[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you like the things you do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 15

Hey /fa/, why do you like the things you do (in the context of fashion and personal dress)?

I've always been drawn to certain things, and never really questioned why, it just felt "obvious" to me. Recently while browsing some other forums I realized how curious and fascinating a question this is. Why do I like the brands, the designers, the elements, the silhouettes that I do? I've only just started to think about this in the last day or so, so bare with me as my thoughts on this are quite vague as well. I'd like us to get together and actually have a good discussion, maybe we'll discover some interesting points.

Your tastes are developed and reflective of your life experiences. Do you recall these formative stages or experiences? What were and are your other interests, and have they affected your approach to dress at all? "Phases"? Introduction to fashion? Social background? Idk???

This is an open discussion, nothing is too silly to bring up. Feel free to speak whatever comes to mind.

So, /fa/, why do you like the things you do?
>>
I guess a simpler way to ask this would be something like,

>How have your tastes come to be as they are? How did you start and where are you now?
>>
>>8872502
They're all dressed by the internet, for the internet, to placate their inferiority complex and tangent narcissism /thread
>>
>>8872502
i would hardly take the wholly deterministic position of saying that your taste is necessarily a by-product of your life experiences, but yes, i'd agree that its a major influence

i for one am fascinated by americana, but i mean real americana, from when the idea of being an american was really being peddled as something desirable and unique (ergo, 60s onwards), maybe because im a foreigner and have a tremendous history boner. which is why i usually love what thom browne peddles
>>
>>8872569

Hm, taste / "aesthetic sensibility" is not a secondary result completely influenced by life experiences only, what would you say is / are the "other" elements that contribute to one's taste? Are you implying a possibility of "being born" with some of these elements? Because that's the only other thing I could think of, and I'm not really sold on that.
>>
>>8872561

Ok, might be true in some cases - but why? Why do some individuals not have a distinct preference of their own, instead being reliant on internet communities' approval to build themselves? What lead them to take this approach? That's kind of what I'm interested in.

I'll get around to posting my "story" sometime later because I do recall environments / experiences I was exposed to that definitely and directly influenced my preferences, but for now I'm interested in what other people have to say.
>>
>>8872586

>Hm, *if taste

Correction, my bad.
>>
>>8872599
lack of self-confidence/knowledge, I think.
Whenever you join a new group on a subject you're interested in joining, but don't know shit about, you naturally latch onto the first people you think will/does accept you.
Thus, they dress to their styles in hopes of furthering that relationship
As they learn more, if, and look into other groups, they get a more general sense of awareness of how things work. At some point, you figure out enough to start imagining your own combinations successfully, and actually have the chance to build closer to whatever you actually, personally, idealize
While also generally keeping it only a light inspiration because you're still part of whatever group and doing a hard pivot would be stupid as fuck

Or you go the other route, and with no actual knowledge, you try to start off moving towards whatever you idealize, and look like a complete faggot for 3 years. If you don't get trapped in a community of other faggots who accept you for your stupid faggotry because they're pulling the same stupid shit, you gain enough awareness to actually build towards that idealization, successfully
>>
I like planning tings , and I like making things. Because I like to make things, I like knowing how things work. I like mechanics and guns because of the intricate ways the two work. I used to be a boy scout, then quit because it was a shitty sjw "watch out for cyber predators!" bullshit.

I like practical shit, so I'm good at computers/electronics and I thus like techwear.

its honestly depending on your outside sources. my parents are Ukrainian, so there's a lot of that Slavic ingenuity mixed in. the entire "reuse or fix instead of throwing away" mentality.
>>
I actually explored this topic in college (Fashion Design, with a focus on the creative process) in many different subjects.
We were supposed to develop our own creative identity, but not only find out "what", they wanted the "why".
We'd study designers and see that their styles are almost always based on their early lives/teenage years.
Like how McQueen's obsession with the Vanitas theme was a reflection of his chronic depression caused by personal life and drug abuse. Or how Dior's ideal of feminine beauty and silhouette was completely based off his mother.

Anyways, it's of no use that I explain my creative mind here considering I'm not posting my works, but yes, my "style" is absolutely influenced by my experiences, specially the negative ones.

>also, props to most interesting thread in a while
>>
I've had a lot of training in fine arts, so formal qualities like color/shape/silhouettes come pretty much naturally to me. Putting together a fit is kinda like executing a drawing or painting in that it has to have cohesion and deliberation behind each choice. I've always wanted to experiment more but I don't have the courage to go really out there especially considering where I live.
>>
>>8872839

Yeah for sure, same goes for Yohji & his mother being his inspiration for his idea of femininity / feminine beauty.

>yes, my "style" is absolutely influenced by my experiences, specially the negative ones.

Yeah, I think we've already established this, but what I'm curious to hear is how. Digging deeper into your past a bit, is what I'm finding to be interesting. Those negative experiences sound intriguing, do you mind sharing if you have any specific instances you recall to be significant in this context?
>>
well the reason why i started to dress better was because i had terrible self confidence and general anxiety and all that stuff. i was never comfy and i always felt out of place. when i begun dressing better i found myself getting more confident and even looking forward to going outside to show off my sik fitz
>>
I don't exactly feel all too comfortable putting myself out here so personally like this, but I'll give it a shot anyways. This is more of a stream of consciousness where I'll be thinking upon these things as I'm going, and not so much "This is exactly what happened and this is exactly where it put me", just going to mention things that I think may have had an influence.

