[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really a necessity for every man to own a suit? As a student

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (157KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157KB, 530x530px
Is it really a necessity for every man to own a suit? As a student who attends few social events I have absolutely no reason to own one. Not to mention I'm in Los Angeles so trenchcoats, blazers, and most jackets in general are redundant here.
Also, how often do any suit owners here actually get to wear it anyways?
>>
>>10930227
If you don't have reason to wear a suit and you are over the age of 20 or so, you should reevaluate your lifestyle. Don't you have interviews? Formal events? Nice dinners? Client-facing or otherwise important work? Instances where you present in front of others?

I wear suits nearly every day, save for weekends.

That said, if you genuinely don't need one, there's certainly no reason to go get one just for its own sake.
>>
>>10930227
I wear a suit 50% of the time. People treat you much nicer, women make eye contact and allow you to approach and enter into a conversation with them in public; I have worn suits in LA, San Francisco, and many other cities in the world and everyone responds positively. But make sure it is a casual suit and not something too formal or stuffy like a double breasted pin stripe suit or three piece.
>>10930241
Ignore this guy, he doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about.
>>
>>10930241
I'm 20 and I have a job but the only places I go are to work and school.
Never had a relationship so there's nobody to impress and I've never been fine dining because I usually just eat at family restaurants. Probably just overthinking it. Wouldn't it be a tryhard thing to do? Get fancy clothing you have no reason to wear?
>>
>>10930259
>I'm 20 and I have a job but the only places I go are to work and school.
I'm assuming your job doesn't require a suit in any context?

>Wouldn't it be a tryhard thing to do? Get fancy clothing you have no reason to wear?
Nah, but there's a sort of trade-off to it. Your body is in constant flux size-wise, so there's an argument to be made to hold off on buying a suit until it'd get actual use. By way of example, you may suddenly get a lot thinner or more muscular over the year, and that could impact how the suit fits. Having a suit sitting in the closet isn't useful unless it at least generally fits you. Of course, you couldn't wait around too much either - off-the-rack is generally a bad idea (and tailoring can take up to a month depending on the tailor), and M2M can take anywhere from 2-4 months depending on the company/shipping method (assuming you order from China).

That said, if you want one, there's no shame in it. Dressing up is fun. A basic navy or light gray suit can be made casual in a lot of ways.
>>
>>10930265
>>10930258
Not really, I'm just a receptionist. What would you call a suit that's not high grade shit but more casual? And where do I get one? Like, Amazon or something?
>>
>>10930297
Try Topman, Zara or H&M. Don't get some OTR piece of shit for $600 from a department store. A $100 casual piece of fast fashion junk worn casually in LA will look great with a t-shirt. Anything more will look tryhard.
>>
>>10930297
As for the suit itself, the right price/quality ratio is usually hit by made-to-measure places that are cheap but do acceptable work. Check out Blank Label, Black Lapel, Indochino, Modern Tailor, etc. Don't buy something "off the rack" (i.e. already made) - the trick to looking good in a suit is generally to have one custom made to fit you, and tailoring isn't expensive.

As for fabric? Look for something no fancier than Super 100s. For something more casual, look for something with a heavier, less shiny knit - it'll work more with other aspects of menswear.

There's also a BALLER mens' suit place called Thick as Thieves LA - try to find out if you could meet with them. They are gods.
>>
>>10930265
>tfw suit I spent too much money on no longer fits because my delts grew
>>
>>10930227
You will know when you need a suit. Save your money.
>>
>>10930309
This is a troll, ignore it.
>>
>>10930305
>A $100 casual piece of fast fashion junk worn casually in LA will look great with a t-shirt.
holy shit are you taking the piss
>>
File: 1447108584537.gif (2MB, 244x147px) Image search: [Google]
1447108584537.gif
2MB, 244x147px
>>10930309
>>10930305
Well either way I'll keep an eye out for something nice when it comes along
Thanks for being helpful
>>
>>10930259
>Never had a relationship so there's no nobody to impress

