[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, I'm looking to design a new gear set for my rally car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1452211133267.jpg (45KB, 634x504px) Image search: [Google]
1452211133267.jpg
45KB, 634x504px
Hi,
I'm looking to design a new gear set for my rally car transmission. Does anyone have any experience with the calculations of the gears?

I'd love some tips.
The final assembly will be modelled in autodesk inventor.

Pic somewhat related.
>>
It is basic shit. What do you understand already?

Do you understand how gear ratios work to give the input's power source more or less leverage over what the power is being applied to?

Also you need to consider final drive, which is another gear and your wheel size.
>>
>>944083
do you even have a dyno of your shitbox?
>>
>>944097
Basically i don't know shit about this. I'm looking for less powerdrop between gears, high accelleration and low top speed.
>>
>>944113
>I'm looking for less powerdrop between gears

So, you think you can knock a design for a hypoid bevel pinion gear set in Autodesk when:

>Basically i don't know shit about this

Anything beyond fiddling with basic gear ratios is a complex mechanical engineering problem. Or you'll end up with a whine louder thn a jet engine and a differential full of broken gear teeth in short order.
>>
>>944113
what transmission do you have? what gears are available for that transmission? many different cars use the same transmission but with different gear ratios. you might be able to find stock gears you can just swap in.
>>
You're gonna want to use wildhaber-novikov gears to get the performance you need
>>
>>944133
It's a standard Almera (Pulsar) N15 box. Rumor has it that the Primera gearbox fits and is better, but i never got this confirmed.
The modelling part is basically an attempt at two birds, one stone, since i have a modelling project coming up at school.
>>
>>944278
>Almera
>front wheel drive
>not even 150 ib-ft of torque on the bigger engine
>thinking you're going to get any real acceleration out of this without a full engine swap
My fucking Cherokee is faster than your sedan is, stock. You're going to absolutely kill your gas mileage to gain MAYBE two seconds at absolute best and have a car that's unbearable to drive at highway speeds due to being geared so low.
>>
>>944083
TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL. IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW OR FUCK IT UP IT'LL NEVER BE RIGHT. THERE'S PRACTICALLY NO MARGIN FOR ERROR.
>>
>>944365
This is satire right?
>>
>>944358
And a fighter jet can outrun your cherokee.
It's a rally car. Gas mileage doesn't matter. Driving comfort doesn't matter. It just needs to be as fast as possible with the engine it has, because of rules and regulations.
>>
>>944513
>And a fighter jet can outrun your cherokee.
The point is that your car is slow as fuck and changing the gearing isn't going to help much. And if you're wanting to do rally, there's much better base cars you could start with.
>>
OP won't be able to afford machining costs so that gear set will only be a school project.

Gear ratios are easy to calculate. Modelling machinable gears which will actually work, not so much. Straight cut gears are easiest but OP would need to tear down a stock box and measure the parts which interface with gears and get precise shaft centerline distances.
>>
>>944123
This
>>
File: 1409017203799.jpg (100KB, 1116x932px) Image search: [Google]
1409017203799.jpg
100KB, 1116x932px
>>944769
how do they machine those bevel gears anyway? can't imagine machining every channel by hand before CAD was invented. is there a trick like with straight gears?
>>
File: kacy-catanzaro_0.jpg (17KB, 740x493px) Image search: [Google]
kacy-catanzaro_0.jpg
17KB, 740x493px
>>945434
nvm i googled it
http://users.beagle.com.au/lathefan/Cutting%20a%20bevel%20gear.pdf

it's as bad as i thought
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.