[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fashion people school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

Anybody here studying fashion design? Anybody here graduated from studying fashion design? What's that like? Pic unrelated
>>
h2g fashion job?
>>
Recent design student. I'm only a few weeks of the semester in my first class at a meh teir school and it's interesting, but jesus christ the fucking people in my class.

>First day of class, small studio space with around 25 students
>the usual introductions and whatnot, professor wanted us to introduce ourselves and state what we hope to accomplish with design and where we hope to be in 10 years
>like 70% of the class shares the same answer:
>"10 years I see myself in an NYC Studio with a runway show"
>A bunch of them also say they want to make the industry more "plus size friendly"

I've only been in class a short while, but I can already tell it is going to be a long semester. I can recount more stories about my ridiculous classmates upon request.
>>
>>10894838
I have no experience, but based on what I've seen and heard, to get into the high fashion industry is extremely difficult. Majority are poor as shit. Even the best designers started poor though. Just like any business, it's all about risk. Unless you have money and connections there's no way you'll be able to make it. But I think some can apply to design for big ready to wear companies as interns then make their way up. I do believe that anyone with strong passion, individuality, and creativity can make it though. I mean just look at Jeremy Scott. The direction he took MOSCHINO really boosted their popularity, John Galliano was living off of friends that supported him until Anna Wintour got him support. Rick Owens wasn't recognized until a Photograph of Kate Moss wearing one of his pieces got him noticed which helped him catch the eye of well known critics.
>>
>>10894875
Yes please post more. Tell us about the all the stories that make me feel bad and want to cringe at them. Also tell us about the very few potentially bright ones.
>>
>>10894920
>Day one of class
>learning how to thread bobbins
>The class is technically overbooked, and during class time a few students need to go work with the TA in the studio across the hall
>To make sure everyone is on the same page everyone in the class doubles up to thread the bobbin
>make small talk with the girl I'm partnered with while I'm threading it
>"So, what designers are you a fan of"
>"Oh, I don't really follow any designers, I just see stuff I like"

She couldn't name a SINGLE designer she admired, which is pretty ridiculous.

Already I've had multiple girls tell me "OMG I can't believe you know more about this than me, fashion is like my favorite thing!"
>>
>>10894955
Are you a gay dude? It's cool if you are. The best designers are gay but holy shit those girls are stupid.
>>
>>10895000
Nope not gay. I get it more often than you might think, just for being a guy that dresses well. People usually just think dressed good=gay so I take it as a compliment.

There's only two other guys in that class, theres the guy who wears polo hoodie + joggers + jordans everyday (he dropped out after the second or third class) and then the short gay black dude who's COVERED in acne scars. I'm the only white dude in the class, and it's actually mostly black chicks. I guess it means that I actually want to be here, as a straight man fashion isn't an interest I've ever been spoonfed or expected, so I've always had to seek my tastes out independently.
>>
im in my second semester

i think the most important thing to note is that its a fuckton more technical than you'd ever imagine, which is why so many people just drop out or fall out of it.

like you're sitting with a pencil and ruler for most of the time drawing lines that you dont understand what theyre for and following sewing instructions without knowing what the application is

i think its like this for a while, they drill the technical shit into you first then once you know enough you then begin to figure out one by one how shit works, but for the first while it's incredibly frustrating, at least it has been and is for me

not glamorous or fun time by any means
>>
>>10895061
you have autism

>>10895116
as do you
you're the guy who made an ama thread after completing your first semester, aren't you?
>>
>>10895061
wow you sound like a really unique person
>>
>>10895120

yeah i had to get my thoughts out somewhere i hardly ever browse anymore and only drop by once in a while to do brain dumps

that's the one thing about school, if you're immersed in a fashion oriented environment all the time you're always looking and thinking, really speeds up the process and you grow alot quicker. ive had so many shifts in my views towards different things since that thread and just this past week even

is why im so frustrated i guess, lots of ideas and thoughts but it takes sooo long to actually develop decent skills so i cant channel the energy into creating something yet. sometimes i almost think i knew TOO much about fashion before starting school, but im sure in the long run itll even out as long as im able to push through
>>
>>10895116
Agreed. The industry is hard but perhaps the low success rate is largely in part due to the people who quickly drop out or people who "want an NYC studio and a runway show" but don't watch shows or know anything about runway fashion.

