[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How low can you set your thermostat before your risk pipes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1453667697355.png (177KB, 630x526px) Image search: [Google]
1453667697355.png
177KB, 630x526px
How low can you set your thermostat before your risk pipes begining to freeze?
>>
>>942273
It depends on the house. I keep my house set at 55 in the dead of winter and have no problems. My friend's house was set at 70 and his pipes burst on a cold snap last week.

If the house is well insulated and the pipes are free from drafts then they'll be fine as long as no part of them reaches the freezing point.
>>
>>942273

Not sure, we always just put a heater in our well pump house (lol innawoods) and at night we would crack the faucets so they were just dripping to keep pump running and water flowing throughout the night.
>>
>>942273

Interior or exterior pipes?

I had a plumber friend come solder in shutoff valves to all my spigots. I turn them off and drain before the first freeze.

My basement is partially built and the only part of my house with exposed pipes (minus the spigots). It gets about 5-10 degrees cooler than the rest of my house in winter. 66 upstairs, 61 downstairs 27 degrees outside.

I could probably turn my heat completely off and not worry about the pipes. Then again, I live in the south.

Basically, your mileage may vary.
>>
1degC
>>
>>942279
>I keep my house set at 55 in the dead of winter and have no problems

sounds uncomfortable.
>>
I'm surprised at the number of people who don't have a frost protection setting on their thermostats.
>>
>>942456

/diy/ is full of poorfags
>>
>>942447
not that anon, but i keep my house at 55 as well, with a sweatshirt and slippers on its comfy enough.
>>
>>942389
no, temperatures will vary throughout the house so going very low like that is dangerous especially in the basement
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.