[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been dealing with Dandruff for about 3 months now and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

File: nizoral.jpg (5KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
nizoral.jpg
5KB, 237x213px
I've been dealing with Dandruff for about 3 months now and have tried selsun blue, ive tried ion shampoo and ive recently tried Nizoral. I thought the nizoral worked after the second time using it but now it no longer is working. And another thing about it, the nizoral is peeling my face away its incredibly weird. It isnt bad but you can definitely tell my face is a lot more dry and flaky. I am so nervous because i start school soon and dandruff looks fucking terrible. I have brown hair so the white shows up even more. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this fucking shit?
>>
>>10836655
go to a doctor?
>>
>>10836655
Also just found out my Psorisis that I have had on my scrotum is coming back. It kinda just went away for the last 10 months but its starting to come back. Discolored skin and sort of painful/itchy. (No it isnt an std)
>>
I had the same problem. After shampooing and conditioning, I washed my hair with a mixture of 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar followed by a 5 second rinse. It really helped and the smell goes away as soon as it dries. Also washing three times a week at most.
>>
>>10836680
It may be psoriasis on your scalp too.
>>
>>10836768
how can i tell?
>>
>>10836797
go to a doctor.
>>
Actually, when I put my hand on my stomach or chest and brush down you can see skin just come off of it. Is that normal? Like for skin to just come off to the touch? The same is for my face I could press on my face and you can look at my finger and just see skin. I dont think this was ever like this before. What is going on?
>>
A doctor could write me a perscription for ketoconazole, but id prefer to stay away from prescription stuff as it might screw me up even worse. Please help me in deciding what i should do
>>
>>10837387
is it winter where you live? skin is way drier in the winter.
>>
>>10837387

Ya dun goofed by overusing these antifungals op. Have you taken antibiotics before by any chance?

Dandruff is caused by a fungus known as "malleszia". These fungi are part of the normal skin flora but when you start developing dandruff that means they're overpopulating your flora. Id suggest using 1/2 ACV 1/2 water mixture to combat this. Such fungus thrives in a basic environment. By using otc shampoos you are basifying your skin and scalp, thereby enabling the fungus to repopulate even after you use topical antifungals. This is just the nature of otc shampoos. Naturally, your skin and hair is slightly acidic. Using this acv mixture will rebalance your skin/ hair pH and create an environment less suitable for the fungus.

Also respond with regards to the antibiotics bc that's a crucial piece of information for treating this ailment.

Good luck m8.
>>
>>10837387
not normal
>>
>>10837910
Have i been on anti biotics before? Well yeah for being sick and such but not for a while. The issue arrose in november. I have first tried ionized shampoo that has no harsh chemicals or whatever because for the last few years ive used Suave moroccon oil and out of nowhere the shit started happening. So I tried selsun blue moisturizor from wallmart and now nizoral from wall-greens. I heard cocounut oil could help i just wanted to ask you guys. Doctors will just try to prescribe really harsh shit
>>
>>10837966
DO NOT DO NOT USE COCONUT OIL.

Malassezia yeasts are lipophilic and in some cases lipid dependent. They feed on short chain fattyacids. Some research I read a while back said they have a high affinity for sub-20 carbon fatty acid chains. Coconut oil has some of the highest concentrations of short chain fatty acids. Using topical coconut oil will likely severely intensify your problems. Using the 1/2 acv 1/2 water method may seem primitive, but the science seems to be sound. I've done a lot of research on antibiotics/antifungals (neurosci/bio double major).

Altering the pH of your flora can severely detriment the enzymatic activity of fungus/bacteria.

The reason I asked about antibiotics is because as prescription antibiotics increase in strength, the more of your flora they kill off. In response, when there are fewer competing bacteria in your flora, fungus/more resistant bacteria will often take their place. In your case it seems that you have an overgrowth of the malassezia yeast. I had some similar issues when I came off of high strength antibiotics for pneumonia.

