[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solder Smell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: solderrolls.jpg (664KB, 1500x810px) Image search: [Google]
solderrolls.jpg
664KB, 1500x810px
tl;dr: Any suggestions on leaded solder that doesn't smell like shit?

I've been using the roll of solder on the right for basically my whole life. My dad used the same stuff growing up, and he gave this to me when I moved out; it has to be at least 20 years old. Maybe it's just because I grew up with it, but the smoke actually smells pretty good.

I ran out recently and started using the roll on the left. It works fine, but it smells fucking awful. I start getting headaches if I solder for too long. I should probably set up a solder fume extractor even for the old one, but I'd like to find a replacement that smells closer to the old roll.

Presumably it's the flux core that determines the smell. I don't know what kind of flux the old roll used, my pic is all that's left of the label. I'd guess it's rosin core based on how hard it is to clean the flux off. The small picture in the lower right seems to be what the label looked like when it was new, but who knows what the specs were.
>>
>>942720
Rosin core solder is exactly what it is, pine tree sap. I have tons of old solder nothing works better.
>>
>>942726
And pretty much all rosin smells decent, or is there a lot of variation for some reason?
>>
>>942720
old flux: gives you cancer, smells nice
new flux: gives you cancer, smells awful so you don't smell it anymore

the lead won't hurt you but the vaporized organics will anon
>>
>>942720
I solder with a fan to blow the solder fumes and smoke away.
>>
>>942732
Yeah, I know they're both bad. It took me about 10 years to go through the old roll, though, so I'm not too worried.

>>942738
You still smell it a bit even if it's not right in your face. The old smell gives me nostalgia feels, even a hint of it is a bonus.
>>
After looking through some solder datasheets (never thought I'd say that...), I think this is the most likely to be what I had before, except in 63/37: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=386839&vendor=82

The 'Crystal 400' on the new roll is apparently referring to a specific formula of no clean flux. I'm assuming the no clean part is my culprit, and that anything rosin will be a big improvement, like >>942726 said.
>>
>>942720
Drip some maple syrup on your solder. The room will smell like pancakes every time you use it.
>>
File: DSCN9448c.jpg (919KB, 2056x2496px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9448c.jpg
919KB, 2056x2496px
>>942720
Make a flow hood. You can solder all day long in mine and never once smell anything from it: >>942783
>>
>>942786
How and why did this image repost? The filter didn't even catch it.
>>
I solder while wearing a cycling anti-pollution mask. Activated carbon filter rated to catch the crap that comes out the back of old cars so you don't breathe it in while cycling, it literally blocks out farts, asbestos, and solder fumes.

Respro ones are quite pricey, worth every penny imho, but there are undoubtedly cheaper ones available.
>>
>>942860
I'm gonna need proof that it actually blocks organic vapors and asbestos or particules with any kind of efficiency
>>
>>942880
Not totally sure about asbestos actually, I had it in mind when I first got the thing but never looked properly into the requirements, but the filters do handle VOC's. Of course, because it's not sold as an industrial product, it doesn't get sold as complying with the European standards, but it looks like it does anyway, just from the advertising bumf. I use http://respro.com/store/product/techno-filter-twin-pack with it, although again, alternative/better probably exist.
>>
>>942860
you sir
are a fucking moron
if you believe that

Only a respirator that is made for fumes will stop fumes and vapours, and it will have been tested to a standard put forward by the government and industry.

What you have pictured is a piece of felt that holds a filter that shops partials and debris, not fumes and gasses and may stop black shit coming out of your nose.
>>
>>942860
You fucked up
>>
>>942860
If I pulled that off, would you die?
>>
>>942935

It would be very painful
>>
>>942946
>>942935
for you
>>
>>942891
I like not having black shit coming out my nose. So I think I'll keep using my mask.
>>
>>942923
Yeah, big woop, wanna fight about it?
>>
>>943080
He meant you should use a better mask (like a respirator with appropriate cartridges) or a fume hood.

Not that you should stop using a mask.
>>
>>942860
You shouldn't be offering advice on safety when you're quite obviously as dumb as a rock.
>>
>>943110
Oh I'm sorry. I stated what *I* used, with the qualifiers of what I thought the limitations were and a link to the product page so someone could make up their own mind on it's utility and _that_ makes me dumb as a rock?

Heh. Good one. I like it.

I'll still stick with my mask. I went from daily migraines from breathing unfiltered fumes before using it, to no migraines with using it.
Now I might not be as smart as you, but I think that tells me it's removing something toxic from what I'm breathing in, and therefore is worth using.

Now, I'm not saying a respirator wouldn't do a better job - Of course it will, it's a fucking respirator.

Now, how about posting some actual advice and ideas for things that would be better than my suggestion, instead of spending a couple hours on witty insults? How about informing us all of the CORRECT type of filter for a recommended respirator? Or what type of system you would build for a fume hood?

You know. Helpful things.
>>
>>943126
Homie, there's a reason that OSHA more heavily fines using incorrect interventions than using no interventions at all.

Bad advice/information is more dangerous than no information.
>>
>>942786

Nice. I live in constant fear of my dremel's cutting disk shattering and hitting me in the face, I might build something like that.
>>
>>943232
You can also wear a face shield.
>>
>>943126
There's also placebo. Not to be underestimated.
>>
Good to know that even /diy/ threads can get derailed into unrelated shit flinging
>>
>>943284
You must be new here.
Most of /diy/ has been like this for the year and a half I've been here.

Just most threads that derail like this die young.
>>
You guys do understand that even a military grade gas mask is just an activated carbon filter, right? Same shit, different package. Sure, its not rated for industrial use. Likely because that's not what its designed for and therefore was never tested in that setting.

But it will work just the same. For how long though? Who knows. Stop bickering like 5 year olds.
>>
>>942860
>Activated carbon
Like 90% sure that doesn't block solder fumes.
>>
On the off chance that anybody gives a shit, my new solder came in today (the stuff I linked in >>942757 ). It's hard to say if it's identical to the old stuff, but it smells much better than the no clean stuff. Mission accomplished.
>>
>>943407
gas masks are also made out of rubber impermiable to gasses, not fucking cloth.
>>
File: 132134257492.jpg (40KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
132134257492.jpg
40KB, 500x364px
>>943133
>>943253
So, you are in fact trolling little cunts who know fact know less than that guy, because I'm not seeing a single response to the questions raised, and you continue to be unhelpful faggots who are all about the personal attack.

Because you know fucking. Nothing. Now go and read this so you know what you're fucking talking about. A discussion on solder hood types, all of which feature activated carbon filters in their design.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr900.pdf

>>943284
As long as children can access this site, so it shall be. I fucking hate being reminded that we have 15 year old on here.

Sage because fuck all of you, especially you OP. You could have run a simple fucking "filtering solder fumes" through google, gotten an answer, and avoided this whole clusterfuck.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.