[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Digital Piano, Inconsistent Velocities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: yamaha-p-60-12576[1].jpg (107KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
yamaha-p-60-12576[1].jpg
107KB, 1600x1200px
After about 10 years of use I decided to give my digital piano a "service" by taking out all the keys, cleaning them (lots of fluff, a fair bit of tobacco and even some drink splashes) and then re-greasing the mechanisms. I didn't have proper grease so I used Vaseline.

The keys feel nicer to the touch now but some keys sound significantly louder than others for the same level of pressure.

Looking at the MIDI velocities it produces verifies that some keys are more sensitive than others.

My question is how could I go about fixing it? What could I have done to make them inconsistent?

The pressure sensing system is simply a rubber dome with two conductors - one slightly longer than the other so it makes a connection first. It then measures the time between the first and second contact for the velocity.

I don't see how I could have interfered with that, so I'm guessing it's the physical keys (and the dummy hammers, etc, that give it the weighted feel).

Any ideas? It's driving me up the wall, what with certain notes sticking out like a sore thumb every time.

I thought about making an Arduino powered device that compensates the MIDI velocities directly, correcting the appropriate velocity bytes by consulting a table (that I'd have to generate myself, mostly through trial and error), but I'd rather make the keys respond uniformly like they used to.
>>
is it a p60?
the rubber contact strips are in groups (AFAIK) - If you had a range of 5 keys in a row that are responding differently, swap that strip (cheap) - if its non uniform/scattered - dunno. but the velocity measurement does come from the rubber dome/strips, as you noted.
>>
>>942745
>is it a p60?
Yes it is. I was sure I put them back in the right order (if memory serves it was pretty much impossible not to, owing to their shape and size - but I might be wrong).

I'll have to have a look though. Not looking forward to the room becoming a sea of keys and hammers again though...
>>
>>942737
Based on what you described, I'm betting you got grease or something else conductive into the switches if issue is that they are loud.

I'd mark the off keys, pull it apart and clean the pads and rubber with an appropriate contact cleaner.
>>
>>942904
Possibly but the rubber strips were back in place (firmly held down by the chassis) when I did the lubing-up.

One thing I noticed was that the genuine grease was quite a bit thicker. I put that down to age-hardening to an extent, but I'm sure it was thicker when it was applied in 2003).

Maybe the mechanism relied in part on the viscosity of the grease, lending a small amount of friction.
>>
>>942904
But I'm gonna have to give the whole thing a cleanout I suppose. What should I use? Isopropyl alcohol?
>>
>>942906
Could be that heat from being plugged in/used melted the vasoline a little, made it flow some and got into places it shouldn't have...has this been pretty consistent after you reassembled it?
>>
>>942909
Yeah I'd considered this, but I think I recall the problem pretty early on. I think it's got worse but that could just be it getting on my nerves even more, now I know it's not just my imagination/room acoustics.
>>
>>942907
Yeah, alcohol will dissolve any fats/oils. I'd say unplug it, hit it with alcohol, then wipe with damp cloth, then let dry.

Between water and alcohol you can dissolve almost anything organic.
>>
Im guessing, all things considered, Vaseline (or any petroleum-based) lube was prob. not your best idea.

5 min RND google -"Yamaha Keyboard Grease" or whatever - would suggest they use two different types:

VD456002 "Key Grease" 50 Grams - $61.32
(used on the hammer and pivot point of the key)

TX920270 - "Silicon Grease" 100 grams - $81.32
(used on the rubber key guide in the front of the key)

Those (prices) being rape (from 2010..) - doubtful any less painful now.

General consensus seems to be, White Lithium/Teflon Grease (any) would be as near as.

No personal experience of the validitiy of any of this either, mind - was mildly interested in Yamaha hate threads, as got screwed over on a P80 with manufacturer-supplied defect keyboard, which they refused to replace. Last dime those ... see from me, ah tellyer. But, I digress.

IMO, take it apart (again..), remove Vaseline as best as, apply something more suitable, re-assemble, cross fingers. If it worked before, and, lube was the only thing changed - no reason why it wont work it again. Maybe.
>>
>>942907
Rubbing alcohol would be a safe choice, yes. Get the higher % alcohol if you have to run out and buy it.

There are harsher chemicals you could use as contact cleaners but some would be hard on the rubber part.
>>
>>942941
>IMO, take it apart (again..), remove Vaseline as best as, apply something more suitable, re-assemble, cross fingers. If it worked before, and, lube was the only thing changed - no reason why it wont work it again. Maybe.
Yeah this is my only course of action I think. Best start looking for grease.
>>
>>942941
Something like this?

http://www.autosessive.com/products/61237/white-lithium-grease-500ml?gclid=Cj0KEQiA89u1BRDz8enExq7rvN0BEiQAaFCHm1317knqUw3xmNQ2h3sUSnWyViWvnVBFriDFyxZz_UYaAovS8P8HAQ#fo_c=1195&fo_k=7e6b7fcb9167eb73d6707f93f7c66ea8&fo_s=gplauk
>>
>>942941
Biggest issue with Vaseline that I could find is that it melts at fairly low temps compared to grease, so not a good bearing lube. For this application... probably OK. If keyboard sits in sun... would probably melt out on a hot day.

White lithium grease would have been my suggestion for this as well.
>>
>>942948
>If keyboard sits in sun... would probably melt out on a hot day.
Damn. I busked with it over the summer and this one time I was in the sun and the black plastic got quite hot (you could even smell burning plastic slightly). I moved it but still.

I only just remembered I did that. How moronic! It's probably splurged all over the shit inside now. Must have been like an oven in there.
>>
I've found a tube of Miller's Delta 2EP in the shed. It seems suitable, what do you reckon?

http://www.frost.co.uk/grease-gun-cartridge-400g.html
>>
>942947
>942957
- as said dude, your guess be as good as mine on best brand to use, etc. - but, you certainly cant fault either on price. Esp if its in the shed anyway. And yet, you still chose Vaseline instead..

They both prob. as good as any other variant desu (and def. an improvement on Vaseline). Given the time/hassle involved tho, I'd (personally..) maybe try Googling up someone who has actually done this successfully 1st - seen DuPont Teflon White Lithium recommended, which is totally informative, as this appears to be no longer produced.

Also get ebay piano shops knocking out 'special keyboard grease' - which is prob. exactly the same as your $5/back-of-the-shed job at five times the price. Fuck it tho, youre obv. a man of impulsive action, with no inclination towards unnecessary expense - go for it, can only be an improvement.

>and this one time I was in the sun..
- kek - I like how we are slowly getting to the source of the problem here.. post success (or otherwise) of repair attempt redux - always good info for the /diy/ archive, which appears to longer exist either, but, nevermind.
>>
>>942976
Jesus, what a cunt.
>>
>>942976
Are you that retard who started the seizing stuff thread?

If so, go away. You're fucking worthless.
Actually, go away anyway.

White lithium can be bought at literally any fucking home improvement/supplier store on this planet. Doesn't even have to be a big box.
>>
>>942950
Yeah, that's why I brought it up. Pretty typical thing to do with an instrument if you perform. Given that, would highly suggest you re clean it and use a more suitable grease that can handle the temps.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.