I was born in Korea into a very religious immediate family, and attended church every Sunday, without exception, for most of my childhood and early life. At church, all the men and boys would wear suits, same went for me. This was in the 90s - early 2000s, the cut of suits were "ill fitting" (by today's standards) and quite relaxed. I saw and wore suits all the time, and I later noticed in my teenage years that I considered suits to be very "obvious" or natural, but my peers considered them a rare formality, which they enjoyed (Events in highschool where we were required to dress formally, it seemed like kids really enjoyed it while I thought no different of the suit because it was something I grew up in)

Also, around the same time my dad worked in IT and would come home every evening, which was something my siblings and I always looked forward to. I have hazy memories of my dad walking through the front door in his suit. I also visited his workplace from time to time, a tall office building where he worked around computers and other men dressed in suits.

Cont.
>>
>>8872882

The question was less "what made you get into dressing" and more "what made you get into dressing in the specific way that you do?"

My bad if I implied otherwise. Might be something for you to think about, I think it can be quite interesting
>>
>>8872940

Around 2000 I think? He hired a team of Russian engineers / programmers to come work on his project at the time (bluetooth chips? I think he was one of the first to invent it in Korea, and I recall seeing his face in the papers one day, but anyways) and they all moved with their families to Seoul and worked with my dad. Their families would visit from time to time, and I would (try to) play with the Russian kids. Also, my parents' church was an international institution and had many "missionaries" from overseas come to Korea to spread their religious teachings, and they would often visit my family. I liked this image of "westerners", they were like alien older brothers (lol?). Oftentimes I remember they'd share personal photos of their families back in the States. My dad also went on lots and lots of business trips to the States, and would bring back lots of souvenirs, or films. My family also kept a good record of photo albums and I liked going through them alot.There were lots of photos of my dad in the States as well and I really developed a liking for this idea of the "west".

Cont.
>>
>>8872974

In 2001 I finally did move to the "west" (Canada) and I really enjoyed those times. It was a really awkwardly funny time of this super Asian family trying to understand and adapt to a new set of norms. My mom also took me shopping all the time (which I hated), wore tons and tons of GAP because that was what every other kid was wearing. Lots of rain jackets too, since the city I (still) live in is pretty rainy. Idk if everyone else had this growing up too but I did definitely have an awareness of dress. I wasn't deeply invested per se, but I did have an idea of what my favourite items of clothing were, and what "didn't go" well together. I wasn't completely oblivious to the process of dress.

Skip a ton of years and I'm pretty adjusted to western society, leading me to think Korean society was absolute bullshit and hating everything it stood for. Particularly because my dad was extremely conservative and I had alot of conflicts with him growing up because I was growing up in such a different environment than he had. So naturally I hated that part of my identity, and I remember in 2010 when I finally went back there for the Summer I was absolutely disgusted and never wanted to return.

Cont.
>>
>>8873003

2008 I think? There was a particular phase where I did have a huge hard on for Korean celebrity culture, and at the time there was a hugely popular ongoing show centered around this poor girl attending a prestigious academy with all these rich pretty boys. Until then my understanding of clothes was severely limited to Adidas and Nike hoodies, Puma sneakers. The show depicted the dudes in a luxurious prep look, and I specifically remember googling "(show name) clothing style" to discover that it was known as "prep".

Did tons of online "window shopping" of American Apparel because they kind of had that prep thing going on back then. It was a huge sartorial awakening, and around that time my birthday and Christmas gifts would always be AE gift cards. Bought some Polo shirts from Tommy Hilfiger and a pair of AE Chinos with my allowance.

Around the same time I met a friend in high school from Korea, who was super into clothes as well, but had been exposed to Japanese culture alot as a kid so was very into Japanese streetwear type stuff. I didn't really "get" his look and I actually remember a specific argument we had in class where he said that American Eagle wasn't that nice and I responded with something like "you don't know anything and have bad taste" then made fun of him for wearing "fake converse" which were actually CdG Play Chucks. Dude was mad ahead of the game. He would have been a SuFu superstar if he had posted there during that time.
>>
>>8873046

2010 I got into breakdancing, the first subculture I was ever involved in. It was a huge part of what I self identified as back then, and started dressing more "hip hop" (lol) with fitted hats, graphic shirts. A Stussy flagship had opened in my city recently and I got really into streetwear but only on a surface level. No brand / design awareness but more for identifying by getting the "look".

2011 My sister took me back to school shopping at H&M and mall stores, I think that was one of the times that I realized "wow, clothes can transform a person". Got into Lookbook.nu, GQ, read lots of magazines. Discovered /fa/ around this time too but thought it was shit.

