[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fashion Design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Yo /fa/

So I have in head some designs which I would really like to make, I just dont know how to go about making an item of clothing. Does anyone have any guides on getting into fashion design? Wikihow and similar websites were less than useless.

Mainly I wanna make clothing, but shoe designing also looks like an important part of each fashion designers collection.
>>
>>9003677
there's really no replacing formal training, especially for footwear production. most cities usually have *decent* courses
>>
Do you want a "how not to be a complete retard. for complete retards - edition"?
>>
>>9003677

get into construction and pattern making. Soon you will realise there endless possibilities to design a garment and you will abolish your initial ideas.

Don't look online for pattern making. Read Books. Practice on the sewing machine. Be passionate about it.
>>
>>9003677
Give up now
>>
>>9004311
/thread
>>
>>9004257
I suppose in a way

>>9004311
Why? Honestly, if I gave up then I would never see my creations become real!
>>
>>9004384
1. look up courses in your city
2. enroll in courses in your city
>>
>>9004392
ok, i guess ill do that. Does anyone here have experience with doing these sort of courses?
>>
>>9004403
yeah
at their lower levels they're mostly filled with young girls, old people and a few guys
at higher levels like stage 4 classes and advanced diplomas you'll get a large variety of people who are passionate about what they're doing
if you get a good lecturer that genuinely feels you have potential they really will try their best to pass on all of their knowledge to you and help you along as best they can
also a good way to make industry connections on a fairly local level
>>
i started learning it from my mother about a month ago.
my first sweater is almost completed but doesnt look really good.
im starting to get better at it though.
can't you learn it from someone you know?
>>
>>9004424
are you knitting it? I cant really learn from someone I know, because I dont know anyone who can make clothes.

>>9004417
Sounds cool, have you finished your diploma? If so where did you go/ do after getting it?
>>
>>9004424
my grandmother was a pattern drafter then a professor of costuming, if you know someone like that then yeah of course
>>
>>9003677

"Pattern Making for Fashion Design":

http://k2s.cc/file/9137cee356782

People have good results with this
>>
Whats the best tech school for this in Chicago
>>
OP, before you go being a fashion designer, you need to learn how to make clothing. The basics, I mean. I guarantee some designs you're thinking of aren't physically possible.

Here are some steps-
>buy a cheap sewing pattern(beginner level) from ebay or a thrift/charity store
>use guides on the internet and various sewing/crafting forums to help you decipher pattern
>fuck it, use them for everything, there are shit loads of internet communities and sewing guides out there for bored housewives and retrothrifty chicks
>make clothing using the pattern

Now repeat this process several times with different fabrics/styles/patterns. Once you've become comfortable with a needle and thread, know which fabrics are best for which styles and you know your bobbins from your selvages, you can start to experiment with creating your own patterns.

>source; I'm a self taught sewer and have made at least half of my wardrobe from scratch.
>>
>>9005013
wow nice botnet dillweed
>>
>>9006417
is it possible to live out of it while you learn? i would do it if i werent for the fact that i need money and thus i have a job and no time
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.