you fucking imbecile, that's why you NEED a suit, to impress people and get yourself into a relationship. Once in a relationship, you don't need to impress.
>>
>>10930370
lol
>>
>>10930309
Wearing leather grosses me out, what alternatives are there?
Doesnt really have to be too formal, I am in medicine, not business.
Something more casual like chelsea boots would be ok, even sneakers that look like CPs would be ok.
But I hope there are better alternatives than pleather CP knock offs.
>>
>>10930370
Alright I don't want this thread to go /r9k/ but I've never had a desire to meet girls. It's just kinda not there.
Most people are sad when they miss someone, but I don't even know what I'm missing out on.
>>
>>10930387
some designers do vegan stuff
>>
>>10930370
>you need to be wearing a suit to attract a woman

fashion by /r9k/: the supreme gentleman edition
>>
>>10930393
Could you please be more specific because this is news to me. :^)
>>
>>10930405
I know for a fact that rick owens has some shoes in vegan faux leather as an alternative. His designs probably don't pertain to what you're looking for, but I highly doubt that he's the only person who makes higher end footwear with that idea.

>>10930370
I'm weirded out by this thread's aversion to suits but this weirds me out more
>>
>>10930258
>ive worn suits in alot of places
cool dude
>>
>>10930433
Nice spelling. You have to be 18 to use this site by the way, kid. ;)
>>
>>10930387
If you're in medicine, you could wear a suit and running shoes and people would be chill.

That said, like many people mention, there's some pretty fucking awesome vegan leather out there, check it out. It's surprisingly decent, I used to have a vegan leather jacket and it looked pretty damn good.
>>
in 10 years i have worn my suit twice, once for graduation and then a funeral.

i think it depends who you are... but seeing as you regular 4chan.... you dont need a suit.
>>
>>10930309
you're a retard. you can most definitely buy off the rack if you know your sizes and can afford another $50 to get it slightly altered.

I'm the best-dressed person in my company of 2000 employees (I even got a trophy once as a joke at our annual summit), and some of my best pieces were off-the-rack.
>>
File: suit.jpg (57KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
suit.jpg
57KB, 736x736px
>>10930227
People you know, especially older family members, are going to die. Other people you know are going to get married.

If you're not a giant or fat fuck, buy the following:

1 navy blue 2 button wool suit with 'average' size lapels. 1 or two vents is up to you.

1 decent white dress shirt. Again, stick to middle ground here: no gay ass spread collars or club collars. No collar buttons.

1 navy tie. Find something with some texture. No patterns, no goofy shit, nothing. Texture. That's it. Grenadines are a solid choice.

1 dress belt and 1 pair of matching shoes. Again, nothing stupid as far as shoes go. Simple. Cap toe, wing tip if you're feeling really bold.

1 single white linen or cotton hankerchief, use the "TV fold".

That's all you need for any funeral or wedding.

Picture attached is close, but go darker.
>>
File: navy.jpg (206KB, 740x740px) Image search: [Google]
navy.jpg
206KB, 740x740px
>>10930560
You can also go with a pale blue shirt. See example.
>>
>>10930412
I will look into it, thanks anon. But I doubt I will find something, I have googled it thousands of times.
>>10930505
Yeah I know, I just wanna dress up for myself. Some people rock suits even with trainers, but I personally dont like the aesthetic of it. It should be more decent like CPs.
Dress shoes with vegan leather are just weird to me and I dont really need it. But I know the technology is there, just look at Tesla.
I sadly only know of Zaras pleather sneakers...
>>
>>10930568
>Some people rock suits even with trainers
if by "rock" you mean "look like retarded manchildren" then sure
>>
>>10930505
Don't listen to this dumb ass. He actually recommended Thick as Thieves and is probably a NEET given he spends 8 hours a day on 4chan.
>>
>>10930564
looks like shit, honestly. not trying to rile you up. this is not suitable for anywhere except some shit boring office job. not fashionable in the slightest or good looking
>>
>>10930321
ah yea a 20 year old receptionist in a made to measure wool suit with a tie and pocket square in LA is a heaps better option aye mate?
fucking dumb cunt lmao. obviously never left ur hole of a country
>>
>>10930590
did you read my other post? That suit is perfect for three things: weddings, funerals and professional interviews. That's it.