2012 I'd reached full topman - core, but I think I was good at it. I definitely was quite content with how I dressed and I don't think I looked too bad either. H&M x MMM collaboration was announced that summer, and the aforementioned friend and I decided to go line up. Discovered SZ around October? A month before the collaboration release, and read what people there had to say about the collaboration, which was not good. Around the same time my cousin asked me to write a university paper for her in exchange for cash, so I decided to write about the detrimental qualities of fast fashion - all while I had the biggest hard on for the collaboration. Lined up overnight and met a particular dude in line, who was a reseller. This guy was the "goth ninja" I'd only ever heard of, was a long time SZ poster, and was talking about deconstructionism and Helmut Lang when I first saw him. Needless to say that was a really shitty night where I learned alot of things about myself and what I was doing.
>>
>>8873098

Inspired by the dude I had met, I went home and started something like a "gothninja inspo folder" (lol) but after a few weeks I realized I had no clue what these clothes were even about or what I really wanted to look like. All I knew was that I was done with fast fashion, and discovered that there was more to fashion and dress than topman and H&M.

2013 I spent the first 6 months until highschool graduation wearing the exact same outfit to school every day. A black t shirt, skinny jeans, and converse.

I was also notified of a Japanese fashion exhibition going on in a nearby city later that year so decided to look into Japanese designers so I could have a better understanding of the things I was going to be looking at.

Cont.
>>
>>8873130

Discovered Yohji and this is where all of these things I was talking about comes together, I think. His words really resonated with me, and I felt that the clothes were such a perfect representation, both symbolically and stylistically / visually of elements I felt comfortable / "at home" with.

>"The people who choose freedom, these are special people, or these are the sad people, you can say. Freedom carries a strong responsibility. If you deny the way of ordinary families, you have to find how you make people sad, how you are hurting people. What you are creating or what you are saying is not understood, so you will always feel isolation. It’s always walking on the edge of life, every day. I call this ‘outsider of life’. So let’s say my men’s line is ‘outsider’ look, ‘outsider’ fashion"

Going against pretty much everything my parents had wanted for me (follow in the footsteps of academia, be religious, be a "good boy" in every manner of life) all throughout my youth, I'd often felt super alienated. But here was this dude telling me that we're all gonna make it, and his menswear really reminded me alot of my childhood, a time of ignorance and care - free ness. Plus I thought it looked better on me, having quite a slender frame and narrow shoulders, to wear clothing with more volume that hid some of that. Growing up I always felt that Korean culture was extremely superficial, striving towards impossible standards of perfection. It was all so fake and I hated it. With fashion there, everyone looked too well "put together" and formulated. So the idea of imperfection in the clothes really appealed to me, I liked wearing stuff that fit a bit awkwardly.
>>
>>8872867
Basically, my creative identity is a personal interpretation of many concepts, some of them being heroin chic, substance abuse, modern mental disorders, all wrapped up in luxury textures and expensive stuff. Pretty much a glamorization of all that is wrong with adulthood and rich individuals, with a hint of "American Psycho"-style way of life.

My family is very rich, and old. My parents were the perfect "tv ad" couple, dad military police officer, mom a retired lawyer turned housewife. 3 kids including myself. Long story short, in reality things were shitty, and at 13 I found out my dad was actually a Special Ops Leader (or whatever the rank). He basically got paid to kill people on a monthly basis, since we live in a pretty violent country. A couple years later, dad lost his shits, almost killed mother. This was my first exposure to extreme psychological distress and disorders, which obviously left a pretty strong impression on my young mind.

During my teenage years, my family grew apart and I was diagnosed with chronic dysphoria (the opposite of euphoria). I was a shut-in, until one day I was "adopted" out of nowhere by a bunch of nightclub personalities who made me into their own little babby. Sorta like Michael Alig in party monster, only with a lot of money involved.
I did cocaine for 5 years, both inhaled and injected. Abused a rainbow of meds, would make Amy Winehouse proud.
As a socialite, I was exposed to crowds as a "prized possession" of my makeshift family, and one of them in particular (my "dad") was, to this day, the person I most loved and hated in the whole fucking world. I'd die for him.
I had a couple of relationships, one of them with a diagnosed sociopath, another with a bipolar narcissist... They all basically destroyed my ego and what was left of my sanity.

Nowadays I'm married and pretend to be a normal person, take meds daily to maintain sanity and creativity flowing.
>>
File: Mood, Ideas, Atmosphere (98).jpg (367KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Mood, Ideas, Atmosphere (98).jpg
367KB, 1920x1200px
>>8873189

I still do carry alot of the appreciation for the things I enjoyed in my previous phases, except now they've been translated a bit.

So I guess the main elements I enjoy in dressing myself as of now can loosely be worded as "oversized, imperfection, 90s, a bit of fun streetwear (still love Stussy), "conventional" things (eg. suits) with / in a not - so - conventional twist, reflective of the identity I've come to through growing up as a "failed" outcome of a very conventional environment.

Everything is always an ongoing process, and there are a ton of other things I've been quite interested in as of late but it's so recent that I don't know what to make out of it yet other than "hell yeah that looks fucking awesome!!!", maybe in time I can look at it in retrospect and try to make a connection.

