarewirt.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>>
File: 1378473243376.png (690KB, 940x726px) Image search: [Google]
1378473243376.png
690KB, 940x726px
I want to buy the Stutterheim cloak but it's womens only I think
>>
File: 65363.jpg (205KB, 980x980px) Image search: [Google]
65363.jpg
205KB, 980x980px
>>9136050
Nobody wants to be caught wearing a feminine cloak, right?
>>
>>9135937
kik/snapchat?
>>
>>9136235
fucking lol
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.