[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air Conditioner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: aircon.jpg (564KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
aircon.jpg
564KB, 1936x2592px
Hey /diy/ do you know anything about old airconditioners?

My grandmother lives in an old wooden house and she wanted to use the old aircon in her study since it's summer here. I tested it and it seems to run fine, the only issue is that outside the previous tenants attached a hose for the water to drip out through. However no water comes out after 5+ hours of running, so I'm confused if something is wrong. Grandma says it means the water must be leaking inside the machine and into her walls but I can't find any sign of dampness or water under the house while check out the outside. I found a model number but there's nothing about it on google.

Should I be worried? I've attached a picture of the machine.
>>
I have heard of those hoses getting blocked. Take it off and hold it against a water tap and see if water passes. There may be an internal tray filling up.

Had a relative with one of those who lived near the sea. Each year she would take it out, take the case off and rub everything with fishoil. Perhaps an internal inspection is in order to see if wasps have built a nest and plugged the drain or similar.
>>
>>940616
The drip is to drain condensation from the radiator. If the humidity is low enough, there may be too little condensation to form a drip.

It's easy to check. Take the front off, find the radiator, there should be an obviously pan shaped drip pan underneath it. If there's no water in the pan, you're fine. If there's water in the pan, but it's not draining, it's a blocked drain tube. If so, best to fix that so it doesn't drip inside and cause water damage.
>>
dust will clog it up, dont use bleach, it will destroy the alum
>>
File: acsnot.jpg (25KB, 300x213px) Image search: [Google]
acsnot.jpg
25KB, 300x213px
>>940616
it is important that you get it fixed ASAP. legionnaires is nothing to fuck around with.
>>
>>940635

Any telltale signs to look out for?

>>940624
>>940617

The hose is fitted to the wall, there's a little rubber connecting tube between it and the actual water pipe.

The thing hasn't been used for years, would the water last that long?
>>
>>940624

air conditioners dont have radiators dude, its an AC not a car. you are talking about the EVAPORATOR COIL which is the coil that the condensation drips from. the outside coil is the CONDENSER coil where the heat is transferred to the outside thru the refrigerant

radiator... jesus...
>>
Had the same problem before. It the angle that is the the problem
>>
File: mrlogic[1].jpg (16KB, 312x273px) Image search: [Google]
mrlogic[1].jpg
16KB, 312x273px
>>940832
I'm sure glad you cleared that up.

What a dumbass!
>>
File: 1449174233381.jpg (32KB, 466x466px) Image search: [Google]
1449174233381.jpg
32KB, 466x466px
>>940832
>>
>>940882

no problem. its always nice to tell people the correct terms for their posts especially qhwn they refer to parts and pieces as the wrong term. sure one might assume its a radiator due to it looking like one, but to correct them now means later on they wont confuse others with their false terms and will have the knowledge when they ask a question next time.

I applaud you for pointing out that the other guy was a dumbass for referring to the coils as a radiator, I am sure he wont make that mistake again.

glad to be of help bros
>>
>>940989
bait.jpg

To expand: it's not that you're wrong, you're right, but you're talking about these things in the most obnoxious way possible. That means you're an asshole, and deserve to die alone and forgotten by the world, replaced by more pleasant but equally knowledgable people.

Let me explain by way of example

Hey friend, there are four basic parts to a refrigeration/ air conditioning machine. The evaporator, that's the part that makes the hot air in your house cold, the condenser, that's the part that puts the heat taken out of your house outside, the compressor, that's what turns the gas refrigerant into a liquid, and a metering device, that's what controls the rate of flow of liquid refrigerant into the evaporator coil to cause it to boil off and absorb the heat in your house in the process.

Any questions or confusion let me know.

This is how you discuss these things without being worthless human garbage. No need to thank me, you piece of shit.
>>
>>940832
Kek.

Go back to /o/
>>
>>941023
No such thing as cold air. Wr3cked
>>
>>940616
Some units have something like a "Thermostatic valve" that controls how much moisture is put on the coils. I believe it's a efficiency design, they will sometimes throw water on to the coils to help keep them cool.
>>
>>944272

What the fuck are you talking about?

AC units are fairly simple

You have a sealed copper system that circulates and is pumped by the compressor motor, There should be two fans normally, and two sets of coils, one is the evaporator the other is a condenser.

As the refrigerant is pumped through the system, it goes through mechanical filters on the copper line that I don't know how they work exactly but the basics are simple, the refrigerant is pumped it will cool/freeze the evaporator coils and the fan behind it will blow air through them, cooling said air and blowing inside your house. at the same time it will pick up heat from the air in the room where those coils are and transfer that heat to the condenser coils where a fan should blow that hot air outwards on the other side of the AC.

Heat pumps work much the same way, except there is a switch that will reverse the flow of the refrigerant by making the compressor pump in reverse.

Water is condensation, you'll get condensation when the evaporator coils are exposed to warmer air than they can keep up with its like leaving your refrigerator door open you'll have a puddle of water in your fridge.

Make sure there are no "air leaks" of hot air around your AC, that would be the most logical cause of so much condensation it requires you to install a fucking hose, if that doesn't work and you're well sealled, then you need a better AC that can keep up with the dessert climate you live in.
>>
>>945356
if you want to be pedantic about it the compressor doesn't pump in reverse, the refrigerant is directed through the system in reverse order via the reversing valve.. the compressor can't pump in reverse..
>>
>>945410

thanks, i am not a trained hvac tech but i worked in pull units that went in fridges never pierced copper lines just changing starter components, my understanding is more practical than theory,
>>
>>945356
The filters on the copper line as you say are the easiest part anon.
Gas laws tell us that pressure is proportional to temperature.
If you squeeze something it gets hotter basically.
So ask that happens is the compressor pump increases the pressure of the refrigerant to heat it up.
There is just a very simple restriction in the pipe that allows the pressure to build. Once the refrigerant has passed the restriction there is no pressure so it cools down again. Just think of a garden hose, the water is under pressure in the hose but once it passes the nozzle and is out in the world it isn't under any pressure.
It's all very simple really.
>>
Just grab the hose and blow into it.
>>
>>945356
Actually yes. I have worked on units before that control the condensation by throwing it on the evaporator to assist it.

>heat pumps reverse the flow of refrigerant

Wrong, the reversing valve is what changes the flow. Nothing "reverses" because if it did you'd be putting liquid refrigerant in your compressor and fuck it up, guy.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.