[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To those of you who are majoring in fashion/already majored in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 19

File: 8HmNo5L.jpg (310KB, 1500x2252px) Image search: [Google]
8HmNo5L.jpg
310KB, 1500x2252px
To those of you who are majoring in fashion/already majored in fashion, how is it?

>major title
>what you're doing now towards your career in fashion
>any advice you'd give to those curious of entering the fashion industry
>anything else you want to share
>>
>>10947903
It's fucking hard; I've never sewn or pattern cut before, so that takes me forever. Design is the best; reasearching your themes or whatever and building a collection from the ground up.

Im still in 2nd year of a 3 year degree and this one is all about industry experience and learning the business side of creative direction. From what I can see half of these kids aren't gonna be designers when they grad...more like seamstresses, tailors or pattern cutters.

Im gonna try get a scholarship to another school once I grad down here, maybe intern for a year or so then apply for CSM or some house in Paris...thats where all the connections are anyway.
>>
>>10947959
what sets the designers apart from the other "half of these kids"? Are they just that much more gifted in terms of vision or art?

Any advice you'd give me as I'm enrolling in a fashion school next fall?
>>
File: 5FYgc.jpg (99KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5FYgc.jpg
99KB, 681x1024px
bumping with the beatiful peca
>>
>>10947993
Well, I say kids because their all sort of 18-19 age group and I'm one of the eldest; 22. I say that because you can have all the technological knowledge in the world and be a real good sewer, but I think design itself and coming up with strong concepts is largely inherent and if you don't have it in the first place you can't really be taught it.

It's like, so many students...myself included, just want to make nice clothes in their own style. I'm a tailoring sort of dude, then theres the girl that really likes loose silhouettes, or the guy thats all about eastern draping ect.

But what we are trying to be taught is to verge outside of your comfort zone and make something you necessarily might not wear yourself, yet to research it and thoroughly plan it out so your collections are well considered, look good, and have a depth to them.

Theres definitely a bit of wankery involved but yeah it basically comes down to vision. I had done a year at art school before flunking out and choosing fashion instead so I'm a bit more conceptual I think, some people seem really lost when they get told to combine a performer, an artist, and a 20th century fashion designer into one ten look collection; they go "what...but I don't know any 20th century designers", whereas the real people just go to the library and get on with the research aye.

But the sense of reward is so worth it, when you can see the stuff you've made on the model. The collection becomes your baby , and all those late nights in studio become worth it. It's a great feeling! And I am happy to hear theres people here that are serious about getting into the biz too...all the best!
>>
I wish I was

I have a sketchbook which I draw and design stuff in, but i'm an aeronautical engineer so can do fuck all with said sketches.

I have rudimentary sewing skills and non existent pattern making skills
>>
>>10948054
chemical engineer here, I want to finish school and then go to fashion school, you'll be happy soon enough
>>
File: 7lJ4Q.jpg (189KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7lJ4Q.jpg
189KB, 682x1024px
>>
>>10948068
Too late lmao, I've finished education and already hold aircraft maintenance certifications

I could drop this career, but that means forgoing a certain for an uncertain really.
>>
>>10948054
>>10948068
You guys are doing much better than you think.

Plenty of people transition from "hard" jobs like engineering into more artistic stuff - the guys from Bioware did that pretty damn well (that is, until the company was driven right into the ground).
>>
>>10947993
Also to continue my waffle when I say "Designer" I mean "Ubermensch", because no one is hiring someone to just draw clothes for them thesedays. Design is everything; research, drawing the collection, drafting it from the ground up, toiling, sewing it together...as well as likely doing photography of some sort, marketing and advertising; if a house takes you on as a designer you will be doing all of that; clothes are just the starting point for your contribution to the brand; on top of that, you will be expected to maintain and come up with incentives to sell "the image" of whoever it is you are working for.

Which is why some of our lecturers scoff when people say they are going to be the next Margiela or Dior; to be a creative director of a brand is to have almost total creative AND business control: you decide on ad campagins, collections, venues ect. and it is a crushing work load. Raf couldn't hack Dior because you live it 24/7, infact the industry is rapidly shifting at the moment to try and preserve the creative integrity and inspiration of it's directors, like Burberry's.