I have classmates who have much more technical ability than me but I know that I can outlast pretty much everyone there creatively, all I need it to learn the basics.
>>
>>10895120
>you have autism
this is actually a good thing, ive noticed im pretty ocd and retarded about alot of things when i work, and it made me realize when i look at really elaborate collections by designers that, "holy shit this guys a complete autist nutjob" for example takahiro miyashita, look at his work at number nine, its super fuckign autistic, ridiculous amount of ocd detailing and meticulous formulaic styling and repeated design elements within each season
>>
>>10895138

>I have classmates who have much more technical ability than me but I know that I can outlast pretty much everyone there creatively, all I need it to learn the basics.

yeah same here, well i would say i need to take it a step above and actually get close to as good as them but im sure we'll even out in the long run

also some of those classmates just want to work in costume design or as a sewer so fair enough for them

but yeah there are some others who i question everyday "why the fuck are you here", like im not even close to good but theyre just like... holy shit you are so fucked and im not sure if i should tell u this
>>
>>10894875
Plz stories
>>
>>10894838
My mum is a designer (primarily with bridal dresses) who puts out shows on different major fashion weeks. Shit is hard. I constantly see her getting sick or even fainting for not sleeping for 2-3 days in a row thinking of new designs. The pay is really great though and she loves what she does so theres that. Another plus is that she constantly gets to travel.
>>
>>10896417
this is work in the industry in a nutshell
>>
>>10896417
I want this. This is all I want. Could someone point me in the right direction for schools?
>>
>>10894955
>"OMG I can't believe you know more about this than me, fashion is like my favorite thing!"
the art schools eat these women alive
>>
File: why.png (2KB, 172x117px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
2KB, 172x117px
>mom's been in the business most of her life in different jobs
>I'm 24
>always been intrigued by the idea, never had the balls to go through with it
>still been doing various DIY shit with clothes, customing them etc.
Should I just do it
Actually getting a job anywhere in the field are slim to none and it doesn't pay much fucking anything if you miraculously land a job but I just have so much interest. Not to mention something about having a real craft for a job has always been the coolest thing I imagine and I have huge respect for those people around me who have jobs like that. I'd have to start basically from going to school that teaches me the basics of sewing etc. that would take 2 years and after that to higher degree which I believe is 3-5 years so realistically I could see myself for going actual design degree is when I'm in my 30's. Which is really the only thing holding me back, finding myself in my 30s having a useless degree and no job sounds kinda scary but then at the moment I can't even see myself, my life or where I am 30 at all.
>>
>>10896453
do you want to design or be in production?
>>
>>10896515
design
>>
>>10896521
Parsons, Central Saint Martin, ESMOD, London College of Fashion, Royal Academy of Fine Arts - Antwerp
>>
>>10896503

just do it man, it sounds like you're infinitely rich so what have you got to lose
>>
>>10896529
thank you
>>
>>10896542
British Vogue Youtube has a lot of videos with Alexa Chung where they discuss getting into the industry, you should check them out. I think the head of fashion at the London College actually speaks on applicants not having technical skill or knowledge of designs, but that they still would be accepted because of their performance in other areas.

Pro-tip: cotton is not a fabric, it's a fiber. It seems simple, but this is a huge mistake people make when speaking to industry professionals.
>>
>>10896531
>infinitely rich
kek how so
I'm not really that rich at all, that's one of the biggest reasons why trying to pursue career in the field is so fucking scary
>>
>>10896557
Will definitely check out. Pro-tip noted. Thank you
>>
>>10896515
who makes more money and has a better chance at getting a job

also how do I become a stylist
>>
>>10896680
If you become a celebrity designer, as in well known (Riccardo Tisci, Olivier Rousteing, etc) then you'll be making more as a designer.

Production careers have longevity and can be paid in 6 digits if you're great at your position and work with a large company.

Production has more careers available, and learning in a university about production will most likely show you aspects of design, to which you can move, say from Pattern Maker to Designer in a company if you're creative enough.

To become a stylist, you usually have to be an apprentice and amass a large number of contacts that you can bring to a company, or use to get yourself hired.
Degree wise, your best bet is visual merchandising to be a stylist, but i wouldn't recommend wasting your money on this
>>
I got accepted in the design school i applied for, but now I'm not that sure anymore if fashion is really a thing for me.
>hates sewing
>hates superficial society
>hates superficial people
>no other ideas
>loves beautiful things
>loves having free time
>>
>>10896529
anywhere worthwile in california to go to?
>>
>>10895130
>takes sooo long to actually develop decent skills
Did you just know about fashion instead of having practical skills? I find that really odd, i assumed to get into a good fashion course (are you on a good one at a good college/uni?) you had to already be able to do shit. My friend is doing a fashion course at St Martins (a girl), and another at Parsons (striaght guy) and they both knew how to make clothes to a decent standard already.

So yeah I just assumed that you would already have to be skilled to get on the course, rather than going there to learn the basics
>>
>>10894838
I have a friend that graduated 3 years ago from Parsons, she worked as the trim designer for alexander wang. Everytime i speak to her it just seems like they overwork the shit out of all their employees.

Her rich friend however had enough money to start her own line and it's pretty famous
>>
megaplen here

How much of fashion school is actually being adroit with a sewing machine?
>>
>>10897775
what line
>>
>>10895061
>and then the short gay black dude who's COVERED in acne scars
you got class with ian connor?
>>
>>10896718
Shit like this will make you BETTER in the industry though. Your above the bullshit.
>>
>>10896918
LA Trade Tech
I'm about to graduate from FIDM for production, I do not recommend going there for design.

>>10897799
they teach you how to sew
almost every major is required to take sewing classes, though sewing isn't as big a part of the curriculum in majors outside of fashion design
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.