[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMDs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: image.png (347KB, 599x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
347KB, 599x536px
Hey guys, I'm starting my first project using SMDs. I don't have/want to buy an expensive iron with a needle point. I've seen some guys using copper wire wrapped around their iron tip with the wire filed to a point. Any suggestions/advice?
>>
>>940544
More info. What parts? footprints? Masked PCB? What iron do you have?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>940557
Sorry, should have been more specific. It's for an oscilloscope kit I bought. They're 0805 resistors, and two ICs with a bit more space. Pics attached! Thanks
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>940557
Also I have a 30W RadioShack iron. I lost my weller!
>>
File: ws2803.jpg (199KB, 1034x648px) Image search: [Google]
ws2803.jpg
199KB, 1034x648px
>>940544
>I don't have/want to buy an expensive iron with a needle point.

I've soldered a lot of SOP ICs with an $18 GAOJIE iron. If an Iron is under $10 it's probably garbage that will melt its own handle, but everything I've used in the $20 range is fine.

A soldering iron with a needle tip shouldn't cost more than a soldering iron with a chisel tip. The different tips that fit a model of soldering iron usually cost the same. A good store will let you pick the iron and tip separately instead of forcing you to buy an iron with a tip you don't want.

The difference between a $100 and $20 iron is higher wattage and better temperature regulation. You don't need high wattage to solder SMDs. Temperature regulation is nice, but not a must have.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>940563
Component below the "a" in RadioShack for size
>>
>>940565
Thanks! I looked at trying to buy a chisel or bent tip for my iron, but nothing fits. It's an off-the-shelf RadioShack deal. It seems like a lot of the websites don't offer irons with interchangeable tips for less than $150. Do you have a recommended site?
>>
>>940568
Every soldering iron I've ever seen has an interchangeable tip. The websites you're looking at probably aren't listing it as a feature because it's so ubiquitous.
>>
Needle point iron tips are pretty bad for soldering. I have a sharp needle tip, but I use it very rarely, usually for fixing a hard to reach joints.
Pretty much everything can be done with a chisel tip.
>>
>>940761
Even for these size SMD components?
>>
>>940563
you should be able to hand solder 0805s with a standard iron without too much trouble.
>>
>>940565
what program did you use to design that board? I like the minimal removal of copper.
>>
>>941026
especially SMD components. Large tips provide a greater surface tension of the solder that's melted on the tip, meaning that you can just drag a chisel tip along an SMD IC package and the solder will adhere to the pins and separate well purely due to surface tension. Check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUyetZ5RtPs
>>
File: Capture.jpg (180KB, 1048x650px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
180KB, 1048x650px
>>942576
I use Eagle, but I draw the lines I want my CNC machine to cut away instead of how it's supposed to be used.
>>
>>942576
It came as a kit, sorry!
>>
>>942581
Thanks!!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.