I think I went off on a tangent alot of times and the conclusion was somewhat anticlimactic, but for now this is how I explain why I like the things I do. If anybody is reading hope it was somewhat interesting.
>>
>>8872502
Not too sure where it comes from sadly, but I've always been fascinated with darkness. As a kid, I'd say my favourite color was black, which adults found weird. I have a deep passion for occultism, gothic horror literature, weird arthouse cinema, renaissance art, post punk, 80s goth and black metal. So naturally when found out about Gothninja it resonated with me very strongly. I've never just emulated the look even though I like it a lot (Not just because I'm poor, I like to think). I take elements of it and incorporate them with other things I like, such as heroin chic/YSLcore, streetwear and touches of punk/alternative fashion (I'll sometimes wear things like platform shoes).
>>
>>8873205

Wow, that's alot of stuff to take in at once. Thank you for sharing that. Those are some pretty intense formative experiences and I'd like to hear more about how you actually dress and how they directly translate into the elements in dress you enjoy (if at all), but I understand if that's a bit much to share. It's quite uncomfortable putting a personal part of yourself out here is what I felt while typing up my posts but it's all worth it if I can hear from others like you as well.

I would not dare say that I understand what you went through but I feel like I've experienced some of that insanity in a different way, especially regarding disoriented family issues, what is being presented on the outside vs. what happens on the inside. I too was also "adopted" by a random group of friends, not from being dysphoric but from conventional mindsets. Exposed me to drugs as well but not even close to the levels you're talking about. The drugs for me were more of a mind opening experience than a deteriorating experience (correct me if I'm wrong), if I haven't misunderstood what you were trying to say by bringing that up.

Do you (still) work in fashion at all? You seem like quite an interesting individual, thanks again for sharing all that.
>>
>>8873251

Actually I might be wrong but I think that you actually do know where it comes from?

Wouldn't the experience itself of being "fascinated by darkness and related things as a kid" be a reason to why you like the things you do? Because that's kind of how I explain / make connections to things in my own context, it would be a whole other story to get even more specifically into "what made me like darkness". Who knows, might even be something you don't remember, might be a subtle exposure to elements over time, or whatever.

That's pretty cool though. Personally growing up I was fucking terrified of those things and thought they were degenerate as shit because I grew up in a conventional household and those things simply did not exist (or were acknowledged to exist) in Korean society, but in recent years I've found stuff like that to be fucking awesome in spirit, recently went to a black (?) metal (or a combination of metal genres) show because my friend is super into it and it was an incredible experience. Loved it.
>>
OP here, going for dinner, would be really cool if more people participated. Don't let my paragraphs of rambling put you off, let's hear about the things you like!
>>
>>8873226

thanks for sharing

was a nice nighttime read
>>
>>8873266
I can talk about anything at all, really. Dissociation is part of my daily basis, I often forget important information about myself (age, childhood) or feel my memories do not belong to me, almost like I just.. downloaded them from someone else, if that makes any sense.

My personal style is pretty tame atm, since I'm not part of the nightclub scene anymore. My obsession with deranged bodies remains, though, and I don't own anything that isn't black. Black, to me, is absence itself. I don't feel physically well in any other color.
Almost nothing I wear is made for comfort, only for looks. I'm like a sophisticated heroin chic faggot, anorexic, pale, tight clothes under heavy jackets, coats, cloaks.. I also enjoy animal fur, that's pretty much the only thing I wear in other colors.
I love my legs (they remind me of deer), I love my bones.. I dislike my face, though I've modelled in the past. I have a hormonal disorder that makes me look unusually young, around 17, when I'm actually 24.
I can elaborate more on anything you want to ask about.

Regarding the drugs, I'd kill to have those mind-opening experiences. All I got was expanded creativity, horrible hangovers and the beginning of an OD. Never OD on coke, kids, it feels like hell.

Atm I'm managing some projects between two international organizations (trying to get one to sponsor the other for a fashion event), finishing up the concept of a press kit for a brand and studying to give a lecture on shopping malls (their socioeconomical focus through visual merchandising).

Thank you very much for the kind words, I needed that today.
>>
I wouldn't recommend reading this, it's going to be boring.

I'm currently 18 years old and a freshman in college. I discovered /fa/ during my sophomore year in high school, but I've been on 4chan much longer than that.

My mother and father were divorced by the time I was 4 or 5, it's hard to remember. I lived with my mother in Florida up until the 8th grade, at which point I chose to move to Missouri with my father because the high school there was a lot more calm. The high school where my mom lived apparently had a really bad gang shooting incident some years after I moved, lol.

My mom was a huge pushover, so I was raised without having any responsibilities like chores or even doing my homework. My mom would actually do my homework for me. When I moved, my dad pushed me to work harder and school, and so over the years I've been gradually developing a decent work ethic. It's still really hard to motivate myself to do shit, even if it's really important.

I don't like going off of the myers-briggs test, but according to that I'm an ENTJ, which seems accurate. I hate calling myself an "intellectual," but let's just say I'm a very pragmatic person and I'm very passionate about practical ethics, which I spend unreasonable amounts of time thinking about. I want to go on to do really important shit for the benefit of others, like preventing AI from wiping humans out in the next 60 years, but my lack of work ethic has me in this shit university in missouri where I'll go nowhere.

