[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any talented /fa/gs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_5829.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5829.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
do you make your own clothes? not talking about scabs and that kind of diy shit, but buying material and going at it from scratch.
pic related, leather flip flops I made.
>>
>mfw just got hired as a design consultant
>paid 50,000 to design 6 garments a year
Did I do gud?
>>
>>8541090
HOW what did u study etc???? ;-;
>>
>>8541090
Pretty awesome man
>>
>>8541090
Nice!
>>
I've sewed a couple T-shirts.
>>
>>8541090
well then post example of your work... that's purdie much the whole purpose of this thread ainit?
>>
>>8541125
I studied finance
On my spare time I made a small run of clothing
Then some boutique approached me with the offer
I'm just chillin now looking at a folder full of models to select for the look book
No one ever asked me if I ever studied design kek
>>
>>8541146

well, in their defence, design schools are a racket and st martens is a joke
>>
>>8541166
no it isn't
>>
>>8541090
>>8541146
youre either leaving some major detail out OR straight up making shit up...no offense....do you have any prior experience designing professionally? not just drawing sketches on paper...making proper blueprints? unless this particular co saw numerous impressive garments made by you - theres NO WAY IN HELL ANY FA CO would hire someone without at the very least seeing your background/PORTFOLIO/internships etc...

unless its your uncles company and you just sucked his dick

jus sayin
>>
>>8541211
>On my spare time I made a small run of clothing
>>
File: DIYHenley.jpg (367KB, 1600x459px) Image search: [Google]
DIYHenley.jpg
367KB, 1600x459px
This is a Linen Henley I've been working on. Still have to make the placket, get some nice wooden buttons, and do the sleeves.
>>
>>8541247
Is it hard to work with, I know it's not very stretchy?
>>
>>8541247
It looks like it's starting to come together pretty nicely, whats your experience?
>>
>>8541256
not him, but the stretchier, the harder usually.
>>
>>8541227
define "small run of clothing"

bc people dont just make small runs. you need to have the proper equipment and training. not to mention experience.

please do post your work. im sorry to be so skeptical....i just know how competitive fashion industry is and i apologize if im completely wrong

i have friends that make tees and dresses but by no means are they at production quality or have any design value..
>>
>>8541146

source: my ass
>>
>>8541247
that clusterfuck behind you.....how do you even concentrate?
are you >>8541227 this guy????
>>
>>8541256
>>8541259
Yeah it's not a stretchy material at all, and I've got no experience but from what I can tell, if it's stretchier it's harder to get a real grasp of how big it is. Basically I took a shirt I liked the fit on, traced it onto a 4 yards of linen, cut it, pinned it, and began sewing by hand.
I'm actually using 'hemp' rope instead of thread. Why? Just aesthetics, it might turn out like shit, but that's what experimenting is all about. At the bottom left where the seams meet, I'll put a Giant X-stitch so you can actually see the rope. I'm also trying to find the perfect buttons for the placket, originally I was going to use the rope again but I don't want it to look like a tunic. If anyone knows of any cool places to get unique buttons, let me know!
>>
>>8541274
Yeah that was horrible, I can't believe I lived like that at all. I live with my girlfriend and she's a slob, when I kicked her out the mess went with her :)
>>
>>8541247
I kind of like the neckline in the first pic of you wearing it. If I were to make something how would I go about doing that?
>>
>>8541278
>I'm actually using 'hemp' rope instead of thread. Why? Just aesthetics, it might turn out like shit, but that's what experimenting is all about.

