[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give it to me straight /diy/. How fucked am I here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_20160128_194428.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160128_194428.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Give it to me straight /diy/. How fucked am I here?
>>
>>937770
Context?
>>
>>937770
That's herpes. Sorry anon.
>>
>>937771

Taking down some old wood paneling in a friend's house. Went to remove the A/C vent cover to make things easier and saw this after taking out the filter.
>>
File: IMG_20160128_194459.jpg (4MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160128_194459.jpg
4MB, 2992x4000px
>>
>>937776
>>937777
Good god. Wear a mask. Is that condensation in >>937770 all over?
>>
>>937779

Yeah. Looks wet in there. It's this something I can take care of myself, or do we need to calm a pro?
>>
>>937782

*call
>>
>>937794
>>937782
I would get a consult at least. It might be non toxic mold but if it's serious shirt you could die so....
>>
File: 18430949-asbestos-removal.jpg (259KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
18430949-asbestos-removal.jpg
259KB, 500x375px
>>937770
Is that asbestos? what are you scared of? Mold?
you westcucks are such a whiny faggots...

>pic related an abandoned factory in Bulgaria
>>
That's black mold. Aka the dangerous kind of mold. It's still possible for you to remove this on you're own. But if you were exposed to it without any kind of protective gear, then I would go to a doctor and tell them that you were heavily exposed to toxic mold. As far as fixing it. You're going to have to buy a set of air tight Google's and a p100 mask/respirator. And seal off that section in what's called a negative pressure chamber. You can make an NPC by sealing up the room or whatever with tape and tarps and use a box fan or something to draw the air inside, to outside. But the wood and anything else that's contaminated with mold is going to have to be replaced and cleaned.
>>
>>937916
TOP KEK
are you really suck a faggots?
That mold was already in his ventilation system for ages...
>>
>>937918
>already in his ventilation system for ages...

This.

I'd still wear a mask and a bunny suit. If it's damp, it's safer. Spores are less likely to go flying around the house (as if they haven't already). Maybe clean up with a HEPA filter shop vac.
>>
>>937916
all mould is toxic and the term "black mould" is actually racist.

If you want to remove it yourself op wet it down and wipe it up with soap and water. Don't use bleach because bleach is also toxic, plus it is corrosive.
>>
>>937908
Is this a western thing? I'm afraid to scrape down my popcorn ceiling because of asbestos.
>>
>>937971
westerners are acting like pussies when it comes to asbestos, even tho they use to make baby clothes in the US out of asbestos fibers in the 30's.
Not to mention lead paint, to which they still act like absolute faglords, no matter that 70 years ago they literally painted their whole continent with it.
Overreacting douches, as usual.
>>
>>937963
This, but I think it's be easier to let them know their children are on they way. They'll be out of your house before you know it.
>>
>>937994
Not to mention everyone forgets all the crap leaded gasoline put into the environment.
>>
>>937994
IIRC, it was actually China that fucked up asbestos for everyone. There's two kinds of asbestos: white and red. I can never remember which is which, but the kind that we used for most everything was the one that has longer fiber lengths which are too big to cause cancer. China (or some other eastern supplier) flooded the market with the other kind for hella cheap that had the super small fiber lengths that fuck up lungs and cause cancer, so instead of trying to limit the supply to just the good kind, they banned all of it.
>>
>>938014
nigga, we still deliver drinking water over asbestos pipes in here...

just first google result for people selling these.
5 pieces, 4 meters each, φ350mm = ~40$ wanna buy some to scare the shit out of your neighbors?
>>
>>938014
None of that is correct.
>>
>>938014
thank you for perpetuating urban legend shared by retarded trades people
>>
Don't fuck with mold. Call someone who knows what they're doing, or is at least willing to adopt the risk that comes with futzing around with mold.
>>
You americans will make anything out of fucking wood.
>>
File: dumbest.png (21KB, 263x200px) Image search: [Google]
dumbest.png
21KB, 263x200px
>>938014
>There's two kinds of asbestos: white and red.
>>
>>937770
>Give it to me straight /diy/. How fucked am I here?
Not that fucked. If you are not ill from the mold, then there's no reason to panic.

You have a high humidity problem; that is what is allowing the mold to grow... Get rid of the humidity and let the house dry out, and the mold will die right where it is and never cause a problem.

The house may need to be ventilated better (does the furnace have a fresh air exchange?) or you may need to run a dehumidifier if you live in a humid climate.
>>
>>937777
Does your friend have strange new health conditions since moving in?
>>
>>938014
That is fucking wrong.

Asbestos is 1 thing and it breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces until it becomes a problem for your lungs.
>>
Str8 fukd
>>
>>938158
http://www.asbestos.com/asbestos/types.php
But actually >>938014 would be wrong. Longer fibers worse in asbestos.
>>
>>937963

No way, soap and water is WAY too fucking harsh.

OP, gently - GENTLY - ask the mold to leave. Be polite. Don't talk back to it. Maybe offer the mold a glass of milk and a cookie.

If it doesn't want to leave voluntarily, gather some friends and have a sit-in protest.
>>
>>937916

>You're going to have to buy a set of air tight Google's

Jesus fuck man, just one regular Google is like $700 per share, how much is an air tight set?
>>
Man I'd start with a respirator and bleach in a spray bottle. Bleach fucking everything then bleach it again.

Anything that doesn't come clean tear out and replace.

