[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain why rick owens is so loved on this board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: in-rick-geo-basket-sneakers.jpg (85KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
in-rick-geo-basket-sneakers.jpg
85KB, 1200x800px
Can someone explain why rick owens is so loved on this board but kanye is pretty much written off as a joke? Not even trying to sound like a straight defender of kanye, but almost all of the rick stuff i see posted on here is the same: oddly shaped leather jackets, oddly shaped shoes, and drop crotch pants. None of it looks really wearable to me. Not trying to sound as if i cant handle anything out of the ordinary, but it seems like its weird just for the sake of being weird and somehow a board like /fa/ bought into it
>>
>>10923742
Kanye made a rip-off of Roshe (meme) runs with a ribbed sole. Nothing much to admire
>>
>>10923748
I always thought that the 350 only resembled roshes because the pure boost took inspiration from roshes. To me, it always looked like kanye took a pureboost and just built around it. Either way you look at it, yeah its not completely original, but it still looks good. And why is originality favored over whether something looks genuinely good or not?
>>
Why bother with fashion if you're not gonna look weird occasionally? Weirdness is fun.

That said, I think the reason the board went for Rick (besides the inherent memeness of the man himself) is because it -is- very wearable. He makes a lot of sneakers, sweat pants, tee shirts, leather jackets. Interesting cuts, interesting fabrics, but you can still go out in full Rick and be wearing sweats, a tee, and sneakers. A lot of his contemporaries in similar styles, it's pretty much elven priest or nuthin'.
>>
>>10923748
>never mentioning that the roshes were y3 ripoffs
>>
Rick has been around a long time, and basically earned his place in the fashion industry from the ground up, actually being creative and innovative with his style
Kanye just basically burst into the scene with a bunch of hype, not for his actual fashion, but rather just because he is famous, and his style is rather bland, overpriced and unoriginal, and the only reason it gets bought is because its kanye
>>
>>10923771
LOL wut?
>>
Uh...the only person /fa/ dickrides more than Kanye is Rick. This board is basically the Rick and Kanye show anymore.
>>
>>10923812
Are you new or are you baiting? I think a good amount of /fa/ users like the way he dresses, but his actual fashion attempts are usually shitted on or completely ignored
>>
>>10923819
This, i dickride Ye hard, but the only thing of his I really love and would cop if I could are the 850s

Who is hype for Waves, I wasn't that excited about it until Real Friends and No More Parties dropped desu
>>
rick owens is ugly, /fa/ users are ugly so they can relate to dick ovens
>>
File: 5039926641_8a1722633e_b.jpg (289KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5039926641_8a1722633e_b.jpg
289KB, 683x1024px
>>10923742
It looks like you are genuinely interested, so I'll try my best!

>Can someone explain why rick owens is so loved on this board but kanye is pretty much written off as a joke?

1) Like >>10923779 said, Rick Owens is respected in the fashion world at large, not only on this small forum. His designs (in other words, the "oddly shaped leather jackets, oddly shaped shoes, and drop crotch pants" are very much innovative. On the other hand, Kanye West's designs are not seen as introducing anything new to the fashion world. They're generally seen as derivative of previous designers' work. I'm not saying that one designer is necessarily "better;" I'm just explaining why many people prefer one over the other.

>Not trying to sound as if i cant handle anything out of the ordinary, but it seems like its weird just for the sake of being weird and somehow a board like /fa/ bought into it

2) I find this one tougher to answer. What would you rather find clothes "weird" for the sake of, then? I guess "interesting" is another way to put it; I like Rick's stuff because it appeals to me visually. To me, the proportions are natural, flowy in a way that they complement the body instead of sharply contrasting against it. Yeah, it's weird compared to "typical" clothes, but I like seeing it on people. It's fun.

>>10923764
>Interesting cuts, interesting fabrics, but you can still go out in full Rick and be wearing sweats, a tee, and sneakers.

This is why I wear Rick! Even simple, "lazy" clothes look cool.
>>
>>10923771
I always figured Roshes were just a reinterpretation of Sock Racers
>>
On understanding why /fa/ loves and will always love Rick:
Circa 2010-2011 was /fa/'s cultural golden age, during-which it graduated from being the basic r/mfa clone it was before into a community interested in the avant-garde. This period had the highest number of knowedgeable trips posting and probably the highest overall quality of discussion. Also at this point, Rick was reaching his peak in terms of popularity, influence and (arguably) quality of output. So basically Rick was the first 'wave' that /fa/ got to ride, the first genuinely cool thing it took part in, so he's sort of left a permanent and deep imprint on the community's identity, even as his overall relevance may diminish relative to what it once was. You never forget your first time,
>>
>>10923742
Personally I don't think Kanye is a joke, not a big fan of his stuff nor am I going to buy anything by him but the very least it's interesting phenomena
Can't be assed to go in to detail why Rick is adored and respected, but he is so in fashion outside this board as well. You have to understand designs to some degree to really get what sets Rick apart and know some of his history
>>
>>10923742
Sup KTT F A M
>>
>>10923742
they don't. kanye has followers on this board and rick has more but both are widely regarded as a joke
>>
You want that in alphabetical order?

Kenye
>"designer"
>mediocre
>unoriginal
>joke
>manlet
>racist
>nigger
>>
>>10924052
Might wanna revise your ABCs there buddy. This should help you https://youtu.be/_UR-l3QI2nE
>>
>>10924071
Might want to revise it yourself, princess.
>>
>>10924077
d, m, u, j, m, r, n
what?
>>
>>10923893
This is pretty good. It's the same way /mu feels about neutral milk hotel. He did his thing way before everyone else copied it, and he knows how to actually create the clothing from scratch. Kanye makes basic items, fucks with the color a bit and then sells it for a ridiculous price. I love ye, he loves fashion, and is good at setting mainstream trends. I just won't pay for his clothing when Rick appeals to me a lot more.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.