I'm not sold on that idea, thread will always be better but you're right experimentation is key.
Good luck Anon
>>
>>8541262
idk, I don't think it's that farfetched
I have a friend who started making jackets because he was interested in making jackets for himself. Fast forward a year or so and he's making really nice leather jackets that are sold in boutiques and are even in museums. It's totally possible.
>>
>>8541401
i didnt say impossible. there are always exceptions - however in this case - few and far inbetween.... im just not falling for it until i see some nice pieces....if he/shes made items that landed her that gig i dont see why she/he doesnt post them here.....even your friend spent a lot of time fine-tuning the craft and concentrated on jackets specifically for over a year....naw mean?
>>
>>8541451
but he or she works for a company now, revealing pieces is like giving away a proto type, im sure theyre under contract
>>
>>8541401
it's entirely possible, but >>8541090
still hasn't answered >>8541143 or >>8541262 request for pics.
selling in boutiques and having pieces in museums is quite different from working for a fashion brand
>>
>>8541451
Fair points. I'm interested in seeing the dude's pieces as well.
>>
>>8541471
The dude said he was approached by a boutique.
>>
Im trying to start sewing my own clothing but for now im stuck practicing on barbie dolls.
>>
File: viktor-rolf-dolls-2.jpg (68KB, 624x624px) Image search: [Google]
viktor-rolf-dolls-2.jpg
68KB, 624x624px
>>8541954
I don't think it's supposed to be easier to make fitting doll clothes; do you do it to save material?
>>
>>8541967
I do it for practice. Im relatively new to sewing and with dolls, if i screw up its not a big deal since its only a small amount of fabric wasted. If i started off making actual clothes i'd just end up wasting fabric.
>>
i can work with leather really well. i already make armor, and could easily make boots if i had thinner OZ's in stock. i could probably make jackets too.
>>
>>8542043
wadayawaitingfor?
>>
>>8541079
i fucking love these- how did you make them?
>>
>>8541247
neckline on the first looks sick.
>>
>>8542000
fabric is cheap
>>
File: image.jpg (179KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179KB, 640x1136px
I made a full grain leather belt
>>
File: image-2.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image-2.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8542075
thanks. traced the sole from a pair of cheap sandals I liked and made a pattern out of pair for the upper so I could tweak it.
The black bottom is some dense foam/rubber I got from a shoemaker supply shop, top part is the thickest scap of vegetan leathe I coud get at the leather factory (they had thicker but I had to get the who skin)
upper is inserted in the slits in the leather sole, glued with neoprene glue and then riveted with copper rivets, then monogramed, then the whole thing is glued on the foam/rubber. the leather sole is a bit oversized, so I sand it until the whole thing is flush and voilà. don't have any process pics, sorry.
thinking of adding arch support and maybe a small heel when I make new ones
>>
>>8542546
erratum: made a pattern out of paper
>>
>>8542546
wow that sounds like hardwork
wish i had that kind of dedication haha
looks sweet- thanks!
>>
>>8542208
are you kidding?
its way more expensive to sew your own shit vs buying something on sale at H&M for $10
also time=money
in the meantime you could be working or learning to do something that would make you a lot more money in the long run. opportunity cost.
/acocutning nerd
>>
>>8542758
not that bad actually. took me the better part of an afternoon to make a pair (once I had all the material) now I make them in about one or two hours and sell them to friends and stores.
once you get them right, glue the paper patterns on 1/8" mdf to trace/cut all you pieces and it goes super fast
>>
>>8542072
i need thinner Oz leather. all mine i 14+oz put this into perspective, garment grade leather is arround 2oz, typicall workboots are 4-5oz leather. im using 14oz, its arround a quarter of an inch thich
>>
>>8542546
ay yo homie, im looking for a sole to make some mid-evil boots. whats the store you bought yours from?
>>
>>8542819
the place is called federal leather, not that it could help you they probably don't even have a website.
do a search for soling sheets,pic del
they come in a wide range of thickness and chroma, usually sold in 2'x3' squares or something. you could also get oversized soles that are tapered, like a vibram or something but I never used them (ther are also usually around 3/4 to an inch thick, a bit too much for me)
>>
>>8542851
i keep trying to find some nice vibram soles but i never see the ones i want.
>>
>>8542871
there's this place in nyc that had a shitload of stuff liast time I went. you have to ol=pen a commercial account though to cop from them. If it's in your area I can look them up for you
>>
>>8542889
nowhere near NYC bud, thanks though.
>>
>>8542897
anything for you anon. keep looking and make sure you don't settle for less than what you aimed for. material quality is the most important
>>
>>8542546
This is super dope. What's the longest any of your sandals have lasted?
>>
>>8542546
how much did it cost in total? might make some of my own
>>
>>8543481
not that much, around 20-25$ in materials tops and I didn't cheap out on quality either.
>>8543440
some sand snuck in between the leather and the foam sole when I took my prototype to the beach trying to do some quality control. changed the glue (from tandy leather factory contact cement to 3m neoprene glue) and haven't had any issue since, that was last autumn/beginning of winter, when I first started making them.
It looks like they're going to last very well now but only time will tell. It's a very simple design so it lessens the possibility of failure.
>>
>>8544450
Cool
I've wondered this about other sandals too: is the thickness of the fabric and rivets between the layers significant enough to make either the sole or the footbed not flat? Like does everything turn out perfectly flat or do you have to carve out recesses or anything?
>>
File: image-2.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image-2.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>8545535
I don't know about fabric since this is mostly leather, but the flap of the upper (the part that's folded and inserted in the slot and sandwiched between the two soles) is flared out and tapered on the flesh side so that it's almost flush, minimizing the "step" that shows through.
To house the rivet heat, I've drilled a chamber in the foam sole.
pic related might be a bit confusing since it shows the bottom of the upper part of a right foot next to the top of the bottom part of a left foot. I've delaminated these ones after some sand made it's way between the two layers; you can see where the black foam rubbed off on the leather.
>>
>>8541090
>>8541090
yeah
>>
>>8545772
great thanks, your picture is helpful and this is exactly what i wanted to know. you are pretty much a hero
>>
>>8545772
Can you post an on-foot so we can see how it fits?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (40KB, 888x666px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
40KB, 888x666px
>>8547036
hope you appreciate how uncomfortable it feels to post your naked toes on the internet
>>
>>8547166

where do you get all the soles you need to make multiple sandals for other people?
>>
File: sole-pattern-thumb.jpg (32KB, 200x271px) Image search: [Google]
sole-pattern-thumb.jpg
32KB, 200x271px
>>8547180
i cut them from sheets of this >>8542851 material and thick vegetan leather
>>
>>8541146
cant tell if real

it just seems too perfect
>>
i want to cop a new machine cuz mine is old as fuck and its starting to fall apart

the brand really doesnt matter as long as i can get it used and it still works fine

Singer and Juki are my best options but i want some opinions
>>
>>8542778
well, sewing is really a long term investment and fabric is really cheap, i´ve got 3m of cotton felt for just $3 or $4 and i had enough to make a simple coat

i fucked it up because of the very small seam allowance and i had no idea how to make the sleeves, now i know how but machine is fucked up, now theres the real cost but een tho a new domestic machine isnt over $100or so

/management and ex accountant nerd
>>
>>8542220
did you use that guide on mfa? I might make one too
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.