[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chicken and the Egg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

This thread is for the discussion of design methodologies and how you approach your design process.

For example I have had a dilemma recently where I am in the process of designing a multi purpose device but cannot decide what the primary purpose/use of the device will be(for multiple reasons).

So in short - let's talk about challenges we have faced during our design and mock up phases and how we overcame these since we all know that adequate planning goes hand in hand with a well thought out final product.
>>
>>936787
the purpose of multi purpose devices is to display it in the bottom of the cupboard somewhere.

design something that does one job well. then add features. the multitool for example. it's a pocket knife. who doesnt need a pocket knife? but then you get a trade off over time between how useful carrying around a fucking toothpick and rope cutter and bottle opener really is. but then there is the market for a real all in one tool.

so tell us OP, who do you think will buy your multitool and for what purpose?
>>
Use case should dictate design, not just some unfocused desire to make a thing.

List what it is to be able to do. That won't compromise your IP, and since multipurpose devices will suck at most tasks you can get some input on how to distribute the suckage to best advantage.

Consider multitools. They suck, but they suck less than not having a tool. Users select based on their personal task priorities. I for example most need pliers, cutters,knives and screwdrivers. A multitool can be with me when my shop is not, or at hand to save travel to get a tool.
>>
>>936787
>I am in the process of designing a multi purpose device but cannot decide what the primary purpose
so you have fuck all basically

>>936815
>who doesnt need a pocket knife?
literally everyone doesn't need a pocket knife
i don't know anyone who uses one at all never mind regularly or day to day
>>
>>937017
Hows oregon?
inb4 washington
>>
>>936787
>>designing a multi purpose device but cannot decide what the primary purpose/use of the device will be
that's not designing, that's just fucking around. You figure out what your device is gonna do, using input from people who would really use it, figure out what functions it has to perform, and figure out how to fulfill those functions.
>>
>>937049
I don't know who you think I am.
I have never been to a 3rd world country
>>
Thanks for the input guys, sorry I havn't been able to respond as quickly as I normally would be able to.

Anyway I think you've all basically given me the ideas I need to do what I need to do. That is decide on a primary purpose followed by some more user research.
>>
File: get-a-life-bin-that-knife.jpg (563KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
get-a-life-bin-that-knife.jpg
563KB, 2048x1536px
>>937389
Oh so you're from one of those countries that went full pussy mode?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.