[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is AVR over?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: ABX00005_featured_1024x1024.jpg (89KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ABX00005_featured_1024x1024.jpg
89KB, 500x375px
>Arduino announces Arduino/Genuino 101, which is positioned at the same demographic as Arduino Uno
>Arduino 101 uses Intel Curie instead of Atmel AVR
>more advanced version that allows on-chip step debugging introduced (Arduino Zero)
>uses Atmel ARM chip

AVR is being flushed from Arduino product line-up.
>>
>>940336
They aren't dropping AVR at all from what I can see. There is only one through hole design left, but there are plenty of 8bit AVRs there. Got a link to some article showing our claiming they're ditching AVR?
>>
>>940336
>bga
into the trash it goes
>>
>>940497

This. Part of the appeal for me has always been how quickly and easily I can use AVR's attiny, 328p, mega, etc.

I'm doing great with my box of 328p's and quick & easy single sided photoresist PCBs.

Fuck BGA, too unfriendly to hobbyists.
>>
>>940502
Hobbyists just want to use the whole board they already paid $30 for to make a "permanent" project. Then they just buy a new board.
>>
>>940502
I'm sure hobbyists could use an influx of cheap BGA rework machines due to skyrocketing demand.
Already got some good videos by Louis Rossmann on how to use them.
>>
>>940535
>Hobbyists just want to use the whole board they already paid $30 for to make a "permanent" project. Then they just buy a new board.

This triggers me. Do people not understand the term "prototyping board"?
>>
>>940560
I mean, I like to have two boards for each platform (Makes debugging intercommunication a lot easier.) but yeah.

I saw a video the other day on YouTube of some dude "Celebrating Arduino Day" and had bought like 10 Unos.

Official Unos, from the Italians.

I then did the math, he spent upwards of $300 on what effectively amounts to 10 ATMega328's.
>>
>>940336
microchip will kill avr and transition everyone to pic16
>>
>>940611
That would be a tremendously stupid business move.

If that market dries up, people are just as likely to move to the MSP430 or any number of ARM Cortex-Mx vendors as to the PIC architectures.

They will continue to manufacture existing AVR silicon as long as it sells. Just don't expect new AVR silicon after the Atmel engineering teams finish this upcoming cycle.
>>
>>940628
msp430 doesnt have the same price & features of the PIC line.

besides, everything will eventually be chinese 8051 & ARM.
>>
File: 20131129173224!P32MX250-04.jpg (414KB, 2551x1841px) Image search: [Google]
20131129173224!P32MX250-04.jpg
414KB, 2551x1841px
>>940336
Let's use PIC32MX(MIPS) Pinguino.
>>
ESP32 ftw
>>
>>940611
if you follow tech, you'd know it's the other way around
>>
>>940336
- Intel manufactures the boards and paid a license to market it as Arduino. Intel is trying to buy their way into the market.
- Still twice as expensive as similar spec 32-bit ARM boards from STMicro and Freescale.
- It runs an operating system that takes up 56K out of the 80k SRAM.
- BGA
>>
>>940677
Who cares, Microchip sells stuff to make money, not to please autists.
My equally valuable straight-from-ass guess is that they keep selling both PICs and AVRs. If something is axed, it's Atmel's ARMs and/or 8051s. And the memory lines of the company which has higher production costs.
>>
>>940683
You had me at "it runs an operating system".
>>
>>940649
>EVERYTHING through-hole
>On a commercially available board.

I could understand if you were selling a "Learn to solder" kit, but really?
>>
>>940735
>They didn't even align the resistors in the same direction
>>
>>940651
Still waiting on all the pwm modes to be supported. :/
>>
>>940502
BGA is easy as fuck to use. The key is to have a reflow oven. You can build one for a couple hundred bucks.

1. get oshstencil kapton stencil
2. place all parts in paste
3. reflow
4. done

I've asssembled 20+ bga boards in my bedroom with no failures.
>>
>>940952
Assembly is not the issue.
Many BGA chips require more than two layers to break-out them. Not only desing gets tricky but you cannot manufacture the board at your garage.
Even with double sided PCB you will have hard time plating the holes.
>>
>>940952
pragmatism doesn't work on programmers.
>>
File: 1441890768728.jpg (68KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1441890768728.jpg
68KB, 720x540px
>>940962
literally no reason to make your own pcbs these days. with batch servces you can get bga-grade 4layer pcbs for cheap. even having china make a small run of 5 can be done under a hundred bucks now.

though I agree that for most arduino purpsoes, BGA is not the answer and rarely warranted. I find myself using bga/qfn wherever possible because i get no assembly problems where QFP always fucks up.
>>
>>940970
For serious and smal scale projects i agree with you.
But for your DIY stuff?
When i'm serious about something, like temperature controler, or simple PLC for home automation i can finish the project within 2 days (one weekend). From start (schematics), through testing (breadboard/perfboard), to finished product (double sided PCB).
If i ordered it at factory it woudl take at least one week.
>>
>>940336
>AVR is being flushed from Arduino product line-up.
>better debugging
okay
>ARM chip
often don't really need, but okay
>any kind of wireless built-in
haven't had any need for yet, but okay
>Intel Curie
as long as there is cheapo china versions available, it could work... the China price point for the arduino uno and mega copies seems to be 1/5th the first-world prices.

>>940535
>Hobbyists just want to use the whole board they already paid $30 for to make a "permanent" project. Then they just buy a new board.
I do that.
For the stuff I build, it's not really worth my time to use a bare chip when the whole boards ready-to-run are so cheap.
The whole board itself becomes one easily replaceable component. I've repaired a couple when I burned the power regulators on them, but for any other (self-induced) problems else I just trash them.

>>940611
>microchip will kill avr and transition everyone to pic16
they may kill AVR, but pic costs too much. there's already 32-bit ARM boards cheaper than pic16 shit
>>
So it's going to be a full microcomputer like Raspberry Pi now? That's fine I guess for you're general hobbyist fuckery. Microcomputers are defiantly cool and hella useful. However, while I'll spend $30 for a Pi to make a cheap wifi camera, I'm not spending $30 to blink an LED. Soon they'll just have a complete OS on these things where you won't even have to even program at all to make robots and shit.
>>
Well, I'm just gonna officially move to Propeller now.
>>
>>941022
There are ARM microcontrollers, and not just SoCs like the pi and beaglebone are. Only one pin through from what I recall, but at least one exists.
>>
>>941022
might as well get a pi zero at that point
>>
>>941022
>where you won't even have to even program at all to make robots and shit.
its the future anon.. its gonna look like this

#include <everything>

main(){
be_a_robot(the_rolly_kind);
}

note main wont have to return an int in the future.
>>
>>940502
>>940497
Oh but don't you know anon that soon everything will be BGA?
>>
This https://youtu.be/Pp_bQd2bLvg
>>
If it can handle my stupidy thqt it would be greate 20 usd arduino is unbrekable and can use shitty current
>>
>>943263
Does main ever return anything on mcu programs?
>>
>>944103
I once wrote a runtime which updated crash counters based on the return value. Other than that, never seen any use for the main() return value in mcu environments.

Not that it matters, standards say that main() returns an int.
>>
>>940649
Ummm no.
>>
>>940970
its /diy/ not /g/

So doing something YOURSELF IS REALLY IMPORTANT for fucks sake
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.