I'm not a creative person. When I got into fashion, the purpose was initially to use it as a form of social control. I wanted to control what people thought as they looked at me. I quickly discovered that fashion was actually a really enjoyable and accessible form of creative expression, and it basically became the only creative thing in my life.

Cont
>>
File: MEP_RAF_W_V_2006-2.jpg (186KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
MEP_RAF_W_V_2006-2.jpg
186KB, 800x600px
>>8873349
I was first drawn in by #menswear bullshit, got into GQ and dumb shit like that. I looked really fucking bad because I had no idea what looked good on me, I had no sense for aesthetics, I'm fucking colorblind and I tried way too hard to match ridiculous colors. You know how sometimes fedora wearing neckbeards will sometimes try to dress "classy"? Well imagine that, only instead of them deciding to dress like le supreme gentlemen, imagine if they tried to dress like the dandies you see in GQ. I literally looked like an autistic dandy.

I progressed from that soon enough, and by my junior and senior year I was more interested in minimalism. I got better at dressing, and many people at my school thought I dressed well. However, I dressed more like a pseudo hipster because I tried to get with this one pseudo hipster chick that went antiquing for Beatles records and took more pictures of tea than she actually drank, shit like that.

I'm on too many tangents here, but basically just know that I developed an appreciation for texture. In menswear, you'll see people obsessing over the textures of their suits and shit, while pseudo hipsters obsess over the texture of their sweaters and shit like that.

Recently, I've decided to pursue my longstanding interested in minimalism. Here's where all that dumb shit I said before is going to be tied together lol.

I'm really inspired by some of Raf Simons' most recent collections. I hate tumblr kids that talk about Raf Simons, please don't mistake me for them. My inspiration comes mostly from the way that Raf decided to show his collections in his advertising campaigns. (pic related)

This particular image really interests me. When I look at the model, I get this sense of insecurity and boyishness. He's not standing with a commanding presence, he's slouching, or laying down in the grass. He's wearing a finely cut suit, but with garish sneakers and in strange colors and other details, like the cross lapel strap.

Cont
>>
>>8873436
The details of the suit also give the impression that the wearer is in some way an intellectual, as in not absent minded as he lazily sits in the grass in that forest.

I feel like I really resonate with this because I've always felt like I could have been a really useful person, I could have developed myself better in the past, I could be attending a university that would actually help me get to a position where I could reasonably call myself an "intellectual." But that's not me, I'm just some insecure boy, constantly hunching over and wearing clothes that obscure my body so that people won't notice me. I feel like I'm that insecure boy, sitting in the grass and daydreaming as he stairs at dirt.

This is of course very silly, and my analysis of this image and my resonance with it probably isn't completely in line with Raf's actual intentions. It is truly how I feel, though.

So that is essentially why I dress the way I do. I like to wear clothes that have a lot of attention to detail, as well as clothes that are not revealing of my body at all. I like wearing clothes that have a lot of thought put into them, in other words.

But I also like the way I dress to be understated. My clothes may be intricate, but they are quiet.

I put my clothes on, I lounge around between classes, and I just keep to myself. My thoughts and my clothes.
>>
File: Mood, Ideas, Atmosphere (105).jpg (171KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mood, Ideas, Atmosphere (105).jpg
171KB, 800x1000px
>>8873347

Your personal style sounds super awesome. It's like the deranged heroin chic - except you've actually lived that life... Incredible to imagine how that might show through your clothing and presence. I'm always for the idea that the man makes the clothes, not the other way around. One should be "in front" of their clothing, clothing shouldn't be "in front" of them, if that makes sense. Interesting foundation makes for interesting expression.

I'd recommend psychdelics (if you haven't tried them already) for mind opening experiences but I personally have little experience with them (which was absolutely phenomenal), but you really have to be in the right time and place in life for something like that so I'm not sure it'd be the best idea to experiment with them now based on what I've heard from you. But hey, your call though, I don't know you, you know yourself and your circumstances better.

I'm also headed into the field of Fashion Design as well, though I have not yet enrolled in a program. I thought I was way too young and stupid to dive into such a complex and competitive field like that straight out of highschool, so I've been taking a couple years off, which haven't always been full of good times but I wouldn't take them back for the world.

As opposed to when I first started my venture into this field, nowadays I don't have many other questions about it because I've figured that it's best just to "shut up, enroll in a program, and work hard", but if you do have any other related advice you might think would help then by all means, I'd appreciate hearing it.

And no problem, it's really nice how 4chan allows for occasional genuine interaction like this from time to time.
>>
>>8873349
>>8873436
>>8873481

Thanks for sharing, I definitely relate to some of the things you talked about especially since we're around the same age.

I really enjoyed that part about the Raf campaign, I'd seen it before and I felt a similar vibe, but was not thoughtful or eloquent enough to put the image it gives off into words or an idea. I too really like awkwardness like that in clothing.

