[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the harm in reheating plastic microwave dinner containers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: container.png (154KB, 388x383px) Image search: [Google]
container.png
154KB, 388x383px
Whats the harm in reheating plastic microwave dinner containers?

If it survived the first time you microwaved it, whats the harm in cleaning it and re-using it as a container?

Surely these things don't become toxic or dangerous after just one go in the microwave
>>
>>941717
They degrade in heat and in contact with liquid and other acids in the food, thus releasing chemicals you don't want into the food inside

In simple terms, they are meant to be disposables for one time use only, also, don't be so poorman about a fucking microwave food container
>>
>>941717
Hey Tom!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq7_s8Y6uG8
>>
>>941717
They are toxic to start with.

Storing food in plastic with softeners and flame retardants is always a margin game. The stuff seeps into the food and the only reason it isn't considered poisonous is dose per serving. But many of those components are bioaccumulative. So if you have TV dinners every night for 10 years then your blood work will show the chemicals.

Heating up synthetics makes their inclusions much more mobile. Add acids and bases from foods and it gets really interesting.

Heat your food in ceramics or glass, and don't use the stuff with colorful glazes. That way you don't have to worry about ppm of this or that. You can just eat that stuff, the worst it will impact your body is wearing your tooth enamel. It's in toothpaste.
>>
>>941734
>toxic
>The stuff seeps
>synthetics

that's a lot of non-specifics.
my guess is you have no idea what you are talking about.

OP, of the manufacturer tells you not to reuse, its probably a good idea not to.

find out what can of plastic it is , then read about it.
>>
>>941740
Start with DEHP. Check some lunatic fringe website for a comprehensive list. It doesn't belong here.
>>
spend $10 on some glass containers, jew.
>>
>>941740
I think he knows the basics and realises that a full list would be ridiculous to write out. He's pointing out the relevant factors: Heat and acids/bases doing their work at the plastics. Bioaccumulation.

That he can't mention every single plastic type, their possible additives and what effect a microwave will have on them is quite reasonable.
>>
these things are great for reusing as organizers, in your workshop they are invaluable for holding parts as you disassemble something or need extra storage for parts or screws or whatever. but as for reusing for food... probably not as others have already said. they are meant for one time use for a reason. the plastic is cheap and not reusable. thats why your frozen dinner is so cheap.
>>
>>941873
I use old lunchable containers for small part storage because they stack quite nicely and are all a standard size
>>
>>941740

BPA is the main concern. Not the OP you replied to, but certainly heat breaks down the structural integrity of plastics which is exactly why you don't microwave plastic. I'd go as far as to empty the microwavable dinner onto a plate. It has been shown to cause a hormonal response which triggers the production of estrogen and it has also been linked to cancer in lab rats who were given doses of the chemical.

Just because it's considered "safe practice" by the FDA doesn't mean that it is. It just means that it isn't bad enough to create lawsuits for the company and hurt GDP by forcing excessive procedures that cut into profits.

Plastic cutlery is for plebs anyways.
>>
If you're so cheap you don't want to throw out a piece of plastic, you should stop buying pre-made food and cook yourself
>>
>>941717
Stop being a retard and get some glass/ceramic containers.

Either of those will last near forever.
>>
>>941717
10 for $10 on frozen meals like this. At $1 a meal. What are you expecting? assuming the "food"" is the most expensive part of that $1.
>>
>>942088
Cannibal thread, anyone?
>>
What about meal prep containers that are touted as safe and BPA free?
>>
>>942166
It is very difficult to create a plastic that is flexible, stable across a wide temperature range, and resistant to UV, acids, etc. I am not aware of any genuinely food safe product.

Those containers are as safe as any. Swapping out one hardly explored compound for another because the first got a bad rep won't guarantee that the new one is better. Are bath salts safer than MDMA?
>>
>>941728
>just a couple of drops of oil
>pours fucking at least two tablespoons worth of oil in for a fuckin egg
>bread in the pan is fuckign saturated with oil
i feel sick just looking at this
no wonder americans are fat
>>
>>942348

>oil
>egg

What the fuck ever happened to butter?
>>
what about reusable ziplock type containers? They're almost always clear and I've known people to throw leftovers in them, then just pull the container from the fridge and toss it in the microwave, is that safe? We're not talking several minutes in the microwave, maybe one or two
>>
>>942558
If you try thus for any amount of time you'll get one where the food melts through the bag and becomes ebedded in it.
>>
>>942604
i mean the square containers, not the bags
>>
File: tumblr_lfgt490IEj1qgy5z6o1_400.jpg (50KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lfgt490IEj1qgy5z6o1_400.jpg
50KB, 300x290px
>>942607
Don't microwave plastic.
If you value your life even a little bit take the 5 extra seconds to put your food on ceramic/glass dishware.
>>
>>943001

What's wrong with it? My family does it via tupperware and stuff but if there's a legitimate reason (and sources) we can make the switch.
>>
>>943174
The legitimate reason is like with smoking and cancer 30 years ago: there's some serious doubt but no way to establish facts against the industry. So it's in limbo.

What is proven is that some softeners cause severe endocrinological reactions over time in rats and other lab animals. It messes with hormones.
>>
>>943174
Plastic breaks down with heat. That means some plastic will get into your food when you microwave it.
But, it would take years for any effects to become noticeable (at which point you're fucked and even more retarded).

On the other hand, glass/ceramic last SIGNIFICANTLY longer, are easier to clean, and have none of these issues.

Using plastic containers to heat your food is like using a hammer to drive screws -- it's retarded. Use the right tool for the job, even if you don't care about your health.
>>
>>942348
But he wasn't fat at all.
>>
>>941991
>GDP
>cutlery
confirmed for retard
>>
With school, work and the gym I don't always have time or energy to cook a meal myself, would you guys say it would be better to empty out a microwaveable meal onto a paper plate before cooking? I'm not sure if it would effect the cooking times or not.
>>
>>943568
>Use the right tool for the job
I fail to see how a material with a high thermal mass, high thermal conductivity, and significant absorption of microwaves is "the right tool for the job", unless the job is "burning your fingers".
>>
I use a variety of Pyrex bowls got from yard sales etc, but you can certainly get by with one or two.

It's practical to do all your cooking in a good microwave with study and practice.
>>
>>944932
Get an oven mitt?
>>
>>944916
Paper plates are covered in much the same.
>>
File: plastic surgery.jpg (14KB, 302x200px) Image search: [Google]
plastic surgery.jpg
14KB, 302x200px
Lemme hijack this thread.

Where I am there are certain requirements on how food should be packaged to sell it. It usually involves plastic. You'd be amazed how much is plastic-laced. Even packaging that is apparently 100% cardboard probably has plastic lacing.

Do you think there is any way to package food without plastic without making it a huge mess? Imagine wraps with salad and meat in a single cardboard box, maybe wrapped in parchment paper (or recyclable parchment replacement paper). Would you buy snacks in such packaging?
>>
>>945105
Even if an oven glove were safer than a bowl that physically cannot burn you, you're still waiting longer and paying to heat a bowl instead of your food.
>>
>>945117
Using plastic to package food isn't nearly as bad as cooking plastic into your food.
>>
>>945155
So you save less than a penny per heating session and get to eat plastic.

If your health is worth so little, who am I to disagree?
>>
>>945117
You use glass containers. But the caps still have rubber seals. You can make food safe rubber though.

This used to be a big thing last Century, still is in most super markets. Though cans and foil packs have replaced much.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.