[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm building this wardrobe. The interior is made of OSB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: szafa.jpg (263KB, 960x1177px) Image search: [Google]
szafa.jpg
263KB, 960x1177px
I'm building this wardrobe. The interior is made of OSB boards to have freedom of arrangement of shelves and hangers later on. However, I'm a bit concerned about the rough surface of the boards. Splinters coming loose may damage clothes. I don't mean my jeans or polyester but rather my gf's sexy things.

Any ideas what kind of paint would seal OSB well? Is it worth sanding beforehand?
>>
>>940175
Sanding, yes.
Osb can finish up quite nice once properly sanded.
Plenty of example of it being used in furniture around. Only got a link to a stool but a quick Google should give some wardrobe examples

http://youtu.be/ZjBf8S-zSOQ
>>
>>940180
This one is actually crazy. Why would anyone oil OSB?
>>
>>940175
plaster it, theres a way i heard of working, by mixing a plaster and kiltz paint, no vinyl based plaster.. if its chalky then add a coat without plaster to seal it.. i understand kiltz will work ok by itself if you dont care about texture.
>>
>>940187
Why would anyone use OSB for interior finish.
>>
>>940653
To be different.
>>
>>940653
As I wrote, to have freedom of (re)arranging the interior and mount custom hangers/shelves when and where needed. What is better than OSB in that matter?
>>
>>940655
Edgie. That looks fucking disgusting.

>>940670
MDF, plywood.
>>
>>940671
Yeah, it might have worked if they just left the one wall as osb but the whole thing just looks unfinished.

I do like the look of that low bench mind.
>>
>>940180

that looks like some decent quality osb. you brush up against any of the osb at home depot and you'll get splinters everywhere
>>
>>940679
Thats because it hasn't been sanded.
>>
>>940671
>MDF, plywood.

Much harder to work with, would have to invest in new tools.
And more expensive as well.
>>
File: inception.png (116KB, 366x378px) Image search: [Google]
inception.png
116KB, 366x378px
>>940729
>Much harder to work with, would have to invest in new tools.
>>
>>940729

It's more expensive if your time is worthless. Do you really want to go through with finishing a material that really wasn't intended to be finished? OSB is for hidden structural elements.
>>
>>940187
>>940653
>>940679
>>940737

Fun fact, you can actually buy Grade A Interior OSB. It's been "stylish" for a few years. On it's way out though.

>>940729
>Much harder to work with, would have to invest in new tools.

No and no.

To finish it, sand it, prime it, and paint it. You could also go with a thick poly coat if you want the look.
>>
>>940729
Chatting absolute shit is your biggest downfall in life.

>take advice from people who know
Or
>presume advice is wrong and my cheaper uglier decision was the right one

OSB isn't designed for anything on show. As one anon mentioned, regardless if you can now get OSB with that purpose, it doesn't make it any more appealing.
>>
>>940655

God help that poor soul if there was a fire.

OSB goes up faster than a box of matches.
>>
>>940737
All wood needs finishing if it is going to be on show.
You can use some nice pine furniture board but you still going to have to sand it down for a decent finish.

If you haven't got the time for sanding pay me to make your furniture for you.
>>
>>940891
>OSB isn't designed for anything on show.

First of all, it isn't for show. It is the interior of a fucking wardrobe.

Second, I'm not asking what to put instead of OSB while it's already there. I'm asking how to finish the surface to minimize the risk of having loose splinters. If I make another wardrobe I will consider another material. Thank you.

Is it clear now?
>>
As it going to be out of sight.
I would sand and paint.
Couple of coats should be enough... yes osb can flake but its going to take more that couple of hanging garments to loosen any once under some coats of paint.
>>
>>940988
and if you want to keep the natural look lot of coats of high gloss poly should do.
>>
>>940175
Sand it down it around 320 grit, and a couple coats of satin poly.

My brother did his attic floor and walls like this for his office/study/hobby area. Made up a big batch of that weathering vinegar stain. Gave it a nice subtle aged grey look. Everything from his floors to the walls are OSB. Floors were treated about eight times with the weathering solution to darken them more than the walls or ceiling.