Hey, I don't think that's silly at all. Your reasoning and connections seem pretty articulate and they make sense. We're all just figuring stuff out, so if that's how you feel, there is nothing wrong with that.

I think that's something I've been pursuing partially as of late as well : dressing subtly, "anonymous" but with a distinct presence.

Thanks again for sharing that, it was a great read
>>
Wish I had time to read the rest of this thread, hopefully it is still here in the morning.

As for my answer, though, my tastes and preferences in terms of fashion and clothing have only recently begun to develop. Until a year or so ago I didn't give two fucks about fashion as I was more interested in getting loaded on opiates but once I quit that I decided to improve myself beyond a drug addiction; I browse /fit/ and /fa/ pretty regularly now. As to how that relates to my sensibilities and taste I can only say that at the moment I am somewhat of a trendwhore and have taken to a subdued streetwear-ish look. I like all sorts of looks in the fashion world, from Harajuku shit to hippycore to seapunk, but I believe I only have the ability to really pull of a minimal look that is still fairly basic.

I am attracted to occult type things, such as copper, iron, cobalt, silver, and gold accessories with black and drab/muted colors for clothing as the aesthetic of that "vampy" and fake cult look is extremely cool to me. Further, the more recent health goth look I am enraptured by. It is so effing dope looking but unfortunately I think a bit too costumey to wear anywhere but a really big city.

Perhaps my years of drug use and love of that grungy life style brought me to a point where I like more niche areas of things. As I am still fairly new to finding out what I like and what might suite me I expect that to change drastically. I just recently started making my own clothes so we will see what comes of that.

Agh, rambling, I just liked the question. Good on you, OP.
>>
Well that is an interesting question that hasn't come to mind.

Myself I tend to dress in khaki and white and browns and natural colors with an "adventure" look. Often with a hat and a bush jacket when it is cold.

That being said I have always dressed this way, as when I was a kid I was in the boy scouts and was always outdoors. So for me natural colors were what I drifted to as they were my favorite together. I wanted to be an archaeologist as a kid so I often chose to dress like that even going as far as to wear an Indiana Jones fedora.I looked like a carbon copy. I eventually was known as "Indiana Jones" within my circle of friends. I eventually became more aware of fashion and how people would notice and judge me so I started to bridge away from being a copy of him to just taking the iconic outdoorsy hat and changing the other clothes to being more prep in a way. I wore button down white shirts and khaki jeans with either my denim jacket or leather jacket. I then kept that style throughout high school. I was good looking and was good at sports so I wasn't part of the nerd crowd and had friends in drama so I was well rounded. I just dressed a certain way and I made what I wore "fit" me as it were. I was very confident in what I wore and I was certain that I looked good. I only had one incident where someone called my indiana jones to make fun of me. He said something along the lines of " what are you an archaeologist gonna go dig in the dirt like a little kid" I then told him yeah I was and that I loved digging. Well he didn't have a clever retort so it was a little awkward for him. Side note we eventually became friends over our love for archery.

Now I am in school to become an archaeologist and still dress this way. While I know some in my classes think I am trying too hard to be indiana jones it doesn't bother me.
>>
File: Photo on 9-29-14 at 2.12 PM #3.jpg (137KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 9-29-14 at 2.12 PM #3.jpg
137KB, 1080x720px
When I was younger I don’t really remember what I used to wear - DPAM, The Gap, whatever else my parents used to dress me in. I didn’t really start dressing myself until like, 11 or 12? I guess I dressed relatively well, my parent’s have always been somewhat “fashion-conscious” and I guess that applied to wanting their kids to dress well as well. I’ve talked on other places about some of the garments I’ve gotten from my father, and he still remains a big inspiration for me (obviously not just limited to clothing), and one of my greatest role models. I guess the way he dressed certainly influences the way I dress now, considering some of the clothing I got from him and how often I wear it
>>
File: Photo on 9-29-14 at 4.01 PM.jpg (66KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 9-29-14 at 4.01 PM.jpg
66KB, 720x480px
>>8873823
Anyway, when I moved to Australia, I started really dressing myself. I really just wore pretty normal stuff: cargo pants, jeans, baggy button-ups, skate shoes or other sneakers. Pic attached is me at like 11 or so? Anyway I guess even then it was a projection of what I liked: video game, music and comic book shirts, skate shoes, which really what the act of wearing clothes in public is, if people pay attention, they can pick up on your aesthetic preferences: the cut of jeans you like, how you like your jacket to fit, your sneakers of choice, etc. Not that I dress with this “advertisement” in mind, but I still think it’s quite a funny “side-effect” of wearing the clothes you like. As I got progressively older, my style became somewhat more formal - jeans, doc martens and polos/button-ups practically every day
>>
File: fit.png (159KB, 236x506px) Image search: [Google]
fit.png
159KB, 236x506px
>>8873828
I think at about 15 I started getting into “fashion” - until then it was really more of a spectrum from like, fast-fashion up to the ready-to-wear of the big houses everyone is cognisant of (LV, Prada, Gucci, etc). Almost all my exposure was through the internet, but it was amazing, seeing almost an entirely new spectrum of clothing. It was like thinking music only went from kids music to top 40 pop to rock to classical and then say, listening to charles mingus or merzbow. It was so much more immediately interesting to me and there seemed to be so much to obsess over. I remember my first "real" clothing purchase, these jeans. I'm sure everyone's familiar with this fit, it's a bad fit, more than two years old at this point. But it's the sort of stuff I was interested in and looked into even further later: classic outdoorswear, workwear, etc. Even the sense of history that the palladiums had, being worn by the french legion, appealed to me because the stuff I was wearing before didn't really have that, or at least I didn't really know/think about it
>>
File: 92AUirk.jpg (193KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
92AUirk.jpg
193KB, 2000x1333px
>>8873838
My tastes, like a lot of the internet was back then, were very sided towards Japanese labels - Undercover yeah, but moreso the "new heritage" brands like Junya Watanabe and White Mountaineering. I spent hours looking at their clothing, even though I was only slightly familiar with where they took their inspiration from: European hunting brands, 60/70s hiking labels like Chouinard and the North Face, Classic American outdoorswear companies like Woolrich and Filson. I eventually started investigating into these more and more, reading articles about Woolrich and finding the link between Engineered Garments and this facet of Americana, learning about Macintosh through their collaboration with Junya, and just buying too much stuff, mostly Junya.

