[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The oak on my knife has shrunk around the metal in the dry Canadian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 20160131_215709.jpg (1009KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160131_215709.jpg
1009KB, 3264x1836px
The oak on my knife has shrunk around the metal in the dry Canadian winter, so nothings flush anymore.

What should I do to swell it a bit? Tis treated with boiled linseed oil (should've used tung oil) and epoxied to the metal.

While I'm on the subject, should I treat the sheath with oil or wax?
>>
>>939359
Knife looks terrible. What is wrong with the blade?
>>
>>939373
Just a little short and wide ( like your mother)
>>
>>939375
Looks really shittily made. Like a bad bevel and what not. Looks like YouTube tier diy aluminum lost foam casting
>>
That looks like a toy knife
>>
>>939359
trim the metal down to be flush with the wood again. And treat the sheath with neetsfoot oil.
>>
>>939402
Lets see what you've made then huh mr. cool guy?
>>
File: 20160201_131326.jpg (901KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160201_131326.jpg
901KB, 3264x1836px
I'm dead impressed desu, not bad for babbys first knife. It cuts and it sits on my hip so what more could I ask for?

Right so neetsfoot oil for the sheath no prob.

I'd kinda rather swell the wood if it's possible, don't have any metal working tools until I'm home again next winter.

If swelling wood is stupid tho I'll abandon the idea
>>
>>939643
The knife bevel and shape and hook have so many functional problems is what's bad. It's cool you made it and that you use it but you should keep working. Get a belt sander
>>
Use alcohol to stir the oils, humidity the wood if possible and then reseal with something watertight

Or

Add extra layers of vanish till it's flush
>>
>>939643

Use oil, BLO should do fine. Don't use any waterbased stuff, that will wreck the woodfibers.

Personally I'd just dunk it in oil, if possible create a vacuum to saturate the pores. Take it out after a couple of days and it'll be good for a long time.
>>
>>939359
>>939643
I'm very impressed it you made it pham, but tbqh something is unsettling about looking at it.
It's like the knife is skewed but nothing else in the pic is. It's really hard to put into words but I had to hide both pics.
>>
>>939359
Swelling the wood is a temporary solution. You could soak it mineral oil/inseed oil or something, but it'll be leaching our over your hands for eternity.

Instead, do furniture restorers do and use parafin wax or refinishing wax to fill in the gaps, nobody will see it unless they go looking for it.
>>
Thanks guys I'll start trying these tomorrow
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.