[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/. I'm planning a custom knife. How do I add serrations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: serrations.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
serrations.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
Hey /diy/.

I'm planning a custom knife. How do I add serrations to it the right way?
>>
>>940987
look at what existing knives do
>>
>>940987
>I'm planning a custom knife. How do I add serrations to it the right way?
knife companies use a CNC grinder.
I'd think you could build one for <$200; it would be just a 3-axis positioning setup (like a 3D printer) but with a grinding motor on it instead of a 3d print head. kinda expensive and complicated tho

much cheaper & simpler would be to get a diamond honing steel and use that instead
>>
general process for handmade knives will be to make it straight, then add serrations after heat-treat with EDM stones and an angled jig. a few may use water-cooled grinding setups.
>>
>>940987
Straight edges are so much nicer than combo serrated blades.

Why bother with the extra effort?
>>
>>941007
I want to add fine serrations to the lower part of a kukri blade, since that part tends be moving more slowly and tends to slide over the object being cut more.
>>
>>941012
>knife maker here

Without a cnc to cut the scallops (or building one like the other dumbass suggested), you can do it by hand before hardening with a rat tail file.

Cut each scallop one at a time in one sitting. Preferably in a seated position with the work low close to your lap and securely held in place. This will allow you to hold the file with a comfortably bent elbow hanging at your side swinging like a pendulum. The weight of your hand on the file will do the cutting. This setup significantly reduces muscle fatique and allows you to make exceptionally uniform strokes even as a beginner.

Your dinate hand will hold the file like a steak knife with your index finger along the back 'pointing' directly along the stroke path. Your non-dominated hand will wrap around the blade with your thumb near the contact point of the file to help in repositioning the file on each stroke.

Once you get the rhythm going youll make short work of the cut.

Polish the cuts with rounded over old hones, or round over one of the edges of a lansky style seration hone
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.