In retrospect I don't think I dressed that well though. Even if you look at a fit like this, it's still "showing off" my taste with the huge Future Days print - I wanted this jacket for the longest time, but really owning it was a disappointment. The sneakers aren't anything I'd wear now either.
>>
>>8873851
i'll buy it frm u
>>
File: 1409580186720.jpg (69KB, 411x960px) Image search: [Google]
1409580186720.jpg
69KB, 411x960px
>>8873851
I ended up feeling like I'd "grown out" of what I was wearing, I was just constantly buying and selling stuff and while I appreciated the objects none of them really "stuck" with me. I branched out, because I was interested in other labels as well: Patrik Ervell, who drew from the same 80s outdoorswear influence as White Mountaineering, learning more about Yohji and Rei from Junya and then looking back at all these designers I had passed by (Dries, Ann, Yohji, etc) because I was so myopic and only focusing on one facet of clothing, what I was wearing at the time, It was a real opening of my awareness, and it lead to a lot more introspection about what clothin meant to me. Turning 18 I was buying from a ton of labels - Ann Demeulemeester, L'Maltieri, Comme des Garçons Homme Plus, Stephan Schneider - all labels which I still like and some which I still wear. My style was really just piecemeal, linen shirt with whatever trousers and doc martens. I was experimenting more with silhouette, as you can see from this fit - again, not a great fit, but I still love this knit and wear the top block (Knit + Linen shirt) all the time

>>8873867
It's long sold
>>
File: lemaire.png (265KB, 233x650px) Image search: [Google]
lemaire.png
265KB, 233x650px
>>8873877
Then, early on in 2014, I just got sick of it. I don't know what happened, I was just spending so much time looking at clothing and reading about it, and it just all felt pointless and frustrating (especially since I was broke at the time, it seemed to me that if I couldn't *buy* the clothing the pursuit of "fashion" was pointless). I was still engaging in the cycle of buying and selling of things, and there was like a huge purge. Some items I really regret letting go of, others I feel I'm better without, but either way, my closet was pretty much stripped bare while I tried to grapple with this ridiculous idea of dressing "normally".

Perhaps the break gave me some space to reevaluate my relationship to clothing and just not to look at shit so seriously. Pic related is my most recent fit and I think it does a decent job at showing what I like to wear. There's definitely a silhouette I gravitate towards and a cut of trousers I prefer over everything else, and I find myself at least more open-minded and easy going in regards to buying and wearing clothing. I still buy from labels I liked before, particularly Yohji, CDGH+ and Schneider, but also find myself buying things from designers that are new to me and provide fun new avenues to explore (Leder, JJVE, Lemaire) as well as wearing a few pieces from my father and pieces I buy at thrift and consignment stores. I'm still interested in the "history" of the clothing - I still do like workwear, but it's the more refined, and whimisical european style of, say, Leder or Harnden than the flashy Japanamericanism of Junya.
>>
>>8873904
no a fence but that fit is hilarious I'm imagining u running at me wearing that with an angry face ahaha
>>
File: 1410886617581.png (653KB, 580x801px) Image search: [Google]
1410886617581.png
653KB, 580x801px
>>8873904
>>8873877
>>8873851
>>8873838
>>8873828
>>8873823
>>8873725
>>
File: middle aged mexican woman.jpg (42KB, 209x274px) Image search: [Google]
middle aged mexican woman.jpg
42KB, 209x274px
>>8873904
>>8873877
>>8873851
>>8873838
>>8873828
>>8873823
>>8873725
junior, darling?
>>
File: november_2013.png (210KB, 1216x743px) Image search: [Google]
november_2013.png
210KB, 1216x743px
>>8873226