You don't WANT to stand out like some /fa/ggot. You want to be simple, clean and well-executed.

/fa/shion is just as much about knowing when and where to wear certain pieces. period.
>>
>>10930615
he is asking how to wear a suit for every day not buying some piece of formal crap that he would wear 3 times before he grew out of it or the cut became unfashionable

read his op dude.
>>
>>10930258
> Patrick Bateman not knowing what he is talking about

Get a load of this guy
>>
>>10930615
Suits can be dressed down for casual events.
>>
Patrick Fakeman getting REKT ITT
>>
>>10930627
translation: everyone talking shit to him as absolutely no idea what the fuck they're doing
>>
>>10930604
are you fucking 15
jesus fucking christ this board
>>
>>10930634
He recommended Thick as Thieves and MTM suits for a 20 year old receptionist who wants to wear a suit casually. He is a full blown autist. Sorry if you are too young and inexperienced to notice that.
>>
>>10930638
lel someone got fucking cut haha
>>
>>10930639
MTM suits are found at similar prices as a thousand shittier OTR brands, and will invariably look better, worn casually or not
the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>10930638
Fuck off then?
>>10930634
Other way around, man. Maybe you are new here but Bateman is a bigger loser and pretender than even Seigheil.
>>
>>10930646
Post a fit pic of your gorgeous MTM suit and how much you paid for it, skippy.
>>
>>10930227
see, you think that now, but out of nowhere someone will call you in to an interview, or a formal wedding, or a funeral, or an awards ceremony (should you be so lucky), or any other event in which you're expected to scrub up and look halfway presentable.

So instead of going to some horrible last-minute discount place to source a suit, it's advisable to get one, in a REAL fabric, that fucking fits you, in a style that doesn't make you want to claw out your eyeballs.

It's the same reasoning behind every woman having an LBD. you have to be sartorially prepared for anything that hits you in life. That's called elegance. And that sure as hell is /fa.
>>
>>10930622
>Is it really a necessity for every man to own a suit? As a student who attends few social events I have absolutely no reason to own one.

Apparently you didn't read OP, friend.
He thinks he has no reason to wear one because he is a student. He has 3: interviews, funerals and weddings. Which is why every man needs to own *one* suit at a minimum. You don't want to be running to some shit local department store because grandpa had a heart attack the day before and you were asked by grandma to carry the casket.
>>
>>10930622
you're an idiot. a simple, middle of the road men's classic suit has been in style since the mid 80s. Only the 60's and 70's were exceptions, prior to that it was the same deal.

Simple men's suits are not going out of style anytime soon.

Only autistic faggots and tumblrtards worry about cutting edge menswear styles when it comes to suiting.

But put your money where your mouth is: post fit. Let's see your closet. Timestamp, pls.
>>
>>10930660
>awards ceremony
the fucking neets on this site lmao
>>10930667
what a stupid reason to buy a suit

if someone died no one is going to care what you are wearing man. I know it's hard for the spergs on this site to get that

wearing casual suits and finding the cuts and brands that work on u is a better investment for him at his age. if he just needed one urgently for a funeral he could go to a thrift store
>>
>$500 is way too much for a suit
this coming from the board that hypes up designer sneakers that easily cost 2 or 3 times that
>>
>>10930660
wow, someone who gets it. I bet you're actually adult-aged.
>>
>>10930677
you first neet ;)
>>10930684
samefag
>>
>>10930681
> what a stupid reason to buy a suit

Grandpa dies, and you're showing up in Supreme and Stan Smiths?

This might be the most cringey shit I've read here in months. How old are you anyway?
>>
>>10930305
Topman actually makes really good slim-cut suits. I'd say shop in early fall or early spring to get the best fabrics instead of the 100 percent polyester shit.

>>10930321
Um, no. Sometimes it's better to have good design and mediocre quality than mediocre design and good quality. This is one of those times.