Once OSB is sanded smooth it feels just fine and doesnt flake. Start with a rough grit to knock everything loose. Dont be afraid to really work through some material to get small cracks and divots. Then work your way down the grits to 320 for a satin smooth finish.
>>
>>940984

There isn't one. Because OSB isn't made for what you want it to be.

Is it clear now?
>>
>>941099
>there isn't one

Bullshit.

Sand it from an 80 grit down to a 320 and you're golden. OSB can be pretty fucking smooth if you work it. YES, you'll fill the air with dust, so wear a respirator... But it's perfectly doable and people have been doing it for quite a while including floors which see a lot more wear and tear than a cabinet interior.
>>
>>940175
>OSB boards to have freedom of arrangement of shelves and hangers later on.
>using glued together wood chips to hold up shelving, and with the intention of moving them around later.
yea, how about you spend the extra $5 per sheet and just get actual plywood? Then your shelves wont fall down cause it was 70% humidity in the garage or just because they felt like 40+lbs was too much.
>>
>>941129

>Bullshit

Sand however you like, well done. Smooth finish. Will it stop it from chipping and splintering? No. It's now more likely to splinter because the top coat of bonding resin has been stripped away. Well done. Enjoy your shitty wardrobe.

>Including floors.

I've never once seen a finished floor made of OSB.

The point of using Ply or MDF over OSB is that it's neater, finishes easier, Infact with MDF and most high grade ply you can go straight to primer and paint.

It defies the idea of shitty cheap-o can do attitudes. Yeah. You can do but just because you can, should you?

No. Poor standards are inexcusable over the sake of the extra few pounds you'd spend on something that's better suited to a job.
>>
>>941149
You do realise there are 1000s of examples of successfully finished osb out there on the internet.
>>
>>941149
>>
>>941149
or this
>>
>>940175
A coat of polyurethane or epoxy?

Or just take a sheat of plactic to cover the wood
>>
>>941149
>I've never once seen a finished floor made of OSB.

I lived in a room with OSB floor for some 10 years. Not a single problem with that.
>>
>>941149
>I've never once seen a finished floor made of OSB.
Yep that's how it works, if you can't see it it isn't real. Like gravity and fairies.
>>
>>941191
>>941192
>>941218
>>941220

>samefag
And you think that looks appealing? My god, what kind of third world shit hole do you live in?
>>
>>941279
Calm down princes, nobody said they they find that style appealing or not. We were only educating you as your knowldge was lacking, no hard feels.
>>
>>941299

>Lacking
The desire, or lack of, to want to pour epoxy over structural board for finishing purposes is not comparable to not knowing how to do it.

If I wanted to look like someone broke living on a construction site it may be a possible option for flooring; but otherwise I'll stick to hardwood thanks.

>princes
Princess.
>>
>>941307
>>I've never once seen a finished floor made of OSB
Sure sounded like you lacked the knowledge of OSB flooring, sorry for taking your comment in the literal sense, I clearly see my error for not realising when you wrote "I've never once seen a finished floor made of OSB" you were actually saying you lack the desire to pour epoxy over structural board.

Again I am so sorry for upsetting you, and if you want to be called princess that is fine by me, I was intending to call you prince.
>>
I just came into say that OSB is used in plenty of new build properties here in the UK for flooring. It'll never be seen because it'll be covered up with carpet, various tile or laminate decorative wood. You've got to put something down.

The cost and quality issues involved in fitting traditional decent hardwood floorboards make it prohibitive. Not even so much the cost, but just because the wood is so crap most of it isn't straight or workable without significant waste and labour. Why bother when it'll be covered over anyway?

Also OSB has benefits over plywood like greater rigidity. It is better at applications where it needs to support its own weight over greater spans with less support for a given thickness.

I recently had to work on the underside of my victorian staircase. It was covered over with old lathe and paster. When it comes to covering it back up I'll most likely cut a groove and slot in pieces of OSB rather than plywood because it won't sag. It'll be either skim coated then or just straight covered in lining paper and painted because it is a bullshit space under the stairs. Only concern is that I'm breaching some sort of regulation about preventing fire spreading between floors, but I'll read up on it.
>>
>>940175
why not cover with lauan or bead paneling or something
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.