Hey man. Check out the screenshot I've attached from the archive– I remember you chiming in on a thread last year. I like your writing style, and I'm thankful for getting the chance to hear more of your story. I haven't been frequenting /fa/ as much these days, so it's an unexpected treat.
I hope you had a good summer, and I hope autumn treats you well.
godspeed
>>
it began with transformer tees, then kingdom hearts and then i ran into this void which didn't say anything to me. it didn't care.
>>
>Before I didn't care at all. Jeans, hoodies and graphic tees.
>Then buttondowns, slim jeans. #menswearish
>Now, darker colors. Burgundy, dark green, navy, black, grey, white. Started wearing blazers and leather shoes. Trying to get comfy.
>>
File: tumblr_n50f6kckU01r8az9do1_1280.jpg (232KB, 1158x830px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n50f6kckU01r8az9do1_1280.jpg
232KB, 1158x830px
Growing up my parents let me experiment and generally be myself/do whatever I wanted to do in the moment. I remember I loved Shakira and wanted to dance like her and they didn't mind. Or like when I wanted to be like my brother and skateboard like him. In general I tried to emulate people I found inspiring, which I think most people do growing up.

I'm still pretty young, and I still find myself doing the same thing. I'm inspired by people that are just being themselves and owning their look. Clothing that looks effortless or comfortable is typically what I like, mostly because I think that's when people look most confident. I dislike it when an outfit looks too thought out or too perfect. It's a bit boring to me.
>>
i got into fashion fairly recently, i don't know why it took so long. i was always very interested in industrial & interior design, architecture, etc. i started being interested in architecture in my early teens after i learned about bauhaus in art class, which has kinda been the basis of my philosophy. "form follows function" and fashion seems to be really closely related to it, unless you go to people like ccp who seem to throw all of that overboard (don't like it) - a coat should be warm, a boot should be made for walking etc. design should come from that, and the aesthetic. atleast for me, so that's where i am right now although i'm not as purely minimalistic in my aesthetic as i used to be. i will always look for the practical first. i also have an obsession with old industrial ruins, which i have no idea why. so what i like now are fairly minimalistc pieces, often distressed or having some other form of hint of industry or destruction, but not to a point they cease to "work". i dont care much what /fa/ thinks, although some people here can be pretty helpful and are knowledgeable.
>>
>>8873904
> 18
> Dresses like my grandfather
> Somehow able to afford Schneider to Junya
> Very elitist because his tastes are almost fully curated by the internet (bulls hit about his father aside)
You ever wonder why you don't have friends mate? Why you spend all your time posting on sufu? You are so far removed from the average Australian 18 year old that it's almost comical. The best thing you can do for your wardrobe is to go out and experience life nigga
>>
>>8874405

All the insults aside, I think you've put it very well into words with that last sentence. The best thing anyone can do for their wardrobe is to go out and experience life, especially life's facets unrelated to "fashion" I think yields more interesting connections
>>
>>8873904
My Internet has been down for 5 days so I thought I'd watch some TV with my mum, she saw me browsing /fa/ on my phone and saw this outfit and laughed and said "wow what the hell is he wearing, do you have a picture of his face?" I showed her the picture of your face and she laughed and said "wow there's really some weirdos and creeps out there"
>>
>>8874456
indeed, including weirdos and creeps who will make up stories about interactions with their selves and their mother in an attempt to insult the personal appearance of strangers
>>
>>8874478
I'm not even joking, we are watching big brother and Deon got evicted, I'm still laughing at the image in my head of you running at me with an angry face wearing that grandpa outfit, be honest though, how tall are you? 5'9? I'm laying in bed now and I can't stop laughing at that image in my head, maybe it's because I haven't had Internet for 5 days but still :)
>>
>>8874490
i don't think you're talking to who you think you're talking to
>>
>>8874640
fuck off retard
>>
>>8874832
no you
>>
I've always sort of been obsessed with power. The feeling that comes with being able to give an order and have others follow it is orgasmic for me. I grew up in Forthill, Ohio where the majority were simple farmers. Everyone dressed in jeans and coveralls. When I was 13 my parents met with a lawyer from the city in order to discuss a land dispute(I think). He was wearing a crisp black suit and he spoke with authority. From then on I associated this style of dress with important people. I started to emulate it, adapting it, until I'd created my own personal style of menswear. When I dressed like this people acknowledged me, listened to me and treated me better, respected me.

This all sounds kind of fucked up when I read it.
>>
>>8875960
>This all sounds kind of fucked up when I read it.
That sounds perfectly fine.

When I was a kid my parents would argue on how to dress me. Father wants me to dress in sweaters, jackets and jeans while my mother prefer chinos and button ups. They would go in a heated argument especially during vacations or shopping.

Now that I grew up I'm stuck with memechrome, probably because it's simple and easy to wear. No color, no fuss.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 303x166px
>>8872561
You can't thread your own post retarded faggot.
>>
>>8872502
Brand loyalties are established at a young age. I assumed fashion can be that way too in a sense. Certain ways of dressing that people enjoy when they're a kid into teenage years can cement that idea or style. Even if it's not the exact style, they would likely dress in something that gives them the same feeling other looks they saw as kids gave them
>>
i used to play soccer alot growing up and now im into sportswear and techwear
>>
dont let this thread die
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.