This site is every students bible really: http://www.businessoffashion.com/ . I guess my point boils down to yes, have the romance of what you want to do, thats what is really inspiring and you don't want to lose that, but you have to have a realistic vision too on just how hard your going to have to work to achieve that. Not everyone CAN be a designer, they have to realise that for themselves though. And if you don't make it, have a backup plan like me...I'm happy to work on Saville Row or get into costume design, as much as I would love to be the next Yohji!
>>
File: Madalina-Pica-466x700.jpg (45KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
Madalina-Pica-466x700.jpg
45KB, 466x700px
>>10948031
That feeling of accomplishment you described sounds amazing and I can't wait to experience that first hand when I start designing.

Are you a fashion design major? Fashion Merchandising?

And do you ever stumble across a "creative block"? Where you just can't come up with a creative design for something?
My biggest fear in pursuit of fashion is losing a sense of vision or creativity and thus losing my passion for fashion. Have you felt this yet?
>>
>>10948011
MUH DICK
>>
*exploding dick*
>>
>>10948109
merchandising is a joke major

t. guy who dropped out of fashion school
>>
File: P6ifH.jpg (112KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
P6ifH.jpg
112KB, 681x1024px
bump
>>
File: rookie3.jpg (171KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
rookie3.jpg
171KB, 1366x2048px
>>10948054
Sometimes all you need is the right ideas; you can always hire a pattern drafter and seamstresses to make prototypes of your designs! Then you have a folio that you can take to retailers an ask "would you like to order some of this in?", before you know it you have a supply chain... and buyers. Technical knowledge helps but I know alot of designers who have been lucky enough to just have good ideas and know the right people.

>>10948109
It's very fun, our last hand in...we had to do one final piece in final fabric, proper finishing...basically something you could buy off the rack. None of us had slept for two days...but then everyones stuff gets brought in front of the class and evaluated, and everyones quite supporting and interested to see what everyone has come up with. We were all dead tired but stoked to of gotten through it...it's that feeling four times a year, twice for each semester.

And everyone hits a wall at least once designing a collection. It may be a creative problem; your designs aren't evoking the atmosphere you want in the collection...the trick is then to do more research into motifs and silhouettes and draw through it. Most of the time it's technical and students have an idea in their head but don't know how to actually transfer that idea into a 2-d pattern, to be made into a 3-d garment. Thats the boring stuff and you just have to read alot of books and practice practice practice.

You'll only ever be as good as how much time you put in at the studio. The real good people live there and the ones that fail just stay 9-5...you have to do much more. Im still trying because I'm a lazy bastard :P

Pic related is a collection from one of the 3rd (final year) students... his inspiration was internet trolls. All 3rd years get their own fashion show at the end of year, attended by all the industry and media types...and usually get work after that. Me modelling that anon swag.
>>
>>10948150
Yeah my GF is doing the same thing, but the UK version. Infact last year I went to the 3rd years show (she was first year) and made a thread live posting the pics and people enjoyed it.

I know what you mean and it is tough, and i'm just the spare wheel in the operation,. My gf looks like shit for the month leading up to a project hand in
>>
>>10948130
I don't get it...you had a fashion degree with a merchandising major? That's narrow-scoped, you could be just as well off majoring in advertising in general?

I say that because our paper is a Bachelors of Art and Design, and Fashion is the major. And in that major we cover design, make, merchandising, industry experience ect.
>>
File: rookie2.jpg (51KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
rookie2.jpg
51KB, 720x960px
>>10948158
Hahaha yeah always the case! No one wants to be on anyones bad side the final month of the collection; people start going crazy and all the dramas come to the fore.

I'm down in N.Z so it isn't a prestigious fashion degree by any stretch but so far I think it's been really good with all the knowledge they have crammed in. And your missus is very lucky to have a spare wheel, like minded as yourself to support her! Really thats what matter the most...right as people are marching up on the stage in clothes they have made...the sense of having people there for you, who agree with your designs and support your ideas is what matters most.
>>
File: WVZ9g.jpg (116KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
WVZ9g.jpg
116KB, 681x1024px
>>
>>10947903
Mainstream when?
>>
File: lhnR7.jpg (226KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
lhnR7.jpg
226KB, 681x1024px
>>
>>10948186
Also in New Zealand. It seems pointless going to any college here for fashion design, the only college I know of that does it is AUT and that seems like a bit of a joke. Prove me wrong?