>>10930405
High end: Stella McCartney

>>10930560
I wouldn't exactly get married in it, but it's decent
>>
>>10930677
>simple men's suits never go out of style
are you the fag who posted that autistic formal crap recommending a 20 year old to wear? haha you are delusional my man
>>
>>10930693
learn to read, faggot :)
this isn't kindergarden
>>
ITT: autistic high schoolers and streetwear phags
>>
>>10930677
>Simple men's suits are not going out of style anytime soon

what are you talking about, trends in men's suiting have changed no less than like 10 times in the last 5 years

i can't wear a peak lapel double vented suit to work today
>>
>>10930684
>and female

Hi
>>
>>10930703
no shit, but you have been able to wear a notch lapel, single vented, 2 button navy suit all that time.
>>
File: grey tartan blazer.jpg (166KB, 649x926px) Image search: [Google]
grey tartan blazer.jpg
166KB, 649x926px
OP, at least get suit separates to make your wardrobe appear more adult.
>>
>>10930677
>>10930696
rekt

Don't listen to this neet, OP. He has been browsing styleforum too much and never actually worn a suit besides his high school graduation (obviously not college educated)
>>
>>10930721
talk shit post fit
>>
>>10930719
wow its fucking gay
good job for making me laugh hah
>>
>>10930703
Yeah but they're all variations on a theme.
The same theme that's been going on since the 1890s...

>pretty impressive, considering
>>
>>10930732
stop trying to convince these retards. you're wasting your breath.
>>
>>10930719
jeans and blazer looks bad like unconditionally
>>
>>10930728
>gives shit advice proving he knows nothing about the topic at hand
>gets butt frustrated and demands a fit pic as if that somehow makes what he wrote any less moronic

get a load of this little dweeb heh
>>
>>10930732
omg r u one of those stupid dicks wearing 90's armani power suits and talking about "classic" styles. suits are just as affected by fashion as any other style you idiot
>>
>>10930738
It looks fine provided you match the relative casualness of each garment. Suit separates won't do it. You'll look like a TKE pledge going to the club with his frat masters.
>>
>>10930780
Jeans are farmhand/gay cowboy-tier. They do not belong with something as sophisticated as a blazer, ever.
>>
>>10930560
>>10930564
>>10930719
LMAO this is the inspo you retards come up with in 70 posts? Pathetic. Even MFA could do better.
>>
>>10930786
You couldn't be more wrong. jeans and blazer is awesome casual combo that looks great on anyone.

Thank god patrick bateman is here to set you 15 year olds straight.
>>
>>10930805
>jeans and blazer is awesome casual combo that looks great on anyone.

nope. that disgusting combo is always atrocious/always worn by atrocious people
>>
>>10930805
Patrick Bateman is a troll who spends all day and night on /fa/. He is not a lawyer, has never posted a fit and his advice is always generic, wishy-washy crap that only impressionable teens would fall for.

Jeans with a blazer is absolute MFA fedora territory, btw.
>>
>>10930227
No, for most people owning a suit isn't necessary, save for funerals - in which case you can always just rent one.

I own three suits: navy, light grey and brown. They're all in a less formal material than your average s130 wool ones, so it's easy to mix and match between them to create a number of combinations.

I'm required to wear a blazer at work at the very least though, save for some days where more casual clothes are okay.

>>10930805
The problem is that people who wear jeans and a blazer often go for an orphaned jacket instead of a informal jacket in like tweed, cashmere or flannel (with soft shoulders, patch pockets etc.).

Blue jeans and a black pinstriped blazer always looks bad, on anyone.
>>
>>10930805
jeans and blazer can be great combo, as far as I remember someone was able to pull it off even on last Wimbledon
however you are not that guy and you will most probably look like redneck tard
>>
>>10930863
So much this.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (156KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
156KB, 530x530px
>>10930227
>>
>>10930391
maybe thats why you dont desire it
>>
Every man should have two suits in their wardrobe.
A Navy and a charcoal

Most big boy jobs will have at least two interviews too, so that way you don't wear the same suit twice.

Go to Brooks Brothers, most of the time they have a 2 suit deal, and they are known to be among the best when it comes to American suits (Don't fall for the expensive designer meme when it comes to suits for a job)
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.