[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best DIY dust collection systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: dust collector.jpg (95KB, 730x548px) Image search: [Google]
dust collector.jpg
95KB, 730x548px
I saw a guy on here about 2 or 3 months ago who had a bitchin' home made dust collection system. anyone got some decent designs saved

how powerful is a home made one and how can I make a super powerful one for under $300
>>
>>943668
depends on your goal. going to be tough to be under budget if you want to filter out all the fine dust that fucks your lungs. if you just want chip collection that means you don't have to sweep as much, easy.
>>
>>943712
what is a realistic budget for getting the fine dust?
>>
>>943718
So basically the filter is the expensive component. You're wanting to capture shit that's less than 10 microns at least down to around 2 or 3 microns...it's safest to just say screw it and go straight to HEPA at this point.

Everything else is just making something to put the filter in to force air through and the hoses to hook it up. You can be as fancy or as ghetto as you want so long as you've got a good seals. Let's call this around $50.

The deal with filters is you need one that captures small enough crap, but doesn't put too much restriction on the system (else you'll burn out your vacuum), so look and see how many cfm your vacuum is rated for, then find filters that match or exceed (a little extra restriction isn't bad, but you still want to avoid it) that level of cfm and build something around that.

Another alternative is to buy those rectangular/square hepa filters, then tape that to a box fan that you leave on (I'd try to shoot for the 1" deep ones with as many pletes as you can find because they'll take longer to get full).
>>
>>943731
Adding to this is the idea of multi-stage filtration.

Get a coarse filter or a vortex knockdown vessel like in OP, then step up to a generic air filter, then finish off with the HEPA.
>>
I got an old attic fan, built four sided box with holes cut in each side for A/C filters, and put the fan on top. When I want to dust, I put my mask on, turn the fan on, and blow the room with an electric leaf blower.
>>
>>943718
Blow that shit out from your shop. Exhaust it to the athmosphere.
>>
>>944048
That will get rid of some of it, but the fine dust doesn't have enough momentum to be blown. it need a strong air current to move it, and attic fan probably isn't strong enough.

>>944062
seconded

>>943731
Be aware, the more ghetto you are with the hoses, the bigger (more expensive) motor you will need to get enough suction. (also remember suction tops out at 1 atmosphere of pressure because physics)
Same thing with filters. every filter you add reduces air flow. You can counter this by having bigger filters (a filter that lets 1/2 the air flow per square inch but is twice as big works. This is why you see those box fan filter box things.
>>
>>944088
>>>944048
>That will get rid of some of it, but the fine dust doesn't have enough momentum to be blown. it need a strong air current to move it, and attic fan probably isn't strong enough.
How the fuck do you think the above won't work but the below will?
>>>944062
>seconded
>>
>>944088
>but the fine dust doesn't have enough momentum to be blown.

Having a shop but not owning an air compressor, eh ?
>>
>>944094
Its more likely than you think
>>
File: Pi2.png (4MB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
Pi2.png
4MB, 2500x1667px
>>943668
>>
>>943668
I am not OP but looking to build a dust collection system too.

I have a few old shopvacs laying around, but I also have a full size house furnace blower fan. I also have a smaller squirrel cage fan too, if the furnace one is too big.

Are these blowers not a good idea to use in a system?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.