Also, what are you supposed to do if you want to get into it but live somewhere like here? I was looking at Antwerp royal arts college and the tuition fees are so cheap, but I have no idea how to handle myself on my own and I dont think I could make it living away from home while attending a school.
>>
File: THwyf.jpg (230KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
THwyf.jpg
230KB, 681x1024px
>>
>>10947903

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Z3ze_C92s&list=PL8rJDd78F7oBpuDLn2JDeimB7UVWFaoI2
>>
>>10947959
>>10948031
>>10948104
it's so easy to spot you in these threads from the last ones
i always get triggered reading your posts

you don't stand out as much as the rest of your peers, believe me. do not be so snotty, and do not dismiss them like that. of course there are always ones that are clearly in the wrong field, but don't be a pretentious little shit who thinks they're special

the number of careers available for designers is so small, please consider bettering yourself at pattern cutting, textiles, and production knowledge
>>
>>10948159
i don't think you understand what a merchandiser is

granted >>10948130 is correct in that majoring in merchandising is a joke, it is one of the most vital positions

merchandisers are required to run the entire team, be knowledgable of design, production, sales, etc

they develop the calendar for each season and must constantly work with everyone to adjust because suppliers are always late

merchandisers are supposed to know the entire company by memory
>>
File: 56127e161600002e00037fdf.jpg (44KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
56127e161600002e00037fdf.jpg
44KB, 600x400px
some different girls now
>>
>>10947903
I'm majoring in Apparel Production Management which essentially focuses on knowledge of all aspects (design, sewing, pattern making, grading, merchandising, sourcing, sales, and production)

i just recently got another internship after my last had ended and am running both product development and production for a start up company

have a form of stress release
whether that's the gym, a sport, cigarettes, weed, drinking, etc
my stress is currently making my anxiety worse and i've been having nightly panic attacks trying to get this company started

the word "No" is your best friend in the industry

be prepared for insane amounts of coursework
the nerds on here who joke about fashion school being easy have no idea what it takes

if you want to work for a big company, people who are under the lvmh or kering cloud, you need a bachelors

get an internship as soon as possible

do not burn any bridges

in your first year you will most likely learn where in the field you would like to be

i wasn't sure what position i would want to be in upon graduation when i first started, but now as i have a little over a month left, I know i want to do technical design and stay in production
>>
File: 1.png (270KB, 515x453px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
270KB, 515x453px
>>10947903
>majoring in fashion
>>
File: 1413329791691.jpg (288KB, 1280x1705px) Image search: [Google]
1413329791691.jpg
288KB, 1280x1705px
>>
File: ...buuuuuuug xDDDDDD.jpg (6KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
...buuuuuuug xDDDDDD.jpg
6KB, 240x240px
>>10947903
>Majoring in /fa/

I shiggy diggy.

You major in /ck/, you can cook in the real world. You major in /fit/, you're fit in the real world. You major in /fa/, and then...like, you learn how to dress semi-nice, I guess?

There's really no practical application for a major in fashion, unless you really, REALLY want to disappoint your parents.

Damn, son. At least majoring in /mu/ will make you seem at least a little cultured.
>>
File: 1448155618856.jpg (147KB, 561x721px) Image search: [Google]
1448155618856.jpg
147KB, 561x721px
>>
I'm at FIT(3rd best fashion school in the world). Not a fashion student but, I know a ton of them. AMA Im bored and a little tipsy.
>>
>fashion degree
>>
>>10947903
op is this girl retarded? why is her mouth like that in every pic
>>
>>10947903
having tits show in your fashion show is cheating
>>
>>10948054
>aeronautical engineer
>into fashion
>is self-conscious about sketchbook full of drawings
>probably wears comfy ass turtlenecks and wishes he had a better relationship with his family

...A-are you me, anon?
>>
>>10949497
that hit a little close to home anon

keep your feels to yourself ._.
>>
File: 1452281556790.jpg (432KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1452281556790.jpg
432KB, 1366x2048px
I'm studying IT right now, gonna graduate in two years but I'm probably gonna do another bachelor in a creative field since I'm digging that student life.

