[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wabi Sabi Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: CXSDD3J.jpg (723KB, 2444x1623px)
CXSDD3J.jpg
723KB, 2444x1623px
From Wikipedia:

Wabi-sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"... Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.

So post photos of your beautiful imperfect, worn in, beat up pieces!
>>
>>8517574
>asperity, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy
>economy
>intimacy
>shoes

Fuck me OP this is a pretty pretentious way to say shoes that aren't perfect.
Intimacy?
>>
>>8517581
Don't ask me, ask Japan. I think it's chill as fuck, and I'm objectively way happier than anyone else I know into fashion, especially friends who come to fa. It's a good way to live, and a good way to look at style.

Oh and inb4 edgy monochrome streetwear teens calling ppl poor
>>
bump via curiosity. OP, tell me more about wabi sabi
>>
W2c Those black ones?
>>
>>8517608
it's also a catchy name
>>
Bump because wabi sabi is the shit.
>>
OP I am into what you're getting at. Long time fan of Japanese culture here, (inb4 weeaboo,) been getting very into DIY clothing related stuff. Always been big on thrifting, altering things myself, messig around with deconstructing and reconstructing old military clothing and vintage pieces. Lately I've been heavy into natural dyes and have been getting interesting results with traditional Japanese dyes and treatments like sumi-e ink and especially kakishibu, (persimmon tannin).

If you have similar interests it might be worth giving this guy's blog a look,

http://bandanna-almanac.com/2014/04/07/metamorphosis-ii/

The post in the link shows the progress over time of some of the things he has dyed, (or technically coated,) with kakishibu and various modifiers which can effect the color.

He's an American dude who lives in Japan and is tight with the guys who run Kapital, which is a Japanese brand you should definitely look at for a very deep appreciation of concepts like wabi sabi and shibui and other very Japanese ideas about aesthetics.

I have a pair of favorite jeans that have had a coating of kakishibu and could use another, the depth of color and the change over time and with the use of modifiers is beautiful and fun.

It also has added benefits such as adding slight waterproofing qualities and strength to textiles, similar to waxing, which is also really neat.
>>
>>8517699

His particular way of dressing is not for me, but I love a lot of the concepts behind the things he likes, and some of the pieces he cops are cool. LOVE Kapital, I just go for a simpler and cleaner aesthetic than he does, less color, more elements of prep and military influences, less hippy shit. But his blog is great.
>>
>>8517668
Redwing Gentleman Travelers
>in b4 fedora
>>
File: wasabi.jpg (56KB, 666x800px)
wasabi.jpg
56KB, 666x800px
>>8517574
>Wabi Sabi

???
>>
File: 20140324_170751.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140324_170751.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8517699

Some stuff I have worked on. From left: Levis grey selvedge jeans- 1 year of wear plus one kakishibu coating, several washes, Vintage French army parka, altered to fit slimmer and waxed, vintage Woolrich parka, no alterations, just cleaned and sitting in the sun.

I'll post some better pics of the jeans' progression another time maybe, you can't see the effects of the kakishibu as well here, as it is somewhat subtle and in this photo it hasn't really set in and started to darken yet, but it's too late to take a good pic under natural light where I am now.
>>
File: 20140324_141834.jpg (1MB, 1818x2351px) Image search: [Google]
20140324_141834.jpg
1MB, 1818x2351px
>>8517732

You can see the variation in tone here a bit better. The kakishibu adds the reddish brown tones, plus waterproofing (somewhat,) and stiffness/strength, and the color deepens and changes with time, wear, and exposure to sunlight.
>>
>>8517740
Wow, I really dig the deep colors to these
>>
File: 20140324_141924.jpg (1MB, 1760x2325px)
20140324_141924.jpg
1MB, 1760x2325px
>>8517740

There is also a light coating of wax along the seams and at a few other spots on these jeans, but not all over. Added after kakishibu, but you can see how it affects the way it catches light and how it has changed differently than the other spots over time.
>>
>>8517740
dem kneebags

>>8517581
you need to get in touch wit ur shoes mang dunno how you cant be intimate with things that you have on your body for any period of time
>>
>>8517744

Thanks, they've only gotten better with time, if thread is still up tomorrow I'll throw up some new pics of them, these are from late winter.
>>
>>8517740
Pls marry me we can dye things together bb
>>
>>8517761

>kneebags

Sadly an unavoidable part of the raw denim game my dude, if you plan to actually wear them or not take them off every time you sit down.

I don't really get all the hate around knee bagging either, it only looks weird when they're laid out flat like that. When you're wearing them it just looks normal, like they conform to your body.
>>
>>8517776

lol o-ok, b-but only if you're a g-grill.
>>
Bump for more pics of interesting, old, worn-in stuff?

Things people have repaired or altered in interesting ways?
>>
>>8517574
Bump
>>
Fuck, where is that one narcissistic trip who was all about wabi-sabi when you need him.
>>
>>8517574

how do I combine this with comfycore
>>
File: photo.jpg (760KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
760KB, 1632x1224px
Been wearing this sweater for 3+ years.
really fucking comfy and soft.
has a nice worn in look
>>
>>8522467
Beat the crap out of your comfy clothes, then repair them idiosyncratically.
>>
>>8517574
can palewave and wabi sabi coexist
>>
>>8522682

I already get all my comfycore stuff from a thriftstore
>>
>>8522497
unstitch that label
you're welcome
>>
>>8517574
Wabi-sabi =/= worn-in

It's something else entirely
>>
>>8522828
Share. Elaborate.
>>
>>8522779
which one
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.