[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dado blades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: 51J9EBDVRVL._SX300_.jpg (23KB, 300x272px) Image search: [Google]
51J9EBDVRVL._SX300_.jpg
23KB, 300x272px
Illegal in Europe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0vuw58Adc

Why.jpg
>>
Not illegal. Saws just have very small arbors so as to discourage their use.

Motor brakes cannot stop that much mass in a timely manner and blade guards don't work with them, so Eurocrats did what they do best.
>>
Probably the same reason guns are illegal.
>the government thinks you're fragile little pansies that can't take care of yourselves
>liberals
>>
>>938798
the regulations have specified that spinning blades must come to a full and complete stop within 10 seconds of the power to the blade being shut off if the blade is readily accessible to the operator's body.

Large fab shops and equipment used industrially have retractable blade guards, or heavier duty engine brakes to comply with the regulations.
>>
>>938798
Buy and old saw with a long arbor.. problem solved. my saw has like idk 5 inches of useable arbor? was made in the 1950s.
>>
>>938798
This is illegal? Maybe in a civilised country.
I live in Europe and I use them, don't have any special permit for them, just had to look for them a bit longer since the local shop didn't carry them
>>
In Germany every professional has to be a member of the Berufsgenossenschaft (BG).
The BG provides insurance for work related accidents, but demands that all members adhere to strict safety standards, such as only using BG certified tools and techniques.

Dado blades are not BG certified and as such no professional woodworker uses them to build stuff. A Private person can use any tool they want, but because there is no professional market for not certified tools, dado blades are scarce and expensive.
>>
File: hw_wpl_verstellnuter_guhdo.jpg (48KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
hw_wpl_verstellnuter_guhdo.jpg
48KB, 320x320px
>>938892
To elaborate further, we do have so called Verstellnuter, but they're only for routers, not for table saws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5seB9-E3Q
>>
You can get dado blades and use dado blades in the UK. They just don't sell contractor saws with arbors suited to their use so you have to either fuck with it yourself or get cabinet saw suited to their use.
>>
>>938892
but then how do they cut grooves and dadoes in a production environment?
dado blades exist because they're fast and easy.
do they all just use chisel and router plane, or do lots of passes on a regular table saw blade?
>>
>>938963
>>938899
>>
>>938963
I would assume you could table-saw both sides, then route the middle out?
>>
>>938970
I made some simple crosses with a carpenter buddie of mine, he made the dados by making two cuts left and right and then slid the piece from side to side between the two cuts, slowly moving forward after each pass.

I'm not sure if that's BG certified in case of a fuck up.
>>
>>938963
Not as fast or as easy as a router. This might be open to opinion and interpretation but I really don't think setting up a dado stack perfectly is as quick as using router and set size cutter.
>>
>>938999
>>938970
Hadn't considered router.
>>
>>938798
Just use a router or a chisel.
>>
American with access to all options here.

>>938999
I don't use the dado stack unless I have to batch out many odd-shaped dados. But the advantage is, you only have to fiddle and experiment with the shims once. Once you confirm the width of the dado with calipers, you write down the shims used. The blade itself is a monstrously efficient cutting machine, and something about it....the eery silence when it spins, and how my particular set channels 100% of dust into my dust collector (more so than any cutting tool I've seen) makes it so much fun to use. Shame you guys don't have these.

But yes putting in the stack itself is a pain in the ass and I always fear banging the carbides together and and ruining my investment, so in practice I just use a router table.
>>
I don't get the problem here?

Europe is pretty small and each country is like a state in the USA. A lot of places simply don't have trees that are being timbered. Most everything is imported and expensive. Woodworking is a highly regulated trade skill.

Asking about wood working tools in Europe is like asking about snow plows in Florida.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (350KB, 3000x1691px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
350KB, 3000x1691px
>>938963
In Europe the ol' wobble blade is more common than dados. Its basically a single table saw blade that mounts at an angle. It doesn't go as fast as a dado and it leaves a concave bottom but it meats all the regulations.
>>
>>939130
It seems to be at least as popular in Britain tho
>>
>>939095
My man. I wish I had never bought my stacked dado set. It was great until I purchased a router and realized just how shitty my rabbets and dados had been. I get much better precision now.
>>
>>939138
Along with cleaner cuts.
>>
>>939138
??? you aren't supposed to use a dado stack in your shitty Ryobi plastic saw.
>>
>>938875

Anything longer than 3 inches is banned in the UK.

So that is why anyone with a dick longer than the average britfag's needs a visa (special permit) to prevent the Brits from getting cucked when all the girls see you exit the plane.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_175440714_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_175440714_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>using a dado

I bet radial arm saws are illegal over there too.
Pardon the shoddy table.
>>
>>939219
Theyre legal, just not common.
>>
>>939219
PowerShop 1400? Mah brothah. I've got one too. Came with the factory cabinet and a ton of blades. Got in on CL for free because the power switch was broken (dude thought it was a blown motor) and left it for the next tenant to deal with. New tenant didn't want it so he gave it up for free.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 480x640px
>>939223
Aww, thought it might've been cause someone cut their arm off or something.
>>939225
It's a 1511 actually! Damn good job getting it for free though brah.
I got mine for 81 bucks, just picked it up yesterday and rebuilt the cabinets over the fridge in my new house already. Had to raise them for when I replace the disgusting carpet in the kitchen with hardwood cause I had a grand total of an 1/8 of an inch.

I also got pic related, 3 finish blades, and a bunch of pipe clamps for 20 bucks.

Have you built a table for yours? My only complaint is the tables pretty out of whack now, puts a little bezel on everything I cut, not huge though.

>>938798
Christ I just realized that's a 8" dado.
>>
>>939140
And I don't. I use them in my Delta Cabinet Saw, Pudlicker.
>>
File: 17231-B[1].jpg (39KB, 487x650px) Image search: [Google]
17231-B[1].jpg
39KB, 487x650px
>>939242
Radial arm saws are tricky to get zeroed in. DeWalts are good though. Once zeroed in they hold it very well. Craftsman brand RAS of the era and later were basically garbage and gave the radial arm saw a bad name. Check out vintagemachinery.org and dig up a manual for your machine. It will have instructions on how to get it zeroed in properly.

This picture is from vintage machinery. Its a Powershop 1400 with the same setup as mine. It seems the 1400 was the model that followed the 1511 in the mid 1960s.
>>
File: DSC05272.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05272.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
Thats the stupidest shit Ive ever heard.

I own 2 saws and 3 dado sets and all work. One is a cabinet saw and the other an older 120V saw.

Here are two perched on the panels of my latest project

Dadoes are not particularly dangerous. Never had kickback from one.

PS My father in law gave me the "wobble" dado when he gave me the small saw but I don't actually use it as I have 2 Dimar sets already. Anyone want to buy it?
>>
>>939134
This is the one I have but don't actually want

>>939645 Here it is
>>
>day-doh
>not da-doh
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.