Kinda in between Music and Fashion right now, but I'm Belgian so if I could get into the Royal Academy of Antwerp that'd be p cool.
Although after reading through this thread I realized that I'm not really as dedicated to fashion as most people in here.
>>
>>10948884
how can someone be this dumb?
do you think clothing grows on trees, you wrote this post while wearing stuff the people you mock make, you spend a good portion of your life thirsting after what the people you mock make, reconsider your life
>>
>>10949932
but you are not tim brody, why do you post tim brody?
or are you?
>>
File: for web 4.jpg (328KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
for web 4.jpg
328KB, 1000x1500px
>>10947903
>major title
Fine Arts (Fashion Design) in womenswear
>what you're doing now towards your career in fashion
Only just finished my grad collection in November but have since then interned at a house for a few weeks over the xmas lead up interstate. Recently got a job in magazine design which will hopefully lead to something more fashion related when i can move interstate. My problem is the city I live in and studied in basically has no industry worth interning for so I have to fly interstate to intern which costs a lot of money. So at the moment I'm saving up enough money in my mag design job to hopefully be able to move interstate and intern for a few months in a major label or magazine.

If you are at uni start interning ASAP even if you are in first year (for even one day a week), you'll probably own be doing quality control or sewing on buttons but the industry is a lot about making connections. Also from my experience a lot of the people who get jobs aren't exactly the smartest or most skilled, they are usually people who have interned a few months and then gotten a job when an opening has came up from that. Also do things on the side like photography/styling/accessory design because most companies now need people who can do a variety of things especially with labels that do Ecommerce. In saying that you don't always need to intern, a friend of mine got a job as an assistant designer purely because of her fabric wholesale experience and portfolio. Furthemore you don't need to go to fashion school but the portfolio really helps you in a way and its good for connections.

pic is my least wearable look from my grad collection.
>>
>>10949989
it's just a random picture from my inspo folder.
no I am not Tim Brody.

just check the filename next time you newfag
>>
File: 1454727375276-g.gif (393KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1454727375276-g.gif
393KB, 640x360px
>>10948884
>>
>want to study fashion
>know how to sew
>draw like a 3rd grader
it hasn't even begun and it's already over
>>
>>10950128
reminds of myself

>want to study architecture
>have a lot of design ideas and what not
>never practice drawing but average at it
>fail at descriptive geometry like the last 60 people that had this teacher because she's complete shit and doesn't teach anything

welp
>>
>>10947903
how would you describe her tits? those are my favorite type of tits
>>
All the people I know that went to fashion school are obnoxious cunts with awful taste. Except the ones from Antwerp maybe. St. Martins needs to get eradicated from earth.
>>
>>10948089
>>10948054
>>10948068
listen to pat, honestly I think if you guys are creative (which relatively few people in the fields you've been studying are), you are at a very great advantage. You'll bring a different mindset and skill set to what you produce and it will be less rooted in fashion, style and trends as someone who's only ever done fashion or art. You will hopefully be more interested in interesting garment construction, experimentation with materials over simply the visual style and social connotations/references of a garment
>>
>>10948468
>>10948536
>>10947903
>>10948011
>>10948086
>>10948109

underwear/swimwear fashion shows aren't real fashion
>>
>>10950473
That's exactly what I do desu, I experiment with riveting and mechanical fasteners On clothing from my experience doing structural repairs on aircraft and stuff like that
>>
>>10950270
perky pepperonis
>>
>majoring in fashion
lmfao
>>
>>10948845
this
>>
>>10950270
bouncy bazongas
>>
>>10950270
good ones
>>
>>10949135
What's her name
I need .... MORE
>>
>>10950270
big areolas / puffy nipples
>>
>>10948532
Anyone?
>>
>>10948924
Do you really think the fashion world cares so much about which college you've attended and instead about what internship/work experience you'd have?
>>
>>10948884
this fucking guy couldn't sound more ignorant
>>
I NEED FENTY X PUMA THREAD
>>
File: tiller.jpg (30KB, 600x369px) Image search: [Google]
tiller.jpg
30KB, 600x369px
>>10948884
epic 4 chan speak
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.