I'd suggest checking out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3KtR3LoqM

I take 3 tablespoons of unmodified potato starch into a glass of water 2x a day in an effort to maintain/proliferate good bacteria in my microbiome. More research is coming out today that your gut microbiome may actually impact your skin flora. Might not be conclusive, but it the resistant starch really helped my condition.

writing this in a rush btw hope it makes sense

TL;DR: 1/2 acv + 1/2 water for shampoo 2-3x a week, dont wash the other days in an effort to maintain optimal pH, consume resistant starches
>>
>>10838261
>>10837966
btw the unmodified potato starch is cheap and literally tasteless so you should be able to stomach it dont worry
>>
>>10838261
Dont wash as in dont take a shower? And do you think it has anything to do with diet? my diet isnt very bad i dont eat crappy foods or anything. And you are saying put unmodified potato starch on my head?
>>
>>10838313
I'm saying to ingest unmodified potato starch orally in a glass of water. I mean don't wash as in don't use shampoo or anything, just use water.
>>
>>10838325

Do you have sebhorric dermatitis? I think i have this and have recently used coconut oil on my scalp, Thinking about it, it's has gotten worse since then.
>>
>>10838325
Wouls this help with a yeast infection

>virgin with yeast infection
End me
>>
Could garlic help?
>>
>>10838261

Does it have to be organic acv?
>>
>>10838391
bump for this
>>
>>10838467
I don't think so, but I use bragg's organic acv with the 'mother' still intact
>>
>>10838501
Is this better than tea tree oil?
>>
>>10838467
>>10838353
I mean garlic is just healthy in general, but definitely not something you should consume in excess because of the pungent odor
>>
>>10838503
Never used tea tree oil or read much about it. I'll do some research later... Posting from my phone now.
>>
>>10838513
Thank you, i just want this shit fixed...
>>
>>10838513
>>10838503
Tea Tree oil seems to be effective for treating dandruff. That being said, I've personally never used it and I can't really comment on the mechanism by which it is effective, but it seems like a pretty solid option. The link below may be a good starting point if you're interested in learning more about the efficacy of tea tree oil.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/table/t5/

>>10838353

I'm not going to claim that this will be your be all and end all cure, but resistant starch should help you repopulate your flora with healthy bacteria. I also read a bit about taking asorbic acid and B vitamins in an effort to acidify sweat to combat candida infections? Seems like pseudoscience to me. WebMD seems to imply that a loss of probiotic bacteria could cause yeast infections, so unmodified potato starch should help. Also check out the probiotic known as VSL3. It's the only OTC probiotic that has shown clinical efficacy in repopulating the microbiome. I tried it for a while last semester.

Also I found the study that shows Mallasezia yeast have a high affinity for fatty acids that are a length of C11 to C24

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1198797/pdf/biochemj00724-0062.pdf

Natural skin pH according to this study is around 5.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18489300

Another study indicates that Malassezia growth peaks between a pH of 5-8, so bringing your pH slightly below the mean will likely help anyone's dandruff issues.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC227028/

sry 4 any grammar errors
>>
>>10838346
I may have had a very mild form of it, yes. But by using ACV to exfoliate and a moisturizer low in short chain fatty acids I have essentially cured all of my skin ailments aside from the occasional zit when I eat like shit for a while or drink too much on the weekend. I used 1000 roses day cream to moisturize because it's mainly composed of rosehip and pomegranate oils. OP should probably look into this shit for the skin flakiness too... gl with ur ailments everyone :^)
>>
>>10838706
The doctor looked at my scalp and didnt see any fungus or anything that would cause dry scalp. So thats why he recomended selsun blue. But I think I need oil, ive used morrocon oil before i started getting dandruff
>>
>>10836655
Make sure you use the BLUE version of selsun blue. It doesn't matter which brand you are using, you have to make sure the chemicals are different. The two big ones are Zinc (white) and Selenium (Blue). It takes about a week for any of them to work at which point, all the dandruff on your head will fall off at once. In large skin chunks. Make sure you leave it in for at least 30+ Seconds and the Medication is reaching the scalp.
>>
>>10838762
Oil will make your Dandruff worse as it will also bring it bacteria and fungus. Shedding is a completely seperate action caused by retarded chemicals in the body.
>>
>>10838762
>i dont see any fungus here
>heres an antifungal shampoo to cure your dandruff
>>
>>10838788
Is the blue version the one that says "moisturizer" on the front? It has a green label, the zinc one had a yellow label
>>
>>10838706
Tea tree oil is a sham. It only relieves the symptoms of Dandruff. i.e. the itching, inflammation, smell. The most reliable cure on the market is Selenium Sulfide based shampoos until the dandruff is gone, then once a week for maintenance, making sure to leave it in long enough that the medication saturates the scalp.
>>
>>10838762
Such fungus is not visible to the eye... He would've had to take a sample of your skin and analyzed it to much that conclusion.
>>
>>10838797
Does it have selenium sulfide in it as the active ingredient?

Your scalp likely isn't dry. Your body thinks its dry, so its overproducing a ton of oil and skin. The root cause could be anything from diet, to stress, to alcoholism and cigarettes. Just get the classic Selsun Blue with Selenium Sulfide.