Bleach destroys all.
>>
>>938012
Sure we only stopped with that cos of the catalytic converters tho
>>
>>938413
Nah, leaded may be bad for cats, but the real reason was they came up with decent knock reducing compounds to replace lead. A side effect was unhardened valve seats got eaten away at because lead also acted as a conditioner. And as shady as it may be, I run AvBlu in my old cars (with an upper cylinder lubricant additive of course.
>>
>>938014
Well this is fucking stupid.
>>
>>937770
Back to OP, that's pretty fucked. The "good" thing is, whenever you've been at your friends house, you've been getting lungfuls of this nonstop, so you're not dead yet and don't have terrible respiratory shit.
You can clean it, but probably will have to tear it out. That's why you insulate the duct.
>>
Bleach it and wipe it down. Mold wax only an issue asbold time click bait before it was called click bait. Is been discredited as a risk in every study unless you already have immune issues. You've been breathing mold with every breathe since you were born.

Besides that, the entire line will have grown not just what you can see.
>>
>>937994
Average lifespans back in the day were much shorter because of cavalier attitudes to shit that can fuck you up.
>>
Look for online science-based advice. This is 4chan.
>>
>>937916
>But if you were exposed to it without any kind of protective gear
LOL
look closer at the pic: the WHOLE HOUSE has been exposed for who knows how long? a decade? maybe more?

wear a decent mask and wet ti down and then rip the shit out and put into a plastic bag. done. clean up whats left in the box with soap water and mayeb some sort of mold/mildew spray like what ya use in the bathroom shower... best its gonna be unless you go ahead a tear out the box as well and replace that too.. but how far are you going to go? all the ducts in the house have also been "exposed"....
>>
>>938433
>That's why you insulate the duct.
usually the insulation goes on the OUTSIDE of the duct?! right?! putting it inside was just asking for trouble...
>>
>>938438
>You've been breathing mold with every breathe since you were born.
spores are EVERYWHERE at all times. they are just waiting to find the right conditions (nice dark damp corner) to start to grow... if you don't create the right conditions they won't grow and you won't have a problem but the spores are still there and always will be.... waiting....
>>
File: asbestos.png (173KB, 949x662px) Image search: [Google]
asbestos.png
173KB, 949x662px
>>938014
Wow, I don't think any part of your post is correct. Impressive.

"Asbestos" refers to a crystal habit (shape), and so there are many different minerals that are all considered to be asbestos. There are 6 different types of asbestos, but only 4 have been used commercially: Chrysotile (white asbestos), Amosite (brown asbestos), Anthophyllite, and Crocidolite (blue asbestos). The other unused types are Actinolite and Tremolite.

Broadly speaking there are two principal types of asbestos: 'amphibolite asbestos' and 'serpentine asbestos'. Amphibolite asbestos has an amphibole structure, and so the fibers are straight and needle-like. Serpentine asbestos (see: chrysotile in pic related) has a continuous structure, and so the fibers coil up.

The idea that there is good and bad asbestos is because serpentine asbestos is somewhat less harmful than amphibolite asbestos. While both types cause asbestosis, only amphibolite asbestos has been definitively proven to cause mesothelioma. Serpentine asbestos is associated with mesothelioma, but has not been definitively proven to be a cause, and requires greater exposure to cause asbestosis.

95% of all asbestos used is chrysotile.

1/2
>>
File: Amphibole_structure.gif (9KB, 335x167px) Image search: [Google]
Amphibole_structure.gif
9KB, 335x167px
>>938014
>>938480

Pic related is the crystal structure of amphibole and the reason why amphibolite asbestos is shaped like needles
>>
>>937770
>>937776
I still don't understand what it IS though.
>>
>>938480
>95% of all asbestos used is chrysotile.
so, the 'less' harmful one?
>>
>>938484
it might just be standard type (yellow or pink) insulation with a layer of grey dust and black mold on it...
>>
>>938489
Yes
Just remember that both still cause asbestosis and chrysotile likely causes mesothelioma, though hasn't been completely proven yet.
>>
>>938521
more likely if you work long term in an industry that uses this stuff. a one time minor exposure isn't going to mean instant death. of course be smart and wear a good mask. wet it down. carefully pull it out and put directly into a plastic bag. seal the bag. I doubt there would be any great risk with moderate precautions. from the OP pic it is such a small amount.
its not like yer going to sprinkle it on yer breakfast cereal every morning for cripes sake.
this is even assuming the insulation in the pic is even asbestos in the first place...
>>
File: olDrippy.jpg (8KB, 304x270px) Image search: [Google]
olDrippy.jpg
8KB, 304x270px
>>937770
looks fine to me
>>
>>937770
hey, anon. none of these smart asses mentioned contacting poison control, and seeing about a lab test using a sample of the mold. if its stachybotrys a lung full could kill you fast.
>>
>>937770
It's not asbestos, firstly. It's regular old duct insulation. Don't disturb the mold; put bleach & water in a spray bottle and give that shit a spray. Wait a few hours and then do it again. Wipe away. The real problem is that you have a condensation issue. That is what needs to be figured out and fixed so this doesn't happen again.
>>
>>938020
only if you breath the dust it would be dangerous
>>
i think its not realy more dangerous than glass fiber
but they discovered that its dangerous after they used it in so many things so they overreacted and banned it

the bundeswehr made a research wich shows that carbonfibers are getting realy realy cancerous if they burn
>>
>>938064
The Libby Montana asbestos disaster
http://www.asbestos.com/jobsites/libby.php
>>
File: 1439185985087.jpg (85KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1439185985087.jpg
85KB, 680x680px
>>937777
nice quads tho
>>
>>938053
>at least we don't have to dig up dead people to bury new ones
>>
File: 1439873182786.png (750KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1439873182786.png
750KB, 625x626px
>>938014
>>938029
>>938032
>>938064
>>938158
>>938216
>>938480
>>
>>938393
:-)
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.