[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /fa/. I don't come here often, but I thought you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Waistcoat.jpg (198KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Waistcoat.jpg
198KB, 1500x1500px
Hello /fa/. I don't come here often, but I thought you guys would be the best to help me.

Please educate me on men's waistcoats/vests.

I'll be working as a teller in a bank, so it seems to me like a suit is overdressing, while a shirt and tie every day is a little boring.

I have a three piece suit, but I've been told that wearing the vest without the jacket doesn't look as good since the vest has that little synch in the back. Is this true, or doesn't it matter? I haven't been able to find many sold without that adjustable thing in the back.

Other than that, any advice on waistcoats would be great. Bottom button buttoned or not? Should I wear a more casual vest vs one that comes with a suit? Is a pocket watch too much? Things like that.

Thank you in advance.
>>
don't do it it looks so tacky
>>
>>10854789
You think so? Do you just not like them at all, or just not like them without a suit jacket?

Could you suggest something else so that I'm not just wearing a buttonup and tie every day?
>>
>>10854778
>I've been told that wearing the vest without the jacket doesn't look as good since the vest has that little synch in the back.
Of all the reasons there are for it to not look good this is the stupidest one I've ever read

>Other than that, any advice on waistcoats would be great. Bottom button buttoned or not?
Never

>Should I wear a more casual vest vs one that comes with a suit?
My only rule when choosing a vest to wear by itself is no satin in the back, I think it looks very tacky besides that there's really not much to lear, just be sure your vest is not clashing with anything else on your outfit and please for the love of Buddha don't wear a pocket square on your vest

>Is a pocket watch too much?
Only if you hangout with the hipster crowd or are going to a costume party

Just have fun with them, vest are a good way to get yourself noticed without looking too dressy
>>
>>10854900
Thank you very much for that post. Very helpful.
>>
File: tiecombo7.jpg (193KB, 675x1350px) Image search: [Google]
tiecombo7.jpg
193KB, 675x1350px
>>10854778
waistcoats can look terrible, but really anything can. With your shirts and tie option, your tie should always be a darker shade than your shirt. If you want to wear a waistcoat, making sure it fits is your number one goal. Make sure it has high armholes, fits snug around shoulders and torso but without there being any pulling around the buttons or the fabric at the back. You should button up it expect for the top button.
>>
>>10855017
>You should button up it expect for the top button.

I've never heard of leaving the top button open. Did you mean the bottom button?
>>
File: Wallace-482x298.jpg (17KB, 481x298px) Image search: [Google]
Wallace-482x298.jpg
17KB, 481x298px
>>10854778
Wallace & Gromit core desu
>>
>>10855087
ah yep sorry about that. i meant bottom.
>>
>>10854789
Why do you say that? I've always thought they look quite nice unless they are going full fedora tier.
>>
Vests should absolutely have four pockets - two chest pockets and two waist pockets. The chest pockets are necessary for good vest aesthetics - they help make your chest look wider.

>>10855126
IMO the bottom button is highly dependent on the vest, especially when they have long points on the front. Vests like that are usually tailored for one or the other. I have some vests that are made so the bottom button doesn't close, and some that are cut so that they don't look right if it's left unbuttoned. Generally, you want to leave any buttons below your navel undone, on jackets or vests.

Speaking of long points, vests should have a more shaped bottom in general. Right angle points and straight lines aren't really flattering unless you're talking sweater vests.
>>
>>10854900
Good advice all around. Contrasting fabric backs can be okay as long as they're not satin or shiny.

Also I would make an exception for pocket watches/chains you inherited from your great grandfather and the like. You have a right to family heirlooms. Costume jewelry is always bad desu
>>
lots of different styles to choose from too
>>
What does /fa/ think about floral patterned vests?
>>
>>10855540
>pocketwatch
What about a gift from your wife with her picture in it?

You're basically saying something with sentimental value is done?
>>
>>10857784
If you're confident enough I think that's alright. You're clearly not a hipster so I think you could pull it off so long as it has some sentimental value.
>>
>>10854778
>I'll be working as a teller in a bank, so it seems to me like a suit is overdressing
A normal sack suit is never overdressing, it's completely informal.

>I have a three piece suit, but I've been told that wearing the vest without the jacket doesn't look as good since the vest has that little synch in the back.
Cinch.

>Is this true, or doesn't it matter?
It's complete horseshit. There's practically no such thing as a waistcoat without a cinch. Even if you get it fully tailored, the tailor will put one in, in case you get fatter or slimmer. On most men the gut is where increased/decreased fat first starts to tell, so the right amount of cinch can fluctuate even over a short period of time.

>Bottom button buttoned or not?
Single-breasted waistcoat: don't button it.
Double breast: do button it.

>Should I wear a more casual vest vs one that comes with a suit?
There's not much distinction in "casualness" between a matching and an odd waistcoat. The main concern is to make sure that your waistcoat harmonizes with the suit and the rest of your outfit, if you wear an odd one.

>Is a pocket watch too much?
You should wear it if you use it. Don't wear one just as a gimmick.
>>
Wonderful information. Thank you everyone for being so helpful!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.