Large chunks of skin will start falling out by the second day. By a week or two, your dandruff will be but a memory. After that, maintain with once a week and rotate in a Zinc based Dandruff shampoo as well.
>>
>>10837910
>>10838261
>>10838706
this nigga knows his dandruff
>>
>>10838820
No, hes just posting shit he found on the internet. Noone knows Dandruff until they start putting shit on their head. There is so much crockpot theory. Kinda like acne medications.
>>
>>10838805
>The most reliable cure
>cure

I really don't think you're curing anything when you need to use it once a week indefinitely. This is known as masking your problem.

"During dandruff, the levels of Malassezia increase by 1.5 to 2 times its normal level."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2887514/

Why not just rebalance your skin flora, because, you know, modern science says, like, we can do that, and stuff?
>>
>>10838827
>>10838827
>crockpot theory

that's why I cited literally everything for you retard... I had dandruff when I was younger and now I don't. Nobody really gives a shit about finding a cure for dandruff because making people use selsun indefinitely is more profitable... Rather than denouncing everything I've said, how about you do the research and think about it logically. After all, who is going to perform and fund a study about the role of pH in dandruff? Nobody... especially when you can just throw some inorganic compound on your head and mask it.
>>
>>10838862
Not if selsun blue didnt work like in OP's case.
>>
>>10838878
OP here, maybe I wash wrong. I put it in my hair for 10 seconds then rinse it off. Ive done the same with nizoral, am I suppose to leave it on longer? I havent used any conditioner because i didnt know if i was allowed to while using medicated shampoos. Could that be it
>>
>>10838891
maybe leaving it in longer will help yea try that
>>
>>10838898
Still re comend selsun over the nizoral?
>>
>>10838891
Keep it on your scalp longer than that, maybe a minute or more.

You probably need to talk to a dermo though.
>>
>>10839015
cant afford one, thats why i am here but okay thanks. Like should i scrub it for a minute or just leave it t here
>>
>>10838261
What do you think of the raw honey method?
>>
>>10836655

just to add to the already very competent posting:

you need to be looking at shampoos containing ketoconazole. this is what is in nizoral and is one of the very few proven formulations. also miconazole is effective but is typically used in pet shampoos.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23557492

use every 3 days and leave in for a few minutes to ensure the treatment actually reaches the skin. when you're not using ketoconazole switch to a shampoo containing selenium sulphide or zinc pyrithione. because of the nature of the condition, you shouldn't be using nizoral for prolonged periods as the flora will just become resistant to it.

i had terrible dandruff and this gave noticeable improvement in 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>10839186
I started using nizoral and my face was peeling off. Is that normal?
>>
>>10839186
Am I suppose to scrub really hard? Am I suppose to dry really hard or what? It sucks cuz i never had this before..
>>
>>10839884
anyone?
>>
>>10839186
What about conditioning?
>>
>>10839772
it's a known side effect and of course treating skin conditions will vary from person to person.
i have dry skin on my face already so didn't noticed a marked change in that, but it did clear up. this worked for me so might not necessarily work for you, but stick with it and give the product time to do its job. one wash is not enough and in my experience it got worse before getting better (since you're causing everything to flake off)

>>10839884
don't scrub too hard, you don't want to damage/irritate the skin as you will just exacerbate the problem

>>10840030
avoid conditioning too much if you can, the oils can promote the problem, but once a week shouldn't be too much of an issue (what i do)
it seems the main problems people are having are some of the side effects and figuring out a good routine.

1. persevere, one week is not long enough.
2. give the product time to work, massage in and leave for 2-3 minutes. don't shower with the water too hot.
3. stick with one anti fungal for 2-4 weeks before you write it off as ineffective. if there is no improvement in 4 weeks try another product.
4. alternate the product you use. anti fungal every three days, selenium/zinc in between.
5. avoid irritating ingredients such as "fragrance", salicylic acid, parabens
6. tea tree is a myth
>>
>>10840534
i should also add that once the problem is under control, phase out the use of antifungals. no point using it if there is no issue. if the problem returns phase it back in, but try another product. this is a live organism living on your scalp and they can be very adaptable. microorganisms are extremely resilient and as evidenced by the current antibiotic crisis they can evolve on a very short time scale. keep them on their toes as it were.
>>
>>10840545
So stuff might just stop working? Wtf is that shit
>>
You guys are seriously telling OP he has dandruff when he just has dry skin
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.